4 years and counting...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking good Mellor.
    This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
    All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
    The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Easter week end was a write off. Only back to work today (weds). A fair bit drank over the break.
      Back to it tonight, hopefully it goes well
      Last edited by Mellor; 27-04-11, 01:14.

Comment

Weds - Chest/Back

Warm-up
        Shoulder dislocates - 12 x 3

Back Extenstion - 8 x 3

Realy went through a large ROM for the back extension. Would liek to do some GHR stuff but only have a roman chair. Might be possible, not fully sure

Bench Press
        20kg x 5
        40kg x 5
        60kg x 4
        70kg x 3
        80kg x 2
        87.5kg x 5, 4

The second set felt much better, really thought i had 5 x 2 but just couldn't lock out the last rep. Close though

Pull-ups
        BW x 8, 7, 5+negatives, 5+negatives

There was two guys wait to use this pull up station. (Even though there are other ones about). so I rushed through without taking a long enough rest, the final two sets were short, so threw in two long slow negitives to each

Incline Bench Press
        60kg x 5
        70kg x 5
        60kg x 5
        70kg x 5

Form wasn't great for first @ 70kg, so reset to 60 and pushed 70kg out properly on the 4th set

Spider Row
        30kg x 12
        40kg x 12
        50kg x 12
        60kg x 12

Comment

Thurs - Legs/Shoulders

Squats
          20kg x 5
          60kg x 5
          100kg x 5
          125kg x 5 x 3

Depth was good, really over thinkign squats lately and not comfortable, but all pretty solid. Working back up with better form

Overhead Press
          40kg x 5
          50kg x 5
          60kg x 5 x 3

Pushed the first of each 60kg set. But got them all out. The final rep on the last set was epic struggle, but locked it out

Front Squat
          50kg x 5
          60kg x 5
          70kg x 5
          80kg x 5 *PB*

Consistantly adding weight here. I'm hoping to not stall for another while yet

Overhead Squats
          30kg x 5
          40kg x 5
          50kg x 5

Was planning to go to 55kg, honestly can't remember if I did or not. Shoulder wasn't the most stable and 14 sets of squats was probably enough

Deadlifts
          60kg x 5
          100kg x 5
          130kg x 5
          145kg x 5 *PB*

Making solid progress in deadlifts, 145kg was slow and not the smoothest, but 5 reps up is 5 reps up. Repeat this weight next time I think.

Stay tuned for a new challange starting next week

Comment

Sat - Oly Lifts/KettleBells

Power Cleans
            20kg x 6
            30kg x 3
            40kg x 3
            50kg x 3
            55kg x 1
            57.5kg x 1
            60kg x 1 *PB*
            62.5kg x 0
            62.5kg x 1 *PB*

57.5 felt really easy. Was v.confidant loading 60kg. Got it up no problem. Don't know if it was improving technique, or that I was fresher doing it first, maybe both. Felt like going up again, 62.5 was very close the fist time. Just need to get it together. Got it up the second and notice how high I was. I can't getting back down after the extending legs, means the bar has to travel much higher. At least I know what to work on.

Bench Press
            60kg x 3
            70kg x 2
            80kg x 2
            90kg x1

It crossed my mind to go for 100kg, as soon as i did the 60kg set I knew it wasn't happening, which is expected after cleans. Its coming though

Back extension
            12 x 2

K-Bell Snatch
            16kg x 12 x 2 (each arm)
            24kg x 30 (alternating arms every 5, no breaks)

16kg felt like nothing. 30 reps at 24kg was tough, I alternated hands but was quick switches to keep tempo. Last 5 with left were all i had.

K-Bell Get ups
            12kg x 3 x 2

Fuck they are hard!!!!

K-Bell swings
            32kg x 8

Wanted to give the big bell a swing. I swing up to somewhere between 12 o'clock and 3 o'clock

New challenge Starts Monday

Comment

New Challange

Time for a new challange.
              Strength has been constantly improving over the last few months, my plan is to keep progressing with them but I've decided to add in some cardio based targets. I'm roughly the same weight as I was 8 months ago, but body comp is far far better. The plan is to add in increasing amounts of cardio and hopefully keep up strength training - hopefully after a mon or two i'll have shed soem body fat, increased fitness and kept up lifts at current levels (maybe even improved).

The plan is to each week run (or row) a set target distance over the week, starting at 8km in week 1 and increasing my 2km every week (even if i miss a week). This is now week 1 - 8k is not a challange at all but it won't be long before I have to get in 20+. Currently the most i've ran in a week was 16km

The challange will run for 15 weeks, until the 14h august.
              Assuming I last the pace, I'll have to run 36km in the final week. The bulk of which will be part of the Sydney CityToSurf run - 14lm from the city to Bondi beach. The distance isn't massive or anything but it's an awful lot of hills.
              Here's the course profile

Week 1 - May 2nd - 8th

Comment

Tues - Chest/Back

Bench Press
                20kg x 5
                40kg x 5
                60kg x 4
                70kg x 3
                80kg x 2
                87.5kg x 5 x 3 *PB*

Ship, Ship. Time to try 90kg?

Pull-ups
                BW x 8, 8, 8, 6

Almost 8 x 4, could of got it if I rested longer. But still my best sets yet

Incline Bench Press
                40kg x 5
                50kg x 5
                60kg x 5
                70kg x 5
                75kg x 5

Thought 75kg was a PB, checked log and seen I had an identical group of sets recently. 80kg is next up imo

Spider Row
                40kg x 12
                50kg x 12
                60kg x 12
                65kg x 10 *PB*

New max weight. Could of prob forced 2 more out but would of been a lot of movement in upper body. I'm still not 100% on what my form should be here. Should I keep it at 50-55kg and keep upper body still moving only with my lats. Or, is increasing it a bit one forcing out last few with some body movement ok. I think it might be as its still back muscles involves, and the eccentric portion is greater load.

Cardio
                3km Treadmill - 14m28s

Was really spent for the last 500m, fresh I should be able for c.1 minute faster

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                  Ship, Ship. Time to try 90kg?
                  Of course. The only way is up

Spider Row
                  40kg x 12
                  50kg x 12
                  60kg x 12
                  65kg x 10 *PB*

New max weight. Could of prob forced 2 more out but would of been a lot of movement in upper body. I'm still not 100% on what my form should be here. Should I keep it at 50-55kg and keep upper body still moving only with my lats. Or, is increasing it a bit one forcing out last few with some body movement ok. I think it might be as its still back muscles involves, and the eccentric portion is greater load.
                  Not gonna lie, had to google it. Looks like a nice isolation exercise. I'd probably keep the weight at 55kg as it's an iso exercise but once there's not too much movement I wouldn't worry about it. Personal preference really.

Best of luck with the cardio challenge btw. Should be interesting to see if you can keep getting stronger towards the end of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lurker23 View Post
                    Not gonna lie, had to google it. Looks like a nice isolation exercise. I'd probably keep the weight at 55kg as it's an iso exercise but once there's not too much movement I wouldn't worry about it. Personal preference really.

Best of luck with the cardio challenge btw. Should be interesting to see if you can keep getting stronger towards the end of it.
                    I had to google to get a name for it too originally, I want some to separate it from T-Bar row machine in the log, it's basically a variation on lever T-bar row (which is a vari on BORs I suppose). I prefer it a little as the incline position means leg drive is removed.
                    I was sure its a compound excercise, seeing as BORs would be. I figured it hits a few back muscle.

Had a google there;
                    Exrx.net calls it an incline row. Compound
                    I'm assuming the gif shows good form, you can see what I meant by body movement.
                    I forgot how good that site was, gives a decent description on technique too, sounds like I was ok.
                    Last edited by Mellor; 05-05-11, 00:11.

Comment

Weds - Cardio/K-Bells

Cardio
                      Treadmill - 3km
                      time: 14m15s
                      (best treadmill time to date I think, but I would of been faster during Bridge run)

Trusters
                      35kg x 10
                      35kg x 12
                      40kg x 12

Still hate these, puke

K-Bell Snatch
                      24kg x 10 x 4 (x2 each arm)

Intervals - Bike
                      45sec easy/30 secs hard x 8

The rest periods went by so quickly, keep the average intensity up. Was pretty wrecked afterwards.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Week 1 Progress: 6km/8km
                      I'll try get 2km in after squats

Comment

I had to google to get a name for it too originally, I want some to separate it from T-Bar row machine in the log, it's basically a variation on lever T-bar row (which is a vari on BORs I suppose). I prefer it a little as the incline position means leg drive is removed.
                        I was sure its a compound excercise, seeing as BORs would be. I figured it hits a few back muscle.

Had a google there;
                        Exrx.net calls it an incline row. Compound
                        I'm assuming the gif shows good form, you can see what I meant by body movement.
                        I forgot how good that site was, gives a decent description on technique too, sounds like I was ok.
                        http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...nclineRow.html
                        Ah fair enough. The first vid when I googled showed this:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKh5MOfrtu0[/ame]

That's a nice isolation variation. I was wondering how you were doing 55kg with that. It all makes sense now. So it's just a lying t-bar row pretty much.

Comment

Yeah pretty much, lying at about 45deg.
                          The gym has two T-bars, Regular stand and bend over one and the 45degree spider one.
                          Made sense to split them in the log so i know which I did, but I think I'll be sticking with the spider from now on, think form is better.
                          Either that or barbell rows

Comment

Good luck with the new challenge Mellor.

Comment

Liking the new challenge. Are you going to row a portion of it and will intervals count?

Comment

Originally posted by Jackyback View Post
                                Good luck with the new challenge Mellor.
                                Thanks Fran, baby distances compared to the stuff you have been getting through lately this year
                                Originally posted by TomD View Post
                                Liking the new challenge. Are you going to row a portion of it and will intervals count?
                                I've allowed for rowing to count as I imagine some days treadmills might be full or I just won't feel like running. Didn't think about intervals. Not sure yet.

I finally read some of those Lyle MacD books you sent me. Well, only the rapid fat loss one so far, bit exstreme to folllow it fully for me right now, but taking parts on board. Been pretty much following a keto diet all week, maybe carbs might have been a little high the last 2 days, 55g and 65g. But had hard sessions so maybe ok. I'm gonna try get some Ketostix to test, as weekend will prob take me out of ketosis

Comment

Thurs - Legs/Shoulders

Squats
                                  60kg x 5
                                  100kg x 5
                                  120kg x 5
                                  130kg x 5 x 2

Was using my less perfered rack, hooks are a little far apart so bar is either too low or too high for me. If i was any taller or short i'd be fine. I use the high hook and just means i'm wastign a bit or energy, stabillity gettign the bar out. That said, felt comfortable enough squatting.

Shoulder Press
                                  40kg x 5
                                  50kg x 5
                                  60kg x 5
                                  65kg x 1
                                  70kg x 0

60 was tough today. I did try to increase the ROM a little, elbows below parallel, but took a bit out of me. Could be just the no carb/keto has be lower in energy in these first few days. 65 wasa push press, was a bit optimistic with 70kg, but you have to try.

Front squat
                                  60kg x 5
                                  70kg x 5
                                  80kg x 5
                                  90kg x 5 *PB*
                                  60kg x 3

Another 10kg added. Approaching max now. 95 next time, then 100 hopefully.
                                  Did a quick triple on 60 to check hand position in the hole, I drop my elbows too much on max sets.

DB Shoulder Press
                                  25kg x 8 x 2

*supersetted with*

Shoulder Lateral Raise
                                  7.5kg x 12 x 2

25kg was tougher than normal, energy spent + shoulders wrecked already imo.

Cardio
                                  Treadmill - 2km (5min pace)
                                  Target reached

Week 1 - 8k

Comment

I finally read some of those Lyle MacD books you sent me. Well, only the rapid fat loss one so far, bit exstreme to folllow it fully for me right now, but taking parts on board. Been pretty much following a keto diet all week, maybe carbs might have been a little high the last 2 days, 55g and 65g. But had hard sessions so maybe ok. I'm gonna try get some Ketostix to test, as weekend will prob take me out of ketosis
                                    It is a little extreme. I find CKD (cyclical) the easiest to use with keeping training volume up. 60g quite high for Keto but still low enough for a standard low carb, high protein, high fat diet. I'll dig out my notes from Will's fat seminar later and put up the relevant parts.

Comment

Yeah, 60g was a mistake, was eating out and went for the best option. THe bulk of it, 45g, was post gym.
                                      Keto went out the window over the weekend, starting again today.

Comment

Tues - Chest/Back

Bench Press
                                        20kg x 5
                                        60kg x 5
                                        70kg x 3
                                        80kg x 2
                                        90kg x 3 - failed 3rd rep
                                        80kg x 5 x 2

I just died on this completely. Was all over the place for 90 and the bar was never right.

Pull-ups
                                        BW x 6, 6, 6, 6

Very poor

DB Chest Flys
                                        18kg x 12 x 3

Close Grip T-Bar Row
                                        40kg x 12
                                        50kg x 12
                                        55kg x 12

Cardio
                                        2km Treadmill - with 2x 200m inclines

Goign to start including inclines into my shorter cardios sectinos as the City2Surf is quite hilly

Al in a very poor session. Just had no energy. Not reallysure why, but I was off sick from work on monday so I hopeing that was the reson and I can get a decent session in next week. It was like I was able to give it best, was only capable of half assed lifts

Comment

Fatigue? I know from personal experience that any cardio/Hiit massively affects my strength the next few days.

If I play a match on Sunday and then hit the gym on Monday, overall Im a lot weaker than I was on the Friday. May be that the change you made is taking time to adjust to?

Could also just be that you are very tired.

As an aside, I got some creatine. Decided Im gonna get as Strong/Fat as possible in the next 10 weeks. Found that my recovery times are massively shortened.
                                          All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                          The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                            Fatigue? I know from personal experience that any cardio/Hiit massively affects my strength the next few days.

If I play a match on Sunday and then hit the gym on Monday, overall Im a lot weaker than I was on the Friday. May be that the change you made is taking time to adjust to?
                                            I'd be surprised if it was due to the challenge. I had 4 days off since my last cardio. And even still last weeks cardio was [retty low volume, 2 or 3k a session. Pretty normal for me, I've cetainly had much tougher metcons the day before benching PBs. Must of been jsut the weekend.

I have to buy more Protein, thinking ON choco or choco-mint. Might look into Jack3d too. i've considered creatine before, still am I supose. I'm not really looking to get bigger so probably a waste. Let me know how it goes anyway.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Weds - Oly lifts/Cardio

Warm-up
                                            Treadmill - 1500m inclined (2%-4%)

Power Cleans
                                            20kg x 5
                                            30kg x 3
                                            40kg x 3
                                            50kg x 3
                                            55kg x 2
                                            50kg x 1
                                            60kg x 1
                                            65kg x 1 *PB*

I notived on the 2nd @55kg that I start my 3rd pull (getting my arms under the bar) very early. Basically I was doing a sort of upright row a lot of the time. (Which is wht I did the 50kg single in the middle). Concentrated, tried to get my shit in order and 60kg went up pretty easily. Was a bit cautious trying 65kg as failed it before and 62.5kg was tough - but it went up pretty quick. Was almost all leg drive, i barely came into a squat. If I can get my form better, and get into a half squat for heavy singles I think BW is pretty close.

Cardio
                                            Treadmill - 3km in 15 mins

Week 2 - 6.5k/9k

Comment

Double Rich Choc and Mint Choc are my favourites. Both nice. Double Choc prob better as you can put it in youghurts and add to other stuff too. Not really a goer with the Mint imo.

Re: The Creatine: I am finding I recover so much faster (could be due to the amount of food Im consuming too). I find I've very little Doms and I find I'm better for 2 or so more reps if needed. Can lift more also. I have found that I look kind of bloated. No change to clothes fitting or waist size but I look chunkier. Id imagine its water retention.

I also noticed during the first few days of loading up on it, I was a little less effective cardio wise. Could have been any number of things though and not guaranteed to be in any way related to the creo.

Comment

I have found that I look kind of bloated. No change to clothes fitting or waist size but I look chunkier. Id imagine its water retention.
                                                Yeah, was told that's gonna happen, its part of the reason you are good for a bit more afaik.
                                                no harm at this time of year, doubt you'll have your top off for a while - it's freezing

Thurs - Legs/Shoulders

Warm-up
                                                Treadmill - 1k - 6mins

Stretches

Squats
                                                20kg x 8
                                                60kg x 8
                                                100kg x 5
                                                120kg x 5
                                                130kg x 5 x 2

130 felt good, hitting depth easy enough. Just need to keep the weight on heel and not my toes. The rack still pissing me off, slightly too high so i have to shrug the bag in and out of the hooks, not ideal.

Shoulder Press
                                                40kg x 5
                                                50kg x 5
                                                60kg x 5 x 2

Cut this down a little cos some guy kept askign me how many I sets I had left. Was starting to bug me and I jsut wanted to get through. It literally asked when I had 7 left, then again 5 mins and two sets later. It bugs me people repeatedly ask (I don't mind asking, but i hardly got through 7 sets in that time). Maybe I'm being awkward taking up the rack for so long. 12-15 sets normally

Front Squats
                                                60kg x 5
                                                80kg x 5
                                                90kg x 5
                                                100kg x 3 *PB*

90kg was a lot easier this week. Form is getting better. Bar is comfortable etc. Was no 2.5kg plates around to go for 95kg so decided to stick 100kg up on the shoulders for a single to see how it felt. It was fine so continued for a triple. I probably had 5 in me but didn't want to push it. Still had a bit of cardio to hit this weeks target.

Upright Row
                                                25kg x 8
                                                30kg x 8
                                                32.5kg x 8
                                                35kg x 8
                                                *complex*
                                                35kg x 6 Bradford Press

Haven't done these in a while. Felt good. Need to be hitting more than just overhead presses. I decided to go straight into a complex on the last set, bradford press (shoulder presses behind head), well actualy alternating behind and in front. Want to make sure I'm hitting all three delts somewhat equally

Cardio
                                                Treadmill - 1500m - Hills

125m flat then 125m incline. Each of the 5 hills got steeper (2%, 3%, 4%, 6%, 6%). It's an automatic program and it slows the speed slightly on the hills. Liked it, time was about 9m30s

Week 2 - 9k/9k

Comment

What's your BF % Mellor?

Impressive work-outs has to be said.

Comment

Prob high teens, 18 or 19%. Haven't had it measured in a few months, it was 20.5% then, I'll prob get it measured around July, as that'll be 6 months later. Mid teens would be great

Comment

Thought I logged my tues workout last night???

Tues - Chest/Back

Warm-up
                                                      Treadmill - 1km

Bench press
                                                      60kg x 5
                                                      80kg x 5
                                                      90kg x 3
                                                      80kg x 5 x 2

Failed on 90kg again. Was never comfortable under the bar. I knew during 80kg that I was going to miss 90, not a good mentality. I must be jsut weaker on tuesdays i'll try get a bench session in later in the week. Maybe 85 or 87.5kg 5 x 5 and then try get up to 90kg next week

Pull-ups
                                                      BW x 7/7/6/6

Cardio
                                                      Treadmill - 1500m - fast pace - 6m50s (4.33 pace)

Week 3 - 2.5km/10km

Comment

Weds - Cardio/Oly Lifts

Warm-up
                                                        Treadmill - 1km

Power Clean
                                                        30kg x 5
                                                        40kg x 3
                                                        50kg x 3
                                                        60kg x 3 *PB*
                                                        65kg x 1
                                                        67.5kg x 1 *PB*

Power Clean & Jerk
                                                        67.5kg x 1 *PB*
                                                        60kg x 3 *PB*

Cleans went very well today. 60kg for reps and 67.5 single, both PBs. A month ago I was 10kg behind this.
                                                        67.5kg felt pretty good, form is improving every week, I decide to repeat it and adding in the Jerk, that's the msot I've had over head, and 60kg triple celan and jerk was a PB too.
                                                        I really open I can keep this up and get 80kg cleaned by end if june

Cardio
                                                        Threadmill - 2500m - Hill session - every 250m flat/hill 2%-6%

Week 3 - 6km/10km

----------------------------------------------------------
                                                        Diet
                                                        Just a record on what I'm eating for Keto.
                                                        Justa nite, the breakfast isn't standard, I was late for work and going for speed

Breakfast: Spoon of peanut butter, Piece of cheese, grilled bacon x 2 (275)
                                                        Lunch: Curry made with lean meat, chicken stock, curry powder, olive oil, and mixed veg (275)
                                                        Snack: Mixed nuts and seeds (300)
                                                        Post Gym: Chicken breast, grilled with skin on (400)
                                                        Shake: 1.5 scoop of ON in milk and water (250)
                                                        Snack: Cheese and peanut butter (250)
                                                        Total: 1750 calories

Comment

ON in milk and water? is that not vile?

Have you gotten Ketostix?

Comment

Its fine really.
                                                            I make it with just water a lot of the time. Milk is obviously way nicer, but I try to keep intake of milk low.
                                                            Half milk/water is sort of like an extreme version of skimmed milk. Adding ice is good too as they are nicer the colder they are.

Still no keto sticks, tried a few pharmacys and they staff there just started at me like had two heads.
                                                            online maybe

Comment

Its fine really.
                                                              I make it with just water a lot of the time. Milk is obviously way nicer, but I try to keep intake of milk low.
                                                              Half milk/water is sort of like an extreme version of skimmed milk. Adding ice is good too as they are nicer the colder they are.

Still no keto sticks, tried a few pharmacys and they staff there just started at me like had two heads.
                                                              online maybe
                                                              Wow. Strange about the pharmacies. You'd think they'd know what they are given their usual use is for severe diabetics.

Theres no other real way to know your in ketosis though, certain foods as far as Im aware can take you out of it pretty fast. Fruit for example because of how its metabolised in the liver.

I wonder what effect creatine would have on it actually.

Comment

Yeah, I even said, it's prob with the diabetic stuff.
                                                                not idea how creatine or even jacked might affected, I'd say jacked might take you out of ketosis for a while, but carbs are generally ok around workouts

I'll try some bigger pharmacys at the weekend or tonight

Comment

Also, I see over on the other place you were asking about fish oil tabs. I'd defo reccommend them, I find them great for recovery/swelling. Good for the joints/brain too.

Not sure about glucosamine.

Comment

Yeah, think i'll go with fish oil, i eat a lot of fish anyway. but a fw tabs a day can only help

Squats and deadlifts tonight, legs are a bit tired now, hopefully I can get the volume in
                                                                    Aiming for PBs in front squat and deadlift

Comment

Thurs - Legs/Shoulders

Warm-up
                                                                      Treadmill 500m - Steep hills

Squats
                                                                      20kg x 5
                                                                      60kg x 5
                                                                      100kg x 5
                                                                      120kg x 5
                                                                      130kg x 5 x 2

Shoulder Press
                                                                      50kg x 5 x 4

Front Squats
                                                                      60kg x 5
                                                                      80kg x 5
                                                                      90kg x 5
                                                                      100kg x 5 *PM*

DB Shoulder Press
                                                                      25kg x 8 x 3

Cardio
                                                                      Treadmill 1500m

Week 3: 8km/10km

I had straps or chalk so didn't bither with deadlifts, I prob wasn't going to get a PB anyway. The tempo of squats/press/front squats was a little faster than normal, I had a guy working in, he was timing his rest so I felt I should keep up. A bit awkward, he was warming up on my heavy squats, heavy squats on my presses and medium on my front squats, so a lot of shifting paltes around, not ideal and prob was a bit draining.

Press - Deloaded and work on form. Hopefully work back to 60kg over a month and get it cleanly.
                                                                      Front squat - 100kg, knew this was here, was pretty tough after all the volume before, I have moe there if I'm fresh.

Cardio, 8/10km - Will knock out 2km on saturday along with some benching and back assistance

Edit: And I picked up some Ketostix finally, testd today friday, in Ketosis, prob have been for a few days this week. The weekend will take me out I imagine
                                                                      Last edited by Mellor; 20-05-11, 01:21.

Comment

Sat - chest/Back

Warm-up
                                                                        Foam rolling, mostly my back

Bench Press
                                                                        40kg x
                                                                        69kg x 4
                                                                        80kg x 3
                                                                        85kg x 5 x 3

85kg was tough but manageable, not read for 90 kg yet, but maybe after 5 x 3 @ 87.5

Pull-ups/chin-ups
                                                                        Pull-up x 7
                                                                        Chin-up x 12
                                                                        Chin-up+5kg x 6
                                                                        Chin-up+5kg x 7

could of done more than 12 on chins if i had to. Wanna establish a PB on this. first time doing weighted chins, 5kg plus belt and chain so maybe 6kg total. Makes such a difference

Kettlebell Press-up/Row
                                                                        12kg x 12 x 3

Hands on two kettlebells, press up, single arm row 1 of the k-bells up, repeat alternating arms. Think this might be called renegade row? Dumbells would be a lot easier as you don't have to switch hands from ball to handle as with kettle bells. But being harder might be better

(Spider) T-Bar Row
                                                                        30kg x 12
                                                                        40kg x 12
                                                                        50kg x 12
                                                                        60kg x 12

Cardio
                                                                        Treadmill - 2km - Hills medium pace

Week 3: 10km/10km

Comment

Tues - Legs/Shoulders

Warm-up
                                                                          Treadmill 500m - Hills

Stretching

Deadlift

60kg x 5 x 2
                                                                          80kg x 5
                                                                          100kg x 5
                                                                          120kg x 5
                                                                          140kg x 5
                                                                          150kg x 3 *PB*

Overhead Press
                                                                          52.5kg x 5 x 4

Front Squats
                                                                          60kg x 5
                                                                          80kg x 5
                                                                          90kg x 5
                                                                          100kg x 5

Cardio
                                                                          Treadmill - 1500m - (4m50s pace)

Left out back squats today, racks were full so just got a bar and hit deadlifts. I really thoguht 150kg x 5 was going up. Maybe I did too much before hand, but it has bee na few weeks away from deads.

Press were easy, no push pressing, bar right down, felt good for a change. Hopeful I can work back past 60kg smoothly
                                                                          Front squats equalled lst week, so happy there. Got 2km in, planning on hitting a longish run this week

Week 4: 2km/12km

Comment

Weds - Boxing

something a bit different this week, a 1 hour boxing class. It's not so much lessons, but rather a cardioitype class based arouns boxing, that said - due to the nature of boxing it strays very close to anaerobic training.
                                                                            You work with a partner on pads, spent a few minutes on the pads, preforming a set combo, it starts with two punches then progresses to 3, then 4 etc. Then swap over at the end of each combo set theres 2 x 20sec of punches fast and harder, or pressups and jump split lunges.
                                                                            You do three combo sets, each time it gets more complicated. I think the last one was Duck, Left hook, Right uppercup, Right hook, Left hook

Close it out with some ab work (pretty tought crunch variations) and stretching.

In all I enjoyed it, something different. And we all know cross training in all the rage now.

I didn't magage to get any running in, which leaves me with 10km to do, i'll be keeping it at 4 sessions a week for the next few months so should get it in. Chest/Back tonight and Oly lifts and a long run on saturday

Week 4: 2km/12km

Comment

Thurs - Chest/Back

Stretching

Bench Press
                                                                              40kg x 5
                                                                              60kg x 4
                                                                              80kg x 3
                                                                              87.5kg x 5 x 2
                                                                              85kg x 5

Pull-ups
                                                                              BW x 8*,7,7,6,7

Bench - Bar was slow closing out 87.5kg, but ROM was good. I was unsure if I'd get the 5th in the third set so I deloaded by 2.5kg. I'd rather rep for a hard 5 than have a failed set.
                                                                              Pull-ups - The first set of 8 was actually before the bench press, just lashed out a set while waiting.

Back and shoulder were v.stiff yesterday, so happy to hit reasonable number in the above. Even stiffer today

Cardio
                                                                              Treadmill - 2.5km (5min pace)

Comment

Saturday - Oly/Cardio

Warm-up
                                                                                Treadmill 500m
                                                                                Stretching

Power Clean
                                                                                20kg x 5
                                                                                30kg x 3
                                                                                40kg x 3
                                                                                50kg x 3
                                                                                60kg x 3
                                                                                65kg x 1
                                                                                70kg x 1 *PB*
                                                                                60kg x 1 Clean and Jerk

Got 70kg up. Wasn't the smoothest but still a PB. Attempted a jerk but missed it. Dropped to 60kg, clean and jerk'd. It'll take a while but 80kg is coming!!!

Cardio
                                                                                Treadmill - 7km - Hils - 36m30smins

Mapped out the city to surf course on the treadmill. The hills are pretty reasonable, lets hope its accurate
                                                                                Last edited by Mellor; 29-05-11, 23:48.

Comment

Nice progress on the oly lifts. Get a proper pair of shoes and you'd prob be good to hit a 77.5 - 80 powerclean now.

Comment

BW would be nice to hit.
                                                                                    Hopefuly, i can clean it, then jerk it, then press it

Tues

Warm-up
                                                                                    500m run
                                                                                    Stretching

Deadlifts
                                                                                    60kg x 5
                                                                                    100kg x 5
                                                                                    120kg x 5
                                                                                    140kg x 5
                                                                                    150kg x 5 *PB*

Had to re-grip the bar before the 5th rep, and it was slipping a bit but pretty sure i got it up to lockout.

Overhead Press
                                                                                    55kg x 5 x 4

Was pretty fucked from deadlifts so tired quickly here. But got all reps out. Could of done with a bit more rest between sets but was sharing with another guy doing light squats.

Squats
                                                                                    90kg x 5
                                                                                    100kg x 5
                                                                                    110kg x 5
                                                                                    120kg x 5
                                                                                    130kg x 5

Felt good, but was wrecked my the last set.

Cardio:
                                                                                    Tredmill - 1500m - fast pace

Week 5: 2km/14km

Comment

Weds - Boxing

I was a little late getting to this and everyone was paired up. I decide to go on my own with the heavy bag and maybe duck out for some oly lifts before the end.

Normally you end up rotating rounds, i was on my todd so I ended up doing both rounds. Taking breaks as i needed them.
                                                                                      All in I got about 45 mins of bag work, combos, fast pnches and then about 5 mins of ab work and stretching. Was wrecked afterwards and hands are still a bit sore today.

Cardio
                                                                                      Treadmill - 2k - slow pace
                                                                                      I started off at my normal 5 min/km pace but had to drop it down for the 3rd 500m, back to to finish. All in the most wrecked I've been, legs were just so heavy.

Leaves we with 10k to get out of the way for this week.
                                                                                      Week 5: 4km/14km

Comment

thurs - Chest/Back

Bench
                                                                                        20kg x 5
                                                                                        40kg x 5
                                                                                        60kg x 5
                                                                                        80kg x 3
                                                                                        87.5kg x 5
                                                                                        85kg x 5
                                                                                        80kg x 5

No energy today. not sure its it's because i've been sick or because my back was tight as fuck. But decide to drop weight to avoid failure. never felt good under the bar. I think one problem is that when racked the bar is a little too high for me. Only about 1cm, but it means I have to roll my shoulders forward to get it out. Lats aren't engaged fully etc. Wasn't a problem previously as I just fixed it in the first rep. But its wasted energy.

Pull-ups
                                                                                        BW x 5,5,5,5,5,5,5,5

Yup 8 sets, might even of been 9. Just to change it up. Drop the reps and avoid failure for a while. I'll prob add a rep and drop a set every week, in the hope of getting to 8 x 5

Decided to leave resistance training at that, I was still a bit tight from deadlifts and boxing, want to make sure recovery is adequete.

Cardio
                                                                                        Treadmill - 3km - 4m50s pace

Week 5 - 7km/14km

Comment

Whats the fear/dislike of going to failure?

Comment

No fear or dislike really. Just a change. for different reasons for each.

For the bench;
                                                                                            It's more strenous going to fail, so takes longer to recover from. So because my back was stiff lately, I said i'd go easier, recover and hopefully be able for it next week. I also wanted to maintain form for 5 reps for a while, just to reinforce the CNS pathway. The idea being that if the pathway is locked inm, i'll maintain it even when bolloxed.

For pull-ups, just a deload as I had stalled a bit.
                                                                                            With bench, squats, deads etc, following SS or SL you add a bit every week and the idea is continous progression. What a lot of people (including me) tend to do on pull ups, is as many reps as possible for 4 or 5 sets. Why is it treated differently, its a compound resistance movement so should be the same.

Something I read on boards triggered it regarding pull-ups.

Btw, its just change for a few weeks. I'll be pushing to failure pretty soon.
                                                                                            Ideally, next week I hit 87.5 x 3 solidly, the following I attempt 90kg, end of the month I hit 90kg x 3 and 100kg single. My gym is holding a bench press seminar in 4 weeks, so I'll attend that and enter the upcoming comp. Would love a 100kg single @ 80kg at that.

Pull-ups to hit 8 x 5 in 3 weeks

Comment

Assuming the post you read on boards was Hanleys pretty great one about it? Havent seen anything else about it over there so it can only be that really.

Far be it from me to question Hanley but I find leaving something in the tank is much more important (from experience) for Dips than for Pull-ups. Why that is, I havent a clue, I just find that if I go to failure on Dips Im incredibly sore. Whereas with Pull ups, Im not.

Much of a muchness though really because its one of those exercises you make progress very fast on no matter what method you use.

I can understand not going to Fail on Bench or Squat. For various reasons.

Wish my gym would run a comp. I might suggest the idea to them. Gyms pretty cool, in an old church, a real weightlifters ('boutique' gym they call it. fuckin chapel street) gym.

Comment

Assuming the post you read on boards was Hanleys pretty great one about it? Havent seen anything else about it over there so it can only be that really.

Far be it from me to question Hanley but I find leaving something in the tank is much more important (from experience) for Dips than for Pull-ups. Why that is, I havent a clue, I just find that if I go to failure on Dips Im incredibly sore. Whereas with Pull ups, Im not.
                                                                                                Yeah that's the one.
                                                                                                I don't agree its the only way to train, but it's something I'm gonna try out, mix it up and hopefully get over the stalling
                                                                                                Agree on dips, if i go to fail on the first set, the rest really suffer, plus DOMS the next day can be bad. I rather hold a bit back on them all and make steady progress.

Wish my gym would run a comp. I might suggest the idea to them. Gyms pretty cool, in an old church, a real weightlifters ('boutique' gym they call it. fuckin chapel street) gym.
                                                                                                I'm surprised mine are tbh, its FitnessFirst. Pretty much Globo Gym. But the fact that I can use different chains suits me as I often in different places. If I was to go to Melbourne, i'd still be able to use the gym.
                                                                                                I'm not sure what to expect for the comp, interesting anyway. Squat comp would be lol, there are so many guys here (some are pretty big guys) doing 1/4 squats.

Comment

Sat - Oly/Cardio

Warm-up
                                                                                                  Treadmill - 1k

Stretching

Oly Lifts

Burgener Warm-up
                                                                                                  15 rep progressive warm-up (Burgener is the US olympic coach)
                                                                                                  Any body doing power cleans or snatchs should have a look at it, PM or post and I'll link it

Power Cleans
                                                                                                  40kg x 3

Crossfit WOD on Weds
                                                                                                  Power Clean Singles x 7

50kg
                                                                                                  60kg
                                                                                                  65kg
                                                                                                  70kg
                                                                                                  72.5kg *PB*
                                                                                                  75kg fail
                                                                                                  75kg fail

Structured it so 70kg was in the middle. Was much smoother than last week. Was delighted getting 72.5kg up, could get 75 up.
                                                                                                  Still 72.5kg represents just shy of 90% of bodyweight. 80kg in a few weeks please

Cardio
                                                                                                  Treadmill - 6k - race pace
                                                                                                  Time: 29m58s *PB*

Happy to go sub 30mins considering the legs were shot from cleans

Week 5: 14km/14km

Comment

Tues - Legs/Shoulders

Front Squats
                                                                                                    60kg x 5
                                                                                                    80kg x 5
                                                                                                    100kg x 5
                                                                                                    105kg x 5 *PB*

Possibly good for 110kg x 5, i jsut need to get the bar sitting on my shoulders for the max sets. Prob toss in a 100-110kg x 5 x 3 next time.

Shoulder Press

57.5kg x 5 x 4

Pressing is good, might repeat this weight then re-try 60kg. Really want to get past it smoothly.

Shoulder Mobility

I did a single "skin the cat", then managed to get a double. Did them on pull-up staton, w/ neutral grip. I don't know if rings would be easier or harder, might give the TRX a shot.

See video below for an idea of what if is, although I doubt by form or ROM is as good
                                                                                                    SPOILER
                                                                                                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKyvjxi02G8

Cardio
                                                                                                    Treadmill - 2km - 5min pace

All in a pretty shot session as I was in a rush. Have 16km to hit this week. Trying to decide if I should skip boxing and get two tradmill sessinos in, or just go for it and get a 8-10km session in on saturday.

Week 6: 2km/16km

Comment

How you finding all the running? Any adverse affects? Advantages to your lifting?

Also, check your pms.

Comment

I don't mind the running at all really. It might be a bigger problem when I hit 24-30km for the last month. But now its fine.
                                                                                                        Biggest issue is gettign it in without losing out on lifting. Strength still appears to be ok, but I'm doing very little around lifting sessions, 2 or 3km only. Then a big day on saturday, with over two days to recover. I tend to eat more on friday-sunday so that helps recovery.

I'll prob need to vary the runs a bit, get some tempo sessions in, a few long slow runs and get on the road for a bit. I find the mental aspect of running over 3km tougher than the physical aspect. I jsut get bored on the treadmill

(replied to PM just now too)

Comment

Weds - Boxing

Was a bit late leaving work, so had to shorten the boxing, but increased the intensity.

Warm-up
                                                                                                          Treadmill - 500m fast

Boxing
                                                                                                          30 mins Bag work. Various combos, jab/cross/hook/overhand etc

Cardio
                                                                                                          Treadmill - 3km - 5m20s pace

Week 6: 5.5km/16km

Comment

Thurs - Chest/Back

Bench Press
                                                                                                            40kg x 5
                                                                                                            60kg x 4
                                                                                                            70kg x 3
                                                                                                            80kg x 2
                                                                                                            87.5kg x 5 x 3

Struggle to finish that one, the first set was fine, the next ok, and the final was a grind. The 4th rep went up slow. I was determined to get the last rep, it almost paused about 1/3 of the way up and a guy was was waiting for my last set went to help it up, don't think he was expecting the grunts of "I have it, i have it". He left me at it and 3 seconds later it was in the rack. He just smiled and said nice work. I'm generally in favour iof grinding it out if you can rather than assisted reps, I'd rather try and fail than wonder afterwards if I had it.
                                                                                                            The guys who get help on all 5 or 8 reps are wasting thier time imo

Pull-ups
                                                                                                            BW x 6/6/6/6/6/6/6 *PB* (for sets)

Got them all out, felt good. Tried to jump into a muscle up afterwards, those things are still so far away tbh. The CF guys on rings makes them look far too easy. I also need to learn to kip

Cardio
                                                                                                            Treadmill - 3k - 5min/km pace

Week 6: 8.5km/16km
                                                                                                            Wanted to have more out of the way by now, leaves me with a 7.5km saturday
                                                                                                            Last edited by Mellor; 09-06-11, 23:37.

Comment

Yeah nothing annoys me more than spotters who grab the bar at the first sign of a grind. Actually ruins my whole day if the fuckers help me and Im convinced I had it.

Ive a post in my log asking about where to go from SS. Will you have a look?

Oh and LOL at teh muscle up. I actually did the exact same thing the other day. Not a hope I was getting anywhere near it.

Comment

Nothing worse than the phantom bench spotters.

"It's all you". Eh, no, it isn't when you have your bloody hands on the bar my friend. No matter how many times you tell some of them they keep doing it as well. It's like their hands are glued to the bar or something. I get to the stage where I won't even attempt a final rep if there's nobody in the gym that I trust as a spotter as it's just not worth the effort for some knob to ruin it on me.

Anyhow, still making savage progress Mellor. Keep it up. There'll be a time when PBs are hard to come by. Enjoy it while it lasts

Comment

Saturday - Oly/Cardio

Warm-up
                                                                                                                  Treadmill - 500m

Stretching, Prisoner squats, shoulder dislocates

Power Cleans
                                                                                                                  20kg warm-up drill (15 reps)
                                                                                                                  40kg x 3
                                                                                                                  50kg x 3
                                                                                                                  60kg x 3
                                                                                                                  70kg x 1
                                                                                                                  75kg x 1 (dodgy rep)

Bar felt good today, path and speed were both good. 75kg was debatable as a clean rep, I got it from the ground to rake position but it sort of landed on chest first and I pressed it higher as I came out of the hole. Still happy to be shifting that weight around tbh.

Cardio
                                                                                                                  Treadmill - 5km - easy pace, 6min/km

400m Sprints x 5 - 2 mins rest
                                                                                                                  Times: 2m00s, 1m50s, 1m40s, 1m25s, 2m00s

PB with the 4th sprint, 85s, I could get it faster if the treadmill got up to 20km quicker (or if i did in off the treadmill).
                                                                                                                  7.5km brings me up to my weekly target. 18km this week and hopefully I can get it in, back holiday got the week off to a bad start

Week 6: 16km/16km
                                                                                                                  Last edited by Mellor; 14-06-11, 04:11.

Comment

Tues - Cardio

I had planned to do legs and shoulders for this session, but the gym was way too packed. I suppose its expected after a bank holiday weekend, everyone feels that have to go after missing a few days. It took a while, but I eventually got a treadmill free and lashed out a few km. TBH, i'm kinda glad that I didn't try squats, as I had no energy at all, due to being semi-hungover and not eating properly.

Cardio
                                                                                                                    Treadmill - 4km - slow pace

Left it at that as I wanted tio rever as much as possible for weds session

Week 7: 4km/18km
                                                                                                                    Last edited by Mellor; 15-06-11, 00:27.

Comment

Weds - Legs/Shoulders

Warm-up
                                                                                                                      500m running

Stretching
                                                                                                                      Prisoner Squats x 10 x 3
                                                                                                                      Shoulder dislocates x 8 x 3

Squats
                                                                                                                      60kg x 5
                                                                                                                      100kg x 5
                                                                                                                      120kg x 5
                                                                                                                      135kg x 5

Overhead Press
                                                                                                                      60kg x 5/5/4+1

Front Squats
                                                                                                                      60kg x 5
                                                                                                                      80kg x 5
                                                                                                                      100kg x 5

135kg on back squats was comfortable, except that the weight slipped in my hands a bit in the 4th or 5th rep, I was still good so finished my set, but struggle to re-rack the bar as it was not lower.

Presses were solid enough. Prob my best ROM for 60kg, paused halfway up on the last rep and had to push-press it to lock out. No point doing a 4th.

Front Squats felt good again. I planned on atempting 110kg, but was unsure if I had it left in me. Poor hand position on the 100kg left it feeling a bit weak so I saif i'd pass. Might give it a go on saturday with power cleans.

Cardio
                                                                                                                      Treadmill: 2.5km - 5 min pace

Week 7: 3km/18km

Comment

Tues - Chest/Back

Warm-up
                                                                                                                        500m easy pace

Bench
                                                                                                                        20kg x 8
                                                                                                                        40kg x 5
                                                                                                                        60kg x 5
                                                                                                                        70kg x 3
                                                                                                                        80kg x 1
                                                                                                                        90kg x 4/1/3

Really wanted to hit the 5 reps on the 90kg, didn't even try the 5th rep but knew it wasn't there. The single in the middle was an aborted attempt. After one rep, I knew the bar wasn't centred or something.

Pull-ups
                                                                                                                        BW x 7/7/7/7/7/7/7

Cardio
                                                                                                                        1500m fast pace

Was planning more cardio, but stomach was at me, i'll just have to get in 9kn tomorrow

Week 7: 9km/18km

Comment

Saturday - Oly/Cardio

Warm-up
                                                                                                                          Treadmill - 2km easy pace

Oly Lifts
                                                                                                                          Snatch Progression warm-up - 15 rep

Power Cleans
                                                                                                                          20kg x 5
                                                                                                                          40kg x 3
                                                                                                                          50kg x 3
                                                                                                                          60kg x 2
                                                                                                                          70kg x 1
                                                                                                                          75kg x fail
                                                                                                                          70kg x 1

Not happy missing 75kg after hitting it last week (I spoke to someone and 75kg on chest was legit, only not ever a good idea). I don't know if it was the longer warm-up, or the fact I was waking around town shopping all day - but either way legs didn't have the explosive power i needed, felt this by 60kg. The thing with cleans is that you can't grind a rep out like all the other lifts, either you fire it up full speed or you don't.

Front Squat
                                                                                                                          60kg x 5
                                                                                                                          100kg x 5
                                                                                                                          110kg x 5 *PB*

At least I got one PB out of the session, I'm prob good for 120 when fully fresh. Maybe a 130lg single?

Cardio
                                                                                                                          6km - medium pace - sub 34mins
                                                                                                                          1km easy cool down

Week 7: 18km/18km

On-wards to the 20km week

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X