No More Fear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Workout 54, Saturday 4th 11:00am

Quite sore this morning. Think the rowing took it out of me.

Warmup

Stretching

Strength Movements

Establish a heavy Power Clean and Push Jerk
    1 @ 40kgs
    1 @ 50kgs
    1 @ 55kgs
    1 @ 57.5kgs
    1 @ 60kgs
    1 @ 65kgs
    1 @ 67.5kgs
    1 @ 67.5kgs

Not tidy. Not sitting into the Clean or Push Jerk enough.

Poor angle on the video so not sure much can be said.

2X10 Deadlift, resetting at floor each time, minimal rest at floor.

First set, 90kg, second set, heaviest possible with perfect form (based on how strong you're feeling that day)
    5 @ 60kgs
    10 @ 90kgs
    10 @ 110kgs

Critiques and advice welcome.

Metcon

15 min cap:

20 Pull-ups
    10 Hang Power Snatches 35Kg
    15 Pull-ups
    7 Hang Power Snatches 35Kg
    10 Pull-ups
    5 Hang Power Snatches 35Kg
    Got the first of the 10 Pull-ups done.

Heavy session.
    Last edited by LuckyLloyd; 04-05-13, 16:40.
    "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Deadlift form is so close to be spot on, if you look at your shoulders/ chest, they roll forward an inch just at the very bottom of your descent.

It's probably a mobility issue, as you're keeping the torso in great position just until that very point. You clearly know what you're supposed to be doing (chest high and shoulders back) but can't quite get to the low without breaking form that tiny bit.

Are you getting any hamstring / glute mobility work in? Squatting deep?

It looks like the form is there, but the mobility needs to catch up.

This will probably help you in the cleans too, as you'll have an extra couple of inches of 'bounce' available to you.
      Last edited by Emmet; 04-05-13, 12:51.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
        Nothing to be disgusted about here. 1.30 is a great 500m time (PR?). Lots of deadlift carry over, so you are prob suited to short distance rowing. I doubt there was too many that broke into the 20s.
        Sometimes we just fade towards the end if we pace too fast. And 1m22s was too fast imo. Few people could of held that. I try to pace 2 seconds under my PR, any more and I can't finish strong.

Check out the Irish rower records for some reference.
        http://concept2.co.uk/records/500_irish
        Yep. To be honest, last Friday and yesterday are the only two times I can remember properly going after it over 500m.

And you're right of course. It's a good time relatively speaking. I'll see if I can get sub 1:30 next time and go out a bit smarter like you suggested.
        "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

I hate giving deadlift advice as I am a crap deadlifter but they look good.

Perhaps you could pull a bit more behind you as it looks like you're going straight up i.e. possibly need to keep the bar a bit closer to your body. Scrape that mofo off your shins. I would prefer a side-on view to confirm this though as I can't really tell. You were built to deadlift with those long arms btw!

Upper back rounding is perfectly fine. If you look at any of the big pullers they all deadlift with a rounded upper back. Not an issue once your lower back is in the correct position.

I won't give advice on cleans as not my area. Nice to see some videos in the log!

Comment

Im wary that too much critique confuses people but I have to agree with Lurker here..

You dont need to pin your shoulders back rather keep your spinal position correct.

Rippetoe has a bit on this in his book.
            This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
            All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
            The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
              Deadlift form is so close to be spot on, if you look at your shoulders/ chest, they roll forward an inch just at the very bottom of your descent.

It's probably a mobility issue, as you're keeping the torso in great position just until that very point. You clearly know what you're supposed to be doing (chest high and shoulders back) but can't quite get to the low without breaking form that tiny bit.

Are you getting any hamstring / glute mobility work in? Squatting deep?

It looks like the form is there, but the mobility needs to catch up.

This will probably help you in the cleans too, as you'll have an extra couple of inches of 'bounce' available to you.
              Not squatting at present on account of knee tendinosis. Mobility obviously isn't great. The mobility work (and most things in general) are trying to unwind years of bad training, bad living and sitting at a desk. So yes - I find it incredibly difficult trying to hold that position all the way down to grabbing the bar. I don't think there's much doubt that flexibility is slowly getting there, just need to keep working on it.

Originally posted by Lurker23 View Post
              I hate giving deadlift advice as I am a crap deadlifter but they look good.

Perhaps you could pull a bit more behind you as it looks like you're going straight up i.e. possibly need to keep the bar a bit closer to your body. Scrape that mofo off your shins. I would prefer a side-on view to confirm this though as I can't really tell. You were built to deadlift with those long arms btw!

Upper back rounding is perfectly fine. If you look at any of the big pullers they all deadlift with a rounded upper back. Not an issue once your lower back is in the correct position.

I won't give advice on cleans as not my area. Nice to see some videos in the log!
              Cheers - I do scrape the bar off the shins yes, but no harm to pull it into me more actively. Something that would be all the more important on heavier work sets.

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
              Im wary that too much critique confuses people but I have to agree with Lurker here..

You dont need to pin your shoulders back rather keep your spinal position correct.

Rippetoe has a bit on this in his book.
              Will was of the same opinion on the deadlifts. He also made the point that pinning your shoulders back deliberately is often a silly thing as it leads to an unrealisitic setup - i.e. you'll look great before you begin the pull but on a heavier set you'll have a position you can't maintain and instantly lose your initial position once the bar breaks the ground. For most people (i.e. me) it's the wrong cue as I won't be strong enough to keep the shoulders clenched back.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I might try and get a video of my last two worksets on Tuesday (planned to be a little heavier @ 130 - 140kgs). In the haunted house with these since the banded deadlifts incident the Friday before last.

Comment

Workout 55, Monday 6th 11:00 am

Warmup

20 minute walk up the hill to the gym
                Some kneeling muscle ups
                Stretching
                Leg Swings
                Roll overs

Skill Movement

7X2- Hang Power Snatch – heaviest possible, rest 60 sec.
                Bar work
                2 @ 30kgs
                2 @ 32.5kgs
                2 @ 35kgs (James watched the first here and asked me to work on getting my arms locked before the catch - when my heels land my hands should be set and no pressout can be possible from there)
                2 @ 37.5kgs (this was better)
                1 @ 40kgs, F @ 40kgs (failed the second rep)
                2 @ 40kgs

I could spend my whole life trying to master this movement and not get it realistically.

Metcon

20 minute cap:

30 Overhead Press 52.5Kg
                30 Kettlbell Swings 24kg
                30 Pull-ups
                30 Push Ups
                Got 14 Push Ups done. Annoyed, thought I might finish this but Press and Pull Ups were so, so tough.

Comment

Fair dues for keeping the thread lit L-Dawg.

Do you enjoy the actual exercise you are doing? Maybe enjoy is the wrong word.

Comment

Originally posted by jbravado View Post
                    Fair dues for keeping the thread lit L-Dawg.

Do you enjoy the actual exercise you are doing? Maybe enjoy is the wrong word.
                    Enjoy, no. I'm happy doing the low skill movements and just pumping them out. I have a lot of motivation at present. But the high skill weightlifting / gymnastic stuff tests that motivation to the limit.

Snatch variations
                    Squat Cleans
                    Muscle Ups
                    Double Unders
                    Kettlebell snatches
                    Wall Walks
                    Handstand practice

Are all things I hate. I'm 29 years old and I'm never going to be good at any of them, and I'm not some dude who's been training regularly for years and requires skill variations to keep him interested. I'd be happy to just be turning up and pumping out strength, mobility, endurance and aerobic work and trying to get stronger and fitter in the simplest way possible. But unfortunately I have to live with it, this is Crossfit and it's worth swallowing it for the level of coaching and structure provided.

I can't afford one on one coaching; and I don't have the discipline and knowledge to program for myself. So we are where we are.

Comment

Workout 56, Tuesday 7th 18:30pm

Warmup

Foam Rolling
                      Shoulder Dislocates
                      Wall Slides
                      Push Ups
                      Leg Swings
                      Stretching

Strength Movement

5X5 Deadlift

*Notes: Full lift, from floor. Get progressively heavier each set and build up to a solid, technical 5RM. Probably in the region of 140kg (so 100,110,120,130, 140 would be good.)
                      5 @ 60kgs
                      5 @ 80kgs
                      5 @ 100kgs

5 @ 110kgs

5 @ 120kgs
                      5 @ 130kgs

4 @ 140kgs + telling off from Colm for exceeding 20 minute time cap

ROUND BACK R US

It's never set properly. I'm getting away with it because my back doesn't move much, but this isn't sustainable. Fuck it anyway, that angle is very black and white.

Metcon

15 min cap:

3 rounds for time of:

Row 500m
                      10 Dumbell Push Press, 20kg
                      Done in 12:45. Row times:

1:43.3
                      1:46.6
                      1:47.4

Push Presses were 6 sets of five. Actually happy enough with all that though it is amazing how those seconds of rest here and there add up.

Comment

I'm loving the vids Lloyd. Very educational.

You're making some serious progress and the body has slimmed down big time from that bike pic at the start of this thread. Just keep with it and the accumulation of benefits (increased mobility, increased strength, better eating habits) will make you unstoppable.
                        ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                          [It's never set properly. I'm getting away with it because my back doesn't move much, but this isn't sustainable. Fuck it anyway, that angle is very black and white.
                          If it's okay, i'd like to point out three things. If not, just disregard.

1. Work on your hamstring flexibility. That will allow you to address to bar better
                          2. When you address the bar, you need to engage your shoulders ie head up, chest up, scaps pulled back -> now deadlift. (The shoulders rolling forward is causing your back to round).
                          3. Your movement is slow. The time under tension will rponounce everything your doing wrong. That okay at a light weight, but not as you get heavier.

Are you using a mixed grip? If you're using double over grip it will cause your back to round when the weight is too heavy for you too.

Comment

You dont need to pull your scap back.

There are a good few reads on this but basically, its not a natural position and as long as your spine isnt compromised in the lower back theres no issue.

Seems to me the scap pulled back thing is a crossover from the squat position which isnt applicable for DL.
                            Last edited by Theresa; 08-05-13, 09:03. Reason: scap not scaps. clarifying.
                            All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                            The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

You dont need to pull your scap back.

There are a good few reads on this but basically, its not a natural position and as long as your spine isnt compromised in the lower back theres no issue.

Seems to me the scap pulled back thing is a crossover from the squat position which isnt applicable for DL.
                              It's just a trick to get the shoulders pulled back and engaged rather than letting them slump and round and then roll forward as the weight comes up.

Or so says Will H, and it worked for me.

Comment

Originally posted by TomD View Post
                                It's just a trick to get the shoulders pulled back and engaged rather than letting them slump and round and then roll forward as the weight comes up.

Or so says Will H, and it worked for me.
                                Wills usually right....

Anything Ive read recently by well regarded coaches maintains theres no real need for the pinned shoulders set up. Did Will post about it anywhere? Im sure Lloyd would like to read it too!

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                  I'm loving the vids Lloyd. Very educational.

You're making some serious progress and the body has slimmed down big time from that bike pic at the start of this thread. Just keep with it and the accumulation of benefits (increased mobility, increased strength, better eating habits) will make you unstoppable.
                                  That's nice of you to say Olly. I actually thought the videos were a little disappointing in terms of weightloss but it's difficult for me to judge. In any case, trying not to worry about that stuff and just powering on with the training and improved diet.

If it's okay, i'd like to point out three things. If not, just disregard.

1. Work on your hamstring flexibility. That will allow you to address to bar better
                                  2. When you address the bar, you need to engage your shoulders ie head up, chest up, scaps pulled back -> now deadlift. (The shoulders rolling forward is causing your back to round).
                                  3. Your movement is slow. The time under tension will rponounce everything your doing wrong. That okay at a light weight, but not as you get heavier.

Are you using a mixed grip? If you're using double over grip it will cause your back to round when the weight is too heavy for you too.
                                  Absolutely point things out - that's the idea! Agree with regards to the hamstring flexibility and mixed grip. The shoulders back is proving real difficult - I'm trying and failing miserably to do that in those vids...

Comment

Wills usually right....

Anything Ive read recently by well regarded coaches maintains theres no real need for the pinned shoulders set up. Did Will post about it anywhere? Im sure Lloyd would like to read it too!
                                    No, it's from when i trained with him in IP. I accept that he could be wrong, but it works for me. I'll ask Hanley about it when i speak to him.

Comment

No, it's from when i trained with him in IP. I accept that he could be wrong, but it works for me. I'll ask Hanley about it when i speak to him.
                                      I think its more likely he is right though, thats what I meant. I wouldnt mind reading his rationale.

Comment

I think that chest up and l scap back (or rather trying to against the load) helps you keep an upright spine better, rather than being a necessary position itself.

Comment

Workout 57, Wednesday 8th 18:30pm

Bah, bad workout here. Wasn't there for whatever reason.

Warmup

Shoulder Dislocates
                                          Wall Slides
                                          Foam Rolling
                                          3 Pull Ups x 4
                                          Leg Swings
                                          Stretching
                                          Rollovers

Strength Movement

7 X 2 Hang Power Clean + 1 Jerk – heaviest possible, rest 60 sec
                                          First, misread the above this morning and did full Power Cleans. Bah. Bunch of work up to 65kgs as the heaviest. Colm had me working on my Power Clean form. He reckons my pull from the floor is too strong for the weights I'm moving and it's forcing a pause on the hit. I need to really deliberately slow it down. Plus my Push Jerks were poor, struggling to sit under the bar right. Bah. Here's two examples of poor movement at 55 and 60kgs respectively:

Metcon

20 min cap:

6 rounds for total working time of:

20 Kettlebell Swings 24/16Kg
                                          15 Pushups

Rest 1:1 for first 3 rounds, then 2:1 for final 3 rounds. (Ratio is WORK:REST.)
                                          4 Rounds done using the prescribed work : rest ratios. Just no energy. Do better next time.

Comment

Vids are strangely helping me spot stuff in my own form.

You are jumping forward. This isnt good as it means the bar isnt travelling straight and your prob not keeping it close to your body.

Makes it a lot less efficient. I do the same thing and have been steadily working it out. trying to.

Comment

Workout 58, Friday 10th 18:30pm

Warmup

Wall Slides
                                              Leg Swings
                                              Pull Ups
                                              Stretching

Strength Movement

“(Power) Elisabeth”

21-15-9 of:

Power Cleans 60kg
                                              Pushups on dumbell handles
                                              14 minutes 10 seconds

Not going to claim the technique on the Cleans was textbook, but horsed through them. I'd be interested to see what my 1 rep max might be on those.

Metcon

4X500m Row – rest to work ratio 1:2, 1:1.5, 1:1, all repeats should be at 100% effort

1:29.3
                                              ~1:52 the other 3

Sub 90 seconds. Have to be pleased with that tbh. Took Mellor's advice on board and just held it at 1:29 pace throughout. From reading around on row times that's a pretty solid time. Not going to win any competitions, but definitely ahead of the average.

Colm suggested it might be worth actually investing some time training it properly. I'm sure my form is crap and seconds could be shaved off there alone.
                                              Last edited by LuckyLloyd; 11-05-13, 00:39.

Comment

Vids are strangely helping me spot stuff in my own form.

You are jumping forward. This isnt good as it means the bar isnt travelling straight and your prob not keeping it close to your body.

Makes it a lot less efficient. I do the same thing and have been steadily working it out. trying to.
                                                Being honest, I'd love to actually train these properly. We end up doing them before a Push Jerk or as part of metcons. If I was ever just lifting to lift, I'd enjoy doing them as part of linear programming and working on them at heavyish weights. Really like them.

Comment

Your a trooper man
                                                  airport, lol

Comment

Workout 59, Saturday 11th 10:00am

Ugh, woke up at 10.01am. Threw my stuff on, walked down and Colm was kind enough to allow us to mobilise and do the metcon. No strength work though, I suck.

Warmup

20 minute walk up the hill to the gym
                                                    Wall Slides
                                                    Leg Swings
                                                    Stretching

Metcon

15 min cap:

9 Banded Pull Ups
                                                    18 Kettlebell Snatches 16kg
                                                    200m Row
                                                    7 Banded Pull Ups
                                                    14 Kettlebell Snatches
                                                    200m Row
                                                    5 Banded Pull Ups
                                                    10 Kettlebell Snatches
                                                    200m Row
                                                    Done in 10:30

Row times:

The seconds you spend moving from one exercise to another really add up.

At least some work was done but a bit of a disaster for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                      Your a trooper man
                                                      Cheers, but actual troopers in IPB can be found below:

Comment

Workout 60, Monday 13th 18:30pm

60 training sessions (plus one lifting session of my own)!

Warmup

Kneeling Muscle Ups
                                                        Wall Slides
                                                        Leg Swings
                                                        Stretching
                                                        Roll Overs

Skill

7X3 Hang Power Snatch – heaviest possible, rest 60 sec
                                                        Worked up as high as 37.5kgs. Still jumping forward and swinging the bar too far infront mainly because I'm bending my elbow when I start the pull as spotted by Will:

Metcon

10 min cap:

6 Deficit Push Up off 8 inch box (pair of 20kg Dumbells)
                                                        20 KB Snatches (10L, 10R) - 16kg
                                                        30 Situps
                                                        Got 10 snatches done in the third round. Deficit Push Ups are tough.
                                                        Last edited by LuckyLloyd; 14-05-13, 19:20.

Comment

You the lad in green llloyd jaysus your fading away well done.

Comment

Workout 61, Tuesday 14th 18:30pm

Warmup

Push Ups
                                                            Wall Slides
                                                            Leg Swings
                                                            Stretching
                                                            Roll Overs

Strength

5X2 Deadlift @ 80% – rest 60 sec (reset at floor)
                                                            5 @ 60kgs (touch and go)
                                                            3 @ 100kgs
                                                            3 @ 120kgs
                                                            5 x 2 @ 145kgs

Did the two sets after this mixed grip. Back set better than last week imo. Really thought about shoulders back after I had gripped the bar. While you can't actually retract the scaps as discussed last week, it seems to have a very positive effect - so cheers for that folks!

Banged those out in ~7 minutes, felt great. Strong like bull.

Metcon

15 min cap:

500m Row
                                                            5 Kneeling Muscle-ups
                                                            21 Kettlebell Swings 24kg
                                                            11 kettlebell swings short.

Row times:

1:44.0
                                                            1:46.6

Very happy with the consistency on the first two, and generally it wasn't bad. Aside from the flat out sub 90 second rows, I'd like to consistently get metcon rows down to the 1:42 range.

Comment

Workout 62, Wednesday 15th 18:30pm

Warmup

Pull Ups
                                                              Wall Slides
                                                              Leg Swings
                                                              Stretching
                                                              Roll Overs

Strength

7x1 3-Pos Power Clean + 1 Jerk – heaviest possible, rest 60 sec.

*Notes: Position #1 is the low-hang – approximately 2″ from the floor. Position #2 is the traditional hang (just above the knee), and position #3 is the hi-hang (mid-way down the thigh. All sets should be done without dropping the bar. The Jerk should be performed after the hi-hang Clean
                                                              This turned into a pure coaching / practice session. My effort from the hi - hang was a reverse curl, so Will spent a few minutes really breaking things down. The solution? Widen my grip out so that my little fingers are around the rings. Very positive difference.

1 Rep Max Power Clean and Jerk on Saturday morning. Going to try and move something halfway respectable. We'll see.

Metcon

15 min cap:

14 Dumbell Push Press, 20kg
                                                              15 HR Pushups
                                                              10 Dumbell Push Press, 20kg
                                                              15 HR Pushups
                                                              6 Dumbell Push Press, 20kg
                                                              15 HR Pushups
                                                              Done in 11:40.

Shoulders could use a break and next week's holiday is coming at a good time.

Comment

Cheers, but actual troopers in IPB can be found below:

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...ead.php?t=5359
                                                                You need to give yourself more credit man. You've probably done 3 times the amount of workouts I've done over the past few months and you're making great progress.

How are you finding taping the sessions? Learning lots?

I think someone has caught the lifting bug

Comment

Workout 63, Friday 17th 18:30pm

Warmup

Pull Ups
                                                                  Push Ups
                                                                  Wall Slides
                                                                  Leg Swings
                                                                  Stretching
                                                                  Roll Overs

Strength

3X10 Deadlifts @ 70% – rest exactly 2:30

*Notes: Deadlifts should be unbroken touch and go reps
                                                                  5 @ 60kgs
                                                                  5 @ 80kgs
                                                                  8 @ 100kgs
                                                                  10 @ 125kgs
                                                                  8 @ 125kgs
                                                                  8 @ 125kgs

Following the above set and conversation I tried the last two sets off the plates but just wasn't strong enough to finish them out. Will tried to talk us through the last one but I had to let the bar go on the way down for rep number 9. What can you say? Sets of 10 at 70% are tough; touch and go is tougher than dropping from the top and resetting; and I haven't done a whole lot of either up to now.

Do better next time.

Metcon

4X500m Row – rest 1:1 in between all, all repeats should be at 100% effort.
                                                                  Will stuck us on the airdyne bike instead to avoid me over working my lower back. So objective was changed to cycle 40 calories four times with the rest ratio:

1:36
                                                                  1:22
                                                                  1:38
                                                                  2:26

Dead at the end, no ability to produce power with the legs.

Tomorrow morning is going to require some serious manning up.

Comment

Workout 64, Saturday 18th 11:00am

Warmup

Foam Rolling
                                                                    Wall Slides
                                                                    Stretching

Strength

12 Minutes to Establish a heavy single Power Clean & Push Jerk
                                                                    Bar work
                                                                    1 @ 40kgs
                                                                    1 @ 50kgs
                                                                    1 @ 60kgs
                                                                    1 @ 65kgs (ugly)
                                                                    F @ 65kgs (missed the clean)
                                                                    1 @ 65kgs (much better)
                                                                    1 @ 70kgs
                                                                    1 @ 75kgs

I'm giving myself the 75kgs. If someone has a problem with that let me know.

F @ 80kgs

Small fucking heart. Allowed doubt to enter the mind. Weak.

1 x 20 Kettlebell/Dumbell Swing - heaviest possible (choose from 28kg KB, 32kg KB, 45kg Dumbell to chin height, 2x24kg Kettlebell to chin height or 2x32kg to chin height)
                                                                    Chose full kettlebell swings:

10 @ 24kgs
                                                                    5 @ 28kgs
                                                                    8 @ 32kgs (dropped it )
                                                                    8 @ 32kgs
                                                                    4 @ 32kgs

It's all work at the end of the day.

Metcon

20 Minute cap:

50 Dumbell Push Presses (15kg)
                                                                    25 Pull-ups
                                                                    50 Dumbbell Snatches (alternating) 20Kg
                                                                    Got through the Presses and Pull Ups and then saw through a few of the snatches. Pretty wiped at the end to be honest.

Comment

You need to give yourself more credit man. You've probably done 3 times the amount of workouts I've done over the past few months and you're making great progress.
                                                                      Cheers dude. 64 sessions in under four months. Have to be happy with that.

How are you finding taping the sessions? Learning lots?
                                                                      Definitely learning a lot. My Power Clean needs lots of work but - in general - I have to start pulling under weight better. You can see it on the Push Jerks today - I haven't learned the ability to punch and then pull under weight. That affects all Oly related movements.

And Deadlift is a struggle to get a better starting position.

Seeing all this really helps to supplant what the lads are teaching me. Hopefully it will help an improvement in form over the next few months.

I think someone has caught the lifting bug
                                                                      Absolutely. As we've discussed before, the barbell lifts are awesome and I really enjoy it. I find working to tight time caps a little irritating and would rather spend more time on simpler movements - but I can consider my options on that front early next year.

====================

So lads, I'm taking a week off. Going to Primavera next week and think my next session in Crossfit will be Tuesday week. I'm a little beat up and a break is probably a good idea. I think it's well earned tbh.

Comment

Cheers dude. 64 sessions in under four months. Have to be happy with that.

fair play to ya !

Comment

Workout 65, Tuesday 28th 19:30pm

Great week at Primavera. Reality sucks balls.

Warmup

Wall Walks
                                                                          Leg Swings
                                                                          Stretching
                                                                          Roll Overs

Strength

5X2 Deadlfit, 90 sec rest. Continue adding weight each set as long as quality stays high here
                                                                          5 @ 60kgs (touch and go)
                                                                          5 @ 100kgs
                                                                          3 @ 120kgs
                                                                          2 @ 130kgs
                                                                          2 @ 135kgs
                                                                          2 @ 140kgs
                                                                          2 @ 145kgs
                                                                          2 @ 150kgs

Last two sets the reps were slow. Sweated profusely. As Will said, the gym has additional gravity settings following a week off. Colm watched the last two and indicated that my form was much improved.

Metcon

18 min cap:

5 Rounds:

20 KB Snatches (10l/10r) @ 16Kg
                                                                          20 Calorie Row
                                                                          17:25

Need to focus more on shrugging up to finish any movement where the weight goes overhead. Protecting my shoulders is an issue.

Warmdown

Shoulder band stretches
                                                                          Scap Slides
                                                                          Shoulder dislocates

Comment

Workout 66, Wednesday 29th 18:30pm

Warmup

Foam Rolling
                                                                            Shoulder Band Stretches
                                                                            Scap Slides
                                                                            Scap rows
                                                                            Shoulder Dislocates
                                                                            Hanging leg raises
                                                                            Push Ups
                                                                            Leg Swings
                                                                            Stretching
                                                                            Roll Overs

Skill

Power Clean + Push Jerk variation
                                                                            This turned into 20 minute of discussion with the coaches, practice and drills of trying to get under the Power Clean better. Need hip flexibility and faster elbows.

Metcon

20 min cap:

Row 500m
                                                                            8 Strict Pull-ups

-then (no rest)-

40 Glute Bridges (I'll show you how to do these on Wednesday, good demo at 9:20 here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvCfGWlODKc)

-then (no rest)-

2 rounds of-

Row 500m
                                                                            8 Strict Pull-ups
                                                                            19:34

Tough!!

Row times:

1:43.5
                                                                            1:44.4
                                                                            1:43.9
                                                                            1:47.7

Consistent enough.

Warmdown

Shoulder band stretches
                                                                            Last edited by LuckyLloyd; 29-05-13, 19:59.

Comment

Workout 67, Friday 31st 18:30pm

Warmup

Shoulder Band Stretches
                                                                              Scap Slides
                                                                              Scap rows
                                                                              Shoulder Dislocates
                                                                              Pull Ups
                                                                              Push Ups
                                                                              Leg Swings
                                                                              Stretching

Mobility

Hip / Hamstring Band work
                                                                              Shoulder / Lats Band work

Strength

7X3 Banded Deadlifts @ 55% Bar Weight
                                                                              Had to be coaxed into using a purple band for these

5 @ 60kgs
                                                                              3 @ 95kgs
                                                                              7 x 3 @ 95kgs with purple band

Metcon

7 minute AMRAP of:

7 Hang Power Cleans @ 50kgs
                                                                              30 Kettlebell Swings, 16kg (deliberately light)

*Rest 2 minutes – then:

Row 1000m for time
                                                                              2 rounds done then 3:33.0 for the row. Cleans have got worse I think.

Row is 8.3 seconds quicker than when we did a 1k row for time back at the start of February (and it was done fresh then). Was a little gassed starting and probably went too slow for the first 900m and sprinted for home too late. Rowing in general has come along okay.

Comment

Workout 68, Saturday 1st 11:00am

Warmup

Bar work for the Clean and Jerk

Strength

10 Minutes to Establish a heavy single Power Clean & Push Jerk
                                                                                Bar work
                                                                                work @ 40kgs
                                                                                1 @ 60kgs
                                                                                1 @ 70kgs
                                                                                A whole bunch of shit up to 77.5kgs

Actually missed some Cleans then missed Jerks. Very bad.

10RM Top pull Deadlift. Take 2 attempts at this, first one should be very conservative, judge how much more you think you have in the tank and make the second one much less conservative
                                                                                5 @ 80kgs
                                                                                10 @ 100kgs
                                                                                10 @ 110kgs

Wasn't feeling it at this point so didn't push the load too far on this.

Metcon

18 Minute cap:

10 Pull Ups
                                                                                10 Dumbell Push Press, 15kg
                                                                                8 Pull Ups
                                                                                15 Dumbell Push Press, 15kg
                                                                                6 Pull Ups
                                                                                20 Dumbell Push Press, 15kg
                                                                                4 Pull Ups
                                                                                25 Dumbell Push Press, 15kg
                                                                                2 Pull Ups
                                                                                30 Dumbell Push Press, 15kg
                                                                                Got 15 Presses of the round of 25 done and packed it in with a minute or so left. Left Shoulder was screaming at me.

Poor elements to two workouts in a row unfortunately. Do better next time.

Comment

Workout 69, Tuesday 4th 18:30pm

Rehab

2 x 10 Glute Bridges
                                                                                  2 x 10 Goblet Squats @ 8kgs

Warmup

Foam Rolling
                                                                                  Shoulder Dislocates
                                                                                  Scap Rows
                                                                                  Scap Pushups
                                                                                  Leg Swings
                                                                                  Stretching
                                                                                  Roll Overs

Strength

5 x 5 Deadlifts @ 70%
                                                                                  5 @ 60kgs touch and go
                                                                                  5 @ 100kgs
                                                                                  5 x 5 @ 125kgs

I created this video with the YouTube Video Editor (http://www.youtube.com/editor)

These felt really heavy. Have no idea why tbh.

Metcon

19 Minute cap:

15 Kettlebell Swings, 28kg
                                                                                  15 Power Cleans 60Kg/40Kg
                                                                                  30 Air Squats
                                                                                  15 Push Jerks 60Kg/40Kg
                                                                                  Got to the Push Jerks with 12 minutes on the clock...got 7 Push Jerks done before time expired. Died a death. No energy.

Very heavy night on Saturday + bad night sleep + heat? I hope it's something like that anyway. Though one could argue that being unhappy with getting that far is kind of a good thing - I wouldn't have got near that much work done a few months ago...

Comment

Workout 70, Wednesday 5th 18:30pm

Rehab

Glute Bridges
                                                                                    Goblet Squats @ 8kgs

Warmup

Hanging knee up
                                                                                    Wall walks
                                                                                    Leg Swings
                                                                                    Stretching
                                                                                    Roll Overs

Strength

10X1 Hi-Hang Power Clean & Push Jerk – heaviest possible, rest 60 sec.
                                                                                    Some bar work
                                                                                    4 @ 40kgs

----

Shoulders were screaming at me after the Wall Walks. Didn't get down early enough to warm them up properly and it was too sore to continue. So had to ice them up and admit defeat. Will reckons I just jarred them, but plan is to avoid them for a few days and then spend next week doing rehab exercises. So fucking frustrating - just when the knees have started to heal up a bit.

Metcon

Dumped the rest of the metcon and just decided to do:

2 x 1k Row with 1 : 1 work to rest ratio
                                                                                    3:28.3 PB
                                                                                    3:23.2 PB

Something salvaged from the day then. Will reckons a sub 3:15 is there if I practiced the distance more.

Wish my stupid fucking body could hang together a bit better.

Comment

I think the only think that can sum this up. is Machine.

Comment

A machine that's falling apart at the seams.

Comment

Workout 71, Friday 7th 18:30pm

Shoulders still a bit sore but improved from the sharp pain of Wednesday so I ploughed on.

Rehab

2 x 10 Glute Bridges
                                                                                          2 x 10 Goblet Squats @ 12kgs

Warmup

Foam Rolling
                                                                                          Shoulder band stretches
                                                                                          Hamstring band stretches
                                                                                          5 x 5 Pull Ups
                                                                                          5 x 5 Push Ups
                                                                                          Leg Swings
                                                                                          Stretching
                                                                                          Roll Overs

Mobility

Deep femur and shoulder stretches. Painful, painful stuff tbh.

Strength

7X3 Banded Deadlifts @ 60%
                                                                                          2 @ 110kgs
                                                                                          7 x 3 @ 110kgs (banded)

Got it done with minimal rest between sets.

Metcon

4 x 500m Row, Rest 1:1
                                                                                          1:32.7
                                                                                          1:45.5
                                                                                          1:46.2

Bah. Never got up enough steam on the first one to PR. Rowed it the whole way at 1:32 - 1:33 per 500m. On the second I tried to hold 1:35 but had to stop and let it tick down to a dead stop before finishing out the last 70m, so just tried to keep it ~1:45 for the last two. Being able to do that is a minor positive tbh.

Today was a good session and I needed one, the past few have been poor in one way or another.

Comment

Workout 72, Saturday 8th 9:00am

Rehab

2 x 10 Glute Bridges
                                                                                            Supermans
                                                                                            External Shoulder Rotation exercises

Warmup

Shoulder Dislocates
                                                                                            Stretching
                                                                                            Overhead Squats with PVC Pipe

Skill

12 Minutes to Establish a 1RM Hang Power Snatch
                                                                                            Worked up to 35kgs. Just tried to work on form really

Strength

1X20 HBBS - light
                                                                                            20 x bar

Some discussion about form

8 x bar

Unfortunately had some slight knee pain on these.

Metcon

20 minute cap:

4 rounds for time of:

5 Pullups
                                                                                            250m Row
                                                                                            4 Deadlifts 100Kg
                                                                                            250m Row
                                                                                            18:25

Happy to get it all done. 20 Pull Ups / 16 Deadlifts @ 100kgs / 2k rowed in ~18 minutes. It's hard sometimes to see the wood from the trees but the reality is that I wouldn't have gotten near that a few months ago

Comment

Workout 73, Monday 10th 19:30pm

Rehab

2 x 10 Glute Bridges
                                                                                              Supermans

Warmup

Kneeling Muscle Ups
                                                                                              Leg Swings
                                                                                              Stretching
                                                                                              Roll Overs

Strength

3x10 Snatch Grip Romainian Deadlift - take from rack, rest 90 sec (this won't be madly heavy, primarily limited by grip strength)
                                                                                              Bit of an unknown here, misjudged the weight and couldn't finish the second two worksets due to grip issues:

5 @ bar
                                                                                              5 @ 40kgs
                                                                                              5 @ 60kgs
                                                                                              10, 7, 7 @ 80kgs

Metcon

12 Minute AMRAP:

15 Kettlebell Swings @ 28kg
                                                                                              5 Air Squats
                                                                                              Row 200m
                                                                                              Aimed to get 4 rounds done. Got 4 rounds done plus an extra 100m on the rower before time expired for the craic.

Not the heaviest session, but good to get the week off and running.
                                                                                              Last edited by LuckyLloyd; 10-06-13, 20:51.

Comment

Workout 74, Tuesday 11th 18:30pm

Not much sleep last night and stressful day in work. Not ideal preparation.

Rehab

2 x 10 Glute Bridges
                                                                                                Supermans
                                                                                                External Rotation Shoulder exercises
                                                                                                Shoulder band stretches

Warmup

Foam Rolling
                                                                                                Hanging Knee Ups
                                                                                                Dumbell Push Ups
                                                                                                Leg Swings
                                                                                                Stretching

Strength

So Will reckons:

This week I'm gonna see if we can get you working on clean high-pulls in place of Olympic lifting. Couple of reasons: 1) you'll benefit technically from the work on pulling the elbow high 2) they'll let you keep training an explosive hip-opening movement without dealing with landing impact 3) everybody loves big traps
                                                                                                which meant

Clean High-Pull, 5 x 3 - work up to a challenging weight
                                                                                                Another unknown here. Went

2 x 3 @ 40kgs
                                                                                                3 @ 50kgs
                                                                                                3 @ 60kgs
                                                                                                3 @ 70kgs
                                                                                                Bunch of reps @ 80kgs

Form not good here tbh. Need to pull back onto the heels better, but really this is all about the fact that my clean in general sucks at present.

Also, not losing the stomach successfully which is beginning to annoy me somewhat.

Metcon

25 Minute Cap:

3 rounds for time of:

Row 1000m
                                                                                                25 Ring Rows
                                                                                                Just about got this done inside the cap. It was awful. Heavy high pulls + rowing + 75 ring rows all add up! Killer back workout I guess.

One thing I'd be critical of CFI for is that it is absolutely no craic being a straggler on a longer metcon. I think everyone was done around 22 mins (they had 800m runs + 25 Burpees) so when I was dying trying to get the last set of ring rows out I was very much on my tobler with everyone else in the gym (including the coaches) laughing and joking, etc. Colm even turned off the clock with ~90 seconds left when I still had 6 rows left.

I don't know, just mildly irritating when set against the self claimed ethos the place tries to stuff down your throat at every opportunity. You're ultimately on your own of course, but I suppose a word or two of encouragement from a coach when the sweat is pumping out of you trying to get a 25 minute metcon finished would be nice.
                                                                                                Last edited by LuckyLloyd; 11-06-13, 19:56.

Comment

apologies if i derail but i am just looking for some advice.
                                                                                                  hit the gym for the first tiume on friday and over done it on the weights so was sore the weekend but now my right arm has become extremely swollen and locked itself at a 45degree angle and will not move and if anything its getting bigger by the hour. is this something that will just go away or should i be doing something besides the usual elevating and ice pack routine.??

any advice will be much appreciated
                                                                                                  Last edited by hurting; 11-06-13, 20:41.

Comment

Originally posted by hurting View Post
                                                                                                    apologies if i derail but i am just looking for some advice.
                                                                                                    hit the gym for the first tiume on friday and over done it on the weights so was sore the weekend but now my right arm has become extremely swollen and locked itself at a 45degree angle and will not move and if anything its getting bigger by the hour. is this something that will just go away or should i be doing something besides the usual elevating and ice pack routine.??

any advice will be much appreciated
                                                                                                    Sounds like a trip to A & E is called for imo, good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd
                                                                                                      One thing I'd be critical of CFI for is that it is absolutely no craic being a straggler on a longer metcon. I think everyone was done around 22 mins (they had 800m runs + 25 Burpees) so when I was dying trying to get the last set of ring rows out I was very much on my tobler with everyone else in the gym (including the coaches) laughing and joking, etc. Colm even turned off the clock with ~90 seconds left when I still had 6 rows left.

I don't know, just mildly irritating when set against the self claimed ethos the place tries to stuff down your throat at every opportunity. You're ultimately on your own of course, but I suppose a word or two of encouragement from a coach when the sweat is pumping out of you trying to get a 25 minute metcon finished would be nice.

More than mildly irritating in my book. Turning off the fucking clock deserves a smack in the head.
                                                                                                      ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Workout 75, Wednesday 12th 18:30pm

Rehab

2 x 10 Goblet Squats @ 12kgs
                                                                                                        Glute Bridges
                                                                                                        Supermans
                                                                                                        External Rotation Shoulder exercises

Warmup

Foam Rolling
                                                                                                        Hanging Knee Ups
                                                                                                        Leg Swings
                                                                                                        Stretching

Strength

12min to establish a 3RM Overhead Press
                                                                                                        3 @ bar
                                                                                                        3 @ 40kgs
                                                                                                        3 @ 50kgs
                                                                                                        3 @ 55kgs
                                                                                                        3 @ 60kgs
                                                                                                        2.5 @ 62.5kgs (got stuck halfway on the third rep and gave up)

rested the guts of three minutes

3 @ 65kgs

That's how you grind a fucking rep out!

Metcon

15 Minute Cap:

3 rounds for time of:

5 Kneeling Muscle-Ups
                                                                                                        20 Kettlebell Snatches @ 16kgs
                                                                                                        30 Situps
                                                                                                        Last rep in just as time expired. Happy to finish.

Comment

OHP from a dead rest on the collarbone. Beastmode

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                                            OHP from a dead rest on the collarbone. Beastmode
                                                                                                            Am I doing it wrong?

Comment

Hey Lloyd, I've followed the log since the beginning and it's great to see how much you've been getting from it. Just out of curiosity, before you started did you set any weight loss/bodyfat goals over a specific time period and if so how are you doing in terms of that?

Comment

Am I doing it wrong?
                                                                                                                nope, nailed it. Sometimes people use their body to lift it the first bit and get some momentum, almost shrugging it into the air.

I tend to prefer to do it seated, but new gym doesn't have a seated rack for it.

Some grind!

Comment

Originally posted by brady23 View Post
                                                                                                                  Hey Lloyd, I've followed the log since the beginning and it's great to see how much you've been getting from it. Just out of curiosity, before you started did you set any weight loss/bodyfat goals over a specific time period and if so how are you doing in terms of that?
                                                                                                                  Nope mate, haven't looked at a scale; didn't take before pictures; haven't had bf% checked!!

I have made some physical progress: some people have commented that I look better, but just going to focus on training regularly and eating better for a while yet. Look, I still have a huge unseemly stomach as recent videos attest but I'm much fitter, stronger and flexible and the stomach was worse. Onward ho for now at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                                                    nope, nailed it. Sometimes people use their body to lift it the first bit and get some momentum, almost shrugging it into the air.

I tend to prefer to do it seated, but new gym doesn't have a seated rack for it.

Some grind!
                                                                                                                    1rep max push press next week so I'll get my shrug on for that!!

And yeah on the grind - decided she was going up!!

Comment

Am I doing it wrong?
                                                                                                                      Not at all. The way you did it was the stricter, tougher way.
                                                                                                                      There's the push press element that Emmet mentioned, but I was talking about the stretch reflex. A lot of the time people (me included) not pause between reps and use the stretch from your muscles tendons to press more. In your reps you pause.

It's like the difference between touch n go and reset deadlifts. Or paused benching etc.

I'll be looking out for your 1RM push press.

Comment

Total commitment! You were either passing out or getting it eh?

Love the woooo at the end. Great form too.

Comment

Workout 76, Friday 14th 18:30pm

Late getting to the gym, blah traffic and rain imo.

Warmup

Scap Rows
                                                                                                                          Scap Push Ups
                                                                                                                          Leg Swings
                                                                                                                          Stretching

Strength

Deadlift - 5x3 at a medium weight (around 75%). Focus on maximum bar speed on the way up.
                                                                                                                          5 @ 60kgs
                                                                                                                          3 @ 100kgs
                                                                                                                          2 @ 130kgs
                                                                                                                          5 x 3 @ 135kgs

I think these are looking better, bar speed very good too I thought. Any comments welcome.

Metcon

20 Minute Cap:

4 rounds for time of:

Row 500m
                                                                                                                          12 DB Handle Pushups
                                                                                                                          12 Pullups
                                                                                                                          Got 6 Pull Ups in the third round done. Pull Ups in metcons are a huge weakness, really suck up time. I can get sets of five out well when they are programmed in warm ups, but my ability when fatigued is terrible.
                                                                                                                          Last edited by LuckyLloyd; 15-06-13, 09:58.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X