Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
    It’s unenforceable in law because it’s not “rape”, a criminal act defined in law.

What’s clear is that people want the current definition of rape broadened and / or the burden of proof lowered. That’s what this #ibelieveher nonsense is about. Ye don’t have my vote.
    Why not broaden the definition of rape?
    Up until relatively recently, lying about using a jonny wasn't rape,
    a husband legally was incapable of raping his wife.

I think that argument is a poor one to plant your flag.
    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
      The scariest divide here is between rugby supporters thinking there was a conspiracy against the lads and everyone else who to differing degrees realises at the very least a line was crossed.

Wasn't it the same here with Liverpool supporters and some guy who was going around biting people? There was a decent number of supporters arguing with eloquent references that cannibalism was a perfectly healthy and natural way of expressing yourself.
      Think that's bollix. Some rugby supporters are serious defenders but i know more who reckon they are lucky with the verdict or guilty of pressuring her to do something she didn't really want to do and just about managed to get enough consent for legal reasons but nowhere near enough for ethical.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

That was just my morning pre-coffee windup attempt. Was originally going to then end up with a statement about the mindset of sports supporters in general, but couldn't frame it right without looking far too obvious.
          Even for you, it was blatant trolling.

You're losing your edge and clearly lead a very sheltered life.
          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Can someone send me that masters competitions link. Unless there is one going on here. I thought I saw a post.

Eamo. You ok hun ?

Comment

Comment

Power move by Trump. Fires the Secretary for Veteran Affairs in order to boost the stock market by half a percent. That man is on fire.

He should fire Mueller too!

Imagine the beautiful, tremendous, greatgreatgreat impact on stock prices! And he hires the best people! And, eh, does the best firings! Box Office!!

Comment

Originally posted by jbravado View Post
                  I still think his apology is pretty telling.
                  I thought Olding's statement came across reasonably well, though the cynic in me believe it could be a well-advised 'all things to all men' statement that a PR professional prepared for him.

Comment

Ridic levels of holiday-related spending. Have six weeks of trips over four trips between May and Aug, mainly family holidays but mixed with a bit of work. Started the process of paying for them today. About 15 individual payments this morning adding up to €3k, and then need to find another €7.5k in advance of the actual trips. Week in Dublin for the four of us in July seems to be running to €2.5k, just on basic Ryanair flights and a dodgy AirBnB, which seems like an atrocious amount of money. Its grand as the money will all be there, but hadn't quite realised until went to pay for everything that had committed to 10 grand worth of tripping.
                    Have you your own place in France? If so surely you could do a house (apartment) swap for the week and save that money? I presume lots of people would like to spend a week in France with only flights to worry about.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Bullocks View Post
                      Can someone send me that masters competitions link. Unless there is one going on here. I thought I saw a post.

Eamo. You ok hun ?

Sign up to the mailing list there. Great comp and I know Alan, completely trustworthy with the loot.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                          https://alancrookes.us8.list-manage....d&e=ad1d806ff7

Sign up to the mailing list there. Great comp and I know Alan, completely trustworthy with the loot.
                          Got it. Cheers. Now to win it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                            also, whilst the lads messages are getting the focus I think it is worth considering the words and tone of the messages she sent the following morning to her mates. Proof of nothing but it left me wondering as to the reliability of her overall claims and it would also help you consider how something gets rolling to the point of no reverse.
                            Yup her ones were much more telling imo. They are the reason I thought they would go down for it.

Comment

The scariest divide here is between rugby supporters thinking there was a conspiracy against the lads and everyone else who to differing degrees realises at the very least a line was crossed.

Wasn't it the same here with Liverpool supporters and some guy who was going around biting people? There was a decent number of supporters arguing with eloquent references that cannibalism was a perfectly healthy and natural way of expressing yourself.
                              This place.gets more Jim every day.
                              "Gibney might be the greatest hero of our time." (Keane, 2012; Hitchhiker, 2017)

"Frank Gibney, he's my favourite ." (careca, 2012)
                              "Frank Gibney, he's my favourite." (mikeb, 2017)

Comment

It’s unenforceable in law because it’s not “rape”, a criminal act defined in law.

What’s clear is that people want the current definition of rape broadened and / or the burden of proof lowered. That’s what this #ibelieveher nonsense is about. Ye don’t have my vote.

I don't disagree with that but you know in a court of law it was found that a child who was seriously sexually abused was not raped because there was no penetration.

I'm not saying I want the law changed, I want peoples minds changed.

In an ideal world a person who feels they have been raped should only have to prove their bona fides, that they are not prosecuting out of malice and not have to have their stained knickers, dress, sexual history or whatever paraded around a court. But its far from an ideal world and in difficult cases like this its because I recognise that the law is close to useless that the way to avoid situations like this is to establish consent as something so obvious and normal that you don't have ridiculous things like grown men coming on here and pretending that they don't understand it ... or worse still, almost unimaginable to me that they really do not understand it.

Final word on this is to say that if its true what RDIII says about the connections of the girls family then they made a terrible mistake by going for public justice.
                                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by TheJiggaman View Post
                                  For an office of about 15 people, what way would you run a Masters competition?

Something like a fiver a person and everyone gets two players each randomly. Best score wins?

Or would you combine both players' scores or something?
                                  Would've thought there'd have been an instant reply to this to be honest

Slightly let down!

Comment

Slightly let down!

buy yeah divide the runners equally among the entrants
                                    or charge a premium for top 10 seeds or something if it doesnt go even
                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Slightly let down!
                                      3/4 golfers each. Combined best 2/3 golfers score. More than one misses the cut and you're out.

Prob need some sort of seeding. Each person can only have 1 of the top 10-15 in betting maybe
                                      airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

buy yeah divide the runners equally among the entrants
                                        or charge a premium for top 10 seeds or something if it doesnt go even
                                        I am a golfer buddy!

Cheers though for that - Cheers Honda too!

We'll probably do 3 golfers each with best two scores from them.

We'll do that too.. Best 15 seeds in one hat which we'll all pick from. Rest then in the other.

Comment

Do the stats on the prosecutions for sexual assaults not bother you at all?

Tbh I think the only way you can describe it as " #ibelieveher nonsense" is if you don't get what's really driving it.

Think there's a strong case for removing juries from such cases in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

Tbh I think the only way you can describe it as " #ibelieveher nonsense" is if you don't get what's really driving it.

Think there's a strong case for removing juries from such cases in the first place.
                                            Straight to the gulag?

Comment

Originally posted by jack90210 View Post
                                              Straight to the gulag?
                                              Jack why not stop being a cunt and get involved in what has been an interesting and reasonable debate?

Comment

That’s a good shout on no juries IMO

Comment

Originally posted by eoghan104 View Post
                                                  Jack why not stop being a cunt and get involved in what has been an interesting and reasonable debate?
                                                  Well I believe in the right of all to a jury unless it can be proven they are a threat to the jurors. Any sort of extra judicial approach to a certain category of crime because it suits the narrative of the day isnt acceptable in my opinion.

Comment

Well I believe in the right of all to a jury unless it can be proven they are a threat to the jurors. Any sort of extra judicial approach to a certain category of crime because it suits the narrative of the day isnt acceptable in my opinion.
                                                    Isn’t that a better response than your original one?

Comment

Originally posted by eoghan104 View Post
                                                      Isn’t that a better response than your original one?
                                                      Yeah fair call.

Comment

Comment

Comment

The judges summation seems to indicate an acquittal in a non jury trial scenario for this case, no?
                                                            "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

In other news, am making a sack of frozen carbonara pasta for dinner. The wife is giving off distinct vibes that she feels like I've given up in life, while the kids are intrigued as to what else could be frozen for speed of delivery.
                                                              Frozen carbonara, what do you mean? You're making it and freezing it or you've bought it frozen?

Not a fan of either, it's such a simple and delicious dish to make fresh, wouldn't freeze well though.
                                                              I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

In other news, am making a sack of frozen carbonara pasta for dinner. The wife is giving off distinct vibes that she feels like I've given up in life, while the kids are intrigued as to what else could be frozen for speed of delivery.
                                                                You're freezing it or bought frozen?

Either way would take as long to heat up as to do fresh and if a re-heat you will defo scramble the egg by heating it a second time!

Comment

The judges summation seems to indicate an acquittal in a non jury trial scenario for this case, no?
                                                                  In 10 seconds flat too! Lady judge as well...

Comment

That the only bit you're responding to?

I'm not working off a sample size of one, pretty clear that biases play a much bigger role in these cases and lay people really don't get the technicalities involved.

Comment

US jobless claims lowest in 45 years!!

Comment

That the only bit you're responding to?

I'm not working off a sample size of one, pretty clear that biases play a much bigger role in these cases and lay people really don't get the technicalities involved.
                                                                        Hence why the jury gets so much legal direction...the judges summary was basically 'acquit FFS'.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                              You are ignoring the context. Or at the very least not controlling for it. To you their brash shite is grim, to others its brash shite, and to them we can only guess.
                                                                              In an absolute sense, it's grim.

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                                                                https://alancrookes.us8.list-manage....d&e=ad1d806ff7

Signed up but he is a Crook, why didn't you tell me ?

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                                                                                  What's known at the best weekly quiz in Dublin town?
                                                                                  For tonight?

Andy rigger and myself gone to the grand social quiz

Realise this may be of no use to you now

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                    Hence why the jury gets so much legal direction...the judges summary was basically 'acquit FFS'.
                                                                                    So we've a system where a single digit percentage of the cases end up in court, the majority of which don't end up in a conviction, where the victim is put through the wringer, and no one has any urge to change that? I really really don't get it.

Is this a bit like abortion here where if it were men getting pregnant things would be different or is there a nuance that I'm missing?

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                      For tonight?

Andy rigger and myself gone to the grand social quiz

Realise this may be of no use to you now
                                                                                      You guys do that every week?

Icky was asking me about going for a pint, be nice to get him up some Thurs and meet up with you cunce.

Comment

So we've a system where a single digit percentage of the cases end up in court, the majority of which don't end up in a conviction, where the victim is put through the wringer, and no one has any urge to change that? I really really don't get it.

Is this a bit like abortion here where if it were men getting pregnant things would be different or is there a nuance that I'm missing?
                                                                                        Would hazard a guess that less than a single digit percentage become cases in the first place.

Comment

...

Comment

Is there a country that has a better legal system for these types of things that we could mimic in order to fix the situation? I guess if no country does then its just very hard to legislate and if some countries do but we don't then thats much more negative. Presumably the Scandinavians as the world's enlightened people have something better worked out.
                                                                                            Gonna guess somewhere like Scandinavia too or NL but have no idea.

There is quite a high bar to prove something like no consent when it's all but the least dubious cases so it seems like quite a hard thing.

Comment

Is there a country that has a better legal system for these types of things that we could mimic in order to fix the situation? I guess if no country does then its just very hard to legislate and if some countries do but we don't then thats much more negative. Presumably the Scandinavians as the world's enlightened people have something better worked out.
                                                                                              Why is there even no impulse to improve?

I was out in the pub with a girl just now and she asked me about the case, and her view was that the girl was probably up for x but not y, and in black and white terms for Eoghan, in an Irish context that's rape.

(4) Consent to a sexual act may be withdrawn at any time before the act begins, or in the case of a continuing act, while the act is taking place.

(5) Any failure or omission on the part of a person to offer resistance to an act does not of itself constitute consent to that act.
                                                                                              She told me a story then about going home with a famous guy while drunk and she kept saying no until he coerced her into sex, but she doesn't really think of him as a rapist but there it is in blacnk and white

(2) A person does not consent to a sexual act if—

(a) he or she permits the act to take place or submits to it because of the application of force to him or her or to some other person, or because of the threat of the application of force to him or her or to some other person, or because of a well-founded fear that force may be applied to him or her or to some other person,
                                                                                              And she was locked

(c) he or she is incapable of consenting because of the effect of alcohol or some other drug,
                                                                                              What would be the odds of a conviction if she even had decided to pursue it? 1%?

But yeah, status quo. Grand.

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                                  Would hazard a guess that less than a single digit percentage become cases in the first place.
                                                                                                  the only way to have a reasonable shot of bringing it to court and a conviction is if it;s a "man in the bushes who violently attacks someone" type of thing, preferably caught on CCTV, completely ignores the fact that the vast vast majority of rapes are committed by someone the person knows.

Comment

meh, these things are just trends, and that trend started ages ago. Its like the person who put the cherry on the cake claiming they made the cake.

Did find this interesting though. Had taken it to heart that America was an absolute basketcase because real wages there hadn't risen in 40 years. It seems that particular statistic, beloved of the left in Europe, is basically absolute horseshit.

With the jobs figures and David Hogg doing everything he can to motivate Republican voters, I'd imagine President Trump will be confident going into the mid-terms.

Comment

Proper beat. Announced a fake pregnancy on twitter. Hangry = pregnancy some fucking how.
                                                                                                      I'm dealing with a whirlwind of shit atm.
                                                                                                      FMFL

Comment

With the jobs figures and David Hogg doing everything he can to motivate Republican voters, I'd imagine President Trump will be confident going into the mid-terms.
                                                                                                        Yeah, because the GOP have won every electoral contest since he became Prez. Oh no wait, they've lost them. All of them, even unloseable ones like Alabama.

In a way it's sublimely poetic justice. Obama's (who he trolled constantly with outrageous slurs) presidency is about to be mirrored in Trump's, with the Hill united in total opposition to his agenda. Quack, quack lame duck.

Pass the Kleenex.

Comment

...

Comment

Yeah, because the GOP have won every electoral contest since he became Prez. Oh no wait, they've lost them. All of them, even unloseable ones like Alabama.

In a way it's sublimely poetic justice. Obama's (who he trolled constantly with outrageous slurs) presidency is about to be mirrored in Trump's, with the Hill united in total opposition to his agenda. Quack, quack lame duck.

Pass the Kleenex.
                                                                                                            We will see, Alabama was a shock no doubt but the candidate there wasn't good and President Trump backed the other guy. I honestly think the absolute worst strategy by the Democrats is to go after the guns so hard, it literally just motivates the Republican base harder than ever.

Comment

...

Comment

We will see, Alabama was a shock no doubt but the candidate there wasn't good and President Trump backed the other guy. I honestly think the absolute worst strategy by the Democrats is to go after the guns so hard, it literally just motivates the Republican base harder than ever.
                                                                                                                Telling that you think 'going after the guns' is an electoral strategy.

Comment

You guys do that every week?

Icky was asking me about going for a pint, be nice to get him up some Thurs and meet up with you cunce.
                                                                                                                  Andy and Rigger go most weeks yeah. I'm off tomorrow so joined in tonight.

Should defo organise that

Comment

Seems to be a very good Telegraph article here on this. Including this very positive idea.
                                                                                                                    Yeah imagine you're the victim of a crime and you're as much on trial as the alleged. That girl spent what 8 days on the stand versus 1 or 1.5 for the lads. Madness.

Comment

And Pennsylvania?

Comment

Telling that you think 'going after the guns' is an electoral strategy.
                                                                                                                        It's not about what I think its the Republican base.

Comment

And Pennsylvania?
                                                                                                                          Another shock.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X