tethering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tethering

anyone else have all you can eat data with 3?

is it possible to tether the galaxy s3 -i have tried it but not working ...
    what am i missing?

thanks

Easily done. Here is a cut/paste from t'interwebs to save me typing.

Step 1: Go To Galaxy S3 “Settings” ,then “More settings”.

Step 2: Now your are on the Wireless and Networks Menu. So,chose the “Tethering and portable hotspot”

Step 3: Enable “Portable Wi-Fi hotspot function”.

Step 4:Setup your network name- network SSID ( any) and network key to only you or authorized person for access- Password (any). The security on your Wi-Fi is provided by providing the password using the WPA2 PSK security.

Step 5:Click save.

Step 6: Open your PC or laptop Wi-Fi, then search your Galaxy s3 network SSID which you have setup, then enter the password. Now your PC or laptop can connect to internet.

Comment

You can also get Apps which can put a switch on your home page to do it with one touch. I use powertoggles for this purpose, very good app.

Also re advice above, maybe its because I'm vodafone, but my S3 came with the password for the tethering directly programmed in. You can see the passport in the same settings menu as mentioned above. So once the thethering is turned on, scan for wireless networks with the device you're looking to browse the internet on. My S3 network is called AndroidHotspotXXXX. Log on and when asked for the key type in the password visible on your S3 settings menu.

Comment

Originally posted by reilly110 View Post
        anyone else have all you can eat data with 3?

is it possible to tether the galaxy s3 -i have tried it but not working ...
        what am i missing?

thanks
        I don't have an S3 but I know until I downloaded the HTC sync software I could not get my phone to tether.

@ Dom - That sounds more like connecting using the wireless than tethering? When I tether I turn on my mobile network. Attach phone to computer using the USB cable that came with the phone and when the phone recognises it is attached to the comp I chose tether from the list. (I just noticed you said you C&P that advice..)

There is the choice of charge only, mount as disk drive, tether (or share phones internet with comp)

I do not have to put in any passwords unlike when you use it as a wireless hotspot where you scan for the SSID

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
          I don't have an S3 but I know until I downloaded the HTC sync software I could not get my phone to tether.

@ Dom - That sounds more like connecting using the wireless than tethering? When I tether I turn on my mobile network. Attach phone to computer using the USB cable that came with the phone and when the phone recognises it is attached to the comp I chose tether from the list. (I just noticed you said you C&P that advice..)

There is the choice of charge only, mount as disk drive, tether (or share phones internet with comp)

I do not have to put in any passwords unlike when you use it as a wireless hotspot where you scan for the SSID
          Nope what Dom posted is correct it's how I set up my wireless hotspot (tethering) there is two ways to do it the way posted above and also the way you use by connecting it to the phone, Dom's way is just easier.
          "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
            Nope what Dom posted is correct it's how I set up my wireless hotspot (tethering) there is two ways to do it the way posted above and also the way you use by connecting it to the phone, Dom's way is just easier.
            I find my way much easier No need for SSID and passwords. Both Tony and I tether using the cable.

Comment

10 People can tether off one phone if you use wifi. You set up the SSID and passwords once and it takes about 90 seconds. I don't see how messing around with cables is easier tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                10 People can tether off one phone if you use wifi. You set up the SSID and passwords once and it takes about 90 seconds. I don't see how messing around with cables is easier tbh.
                Is Spanish easier to learn than French? Depends on what people think so you can't say that what MrsF finds easier isn't?

If I'm in a hotel and there's no wifi, i use my charger lead to connect my phone to my laptop, press Enter 2 seconds later when it pops up on screen and i've internet access. I find that a lot easier and quicker than this

Step 1: Go To Galaxy S3 “Settings” ,then “More settings”.

Step 2: Now your are on the Wireless and Networks Menu. So,chose the “Tethering and portable hotspot”

Step 3: Enable “Portable Wi-Fi hotspot function”.

Step 4:Setup your network name- network SSID ( any) and network key to only you or authorized person for access- Password (any). The security on your Wi-Fi is provided by providing the password using the WPA2 PSK security.

Step 5:Click save.

Step 6: Open your PC or laptop Wi-Fi, then search your Galaxy s3 network SSID which you have setup, then enter the password. Now your PC or laptop can connect to internet.
                Tethering can be done through the USB cable or through Bluetooth, so whichever works for Reilly and whichever he finds easier is best. At least he has 2 options

Comment

I find my way much easier No need for SSID and passwords. Both Tony and I tether using the cable.
                  You set it up once and voila done, I have switches on my homescreen I just touch the wifi hotspot and it turns on. Much more convenient as multiple people can connect to it.

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                    Obv if you wish to have more than one machine share the internet connection then using as a mobile hotspot is the way to go, but for a single connection I, personally find the cable easier. Plus HTC can do 8 on the hotspot, but on my phone it said 5 afair.

Comment

You set it up once and voila done, I have switches on my homescreen I just touch the wifi hotspot and it turns on. Much more convenient as multiple people can connect to it.
                      We don't tell the kids we can do that or our computers would run too slow! since we both have HTC phones and with 3 we use the connections for personal use only, stuff that sharing stuff haha

Comment

We don't tell the kids we can do that or our computers would run too slow! since we both have HTC phones and with 3 we use the connections for personal use only, stuff that sharing stuff haha
                        It really is nifty, was out playing poker the other week and brought my Nexus 7 with me just fired up with wifi hotspot and browsed around online at the table certainly wouldn't want to be carrying a cable with me all the time and be kinda awkward having at the table or just on the go. It is pretty handy though that we have the option to connect it a couple different ways

Comment

It really is nifty, was out playing poker the other week and brought my Nexus 7 with me just fired up with wifi hotspot and browsed around online at the table certainly wouldn't want to be carrying a cable with me all the time and be kinda awkward having at the table or just on the go. It is pretty handy though that we have the option to connect it a couple different ways
                          We use our tethering only for when we away from home. We used to use a vodafone mobile stick and when I got my HTC I used that and got a great speed and Tony used the vodafone stick. Tony then got his HTC and the poor wee stick is now redundant and in a drawer somewhere!

I agree totally with what you are saying about the nexus and poker table scenario. It was only ever used for us in Tonys parents house or in hotels where it doesn't matter if you have the cable there or not.

It sure is handy, love it!

Comment

if you have a slower connection you can disable images/scripts when tethering
                            You can set permissions for a website without changing your default settings. Manage site permissions You can easily allow or deny site permissions. You can also g
                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

got it working -used doms method + clicking a few extra things for good measure

thanks everyone

Comment

i use tethering (wireless hotspot samsung G3) the odd time on my laptop. it's been working fine up until today. It says connected and signal strength excellent but isn't working. I've tried everything downloaded kies ( not recognising the phone ) tried connecting by cable. Any ideas ? appreciated

Comment

Turn phone and laptop off and on again. Always worth a try if you are getting unexplained errors where something was working but isn't now.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                    Turn phone and laptop off and on again. Always worth a try if you are getting unexplained errors where something was working but isn't now.
                                    Close Dom - muggins had the mobile data turned off 90 fucking minutes I spent trying to sort it ((
                                    Last edited by nicnicnic; 08-11-12, 21:46.

Comment

Caution.......

After reading this tread i set up tethering with my iphone at home just to see if was any better than my current router and would it improve connectivivty around the house.

I have unlimited data with my o2 package and just got my phone bill which has 78euro extra on it for 80mb of tethering data. I rang them to argue the case of using the phone as a router at home via my mobile data package and got nowhere with them. Apparently you can get a tethering package as an extra so be warned if you didn't already know this......

inform yourself in forum with others

Comment

Originally posted by flash View Post
                                        After reading this tread i set up tethering with my iphone at home just to see if was any better than my current router and would it improve connectivivty around the house.

I have unlimited data with my o2 package and just got my phone bill which has 78euro extra on it for 80mb of tethering data. I rang them to argue the case of using the phone as a router at home via my mobile data package and got nowhere with them. Apparently you can get a tethering package as an extra so be warned if you didn't already know this......

That's only an iphone issue on specific carriers, not a problem with android.

Comment

Working...
                                        X