Irish Poker Boards
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Poker > General Poker
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-18, 21:01   #35961
Kayroo
Pedantophile
Tetris Champion, Asteroids Champion
 
Kayroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,068
Jack and Denny - this system was designed by the US for the benefit of the US and for seven decades has guaranteed the US remains as the global leader on trade, finance, diplomacy, military power and soft power. It has allowed them to open any market they wish save for one or two notable exceptions.

The only way the US could lose their pre-eminence outside a devastating war would be if the relative percentages of global reserve currencies shifted hard against them or if they voluntarily gave up their position at the centre of the most sophisticated international system ever designed.

So, tell me again, how does dismantling that system - a system the Soviet Union spent 50 years trying to destroy - helps the United States?
__________________
You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011
Kayroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-18, 21:07   #35962
jack90210
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayroo View Post
Jack and Denny - this system was designed by the US for the benefit of the US and for seven decades has guaranteed the US remains as the global leader on trade, finance, diplomacy, military power and soft power. It has allowed them to open any market they wish save for one or two notable exceptions.

The only way the US could lose their pre-eminence outside a devastating war would be if the relative percentages of global reserve currencies shifted hard against them or if they voluntarily gave up their position at the centre of the most sophisticated international system ever designed.

So, tell me again, how does dismantling that system - a system the Soviet Union spent 50 years trying to destroy - helps the United States?
Increasing free trade is the goal. Canada for example charge 270% tariffs on milk products https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ump-off-at-g-7 It is actually President Trumps duty as the President to fight back against that. Increasing tariffs will bring the countries with unfair tariff regimes to the negotiation tables so that a deal can be made.
jack90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-18, 21:17   #35963
Frank Gibney
Member
 
Frank Gibney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Eight lives remaining
Posts: 851
Send a message via AIM to Frank Gibney
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohsman View Post
Draw for World Cup sweepstake here - http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...98&postcount=1
__________________
"Gibney might be the greatest hero of our time." (Keane, 2012; Hitchhiker, 2017)

"Frank Gibney, he's my favourite ." (careca, 2012)
"Frank Gibney, he's my favourite." (mikeb, 2017)

Last edited by Frank Gibney; 11-06-18 at 21:19.
Frank Gibney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-18, 21:18   #35964
Kayroo
Pedantophile
Tetris Champion, Asteroids Champion
 
Kayroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack90210 View Post
Increasing free trade is the goal. Canada for example charge 270% tariffs on milk products https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ump-off-at-g-7 It is actually President Trumps duty as the President to fight back against that. Increasing tariffs will bring the countries with unfair tariff regimes to the negotiation tables so that a deal can be made.
1. How is that tariff unfair in the broader context of their trade relationship?
2. How does this approach benefit the United States as a whole?
3. Why is the goal of increasing free trade axiomatically a positive?
__________________
You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011
Kayroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-18, 21:27   #35965
Kayroo
Pedantophile
Tetris Champion, Asteroids Champion
 
Kayroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,068
Jesus Jack that article you cited doesn’t even support your position, it supports mine.

The US has a trade surplus with Canada on milk and only pays that tariff on milk above the agreed quota. The tariffs are effectively a milk subsidy like the subsidies the US gives its dairy farmers except done in a different way. This decision by Trump was even dumber than I thought, good article!
__________________
You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011
Kayroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-18, 21:28   #35966
Solksjaer!
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 2,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayroo View Post
1. How is that tariff unfair in the broader context of their trade relationship?
2. How does this approach benefit the United States as a whole?
3. Why is the goal of increasing free trade axiomatically a positive?
Denny won't like you using his word against Trump . (Damian Thorn)
Solksjaer! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-18, 21:37   #35967
jack90210
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayroo View Post
Jesus Jack that article you cited doesn’t even support your position, it supports mine.

The US has a trade surplus with Canada on milk and only pays that tariff on milk above the agreed quota. The tariffs are effectively a milk subsidy like the subsidies the US gives its dairy farmers except done in a different way. This decision by Trump was even dumber than I thought, good article!
The US model subsidies the farmer directly, the Canadian model punishes US importers. It is a subtle and important difference. Trudeau has a big interest in protecting his milk racket as 80% of the dairy farmers are in his powerbase (if he still has one). Interesting that President Trump has targeted that in particular.
jack90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-18, 21:39   #35968
Strewelpeter
Member
 
Strewelpeter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: I Won
Posts: 21,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack90210 View Post
Increasing free trade is the goal. Canada for example charge 270% tariffs on milk products https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ump-off-at-g-7 It is actually President Trumps duty as the President to fight back against that. Increasing tariffs will bring the countries with unfair tariff regimes to the negotiation tables so that a deal can be made.
I think you don't actually understand the article you linked
__________________
Turning millions into thousands
Strewelpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-18, 21:57   #35969
Emmet
Bashful the next day
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 16,880
Thoughts on US sugar jack?
Emmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-18, 22:17   #35970
ArmaniJeans
Closed Account
 
ArmaniJeans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: In the heart of Translyvania, in the Vampire Hall of Fame, Yeah
Posts: 10,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Gibney View Post
Dream draw, destiny that they win it for you now.

ArmaniJeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 11-06-18, 22:25   #35971
Keane
Martingale Enthusiast
 
Keane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Under the sea
Posts: 13,779
Send a message via MSN to Keane
There's some great stuff on twitter about tomorrow's cover of the Sun in the UK. In fairness, it's very funny - the fact that their readership apparently has no idea that they are having the piss taken out of them is a bit depressing though.

Keane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-18, 22:27   #35972
Keane
Martingale Enthusiast
 
Keane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Under the sea
Posts: 13,779
Send a message via MSN to Keane
The Loch Ness monster, a seagull and some sheep are my favourite bits #RuleBrittania
Keane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-18, 22:39   #35973
Strewelpeter
Member
 
Strewelpeter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: I Won
Posts: 21,742
that is amazing
__________________
Turning millions into thousands
Strewelpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-18, 23:11   #35974
luckforsome
Wing King
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,803
...Just realised that the summit begins in just under 2 hours...Think I'll have to stay awake and watch it...I'm so intrigued to see how this plays out...How do people think it'll play out... Part of me thinks it'll be all nice and happy, nothing major achieved and both will come out claiming victory...Another part of me thinks Kim will laugh at him and fire a missile in a few hours lol...Likely not but it'll be hilarious if he does another test...
...I also kinda fear that Trump is in a shite mood, is a prick to him and that'll be that, Kim goes all out crazy...
luckforsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-18, 00:12   #35975
Hitchhiker's Guide To...
Duncan F*****g Stewart
 
Hitchhiker's Guide To...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Cidre
Posts: 30,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
Well, it's less open now so I guess I would be tempted!

Hard to measure though?
UNCTAD has a yearly average of trade barriers afair from my days delivering an International Finance course. It's very openly available and measurable.
Hitchhiker's Guide To... is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 12-06-18, 01:58   #35976
Frank Gibney
Member
 
Frank Gibney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Eight lives remaining
Posts: 851
Send a message via AIM to Frank Gibney
__________________
"Gibney might be the greatest hero of our time." (Keane, 2012; Hitchhiker, 2017)

"Frank Gibney, he's my favourite ." (careca, 2012)
"Frank Gibney, he's my favourite." (mikeb, 2017)
Frank Gibney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-18, 04:26   #35977
Raoul Duke III
The King
 
Raoul Duke III's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Department of Truth and Unicorns
Posts: 25,459
I see the strains of trying to be Trump's lead man on trade are potentially life-damaging. (although the years of coke abuse could be a factor too)

Careful Denny and jack!
__________________
"We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."
Raoul Duke III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-18, 06:28   #35978
CourierCollie
Member
 
CourierCollie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
I see the strains of trying to be Trump's lead man on trade are potentially life-damaging. (although the years of coke abuse could be a factor too)

Careful Denny and jack!
Jeez, if you can't have a heart attack when you're 70 without slagging, when can you have one
__________________
“McDonald’s is for kids and for when you get hammered”
CourierCollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 12-06-18, 07:57   #35979
Kayroo
Pedantophile
Tetris Champion, Asteroids Champion
 
Kayroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,068
It appears the US-North Korea Agreement wasn't exactly groundbreaking.

The US gave North Korea significant security guarantees but North Korea gave the US absolutely nothing they hadn't already agreed to with South Korea in April.

A win for North Korea to be sure. A PR win for Trump maybe, although substantively he hasn't really achieved anything. In fact he probably proved the last 10 US Presidents right for refusing to negotiate with the regime unless certain pre-conditions were met as they didn't believe a summit could achieve anything meaningful without them.

Still I'm sure it'll be portrayed as some form of success by the administration.
__________________
You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011
Kayroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 12-06-18, 08:11   #35980
Hitchhiker's Guide To...
Duncan F*****g Stewart
 
Hitchhiker's Guide To...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Cidre
Posts: 30,064
Hitchhiker's Guide To... is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Irish Poker Boards > Poker > General Poker

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 22:14.