Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ABS for the title now please.

Comment

I used to be a big fan of Selby up until he won a World Championship.

The way he conducts himself now is against the spirit of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by angle_grinder View Post
        I used to be a big fan of Selby up until he won a World Championship.

The way he conducts himself now is against the spirit of the game.
        What?

Comment

Taking far too long over straight forward shots/decisions just to try put opponents off their game.

Peter Ebdon was accused of the same thing but Selby is a far bigger culprit.

Have you not noticed?

Comment

He definitely seems to rub a lot of people up the wrong way, I don't particularly get it tbh. He's very deliberate and methodical yes, but don't think it's with a view to put the other player off.
            Profit before people.

Comment

Taking far too long over straight forward shots/decisions just to try put opponents off their game.

Peter Ebdon was accused of the same thing but Selby is a far bigger culprit.

Have you not noticed?
              We must be watching different players. Selby is the best tactical player in the game, and knows his way around the angles better than anyway. He pulls out shots that other players don't see, and is always thinking many shots ahead, but where are you seeing theses straight forward shots that he's taking an age over, to try and put players off? He's been Number One for 2 years and the reigning World Champion. He doesn't have to try and put any other players off to win in the game.

He's not everyone's cup of tea with the way he plays, and a first to 18 between him and Higgins is defo one for the snooker purists. Selby has probably the 2 best breaks of the tournament and i'm sure there will be plenty more to come in the final and i'm looking forward to it anyway because i think he's a class act around the table and don't buy into all the negative hate he gets from the Ronnie lovers.

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                We must be watching different players. Selby is the best tactical player in the game, and knows his way around the angles better than anyway. He pulls out shots that other players don't see, and is always thinking many shots ahead, but where are you seeing theses straight forward shots that he's taking an age over, to try and put players off? He's been Number One for 2 years and the reigning World Champion. He doesn't have to try and put any other players off to win in the game.

He's not everyone's cup of tea with the way he plays, and a first to 18 between him and Higgins is defo one for the snooker purists. Selby has probably the 2 best breaks of the tournament and i'm sure there will be plenty more to come in the final and i'm looking forward to it anyway because i think he's a class act around the table and don't buy into all the negative hate he gets from the Ronnie lovers.
                It's usually in frames directly after his opponent has made a good frame winning break.

Comment

Selby is the anti christ of snooker. Every time he plays on TV snooker loses more and more viewers. The worst possible world champion for growing the game.

Comment

And Higgins is a cheating scumbag.

Comment

Scenes at the snooker lol

Comment

Scenes at the snooker lol
                        What happened?? I poped out for a minute and came back to see both players laughing with the ref replacing the brown.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooch View Post
                          What happened?? I poped out for a minute and came back to see both players laughing with the ref replacing the brown.
                          Higgins fouled and a miss 3 times in a row, going in off the brown each time. Players having a couple of words a little chuckle between themselves too.

Comment

Some class shots in those 10 'Shot of Championship' shots

Comment

Bit of controversy. Think it would have been more controversial if Jan overruled himself. I think he hit the black myself though.

Comment

Bit of controversy. Think it would have been more controversial if Jan overruled himself. I think he hit the black myself though.
                                I thought he missed. Tough call though.

Comment

Originally posted by careca View Post
                                  I thought he missed. Tough call though.
                                  Jan earning his money tonight with that green call! Some great angle shoot opportunities there if you were in all sorts of trouble.

Comment

Selby tries to get Jan to call a miss. That after trying to tell him he hit the Black.

I thought Selby pushed a Blue with the rest at a crucial stage of the Ding match as well.

Comment

Selby tries to get Jan to call a miss.
                                      Eh, both players had assumed it was a miss, Selby asked for it to be replaced and then the ref pointed out it wasn't a miss. No stick to beat Selby with there.

Comment

You might be right in that both players assumed it was miss. Yan pointed out it wasn't a miss.

Then he had to point it out again to Selby.

Then he had to point it out a third time to Selby.

He certainly showed he can put the pressure on referee's as well as opponets.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                          Eh, both players had assumed it was a miss, Selby asked for it to be replaced and then the ref pointed out it wasn't a miss. No stick to beat Selby with there.
                                          It's just the Selby hate blinding the Ronnie lovers.

How can this call be right or wrong tbh. Selby thinks it hit, Jan thought it didn't. You could watch it 20 times and still not make your mind up. I think it hits because it looks to rock, but that could easily be the lighting

Brief analysis of Mark Selby's Missed Black against John Higgins in the World Snooker Championships Final 2017.Original Footage courtesy of the BBC.

As for the green, i'm sure it's not a miss, but caught up in the action after a foul, then i probably would have looked for it to replaced too.

There's a famous shot from Ronnie v Higgins years ago where Ronnie makes a technical foul while going for a colour, and no miss is called so the choice is for Ronnie or Higgins to play a red. The miss rule changed after this, but it was a tough call for Jan

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Although, the shot here at 1:02 from Trump where he miscues and hits the blue is called a miss by Jan. Is it a miss? Is it just a foul? If you had 2 misses at a clear red, and you miscued on the 3rd attempt, should it be called a miss and you lose the frame?
                                          The miss rule is an abomination tbh.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Higgins shot on the Green wasn't call a miss because he actually hit the object ball

If you don't hit an object ball it will be called a miss whether it is a miscue or not.

The Ronnie/Higgins incident was an anomaly in the rules at the time from what I can see.

Comment

Quite like the look of the 2/1 USA in this weeks Mosconi Cup, not withstanding that Europe have won the last 5 editions by 11-3 or suchlike.

For whatever reasons Europe have made 4 changes to last years team and line up as Jason Shaw, Ralf Souquet, Nick Van Der Berg, David Alcaide and Joshua Filler (debutant). Looks a lot weaker than last year when there was Nils Feijen and Albin Ouschan. Alcaide and NVdB are ropey, Souquet veers from solid to shakey, Shaw is a brilliant nutcase, know nothing about Filler.

USA (now 'managed' by the Dutch lad who was Europe captain for 10 years) are Shane Van Boening, Skyler Woodward, Dennis Hatch, Oscar Dominguez and Billy Thorpe (debutant). For balance has to said Hatch and Dominguez have been consistently terrible in this event, SvB too but surely he's too good not to get it right eventually.

I think Europe will win, but with home venue, the strange captain thing and the weaker Europe team its probably more of a 4/6 6/4 match up imo.

Comment

Speaking of backable outsiders I've put a bit on Dott here at 4's hoping Judd shows his usual big tournament jitters that's plagued him last few years.
                                                Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                  Quite like the look of the 2/1 USA in this weeks Mosconi Cup, not withstanding that Europe have won the last 5 editions by 11-3 or suchlike.

For whatever reasons Europe have made 4 changes to last years team and line up as Jason Shaw, Ralf Souquet, Nick Van Der Berg, David Alcaide and Joshua Filler (debutant). Looks a lot weaker than last year when there was Nils Feijen and Albin Ouschan. Alcaide and NVdB are ropey, Souquet veers from solid to shakey, Shaw is a brilliant nutcase, know nothing about Filler.

USA (now 'managed' by the Dutch lad who was Europe captain for 10 years) are Shane Van Boening, Skyler Woodward, Dennis Hatch, Oscar Dominguez and Billy Thorpe (debutant). For balance has to said Hatch and Dominguez have been consistently terrible in this event, SvB too but surely he's too good not to get it right eventually.

I think Europe will win, but with home venue, the strange captain thing and the weaker Europe team its probably more of a 4/6 6/4 match up imo.
                                                  They changed up the qualifying system a bit, Darren Appleton is promoting his own ‘World pool series’ in New York so the likes of him, Melling,Boyes haven’t played enough qualifying events

Comment

Masters, UK Champs, World's, Head to Heads v Finkle, the bigger the occasion, the greater the lay Trump becomes
                                                    Profit before people.

Comment

I would recommend a hefty wager on Christopher Keogan at scratch to beat Nigel Bond in the German qualifiers today 2.30pm (best of 9).
                                                      He's coming to the boil, beat Nigel 4-0 most recently and starting to score heavy. Nigel seems to be going the other direction recently.

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post
                                                        I would recommend a hefty wager on Christopher Keogan at scratch to beat Nigel Bond in the German qualifiers today 2.30pm (best of 9).
                                                        He's coming to the boil, beat Nigel 4-0 most recently and starting to score heavy. Nigel seems to be going the other direction recently.
                                                        This will sound like aftertiming but I’m only seeing this now. Keogan is by a distance the worst professional I’ve ever seen. How this fella is on the tour is amazing.

Comment

He was 2-0 up!. Bond isn't getting breaks but boa constricted him was enough. You could be right.

Comment

Ronnie on a different planet at the moment currently 4 - 0 against Fu with 3 centuries. All in under an hour. Davis and Hendry saying hes unplayable like this and the greatest the sport has ever seen. Truly enjoyable to watch.

Comment

Ronnie on a different planet at the moment currently 4 - 0 against Fu with 3 centuries. All in under an hour. Davis and Hendry saying hes unplayable like this and the greatest the sport has ever seen. Truly enjoyable to watch.
                                                              When he's in this mood it's light out for all

Comment

Originally posted by TM2204 View Post
                                                                When he's in this mood it's light out for all
                                                                Won 6 - 0 in 82 minutes.
                                                                His interviews are also a joy and as you said depending on his mood, today he stated that hes not feeling well and dizzy to which Davis said wish i got sick like you and he reckons that he needs more magnesium in his diet.

Comment

O Sullivan beaten 6 - 1 by Allen.
                                                                  Ronnie looked like a man that didnt want to be there.
                                                                  But still not trying to take away from Marks play he was very good.

Comment

O Sullivan beaten 6 - 1 by Allen.
                                                                    Ronnie looked like a man that didnt want to be there.
                                                                    But still not trying to take away from Marks play he was very good.
                                                                    "From my perspective I can rest up now and get ready for my next event. I had to show up, if I was a football player I would have missed this game.

"I'm struggling, I don't know if it's a virus, I've had it before and it's very difficult, I gave it a go."

From the man himself

Comment

Murphy should be fav against Trump today imo. Murphy's got to the final of all the big money events this season such as Uk Champs, China Champs and Champion of Champions, so he's raising his game for the big occasions. Trump continues to struggle badly in the bigger ones in recent years.
                                                                      Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                                        Murphy should be fav against Trump today imo. Murphy's got to the final of all the big money events this season such as Uk Champs, China Champs and Champion of Champions, so he's raising his game for the big occasions. Trump continues to struggle badly in the bigger ones in recent years.
                                                                        Murphy is the perfect opponent for Trump these days though, Trump doesn’t look happy at all in slow cagey games he just wants to have a bang. Murphy is far too attacking sometimes, normally I’d be all for taking trump on but I think he will smash Murphy

Comment

Really like the blue ball Shoot out in the event of a tie game at the Snooker shoot out. Such a fun tournament although I wouldnt like to see one every week.

Comment

Really like the blue ball Shoot out in the event of a tie game at the Snooker shoot out. Such a fun tournament although I wouldnt like to see one every week.
                                                                            I think it's an abomination of a yoke. It tries to make snooker everything it isn't and shouldn't be.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                              I think it's an abomination of a yoke. It tries to make snooker everything it isn't and shouldn't be.
                                                                              I do see your point and thats why I did say that I wouldnt like to see one every week.
                                                                              The tournament is aimed at increasing viewership numbers and tries to preceive the game in a different light.
                                                                              Surely you could agree that a shoot clock needs to be introduced in more tournament even if its only 60 seconds.

Comment

I do see your point and thats why I did say that I wouldnt like to see one every week.
                                                                                The tournament is aimed at increasing viewership numbers and tries to preceive the game in a different light.
                                                                                Surely you could agree that a shoot clock needs to be introduced in more tournament even if its only 60 seconds.
                                                                                I've never seen the need tbh. If someone is taking over a minute to take a shot, chances are that they are in a horrible spot whether its Ronnie or Ebdon and I like to see the best players engineer a way out of tough spots no matter how long it takes. Having a punt because you're about to run out of time seems horrible to me.

Obviously it can be soul crushing watching two poor enough players with average shot times above 25 seconds but it doesn't come up often enough to detract from my enjoyment of the game.

Like if people don't like snooker the way it is, then they're wrong and should stick to darts

Comment

Not my cup of tea either, but the harsh reality is that Snooker is dying a slow death and needs to re-invent itself. Seen a stat over on the other place recently about the average age of the Top 16 now and what it was 10 years ago and 20 years ago and it is on a steady increase, there are not enough good young players coming through.

Comment

Haha.... I posted that over there!

It's struggling for talent but it's probably at its most popular since the 80s since Barry Hearn took over and Eurosport have got behind it. The old guard will carry it for another 5 years and hopefully by then the likes of Wilson and Brecel will have bedded in a little more.

Comment

Originally posted by premierstone View Post
                                                                                      Not my cup of tea either, but the harsh reality is that Snooker is dying a slow death and needs to re-invent itself. Seen a stat over on the other place recently about the average age of the Top 16 now and what it was 10 years ago and 20 years ago and it is on a steady increase, there are not enough good young players coming through.
                                                                                      Snooker is dying a slow death? It’s growing exponentially every year, there has never been as much money in it, and now a secondary challenge tour for players who miss out on tour cards which will solve the problem for lads coming through. Snooker has never been ina better position

Also the shootout is a blast. Enjoy it for what is is, excellent viewing

Comment

Does Mark Williams have the stamina for a World Championship deep run do people reckon? Having an awesome season, his price looks hefty.
                                                                                        Profit before people.

Comment

Does Mark Williams have the stamina for a World Championship deep run do people reckon? Having an awesome season, his price looks hefty.
                                                                                          Confidence is high, he’s putting in the work again. Seems to be crediting the revival to Sight Right (lol) but it’s clearly a confidence thing.

Defo has a chance this year

Comment

Yeah he was outrageously good for about 5 years and then seemed to stop giving a toss.

But killing it this year again. Won semi final in Germany recently 6-1 and the final 9-1. That's seriously dominant in an elite field.
                                                                                            Profit before people.

Comment

He has the ability but not the stamina. Same applies to Higgins. Ronnie will need to steamroll everyone and can't afford to get bogged down in any games. Selby looks to be running on empty. Trump hasn't the concentration for the format and you never know what Ding will turn up.

A back to form Robertson looks like the best bet. Wenbo would be a good outsider to be with too but it looks like he will have to qualify.

Comment

Originally posted by Kim Huybrechts View Post
                                                                                                Snooker is dying a slow death? It’s growing exponentially every year, there has never been as much money in it, and now a secondary challenge tour for players who miss out on tour cards which will solve the problem for lads coming through. Snooker has never been ina better position

Also the shootout is a blast. Enjoy it for what is is, excellent viewing
                                                                                                Sorry meant 'was' as in before Hearns arrival, I know he is not a very likeable person but he has done a lot of good for Snooker, as he has for darts.

Comment

Originally posted by premierstone View Post
                                                                                                  Sorry meant 'was' as in before Hearns arrival, I know he is not a very likeable person but he has done a lot of good for Snooker, as he has for darts.
                                                                                                  It's all built on shaky foundations. If the sponsorship from betting companies is ever restricted the game will go into decline again.

Comment

It's all built on shaky foundations. If the sponsorship from betting companies is ever restricted the game will go into decline again.
                                                                                                    Snooker will just ride the advertising wave of whatever the new thing is.

Smoking, then poker companies, now betting companies. There'll always be something else looking to get some fairly cheap exposure for their slightly risqué product.

Comment

Maybe the cryptocurrency sector will get involved!

Comment

Heres an interesting* frame last night in which there was some game theory situations I've never seen before - the scenario isn't unknown but the scoreline meant what normally happens (rerack) was never an option.

Go to about 1:10:00 for the start.

*Warning, what I find interesting may bore you silly and involves a situation where there was 50 minutes without a pot, yet the referee couldn't call a rerack as long as the guy in the lead kept playing shots that avoided a rerack.

Comment

I watched it live. Thought it was class, but the commentators were very critical. It was always going to be a win for Mehta though, as they were saying. You could tell from about 40 shots out that the balls in the lower right hand eighth of the table were all going to end up at the pocket

Comment

Had a nice bet on O'Donnell to beat Mehta in the previous round. 3-0 up and lost 3-4. The little bollix. O'Donnel or Mehta, you decide. Not a fan of Williams one armed attempts of getting out of snookers and occasionally playing a safety.
                                                                                                            Darts cancelled this evening too.
                                                                                                            Last edited by rounders123; 01-03-18, 13:34.

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post
                                                                                                              Had a nice bet on O'Donnell to beat Mehta in the previous round. 3-0 up and lost 3-4. The little bollix. O'Donnel or Mehta, you decide. Not a fan of Williams one armed attempts of getting out of snookers and occasionally playing a safety.
                                                                                                              Darts cancelled this evening too.
                                                                                                              Interesting frame for sure!

Darts being cancelled is awesome, providing the Arsenal v City game goes ahead

Comment

Interesting frame for sure!

Darts being cancelled is awesome, providing the Arsenal v City game goes ahead

Comment

O'Sullivan vs Trump into a final frame decider for those interested.

Comment

No idea what Trump did to lose.

Comment

No idea what Trump did to lose.
                                                                                                                      Last frame he went from his normal all out attacking to trying to play it safe. Didn't work, could put it down as pressure aswell.

Ronnie's interview afterwards was gold as normal, he basically said that when he retires he will go and coach Trump as he has lots of time for him and will work on certain parts of his game and then he will dominate snooker after me.

Williams for the win tonight?

Comment

O Sullivan 4 - 0 down goes for mid session break comes back and makes a 147.

Comment

Fergal does it again. The most underrated Irish sportsman ever. Pretty decent shot time average too.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X