Irish Poker Boards
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Poker > General Poker

Old 09-03-18, 19:31   #27961
Hitchhiker's Guide To...
Duncan F*****g Stewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
I have a meeting with my pension advisor next week, poor idea to change to 100% equities now?
At your age you should be 100% equity (assuming the alternatives are bonds and cash). It's a 30-40 year decision you are making! I'd personally try to be marginally underweight Europe and US as a long-term play and overweight developing markets + frontier markets (if later is possible).

Not a short or medium term view btw, but a long term one. Like e.g. if US + Europe are 70% of global market cap, then maybe be around 60% weighted in that, plus 40% in others.
Hitchhiker's Guide To... is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 09-03-18, 20:07   #27962
Strewelpeter

No sympathy at all for the lad but that RTE producer is going to jail in the UK for 18 months for what is essentially a thought crime.

https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2018/...creaven-court/

Question that maybe Hotspur would know the answer to but do lads like him ever come in looking for help without being forced in by being caught?
I suppose its not something that anyone would be talking about in public afterwards.

Last edited by Strewelpeter; 09-03-18 at 20:12.
Strewelpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-18, 20:10   #27963
6starpool
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strewelpeter View Post
No sympathy at all for the lad but that RTE producer is going to jail in the UK for 18 months for what is essentially a thought crime.
If he thought of having sex with a 13 year old, that would be his business. Once he actually arranged a meeting with what he thought was one to have actual sex, that made it very far removed from a thought crime. I'm amazed at your post to be honest.
Old 09-03-18, 20:18   #27964
Hitchhiker's Guide To...
Duncan F*****g Stewart

They arrested someone in UK recently for leaving an angry note on an ambulance saying 'why is your fucking ambulance in my parking spot'. Stupid, and clearly in the wrong spirit of things, but how the fck could that ever be an arresting event? Ergo they love arresting people for stuff there.

Having said that, the guy literally went over to meet a kid, so this seems bang to rights.
Old 09-03-18, 20:19   #27965
Lazare
GFML

Am proud of this one...

Lazare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-18, 20:24   #27966
Raoul Duke III
The King

Win the Cheltenham Tipping Comp and the world can GFO. €1,700 to play for.

Old 09-03-18, 20:32   #27967
V for Vendetta
Shameless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
I have a meeting with my pension advisor next week, poor idea to change to 100% equities now?

Jeez would want to lump it in now so.
What were you in??

In the medium term I’d prefer infrastructure, emerging market multi assets, litigation finance, pharma royalties lending, reinsurance funds. Basically diverse income yielding alternatives for the next few years than a passive equity holding given equity valuations now.

But in reality it’s very hard for a normal punter to get access to that sort of diversification at a reasonable cost.
Old 09-03-18, 20:36   #27968
Hitchhiker's Guide To...
Duncan F*****g Stewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
A slightly controversial opinion but Martin Skreli aka 'pharma bro' seems to be facing 5-10 years in jail at the moment primarily because of being a dick rather than an actual criminal. Not sure it's a great idea to be sending people to jail because you don't like them.
Ah Martin bro, these words don't become you.

Quote:
"There one person to blame for me being here today is me," a choked-up Shkreli told a judge before she imposed the prison term in Brooklyn, New York, federal court.

"Not the government. There is no conspiracy to take down Martin Shkreli."

"I took down Martin Shkreli with my disgraceful and shameful actions."

"This is my fault. I am no victim here,"
Saw an interview from a while back and it's like his core problem is he listened too well in finance class and didn't realise most of that theory is bs.
Old 09-03-18, 20:37   #27969
Strewelpeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5starpool View Post
If he thought of having sex with a 13 year old, that would be his business. Once he actually arranged a meeting with what he thought was one to have actual sex, that made it very far removed from a thought crime. I'm amazed at your post to be honest.
His is a very clear cut case but I am still a bit uncomfortable about these entrapment vigilantes and can imagine more innocent types being led on.

Its more the idea of him claiming to be relieved that he was caught and is now able to get help has me wondering about the whole concept of preempting criminal and anti social behaviours.
Old 09-03-18, 20:38   #27970
Hitchhiker's Guide To...
Duncan F*****g Stewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by V for Vendetta View Post
What were you in??

In the medium term Id prefer infrastructure, emerging market multi assets, litigation finance, pharma royalties lending, reinsurance funds. Basically diverse income yielding alternatives for the next few years than a passive equity holding given equity valuations now.

But in reality its very hard for a normal punter to get access to that sort of diversification at a reasonable cost.
Is it straightforward to get into a frontier market fund? - think there's an ETF Frontier100, of 100 most liquid frontier market stocks, but don't know how accessible it is.
Old 09-03-18, 20:42   #27971
Lazare
GFML

The law should be set up in such a way as to catch these cunts regardless of the method. Imo.

Have mixed opinions about these vigilante paedo hunter groups though. Something seems wrong about it to me. Maybe the vigilante aspect of it. I think I'd be more comfortable with it if it was undercover Police/Gardai doing it.
Old 09-03-18, 20:44   #27972
dobby

Quote:
His is a very clear cut case but I am still a bit uncomfortable about these entrapment vigilantes and can imagine more innocent types being led on.

Its more the idea of him claiming to be relieved that he was caught and is now able to get help has me wondering about the whole concept of preempting criminal and anti social behaviours.
Have said it before. The vigilante groups need to contact the police/gardai before meeting these people. They should be turning up with the Gards, not just ringing them at the time and waiting. But yanno, Facebook likes is where it's at
dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 09-03-18, 20:47   #27973
V for Vendetta
Shameless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
Is it straightforward to get into a frontier market fund? - think there's an ETF Frontier100, of 100 most liquid frontier market stocks, but don't know how accessible it is.
Is there not some real issues getting into more obscure ETF funds due to the main US providers not being interested in complying with new European disclosure requirements? I read a thread on it a few weeks ago and Vangard seemed to be withdrawing availability of euro based ETFs which was creating major tax headaches for Irish tax residents.

None of my corporate clients use ETFs so I dont know very much about them.

Im sure there are plenty of frontier ETFs available via online brokers but the tax implications need to be clearly understood.
Old 09-03-18, 21:22   #27974
Hitchhiker's Guide To...
Duncan F*****g Stewart

Quote:
Is there not some real issues getting into more obscure ETF funds due to the main US providers not being interested in complying with new European disclosure requirements? I read a thread on it a few weeks ago and Vangard seemed to be withdrawing availability of euro based ETFs which was creating major tax headaches for Irish tax residents.

None of my corporate clients use ETFs so I don’t know very much about them.

I’m sure there are plenty of frontier ETFs available via online brokers but the tax implications need to be clearly understood.
ah right, know nothing about them in practice. It's an iShares one. Wrote a paper on some pricing features of those markets, so had to read everything already published beforehand, and ended up convincing myself their potential was amazing! (well the African frontier markets, not the dodgy Eastern European ones without the demographic dividends)
Old 09-03-18, 21:26   #27975
Keane
Martingale Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Keane
Quote:

https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2018/...creaven-court/

Question that maybe Hotspur would know the answer to but do lads like him ever come in looking for help without being forced in by being caught?
I suppose its not something that anyone would be talking about in public afterwards.
I remember listening to a podcast one time about people who felt these urges and had set up support groups online to try and stop themselves acting upon them.

There was an 18 year old lad who had set up a forum and all, was quite sad.
Keane is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 09-03-18, 21:31   #27976
Keane
Martingale Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Keane
Quote:

None of my corporate clients use ETFs so I dont know very much about them.

Im sure there are plenty of frontier ETFs available via online brokers but the tax implications need to be clearly understood.
I think it's easier to get into those funds through things like pensions than just on your own through degiro or whatever.

I saw a thread on AAM today suggesting that there will be some way around the documentation issue in the medium term. Seems that there may be a loophole where you can ask for access to them rather than being 'offered' them. There's apparently an issue where the documentation is required in the EU now but for some reason actively disallowed in the US, so there may be an angle where they provide the documentation but with a disclaimer that it's not for use by Americans.
Keane is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 09-03-18, 21:35   #27977
eamonhonda

Long range @tylerdurden spotting in convention centre
Old 09-03-18, 22:02   #27978
6starpool
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eamonhonda View Post
Long range @tylerdurden spotting in convention centre
What was the event?
Old 09-03-18, 22:20   #27979
Hitchhiker's Guide To...
Duncan F*****g Stewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5starpool View Post
What was the event?
He just told you old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eamonhonda View Post
Long range @tylerdurden spotting
Thanks From:
Old 09-03-18, 22:22   #27980
Hitchhiker's Guide To...
Duncan F*****g Stewart

Never in Hotspurs wildest dreams did he believe it would become this big, and now all the smart money is on it making the next olympics.
2 Thanks From:

Irish Poker Boards > Poker > General Poker