Ehh...
    Ah Doonsbury is great, its just very slow for a cartoon
    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Tipperary supremacy
      ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
        Two (democratically elected) governments, two nations. One conflict. One agreed to stop the conflict, one decided not to. It's not a hard question to answer.
        You keep arguing as though the folks on here who are appalled by israels actions think hamas are the greatest thing since sliced bread. You also appear to think that guilt in this conflict is binary, and that because Hamas are undoubtedly a guilty party, it follows that Israel's every action is entirely justifiable.

Hamas are a terrorist organisation absolutely. They ignore and or break ceasefires as it suits them, knowing it will provoke retaliation from Israel. But this does not in any way legitimise the disproportionate and indescriminate nature of the retaliation. The fact that Hamas are an evil, blood thirsty bunch of bastards in no way makes it ok to shell a civilian population for weeks on end, killing hundreds (maybe 1000s now) of innocent non combatants.

Comment

its been very hard to get excited for the championship so far this year. Way too many one sided games in both codes

Comment

My problem with Tallinn is that its not direct and you have to switch over. I dont like that.

Comment

Originally posted by dazzler View Post
              You keep arguing as though the folks on here who are appalled by israels actions think hamas are the greatest thing since sliced bread. You also appear to think that guilt in this conflict is binary, and that because Hamas are undoubtedly a guilty party, it follows that Israel's every action is entirely justifiable.

Hamas are a terrorist organisation absolutely. They ignore and or break ceasefires as it suits them, knowing it will provoke retaliation from Israel. But this does not in any way legitimise the disproportionate and indescriminate nature of the retaliation. The fact that Hamas are an evil, blood thirsty bunch of bastards in no way makes it ok to shell a civilian population for weeks on end, killing hundreds (maybe 1000s now) of innocent non combatants.
              Yes. A civilian population that literally can't run or hide anywhere, not even UN designated 'safe' zones as it happens.
              This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
              All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
              The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                    Unless I'm not actually going there and misread the booking, then you definitely can go direct on Ryanair
                    ok right. I searched by skyscanner and all filghts were a turnover in France. Those skyscanner bastards are holding back on me obv.

Comment

Comment

Watched the first two eps of House of Cards last night, seems pretty good so far.
                        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post
                          ok right. I searched by skyscanner and all filghts were a turnover in France. Those skyscanner bastards are holding back on me obv.
                          http://bit.ly/1lK56sC

Comment

Phil Taylor's in the zone here. Phenomenal mental strength.
                            Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                              Watched the first two eps of House of Cards last night, seems pretty good so far.
                              Quality show imo. Season 2 has a couple of poor episodes but a great show overall.

Comment

Originally posted by gorrrr72 View Post
                                Dont get cheeky with me boy

Comment

Flight booking is the most tilting thing ever. Just as you think your done they throw some shit in there as if to purposely thwart you.

Comment

Dont get cheeky with me boy
                                    Lol, been waiting 2 years for an opportunity to use that.

Comment

Flight booking is the most tilting thing ever. Just as you think your done they throw some shit in there as if to purposely thwart you.
                                      Ryanair are the worst, pretty sure I've probably bought insurance, booked sports equipment, paid for wheelchair assistance and bought a couple of Samsonite suitcases, all without realizing it.

Comment

You keep arguing as though the folks on here who are appalled by israels actions think hamas are the greatest thing since sliced bread. You also appear to think that guilt in this conflict is binary, and that because Hamas are undoubtedly a guilty party,
                                        I don't think guilt in this conflict is binary (it's a good prase though - binary guilt. I am going to steal it. ). Both sides are guilty to some degree.

Hamas are a truly horrible organisation, it's true. They are also cowards - hiding in a densely populated area and emerging at night to fire missiles against civilian targets. They're Islamic fundamentalist lunatics with little or no official support in the Arab world (the army takeover in Egypt removed their lifeline for weaponry) and their closest ideological brothers are the maniacs of Isis who enjoy nothing more than a spot of light beheading for their evening entertainment.
                                        However. They are the elected government of Gaza.
                                        Which of course causes everyone a problem - Israel, the US, the EU but most of all, the Gazans themselves. The Germans voted Hitler into power and the Gazans have done likewise with Hamas. What we are seeing now is partially the consequences of that decision. Hamas know exactly what will happen when they launch barrages of rockets at Israeli population centres - it's not like we haven't been here before. Yet they continue to provoke an Israeli response - knowing exactly what that response will be and the cost to Gaza.

Onto the response. Israel is surrounded by countries that hate it. Every single neighbour of Israel has declared war on it previously and has tried to wipe it off the face of the map. Egypt, Syria, Jordan, Iran (via its proxy army in South Lebanon). The Israelis have in response developed a doctrine that says any attack on them will be met with overwhelming force - we have seen several historical precedents of this. In the current conflict (started, let us remember by Hamas and continuing due to the rejection of a ceasefire by Hamas), we see this doctrine at work.

There are civilian casualties - this is undeniable. Just as there are civilian casualties in all wars. Churchill is remembered as one of the greatest leaders of all time, the champion of western civilisation. Yet, in 1944-45, he continued to send fleets of heavy bombers against German population centres for no militarily-justifiable reason other than to kill and terrorise unarmed civilians. Israel's response is much milder than Churchill's (thirty thousand died in one night of bombing in Hamburg) and they do make efforts to avoid casualties.

Israel has a right to self-defence, it has made it clear it will exercise that right. Given the decision of Hamas to start and then prolong a military campaign against Israel, plus the physical topography of Gaza itself, civilian casualties are inevitable. The elected government of Gaza chose to start a war, knowing exactly what the consequences would be. The majority of the blame rests with them. If people want to protest civilian deaths in Gaza, they should at the very least divide their time equally between Israeli embassies and Palestinian legations.

it follows that Israel's every action is entirely justifiable.
                                        Not at all. Many of Israel's actions, historical or otherwise, are unjustifiable and I will list some here:

I've already said repeatedly that the settlement activity in the West Bank is outrageous and that Israel should dismantle all settler colonies there. By force if necessary - which is what they did in Gaza ten years ago. Unfortunately, the internal political calculus in Israel means Netanyahu is a slave to the hardliners and, if anything, settlement activity will only increase in the near future. This is totally unjustifiable under any reading of history or morality

The Sharon invasion of Lebanon in 1982 was also unjustifiable - especially what happened at Shatila. Undoubtedly a war crime that should have been prosecuted. In fact, most of Israel's worst actions have taken place on Lebanese territory. Including the killing of Irish UN peacekeepers.

Any lasting settlement must be based on the 1967 borders. Again, you won't find many Likud apologists arguing that so I hope I can establish some bona fides here as not having an entirely partisan agenda. Unfortunately, nuance is not a big word in some people's personal lexicons.

Hamas are a terrorist organisation absolutely. They ignore and or break ceasefires as it suits them, knowing it will provoke retaliation from Israel.
                                        They are the elected government of Gaza and they are responsible for the welfare of their citizens. Starting a war they cannot possibly win is not a particularly smart move on their part. Yet they do it anyway.

But this does not in any way legitimise the disproportionate and indescriminate nature of the retaliation. The fact that Hamas are an evil, blood thirsty bunch of bastards in no way makes it ok to shell a civilian population for weeks on end, killing hundreds (maybe 1000s now) of innocent non combatants.
                                        Hamas have been shelling a civilian population for weeks on end. The difference between the civilian populations in Israel and Gaza are that the Israelis actually care whether their population live or die (every Israeli house must have a bomb shelter - how many dead would we be looking at in Gaza if they did the same instead of putting their energies into building tunnels to attack Israel? 10% of the current number? 5%?). Also, if the Israelis were truly as murderous as some like to portray, they would hardly be sending text messages to tell Gazans that their house will be attacked and they must evacuate. Israel makes mistakes (the school, the kids on the beach fall into this bracket) - but so does every nation in war, it's not a surgically clean business. Churchill knew that.

The other bugbear I have is the one-sided nature of the media coverage and a particular subsection of our population that will blindly criticise Israel, no matter what.
                                        Who has killed the most Palestinians in the last couple of years? Not Israel, that's for damn sure - the correct answer is actually Syria (number two on the list is actually Palestine itself). Strangely enough, we don't see any protests about that (or the 150,000 - 150 times the number in Gaza - civilians murdered in Syria). We don't see any protests outside the Russian embassy either - yet the Russians murdered 300 people, many kids included, just last week. The Americans have killed thousands of civilians in Afghanistan and northern Pakistan. No protests. Why is this? I don't have the answer.

Israel is not perfect, no country is. It does however have a right to existence and a right to defence when attacked. I support those rights.
                                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

tl;dr

Comment

Lets blame the Brits.

Its kinda their fault anyway.
                                            All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                            The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                              Lets blame the Brits.

Its kinda their fault anyway.
                                              The Ottomans are culpable too.

Comment

The other bugbear I have is the one-sided nature of the media coverage ...
                                                You were doing well till that point Israeli's have a ridiculous advantage in the way they deploy their enormous and highly professional media and PR organisation. Just one more aspect where the gargantuan disparity in power shows.
                                                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                  You were doing well till that point Israeli's have a ridiculous advantage in the way they deploy their enormous and highly professional media and PR organisation. Just one more aspect where the gargantuan disparity in power shows.
                                                  Which news organisations are you thinking of in Ireland especially? Is RTE pro-Israeli, the Indo, the IT, the Skibbereen Eagle? Curious to see how this alleged disparity manifests itself here.

Comment

RD3, how much damage do you think Hamas can really do given the current state of play?

Comment

City vs AC to be decided by Duckworth Lewis method?

Comment

RD3, how much damage do you think Hamas can really do given the current state of play?
                                                        To Israel or to themselves? I think the biggest danger is not Gaza (Hamas will run out of weaponry, there will be a ceasefire, Hamas will rearm, provoke a conflict again and we'll be at this pointless argument again - for a fourth time). No, the biggest danger is Hamas-ification of the West Bank. You can see it in the new calls for a Third Intifada.
                                                        Although Arafat was a corrupt idiot who threw away a perfectly good deal, at least he dealt in some semblance of normal thinking. Hamas are off the charts. Even the Iranians wouldn't touch them with a bargepole.

Comment

To Israel or to themselves? I think the biggest danger is not Gaza (Hamas will run out of weaponry, there will be a ceasefire, Hamas will rearm, provoke a conflict again and we'll be at this pointless argument again - for a fourth time). No, the biggest danger is Hamas-ification of the West Bank. You can see it in the new calls for a Third Intifada.
                                                          Although Arafat was a corrupt idiot who threw away a perfectly good deal, at least he dealt in some semblance of normal thinking. Hamas are off the charts. Even the Iranians wouldn't touch them with a bargepole.
                                                          Gazans are tiring (are tired) of Hamas but Israel responding like they are just galvanises Hamas' control.
                                                          Right now, Israel is doing far more damage to Israel than Hamas ever could.

Treat them like mosquitos. Annoying, sometimes dangerous but ultimately easy to defend against. Its going to take a politician with serious balls to take a step back and give Gaza the extended peace time it needs to finally rid itself of Hamas.

Comment

Comment

Comment

give Gaza the extended peace time it needs to finally rid itself of Hamas.
                                                                How exactly do you think Gaza would 'finally' (odd choice of word, Hamas have only been around for a comparitively short period of time) 'rid itself of Hamas'? And assuming this could happen, what would the new polity look like?

Seems like wishful thinking to me.

Comment

Denny, if you are about, have you tried Pho Saigon yet?

I'll prob be going later in the week if you wanna grab a bowl. You're down IFSC direction aren't you?

Comment

Currently sitting in the blasket in tralee supping jameson and ginger ale after a fab meal in Darcy's, deffo worth a visit! Now fuck off I'm getting pissed
                                                                    Her sky-ness
                                                                    © 5starpool

Comment

Comment

Snapchat?
                                                                        R u roundtower2 yeah, sent u a juicey one there
                                                                        Her sky-ness
                                                                        © 5starpool

Comment

Was at the scarecrow festival today in Durrow, on for another week or so, well worth a visit if yer in the surrounding areas.

Comment

Comment

...

Comment

Nice candles
                                                                                Four?

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Percy007 View Post
                                                                                    Four?

Comment

Denny, if you are about, have you tried Pho Saigon yet?

I'll prob be going later in the week if you wanna grab a bowl. You're down IFSC direction aren't you?
                                                                                      No I haven't had a chance yet, was on my to-do list this week.

Yeah sounds good.

Comment

Assigned seating on Ryanair, best score I ever spent.
                                                                                        Official Head Marshall of Waterford Gay Pride Festival 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Rasher View Post
                                                                                          I think it was Hitchhiker who previously mentioned a sat nav app for android that will work without using data? If you could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated? (I'm very new to android!!)
                                                                                          Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                          GPS in general doesn't use data. However you need data to download maps if you dont have them on your phone already
                                                                                          Coughed up the €4.50 for the iPhone version of that app, better than nothing, but I ended up using the DL'd maps from Google, far superior.

Comment

...

Comment

Welcome back sir! Apologies we're not there with a placard
                                                                                              Well met, ser. An unsettling lack of IPB'ers here to trumpet my arrival, 'tis true.

Finished the last GOT book, 2017 before the next one comes out? Dafuq?

Comment

See a lot of talk of Snapchat. I've been on it a while and mostly people seem to send pictures of meals/drinks at night and their feet/television sets the following morning. Yet to see a positive reason for keeping it.
                                                                                                You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                                World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                                                                                  See a lot of talk of Snapchat. I've been on it a while and mostly people seem to send pictures of meals/drinks at night and their feet/television sets the following morning. Yet to see a positive reason for keeping it.
                                                                                                  If you were single you would understand.

Comment

There are civilian casualties - this is undeniable. Just as there are civilian casualties in all wars. Churchill is remembered as one of the greatest leaders of all time, the champion of western civilisation. Yet, in 1944-45, he continued to send fleets of heavy bombers against German population centres for no militarily-justifiable reason other than to kill and terrorise unarmed civilians. Israel's response is much milder than Churchill's (thirty thousand died in one night of bombing in Hamburg) and they do make efforts to avoid casualties.
                                                                                                    The rarely attempted sophisticated reverse Godwin gambit. Wp sir, wp.

Comment

Some weird rambling story from SatNav @ 3.45 in the link.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                                                        The rarely attempted sophisticated reverse Godwin gambit. Wp sir, wp.
                                                                                                        Neutralises the earlier reminder that the German's elected Hitler. It's a high-level move but he has the credentials to pull it off.
                                                                                                        You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                                        World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

The time has finally come for my custody court case tomorrow, fairly nervous now, would any one know are these likely to be adjourned?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                                                                                                            The time has finally come for my custody court case tomorrow, fairly nervous now, would any one know are these likely to be adjourned?
                                                                                                            Would very much depend on if their is outstanding issues which need to be closed off before the case can be heard in it's entirety. Hard to give a definitive answer but your solicitor/barrister should have a much better idea.
                                                                                                            The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day. Gerry Thornley 23/3/09

Comment

Yeah suppose will find out in morning, tbh its first time its on and the other person more than likely won't show up so probably will

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                                                                                                                Yeah suppose will find out in morning, tbh its first time its on and the other person more than likely won't show up so probably will
                                                                                                                Hope everything works out for you.
                                                                                                                The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day. Gerry Thornley 23/3/09

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                                                                                                  Was at the scarecrow festival today in Durrow, on for another week or so, well worth a visit if yer in the surrounding areas.
                                                                                                                  Ah man... drove past Durrow today. Wish i'd known it was on would definitely have stopped off.

Many years ago i wrote a script for a short film called 'Scarecrow' partly based on this song (Hammer-sytle chiiler was what i think i was aiming for) and just 'get' scarecrows .

Scarecrows offer a decent amount of semi-occultish weirdness for me.

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                                                                                                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

snapchats is so last year, it's for old cunts.
                                                                                                                      It's all about yo! now.
                                                                                                                      X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                                                                      Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                                                                                                        Originally posted by Hatedajacks View Post
                                                                                                                        If you were single you would understand.
                                                                                                                        If you were single/or just a guy with friends who like boob pics you would understand. Savage app for when they're locked. If you have no friends willing enough sedgyfergo is a good stripper to add on it.

Out on the lash with Sirtoyou for the night. Legend supremo. Absolutely buckled and now railing him in drunken cash in the macau(I'm not allowed thank fuck!)
                                                                                                                        Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

Menachem Begin (Former Prime Minister of Israel) in 1978 - Those who shed innocent blood shall not go unpunished. We shall defend our citizens, our women, our children. We shall sever the arm of iniquity.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X