This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Iago View Post
    So, what's the plan for the 30th? Think Olly said it needs at between 14-18 for dinner

V4V +1?
    Iago +1
    RDIII + 1?
    IonaPaul + 1

anyone else?
    iSnow +1 are 70% ATM

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
      Ross Lewis would be justified in suing anybody that compares The Greenhouse to Chapter One. It would be akin to comparing me to George Clooney.
      Hey, handsome!

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
        Ross Lewis would be justified in suing anybody that compares The Greenhouse to Chapter One. It would be akin to comparing me to George Clooney.
        Go on....

Comment

Really weird. Been there twice and the service was such that they never missed a beat. From all of the reviews I've read / people I've spoken to who've eaten there, you're out on your own with that opinion!

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
            Really weird. Been there twice and the service was such that they never missed a beat. From all of the reviews I've read / people I've spoken to who've eaten there, you're out on your own with that opinion!
            Was there last May and would agree with you. My only surprise was that it didn't get a Michelin star this year. Was top notch.

Comment

I hear terrible and great reviews from both C1 and greenhouse, be raging if I spent 260e and didnt like it.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                Originally posted by careca View Post
                Was there last May and would agree with you. My only surprise was that it didn't get a Michelin star this year. Was top notch.
                I'd be closer to the GAB camp myself. Our service was decent but a little patchy. We had the 5 course surprise menu and only two were worthy of note. The rest were bland and forgettable imo.

It certainly isn't value either.

Interesting to get a range of opinions on a place.
                ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                  I'd be closer to the GAB camp myself. Our service was decent but a little patchy. We had the 5 course surprise menu and only two were worthy of note. The rest were bland and forgettable imo.

It certainly isn't value either.

Interesting to get a range of opinions on a place.
                  Yeah I suppose it comes down to individual experiences. The only time I really enjoyed Ch1 was the chef's table and on each occasion the sommelier was a complete dick. Not sure how he still has a job as everyone seems to agree on that!

Comment

That actually reads like a nice menu. There's defintely a bit of a 2005 vibe in the dining scene atm though, lots of overpriced, pretentious shite. Confined to Dublin too.
                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                      That actually reads like a nice menu. There's defintely a bit of a 2005 vibe in the dining scene atm though, lots of overpriced, pretentious shite. Confined to Dublin too.
                      The new MPW one takes the biscuit imo (only going on reviews). Prices are ridiculous just because you can look at a picture of him on the wall. only one reviewer (Times) called him on it too, others drooled over him. €14.50 for prawn cocktail and €28 for a sirloin, extra for sauce

Comment

Originally posted by careca View Post
                        The new MPW one takes the biscuit imo (only going on reviews). Prices are ridiculous just because you can look at a picture of him on the wall. only one reviewer (Times) called him on it too, others drooled over him. €14.50 for prawn cocktail and €28 for a sirloin, extra for sauce
                        Shanahans - 20 and 50 quid respectively.

Comment

Restaurant Name: Lawlors Hotel

Price Range: €/€€

Review:

One of my friends picked a package deal for 6 of us last night. 75 quid for B&B and a four course dinner.

I thought it was going to be a specific shitty menu for that money, well it wasnt!
                          Absolutely fab from start to finish. Only thing was it was absolutley jammers in there and the waiting time in between course was very long but we were having the crack and knocking back the vino so it didnt bother us as a group.

The staff there are very very good at their jobs. Really looked after us well. Anyway we discussed the menu with the waiter and asked what we could have. Waiter replied with " anything at all , on either menu" I asked was the steak on a stone available ( €24.99) yes it was, happy days!!!

For starter I had Deep Fried Tiger Prawns in Beer Batter Served with Chilli Garlic Mayo , they were lovely and fresh I would say. Far too many of them though.

For the main I obv had the Steak on a stone served with mushrooms, onions and chips. I was trying to figure out would I have the Garlic butter or pepper sauce but was told it came with three sauces. Garlic butter, pepper sauce and a tomato type sauce. It was absolutely beautiful and a fairly big piece of fillet steak. I love the way you cook it yourself on the stone.

Onto dessert which nobody wanted as everyone was stuffed lol I ordered Baileys cheese cake because I am a greedy fucker! It was grand , typical Baileys cheesecake maybe a bit too much baileys but still nice.

Some of the girls asked could they have a cocktail instead of dessert but the waiter said no he couldnt after asking the manager , however he did ask the girls would they like a cocktail at half price instead which was sound. ( obv the greedy fucker I am, I had a long island iced tea)

Over all it was a fantastic night and I will deffo go back . The hotel is not what I expected at all. Lovely rooms, lovely staff/

SPOILER
                          Last edited by SatNav; 01-12-13, 18:36.
                          Her sky-ness
                          © 5starpool

Comment

﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post
                              was wondering who was going to

Comment

Who is your juan beside you?
                                X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post
                                  +1
                                  This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                  All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                  The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                    was wondering who was going to
                                    So was I lol

Originally posted by The-Rigger View Post
                                    Who is your juan beside you?
                                    Thats a lovely wee lass from Finglas, she has fab boobs!
                                    Her sky-ness
                                    © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle SatNav View Post
                                      So was I lol

Thats a lovely wee lass from Finglas, she has fab boobs!

Good one. Agreed on the tits though.

Comment

Restaurant Name: Bo London

Location: 4 Mill Street, London, W1S 2AX

Price Range: €€€€

Review:
                                        Not really great at writing reviews but this place is worth a mention....

Went here with a few friends a couple of weeks ago. We had spent the day boozing, but I thought we had sobered up enough to enjoy ourselves. I have to admit, it was one of the best dining experiences I've had. We went for the 14 course chefs menu. There were a couple of things I wasnt mad about but as a whole - it was deadly.

menu

WHITE GARDEN
                                        Spring onion, avocado and lime mousse, morel mushroom crumbs, dehydrated Enoki, ginger powder - Fucking excellent
                                        BED AND BREAKFAST
                                        Jasmine smoked quail egg, crispy taro crust, Osetra caviar - not mad about egg sop this was so so for me
                                        CLOUD
                                        Cured mackerel, compressed cucumber, black sesame, “Shao Xing” vinegar, mist of rose - deadly, the mist of rose was dry ice wiht rose essence, smelled great
                                        FOIE GRAS
                                        Pan seared foie gras, crispy vermicelli, lettuce wrap with sauce “Abby” - words fail me for this one. Only fantastc
                                        SCALLOP
                                        Sashimi, sugar snap peas, crispy rice, Shanghainese yellow wine - this was a bit mad. the crispy rice was pretty much rice crispies
                                        THREE TOMATOES
                                        Tomato braised in Chinese glutinous rice vinegar, cherry tomato baked in Chinese filo with Chinese olive tapenade, tomato marshmallow with green onion oil - surprisingly simple but very good
                                        DIM SUM
                                        Spicy lamb soup dumpling, chili crab fun gor - this was a bit too hot (temperature wise) to taste, kinda spoiled it as you kinda had to put the whole thing in at once
                                        HAWTHORN
                                        Hawthorn tea with chili, mandarin orange sorbet, lemon grass meringue - really good
                                        COD
                                        Marinated in glutinous rice wine, saffron, miso, samphire, crispy seaweed, dried shrimp and bonito crust - the highlight for me
                                        SWEETBREAD
                                        Veal sweetbread braised in oyster sauce, Sweet & sour pearl onion, oyster, artichoke purée -again very good
                                        ANGUS BEEF
                                        28 days dry aged Angus, 10 aromatic veal bouillon, spicy potato, chive Jiaozi - meh, not great. was a bit flavourless
                                        BAI JIU
                                        Chinese wheat liquor and Fever Tree tonic foam, lime parfait, liquorice caramel - a couple of the lads didn't like this - i thought it was very nice. The wheat liquor is an aquired taste
                                        COCONUT
                                        Palm sugar crème brûlée, sour Morello cherry compote, coconut milk - not enough coconut
                                        PETIT DIM SUM - stuff at this stage but lashed them into us

The whole bill came to £810 (€978) for 4 of us. This included 3 bottles of quite resonably priced white and 4 very expensive cocktails served by a bartender with the personality of a brick. Our waiter, however was very good and really made us feel welcome. I'm not sure the people sitting beside us enjoyed their experience as much as we did, our liberal use of the words 'fucking cunt' probably spoiled their evening somewhat. having said that, I must note that the tables weren't crammed together as you see sometimes see in these types of eatery. It wasn't too formal either. Which was nice.

By the end we were fairly lashed, and slipped off to a resonably priced gentlemens club for the rest of the evening

I'd advise anybody who can, to visit and eat at Bo.

Comment

Wrote a stinker of a review of a local eatery on TA. General Manager was in contact to ask would I meet with him to chat further. Move?

Comment

Added about 11 more reviews to the OP.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                              Added about 11 more reviews to the OP.
                                              Not sure if its just me Dom but when I click on the latest reviews it brings me to DP's Bison review.

Comment

So much for cutting corners. Fixed now, thanks John.

Comment

Originally posted by iSnow View Post
                                                  Wrote a stinker of a review of a local eatery on TA. General Manager was in contact to ask would I meet with him to chat further. Move?
                                                  Met with GM today for coffee and went through my tribulation with his operation. He's offered to comp me dinner for two if I write a mystery guest report for him for his restaurant. Huge kudos to the guy. That's damn fine Management.

Comment

Met with GM today for coffee and went through my tribulation with his operation. He's offered to comp me dinner for two if I write a mystery guest report for him for his restaurant. Huge kudos to the guy. That's damn fine Management.
                                                    What's the name?
                                                    Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005 - "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"

Comment

Bloomfield House Hotel

Comment

Were you wearing a layer of rubber under that pullover in case he drew the oul knife?. I thought that meet up was a come on, i commend your stupidity bravery.

Comment

rounders, you owe us a review of Chameleon btw

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post
                                                            Were you wearing a layer of rubber under that pullover in case he drew the oul knife?. I thought that meet up was a come on, i commend your stupidity bravery.
                                                            The way I saw it was as follows:
                                                            If he was to be an asshole I'd just update my review to reflect his attitude.
                                                            If he wanted to be civil and listen to constructive criticism I was glad to offer it.
                                                            In an interesting aside that can't end well, I've invited another IPBer along for balance.

Comment

I'm not good at reviews but I went to a nice quaint little place in Athlone called La Cucina Di Angelo's yesterday evening right near the Bridge on the Leinster side of the Shannon.

I went with garlic mushrooms for the starter and they were really nice, my gf had Prawns in a lime and chilli sauce with some type of garlic bread. I had a chicken pasta(choice of Penne or Tagliatelli) for the main course with a delicious light but creamy tomatoe sauce, she had chicken on a skewer with basil, a moroccan spicy dip with a strong cinnamon flavour and white cream sauce with square fritas and salad. For desert I had their special which was Black Forest Gateaux(my favourite desert) and it was awesome, she had a knickerbocker glory and she loved it.

We didn't drink any wine, she had a margarita with a sugar rim which she says was very strong and she loved it, we both had coffee and I had a diet coke.

The bill came to €43.75 making it a bargain evening out. We went there at around 6pm so it was probably an early bird menu.

Staff were delightful, not over to you too often but often enough to make sure you were having a good experience. I'll definitely be back there again quite often, really want to try a lot of the stuff on their menu. They do Italian, Mexican and Irish dishes.

I've also been hearing great things about a Thai restaurant in the same town which I intend to visit in the near future.
                                                              'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

Dinner by Heston confirmed for Jan 24th

€100 Aer Lingus voucher I got is going to end up costing me a fortune!
                                                                Last edited by Guest; 15-12-13, 12:58.

Comment

The Porthouse Ibericos, Dundrum.

Not sure if this has been reviewed yet.

Went here yesterday, it's a little tapas place in Dundrum shopping centre, in a lovely little cottage building.

Real nice ambience and atmosphere in the place, we were having a late lunch, about 5pm. Cool Spanish music playing, decent few people in the place, tables close together but not stuffy, cushions under your arse was all that was missing at this point, chairs were a little uncomfortable.

Decent wine list, good selection of by the glass which is a big plus for me, especially for lunch. Smokin hot Spanish waitress takes the order, we ordered seven dishes, deep fried Aubergine with hummus, Calamari, seafood paella, Patatas Bravas, a grilled pork on toasted bread dish, Jamon croquettes and a Manchego burger.

This is where both disappointment and awesomeness merged. The food for the most part was meh, or mediocre, paella was a little better than ok. But, that fucking Manchego burger hombre, that was mind blowing. It's a crispy edged miniature pork burger with Manchego cheese on a bun and I'm salivating still now.

The whole lot cost a little over €40 for the seven dishes and one glass of wine.

My advice, go in, ask for the hot waitress that talks like Gloria out of Modern Family, don't allow them to offer anybody else. Order seven Manchego burgers.
                                                                  I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Lazare's review of a restaurant in dundrum made me think of a couple of others that need a mention.

Jamies Italian.

Dundrum

Myself and the wife eat here a lot. We love it. It's also very accommodating for children. We've never had a bad meal here (actually one time I was very hungover and had a dish of black angel hair pasta with seafood - there was soooo much of it - I nearly hurled). They really look after the kids too. Lots of really good kids meals that arent the usual fish fingers etc.
                                                                    The menu is very extensive with really well cooked pasta dishes. Plenty of fresh fish on too.

Ananda
                                                                    Indian restaurant

Dundrum

Not going to say too much about this except that it is then best indian restaurant Ive ever eaten in. No saucey ass food like you'll get in your local takeaway - just really good food. If you ever get a chance to eat here -do.

Comment

I really liked Ananda got some fantastic food there, thought Jamies was fine nothing special, in no rush to go back

Comment

Want to book a private dining room somewhere in Dublin for ~16 people, any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by HiCloy View Post
                                                                          Want to book a private dining room somewhere in Dublin for ~16 people, any suggestions?

Comment

Looking for restaurant recommendations for London (central or out towards Islington direction) for next weekend.
                                                                            Preference for fresh fish and paleo friendly, not too expensive, relaxed atmosphere and not too posh.
                                                                            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Can only recommend Nobu. Its great sushi etc. Dunno if it's very paeleo though. reviewed here:
                                                                              . Reviews to date 1.Restaurant Patrick Guilbaud, Dublin, €€€€€, Gimmeabreak (http://www.irishpokerboards.com/forum/showpost.php?p=497840&postcount=2) 2.Pearl Brasserie ,Dublin,€€€,mocata (http://www.irishpokerboards.com/forum/showpost.php?p=498020&postcount=6") 3.Peploes, Dublin, €€€,

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post
                                                                                [B]Restaurant Name: Damascus Gate

Damascus Gate doesn’t have a bar licence but they happily have a bring your own policy with no corkage charge.
                                                                                Outstanding. Ate here on Sunday and surmised that they had forgotten the corkage on the bill..
                                                                                That's spectacularly good value right there.

Food is decent, mezze very nice, mains are so-so. Owner is a decent guy, lots of depressing tales about the civil war though.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                  Outstanding. Ate here on Sunday and surmised that they had forgotten the corkage on the bill..
                                                                                  That's spectacularly good value right there.

Food is decent, mezze very nice, mains are so-so. Owner is a decent guy, lots of depressing tales about the civil war though.
                                                                                  Really glad you liked it, i told you!. Looked like the owner guy got a toe hold on you with the stories. I only got the shep proudfoot guy with the ponytail. Its not complete without a visit to the relaxation shisha section but not a thing the womenz generally want to get into so i can understand.

Comment

Can someone recommend a restaurant near the Conrad hotel for tomorrow night, heading up for the UKIPT and bringing herself so going to do some wining and dining. We don't drink wine so price range I suppose around a €100 for both nnot including drinks, I like a good steak myself and herself is easy enough.
                                                                                    Last edited by TheImprover; 27-02-14, 00:47.

Comment

Originally posted by TheImprover View Post
                                                                                      Can someone recommend a restaurant near the Conrad hotel for tomorrow night, heading up for the UKIPT and bringing herself so going to do some wining and dining. We don't drink wine so price range I suppose around a €100 for both nnot including drinks, I like a good steak myself and herself is easy enough.
                                                                                      Comes in right on budget.

Heres another option

Comment

Wherever you go - book in advance. Dublin city centre restaurants are packed. iSnow's two picks are likely booked out.

Comment

The Pig's Ear, Pichet, Red Torch Ginger is somewhere low key that I've taken a bit of a shine to recently. Steak is FXB's on Crowe Street for me.
                                                                                          ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

...
                                                                                            "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

I think you'd like FXBs on Pembroke Street. 5 min walk and you should get a table ok on a Thursday but ring anyway.

Comment

Cheers, going to give that Fxb's place a go, I'll book it there now shortly. Pembroke or Crowe St???

Booked Pembroke st online, menu looks very good and very reasonably priced.
                                                                                                Last edited by TheImprover; 27-02-14, 10:14.

Comment

Cheers, going to give that Fxb's place a go, I'll book it there now shortly. Pembroke or Crowe St???
                                                                                                  Never been at The Crowe Street one. Its Temple Bar so busier area. Pembroke Street is quieter but some good pubs round the corner.

Comment

Booked Pembroke st online, menu looks very good and very reasonably priced.
                                                                                                    Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                                    Never been at The Crowe Street one. Its Temple Bar so busier area. Pembroke Street is quieter but some good pubs round the corner.
                                                                                                    The food is excellent in both but I prefer Crowe street. The service is snappier imo but it's probably marginal. Anyway enjoy it. I recommend the kidneys with cream and mustard starter!

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                                      Are you going to have time to review that place you went to on Saturday - Vintage something? Quite curious about it!
                                                                                                      Vintage Kitchen. I already reviewed it last year, should be in the links in the OP.

Not going to re-review save to say that I think it has improved quite a bit since the first time. Barring the location, it's a great spot.

Comment

...
                                                                                                        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

@ GAB, off for a long lunch - best spot in Terenure/Rathgar or any ideas?

Comment

The food is excellent in both but I prefer Crowe street. The service is snappier imo but it's probably marginal. Anyway enjoy it. I recommend the kidneys with cream and mustard starter!
                                                                                                            I've eaten in both and Crowe street is by far superior in my honest opinion.
                                                                                                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                                              Have Pembroke booked now and it seems to be a lot more convenient for us, I'll let ye know how we get on.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                                                Since he's already booked I was playing nice.

The last time I was in Crowe street I was chatting to the waitress and I told her that they were far superior to the other place and that they should tell them to pull up their socks. She was thrilled to hear it.

Comment

The last time I was in Crowe street I was chatting to the waitress and I told her that they were far superior to the other place and that they should tell them to pull up their socks. She was thrilled to hear it.
                                                                                                                  Going to Pembroke Street on Saturday then on to the leinster game. I'll tell them the opposite.

Comment

I know it's a stupid thing but my missus was quite taken with the waitress bringing out all the different cuts and explaining what level of cooking and sauces sides go well.
                                                                                                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Went to Fxb on Pembroke St.
                                                                                                                      We went for the €29.50 set menu. I got the duck pate which I never had anythinglike before and iI won't be having again, not nice at all. Herself had the ceaser salad which she found to be pretty boring and tasteless.
                                                                                                                      For mains we both got the 10oz Rib eye, I had my medium cooked but they don't know what medium is as it was fairly pink right through and when I got to the end of it I couldn't look at it but still enjoyed the it, haha.
                                                                                                                      Herself had it well done and she really enjoyed it.
                                                                                                                      Desert we both had blueberry cheesecake which was very nice.

Starter for me 0/10
                                                                                                                      Starter for Herself 3/10
                                                                                                                      Main for me 7/10
                                                                                                                      Main for herself 8/10
                                                                                                                      Desert for both 9/10

Total bill came to €81 which included 2 home brews and a glass of wine which was very good to be fair.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                                                                        Going to Pembroke Street on Saturday then on to the leinster game. I'll tell them the opposite.
                                                                                                                        You're going to tell them that they are much worse than the other place??!
                                                                                                                        ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Ha!
                                                                                                                          I'm being brought to FXB's Bull & Castle tonight.
                                                                                                                          We'll see how they match up

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X