Da do run run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Da do run run

Ive had a realisation for some time now that I am desperately unfit, not having any meaningful excercise since my weekly five a side game fell through. Also over the last while been puffing out quite a bit so that could do with sorting too, before it got out of control. I decided over Xmas that in the New Year I'd take up road running. Wasnt initially going to put up a log, but figure that every bit of motivation will help so here goes.

Done a bit of research and invested in a good pair of running shoes, and some gear. Also had a look at some programes, couch to 5K, and a couple of ones from running magazines online. Decided not to follow them exactly but got the general gist of what I wanted and needed to do.

Gonna use this thread as an occasional log to keep track of my progress. Also using the imapmyrun app on the phone.

So the first aim is to get to a stage where I can jog 5K continuously, no walking. I reckon that will take maybe 5 weeks. Being realistic and from reading the programmes online, week 1 was about having some 25-30 min sessions which would initially be about 50% jogging and 50% walking. However I wasnt going to time the jog/walk parts of it, instead just go with what I felt while at the same time pushing myself a bit. - Also its helpful running along side a busy road like I am, as you dont really like to be walking for too long.

The plan also at the start is to do 4-5 sessions of 25-30 min each week. These will be weekdays Mon-Fri as I know there's no way in hell I'll do it at the weekend. I head out as soon as I get home from work cause I know if I sit down at all I wont be arsed. Thankfully the weather to date this week has been good and I've gotten out every day from Monday to today and plan to get out tomorrow too.

So details from the mapmyrunapp

Monday - 2.45km in 24:30. This was crazy tough, afterwards felt like my heart was gonna come out through my chest. I was honestly feeling it for about 2 hours after. Body just going WTF was that Kev

Tuesday - 3.36km in 26:48. Legs were all aches and pains all day. Only thing for it was to get back out again. The session wasnt so bad at all. So much so I carried on a bit further, and definitely didnt have the huge aftershock of the first night

Wednesday - 3.67km in 27:23. Again soreness in the legs during the day. But was definitely getting back out. This was probably the most enjoyable session of the week and I didnt notice it passing. probably did 75% jogging to 25% walking

Thursday - 4.06km in 30:14. Not as sore during the day - woot. Found the session a bit tougher as the air seemed thinner for breathing, however managed to do a bit further distance wise, probably still about 75% jog/25% walk.

Intend on getting out again tomorrow night, but have to go to town after work so will depend how quickly I get the stuff done in there.

Thats it to date, I know the times/distance isnt really all that crucial at this early stage but I find it just gives me something to aim at. I'm not too pushed about continuing to do more distance all the time, more looking at trying to move to a continuous jog first.

Hopefully having a log here will help the motivation.

I wouldn't be going out 5 days a week for the moment Kev. I know you think thats the best way forward but from coming from such a untrained unfit state its a recipe for injuries. Go out every second day for the time being until you build up some fitness.

Also, running so much after doing so little could lead to shin splints which will leave you fucked for a while.
    This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
    All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
    The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Working...
    X