Irish Poker Boards
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Community & Games

Old 07-01-17, 09:26   #21
BennyHiFi

Still waiting to pop my park run cherry.

Got as far as registering and printing out the barcodes but it's prime hang time with my kid while his mammy gets a well deserved lie.

Tymon Park is only 10 mins away so i'll get there eventually.

You'd really want to be in love with running 5Km though to drive all over the country just to run for 20 or 25 mins in my opinion.

At the beginning i'd drive for maybe an hour to get to a 10km but soon got fed up with the run-to-drive ratio and now would only jump in the car to drive more than 10 or 15 mins for a half marathon.
BennyHiFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-17, 10:37   #22
Lazare
GFML

Boo urns, had to stop to tie a lace, was going well too. Don't think I'd have gotten a pb anyway, was 35 secs slower than it.

Totally misjudged the temperature too, wore a long sleeve compression top under another long sleeve top, and gloves ffs, had to whip it off at the start of the second lap. Felt more like April out there.

Great turnout at Griffeen, all the resolutions.
Old 07-01-17, 12:07   #23
ionapaul

Yeah, crazily mild today. There looked to be more than 600 runners at Marlay Park! Was absolute bedlam compared to the smaller field parkruns I'm more used to; loads of people starting out at the front of the field who maybe should've considered starting a bit further back, so it was very difficult to overtake. That being said, it is a run not a race so people can start wherever they like!
ionapaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-17, 12:20   #24
Lazare
GFML

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionapaul View Post
Yeah, crazily mild today. There looked to be more than 600 runners at Marlay Park! Was absolute bedlam compared to the smaller field parkruns I'm more used to; loads of people starting out at the front of the field who maybe should've considered starting a bit further back, so it was very difficult to overtake. That being said, it is a run not a race so people can start wherever they like!
That sounds bonkers. How did you find the course in general? Read on boards there that there's a decent uphill at the start.
Old 07-01-17, 12:45   #25
ionapaul

Ah, not much of a hill in fairness, you feel a slight gradient but nothing like the uphills at Cabinteely or down in Knocknacarra in Galway city!
Thanks From:
Old 08-01-17, 13:17   #26
Lazare
GFML

Ah yeah, just finished a magnificent run in the Phoenix Park, my first time running there. Parked at the Garda HQ and ran a clockwise loop. My farthest run to date, set out to do 11k and as if by magic it was 11.2k back to my car. Running the trails all along the outskirt from the Castleknock gate to the Zoo was pure endorphin.

Jesus it's good to be alive.
Old 08-01-17, 13:19   #27
Lazare
GFML

Shoes need a good scrub too
Old 09-01-17, 19:47   #28
BennyHiFi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazare View Post
Ah yeah, just finished a magnificent run in the Phoenix Park, my first time running there. Parked at the Garda HQ and ran a clockwise loop. My farthest run to date, set out to do 11k and as if by magic it was 11.2k back to my car. Running the trails all along the outskirt from the Castleknock gate to the Zoo was pure endorphin.

Jesus it's good to be alive.
Have you done any marathon training plan research yet?

Any thoughts on your timeline?

October is a long way away and if you are doing 10Km plus now you could easily do a half marathon during Spring.
Old 09-01-17, 23:15   #29
Mellor

Just noticed this thread, sat down last night to plan out my hole years training rather than just adjusting on the fly. I've completed that I need more slow steady cardio, especially sooner rather than later. So running (which I don't really like tbh) is my poison of choice.

No idea what sort of goals to set. I won't be covering a 1000km or anything like it, as main goals will be BJJ related. But feel like I should to stick something down to aim at;
  • Sub 20min 5k: Seems to be a decent benchmark to aim for. I don't think I ran more than 3k last year. 5k should be doable.
  • Complete at least one proper timed race

35 Betfair bonus
Mellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 10-01-17, 12:48   #30
Lazare
GFML

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyHiFi View Post
Have you done any marathon training plan research yet?

Any thoughts on your timeline?

October is a long way away and if you are doing 10Km plus now you could easily do a half marathon during Spring.
I've done a little bit of loose reading on training plans, RW etc, Higdon seems to be a popular one. I don't feel too much in a rush yet to decide on one.

I'm concentrating at the moment on pace, understanding it, finding my own, really excited about collecting my new watch later in the week for that reason. So, at the moment I've no idea about a timeline, sub 4 should be comfortable, it's whether I can do a 3:30 or not that I'm curious about, I'll know better in a couple of weeks.

Prob not a bad idea to do a half in the spring as I'm actually fearing that more than the marathon. Plan is to do the series. I'm fearing finishing it and thinking how could I possibly do double this distance, and then having to do it so soon after. Maybe a spring one is the answer.

Cheers bro
Old 10-01-17, 14:44   #31
DeadParrot
Grand High Wizard

Do you figure out a route first or just go until you puke?
I've been putting it off for years.
Quote:
If one runs with no definitive purpose in mind, ones mind is devoid of definitive purpose
This was my internal mantra for years, something that on the surface seems kinda intelligent put is really fucking stupid. Something I'd proclaim from the comfort of the bar stool.
I live beside the liffey, beside the phoenix park and there's even a harriers running track beside me.
I just mentally struggle with the idea of boredom when running, I feel like I'd have to trick myself to do it.
I think maybe if I plot a route beforehand it would help as I know where I'm going and at what point to turn back.
get 20 towards accessories or discount one your phone on @ oneplus.net. We all win
DeadParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-17, 15:23   #32
dobby

DP, is there a "loop" you can do? I do one in Killarney, it's 6.1km, mostly flat but takes in a decent sized hill around the 5k mark. I used to do one in the park where I go for about 2.5k and turn back, always found my times struggling. Turning back was like a mental block. But with the loop I start and finish at my house so it's behind me for the start but I have the reward of seeing it when I'm struggling for the last 500m or so.

I realise all that could be complete bollox but it helps. Just need to find what works for you.
dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-17, 15:34   #33
ionapaul

Would you run with headphones? I either listen to music or podcasts, which helps to fight boredom. I don't enjoy running enough to do it without the distraction, so for me a good playlist helps me aim for faster times and a few interesting podcasts help with the slower runs.

I think the really speedy guys are happy without headphones or other distractions, as it allows them to concentrate on breathing, gait, etc... but I'm pretty sure most of us aren't hampered too much by enjoying the fruits of modern living

Lazare, I was a bit inspired by your purchase (I never thought about it before, usually track my runs on my phone) and have picked up a 2nd hand Garmin Forerunner 220 from Adverts. I strained my calf on Saturday so am unable to take it out for a test run but will hopefully get one or two in next week, should be fun to check out the data!
Old 10-01-17, 15:57   #34
Strewelpeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadParrot View Post

I think maybe if I plot a route beforehand it would help as I know where I'm going and at what point to turn back.
Couch to 5K to start with and using an app will usually tell you when you are halfway so you can turn around.

When I'm walking or running the trick is to go as far as I think I'm able to and then to turn around and head back.
Loops are great, you are always estimating how far and if I turn left here how much more or less will it be.

Boredom isn't an issue the running allows a sort of meditative in the moment vibe to happen. Don't like podcasts when running its music or nothing for me.
Old 10-01-17, 17:42   #35
FeetMagic

Quote:

This was my internal mantra for years, something that on the surface seems kinda intelligent put is really fucking stupid. Something I'd proclaim from the comfort of the bar stool.
I live beside the liffey, beside the phoenix park and there's even a harriers running track beside me.
I just mentally struggle with the idea of boredom when running, I feel like I'd have to trick myself to do it.
Different for everyone but I usually find long distance running gets pretty meditative which can be cool. Shorter distances, I don't listen to anything either but don't get that same peace of mind; generally just visualising finishing throughout short runs
FeetMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 10-01-17, 19:25   #36
BennyHiFi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strewelpeter View Post
Boredom isn't an issue the running allows a sort of meditative in the moment vibe to happen. Don't like podcasts when running its music or nothing for me.
Nothing for me these days. Lost my phone on holiday a couple of years ago and had to run without it and never went back to music.

I just let my jumble of thoughts/inner monologue work itself out while observing and internally processing what is around me and i find this plenty sufficient to keep me occupied and order and calm my mind over an hour.

It can be very meditative if you get through the early 'pain' of trying to go far enough to get your endorphins flowing - the regulation of breathing, the repetitive motion, being in the now, the hyper awareness of your body.

But until you get to that stage having micro goals (like in the couch to 5K) should see you progress enough to see if it's for you and music will probably help a lot too.
2 Thanks From:
Old 10-01-17, 21:46   #37
oleras
i won that tag fair and square in roulette !

I completed the C25K Xmas last year (2015), stayed going to the gym, did it on the treadmill, till the end of Jan, just coincided with my annual NCT and never went back.

TBH I hardly exercised at all last year, one holiday away rolled into a weekend away into a holiday away, im not complaining but my health certainly is, eating and drinking way too much along with zero proper exercise and a massive xmas blowout contributed to the 18st 3 3/4 i tipped the scales at new years day.

Haven't boozed since new years day and without doing anything 7lbs comes off, water weight, thats the easy bit.

I started walking last week also, getting the legs used to 30 mins at a time.

Bit the bullet today and got back on the C25K horse.

Skipped week 1, cos im semi-pro at this stage...

Week 2, day 1. 90sec & 120sec x 6. Ankles found it the worst and the outside lower calves were tender, breathing on part 5 and 6 was also difficult.

Doing it on footpaths this time so much harder than the treadmill i found.

Dragging 4 stone that i need to lose around isnt easy but it will get easier, this might keep me honest.

Onwards and upwards.
Old 10-01-17, 22:26   #38
Lazare
GFML

Good man Ole, that's great to hear. Keep it up man, you know yourself it gets easier.
Old 10-01-17, 23:19   #39
Mellor

Quote:
This is definitely the case for me. If I paln out a 5km route, I'll most likely run that route. If I just run aimlessly, I'll probably start veering towards home early and end up with 3km.

As for headphones or not. I get pretty bored so I find that podcasts are a great distraction. If you are concerned with time and pace, I'd definitely consider using Strava on the phone. Handy app that tracks your route, pace, time via GPS. Gives you realtime audio updates every kilometre.

35 Betfair bonus
Mellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-17, 19:08   #40
Lazare
GFML

Added another 10% to the long run today, ran 12k. Right calf is pretty sore though, I felt a niggle after last week's parkrun but it went away, back with a bang now. Was weird, I could run no problem on it but as soon as I stopped I couldn't really walk on it. I'll use the roller on it and see how I get on.

Ran with my new Garmin for the first time yesterday, awesome piece of kit, was so handy today trying to stick to a pace. Also downloaded Strava and ran with that today, looks like a really exciting app. Any of you guys use it?

There are a few segments near the house that I'm looking forward to having a crack at.

Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Community & Games