Irish Poker Boards
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Poker > General Poker

Old 14-05-16, 08:50   #321
Lazare
GFML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashka View Post
Pretty good. You should have held out for magic beans.
I felt I got more than they were worth.
Old 14-05-16, 12:03   #322
Shashka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazare View Post
I felt I got more than they were worth.
So did I.
Old 10-11-16, 22:32   #323
Duffman K

First time posting here,

I've been playing poker for about two years, started playing tournaments and cash in college and micro stakes online. Being a broke college student, played usually smaller live tournaments every now and then with buy ins usually <50 with a decent amount of success. I've read a few books and watched a lot of videos/ twitch streams, I've still a lot to learn though I know.

I'm now working so can play tournaments and cash especially a lot more comfortably without playing scared money. I've been running pretty well the last couple of months, making a fairly decent profit. Online I play a small bit, still mostly micro stakes really, just gets frustrating going really deep in a MTT with thousands of runners, playing for 6 or 7 hours and then busting for like 15. I would like to play slightly higher stakes online but I don't know if I'd be good enough really to be profitable.

Two questions,

1 - Made it to the final table of one the side events at the IPO there on Halloween. 6 players left, me and 2 others are very short stacked, all 3 of us I'd say 5-7BBs approx. There was roughly a 1,000 jump in payouts between 6th and 3rd. Guy to my left is chip leader with massive stack.

It was the hand before a break, I'm in the BB. One of the other small stacks open shoves from the CO for 5BB, it folds around to me and I have pocket deuces with maybe 6BB including the one in the pot. I tank for a bit and call. He had KK. Even though I thought he would have a fairly narrow shoving range due to the pay jumps, I figured I'd just hope we were flipping and he had AK,AQ etc. If I had folded, after the break I would have been in the SB with like 3or4 BB with pretty much no fold equity with the massive stack to my left. Not sure if I should have folded the deuces or not.

2- Bankroll- for live tournaments, don't know exactly where to draw the line with buy-ins. What sort of bankroll should I have playing 1 maybe 2 tournaments a week with buy ins usually between 40-110 ?
I really want to play the main event at the Fitz for 440 but I'm not sure if it's a great idea.
Duffman K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-16, 22:54   #324
newbie2

i'm never calling with 22 here. You're flipping for your tourney life. With 3 stacks so short - you're looking to ladder as far as possible. Calling for flips is not the way to do that.

With regards bankroll - it's said you need 100x buy ins for a decent tourney bankroll, so you need a 4000/11000. There's a lot more variance in tournaments that cash games.
While you may have been on a good run for a couple of months - what happens when you go on a bad run for say 7 months ? 2 tournaments X 70 per week X 7 months is 3900.
Old 11-11-16, 07:38   #325
Duffman K

Yeah, you're probably right there. I knew with the blinds and antes so high that after the break I'd have to shove within 2 or 3 hands with pretty much no fold equity, and odds of me getting better than 22 in those 3 hands fairly low. At the time I was thinking if I was flipping and I won, it would have given me a fighting chance of coming in the top 3.
Old 11-11-16, 17:53   #326
noname1255

to get exactly the correct answer we need to know exact stack sizes and exact payouts if you are shortest stack then its a big difference to being 4th or whatever
noname1255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-16, 19:30   #327
skpmn

You thought over your decision to make that call,and then asked here for future guidance. That's half the battle when you are still learning,and shows your line of thinking is positive. Continue watching the coaching videos.Read as much as you can,and look and listen to your opponents at the table.The learning curve will be littered with mistakes,but learning from them,and adapting as you progress will take you a long way from your starting position. Be disciplined with your bank roll, and never stop believing in yourself. Good luck.
skpmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 16-11-16, 20:23   #328
Duffman K

Quote:
Originally Posted by skpmn View Post
Good luck.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by noname1255 View Post
to get exactly the correct answer we need to know exact stack sizes and exact payouts if you are shortest stack then its a big difference to being 4th or whatever
Blinds 25k/50k ante 5k (last hand before break, after break would be 30k/60k 10k ante)

Payouts - 6th - 1,410 5th- 1,865 4th- 2,375 3rd- 3,145 2nd- 4,320 1st- 7,250 + trip to vegas worth about 2,000 with entry to WSOP Colossus game I think.

Approx. Stacks -

SB - 750k
BB - 320k - (Me)
UTG - 2.5 million
UTG+1 - 1.5 million
CO - 310k
Button - 400k

Folds to CO, he shoves, I tank and call. As I said, looking back on it should have probably folded.
Old 18-11-16, 15:16   #329
PeaceandFire
Banned

Welcome Duffman :-)
PeaceandFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-17, 05:01   #330
Ballyegan

probably not needing own thread so will ask here.. I actually have two questions.

first: has anyone tried the poker book Grinders Manual? I have heard a couple good things about it on reddit so was thinking of buying but its so expensive...

second: does anyone know if this guide on how to play poker is any good? I've been reading so much drivel and outdated strategy stuff and was hoping for a second opinion on this one, seems fairly good but again most free strategy stuff online can be fairly iffy.

sometimes i think people put out terrible info to keep games soft...
Ballyegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-17, 07:47   #331
PeaceandFire
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballyegan View Post
probably not needing own thread so will ask here.. I actually have two questions.

first: has anyone tried the poker book Grinders Manual? I have heard a couple good things about it on reddit so was thinking of buying but its so expensive...

second: does anyone know if this guide on how to play poker is any good? I've been reading so much drivel and outdated strategy stuff and was hoping for a second opinion on this one, seems fairly good but again most free strategy stuff online can be fairly iffy.

sometimes i think people put out terrible info to keep games soft...
Welcome to the Forum Bally Egan!
I have heard it's very comprehensive as a book. Particularly if starting out.

For me anything i read is sure to broaden my knowledge as I know so little. So I may not be best placed to answer though. It's probably a material source that is beyond me.

If you have amazon prime you can borrow this book through their kindle borrowing library for no charge. This is a good way to read the book for "free". For a little while.

I don't know anything about that online guide though.

Anyway welcome again! Please post lots!
PeaceandFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-17, 12:37   #332
Demen

Hey everyone. I am new here. Could you help with some guides about poker. What should i read for the first? I know rules and play a lil bit. But now wanna know smth more. Also, few words pls abour rakeback. Thx, guys)
Demen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-17, 12:39   #333
Demen

Member Ballyegan sent this article http://playonlinepoker.ie/how-to-pla...r-microstakes/, and btw, its pretty good and usefull. At least for me
Old 07-07-17, 12:47   #334
Demen

And should i read book Grinders Manual. Is it good? or maybe some youtube channels that will help me. Also i found https://worldpokerdeals.com/ website, that provides access to closed poker fields... are they better? What is the benefit from closed sources. Will be grateful for all infromation
Old 07-07-17, 12:48   #335
Flushdraw
The Gamesmaster

Solid. Within 2 mins of posting, he read it, sent you the article, you read it and managed to post a link to it here. That's impressive!
Flushdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-17, 13:01   #336
Demen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flushdraw View Post
Solid. Within 2 mins of posting, he read it, sent you the article, you read it and managed to post a link to it here. That's impressive!
No, i've read the article before. After i registered here and asked about more information and taged his article. Sry for this trash, maybe i just have too much questions and have mess in my head
Old 30-05-18, 14:18   #337
CruelCoin

Hi all,

First time poster.

I used to play a bit of poker 8/9 years ago, and i recently rediscovered some unused cash sitting idle in my Full Tilt account, which together with a recent local tourney rekindled my interest.

Couple of questions:

1 - If i'm playing Zoom poker on Full Tilt / Pokerstars, can I assume that the ranges are tighter than normal? If yes, by how much should I tighten my ranges, if we assume i'm playing approx 15% of my hands in full-ring.

2 - Not sure I see it here on these boards, but is there anywhere where I can find and join local cash-games etc? Some site/app to help me find local players to play a home game with, over a few brewskies?

3 - I've been studying ranges for the first time, and one thing puzzles me.
I often see cards like 76s, 87s, etc in ranges, but not T9s, 98s.
What is the rationale behind overlooking stronger connectors in favour of weaker ones?
Is it a ploy to fool your opponent to widening his perceived range of you, or is it to increase the number of flops you can hit, etc?

I'll have more questions, but thanks for any advice in advance.

Roy.
CruelCoin is offline   Reply With Quote

Irish Poker Boards > Poker > General Poker