Played this hand badly? Please advise!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Played this hand badly? Please advise!

Great site guys, i'm new(ish) to live poker after a lot of Online Poker so i hope to use this site to tighten my game. Starting now.

So,Sunday night and the table is 7 handed, i'm in mid position and i limp (200) with 8,8. All but the BB fold so we're up. Pot is 500.

Flop comes Q,Q,3. He checks. I bet 200. He has no Q obviously. he calls. SO i'm thinking A,K.

Pot is now 900

Turn card makes it Q,Q,3,3. He doesnt catch is what i'm thinking. I bet 600. He calls.

Pot is now 2100

River makes is Q,Q,3,3,A. Now, at this point i know i'm beat. Especially after his next move is:

He bets 600.

I tell him he was waiting for that Ace and his value bet well so i would pay him off and call anyway like a chump.

He shows A,J (i was close) and he takes the pot.

So, opinions please? How badly did i play the hand? How should i approach this situation if it happens again? Or was i just unlucky?

raise preflop, and bet more on the flop, your bet of 200 was terrabad.
    bet more on the turn. I dunno where you can be thinking AK on the flop considering you limped and he checked.
    Basically bet more everywhere.
    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
      raise preflop, and bet more on the flop, your bet of 200 was terrabad.
      bet more on the turn. I dunno where you can be thinking AK on the flop considering you limped and he checked.
      Basically bet more everywhere.
      Cheers.

My bet of 200 was designed to find out where i was. And i pretty much did. But what would you suggest here instead? Trying to take it down?

I get where you're coming from with "I dunno where you can be thinking AK on the flop considering you limped and he checked" but i put it together from how he was playing.

So you suggest be more aggresive in these situations?

Comment

much more aggressive.
        You raise preflop and bet strongly again on the flop, that board is great for your hand.

Your 200 bet did nothing but bloat the pot a little.
        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
          much more aggressive.
          You raise preflop and bet strongly again on the flop, that board is great for your hand.

Your 200 bet did nothing but bloat the pot a little.
          Yeah, that was kinda my plan tbh. Hoping an Ace didnt show and i'd continue to bloat the pot.

But didnt work out obviously! Will try be more aggressive next time

Comment

Like DP has said,
            raise to 600 pre,
            pot - 1300 , bet 650-800 on flop and hope to take it down.

You want to be taking control of hands and make the other player have the tough decisions.

Limping should stop after the 25/50 level when your 1st into the pot after that you should be raising. By that i mean if theres 3 limpers before you, limp with 88 but when folded to you like this raise it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Irish Iron View Post
              Like DP has said,
              raise to 600 pre,
              pot - 1300 , bet 650-800 on flop and hope to take it down.

You want to be taking control of hands and make the other player have the tough decisions.

Limping should stop after the 25/50 level when your 1st into the pot after that you should be raising. By that i mean if theres 3 limpers before you, limp with 88 but when folded to you like this raise it up.
              Great stuff, thanks for the tip(s)

Comment

Sorry Mr Stuffins, but I have to jump on this:
                Originally posted by MrStuffins View Post
                Flop comes Q,Q,3. He checks. I bet 200. He has no Q obviously. he calls. SO i'm thinking A,K.
                Why do you think he doesn't have a queen? Why would you think he has AK? What reason do you have to pick this hand, given that all he's done is checked his option, out of all the possible hands he could have been dealt? If anything you could rule out AK, because a competent player would raise AK preflop.
                Turn card makes it Q,Q,3,3. He doesnt catch is what i'm thinking. I bet 600. He calls.
                Why doesn't he catch? What reason do you have to believe he doesn't have a 3 or a Q, other than this random decision you've made?
                So, opinions please? How badly did i play the hand? How should i approach this situation if it happens again? Or was i just unlucky?
                You pulled a random hand from your head. Then when his actual hand turned out to be not far off it, you allowed confirmation bias to convince you that your random decision actually had some rational basis. I mean, you were almost right, right?

Too harsh?
                "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Harsh, but true. New players often seem to put people on the hand they want villain to have without having a real basis for that range, maybe mrstuffins wont do it anymore after this thread.

Comment

raise preflop bet 3/4 pot on the flop and bet turn

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFB View Post
                      Sorry Mr Stuffins, but I have to jump on this:

Why do you think he doesn't have a queen? Why would you think he has AK? What reason do you have to pick this hand, given that all he's done is checked his option, out of all the possible hands he could have been dealt? If anything you could rule out AK, because a competent player would raise AK preflop.

Why doesn't he catch? What reason do you have to believe he doesn't have a 3 or a Q, other than this random decision you've made?

You pulled a random hand from your head. Then when his actual hand turned out to be not far off it, you allowed confirmation bias to convince you that your random decision actually had some rational basis. I mean, you were almost right, right?

Too harsh?
                      Not harsh at all, thats why i posted it here, so i could get some tips and get better at the game

Comment

Working...
                      X