Irish Poker Boards
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Personal Logs

Old 26-01-13, 15:00   #1
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

No More Fear

So, I turned 29 last week. This scares the shit out of me for many reasons, but in particular because I look like this:

Actually, looking like it isn't really the thing I mind. It's that I'm as out of shape as I look. For the last year I've spent far too much time working and eating poorly; and far, far too little time working on my health and well being. My membership in Ben Dunne was due to expire next week and I was going to renew it like a lemming but happened upon this set of videos on youtube that made me think twice:

It's a bit cringey and is very much a Crossfit marketing ploy but it certainly made me wonder about things. There are many valid criticisms of Crossfit out there it seems, but let's face facts: as an out of shape 29 year old I don't really need to worry about the high end athletic merits of Crossfit. I'm under no illusions that this is the be all and end all of training, etc; and I get that the main site daily workouts and literature is total bullshit a lot of the time. But I need something in terms of guidance and motivation so...

I took a look at the local affiliate (which is just down the road from me) and spent a few days reading up on how much they tailor the program for individuals and filter out the bullshit. It was hard to find anything other than positive feedback.

So I gave them a ring and went down this morning. From talking on the phone, I was genuinely worried that they might say I'm not able to partake in the group sessions and would need private training, etc to get me up to speed. Facility is a converted unit in Sandyford Industrial Estate and is full of functional equipment, squat racks, pull up bars, etc. No banks of cardio machines. Met two of the lads who own the place and they seemed to be very nice and full of interest and sage advice. After a good chat, they took me over for a starting workout:

500 metres row at level 6 resistance
40 bodyweight squats (full depth - he placed a small ball behind me as a guide)
30 sit ups
20 push ups
10 pullups (with a heavy assistance band for myself needless to say)

as fast as you can

There was an emphasis on getting good form and doing full movements and when he was satisfied I was approaching each one correctly I began. Wanted to die during the pushups and found them incredibly difficult (proper form pushup when you're 140kgs is tough). Struggled through in 12 mins 36 seconds. But the coach reckoned I moved well enough for me to partake in the group sessions from the get go - so no private training!

Needless to say, he talked to me for a few minutes afterwards about nutrition. Doing the workouts will help, but if I really want to make a change I need to sort out what's going into my mouth. Cook more, less cheating, less carbs, etc. I'll need to study the info he gave me and figure out a proper plan.

It's not cheap, but if I'm unwilling to invest ~2k in my health over the course of a year what is the point? And doing some reading really convinced me that you do get what you pay for with this stuff. Obviously we have some very fit and motivated people on here who just need a space and some equipment to make progress. Lurker23 doesn't need a coach!! But I do, and like anything else if you want the benefit of quality expertise you need to be willing to spend a few quid.

Anyway, I'm going to stick the workouts they have me do in here. I'm quite excited, they seemed bang on and seem to have the requisite level of knowledge to scale things down to my level and coach me through the lifts. Hopefully I'll have the discipline to make a proper go of this, we'll see.
Old 26-01-13, 15:04   #2
royalraiser85

Send a message via Skype™ to royalraiser85
A friend of mine has been raving about that crossfit thingy for ages.

Looks good and I could sure do with losing some beef so might look into it a bit more closely.

Good post and best of luck with it!

Raiser

Twitter @theroyalraiser
royalraiser85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-13, 15:14   #3
5starpool
Administrator

Good luck with it Lloyd. Any weight loss target or just an unspecified 'feel good' amount?
Old 26-01-13, 15:16   #4
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5starpool View Post
Good luck with it Lloyd. Any weight loss target or just an unspecified 'feel good' amount?
Just feel healthier and lighter Dom. As I said, my appearance has never really worried me that much. Even when I was super fit and healthy I never looked great! Just the gradual realisation that I am as healthy as I look has scared me a little.
Old 26-01-13, 15:24   #5
brady23

I'm all about the new innovations in fitness and love to see something different to the norm and CrossFit definitely fits the mould.
I haven't read much but a personal trainer uses the gym I'm currently doing my placement in and from what he has told me, the concept seems interesting about the use of these exercises increasing the metabolic rate immensely and burning fat really fast.
He mentioned how ripped people using it are getting!!

However in saying that, I've read a few bits about them being in trouble in the US over poor safety and poorly trained staff. I'm sure it's better in Ireland but I know a guy who instructs CrossFit, who is in excellent shape himself and was already a qualified gym instructor before but he was telling me, he had to pay either 1 or 2k to do the course over 1 or 2 weekends.

Not 100% sure of the details and haven't seen the training 1st hand so can't say it's good, bad or indifferent but it is quite expensive, Waterford is one of the cheaper ones I'm told at 90e a month which is alot, but if it works and your motivated by them, it's a small price to pay in the greater scheme of things.
Be great if you put up your progress and details of program as it advances!!

Best of luck!!
brady23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-13, 15:42   #6
Sickpuppy

Fair play Lloyd if you stick with it the weight will fall off you.
You have a powerful build so you never will be skinny.

You write well and hope this thread does not go quiet after a few weeeks.

As regards spending money on your health long term count the cost of illness, drugs
and loss of earnings due to premature death.

The fear is not to bad of a decade a hot widow gave me her number last night never happened in my 20s best of luck.
Sickpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-13, 16:14   #7
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by SICKPUPPY View Post
Fair play Lloyd if you stick with it the weight will fall off you.
You have a powerful build so you never will be skinny.

You write well and hope this thread does not go quiet after a few weeeks.

As regards spending money on your health long term count the cost of illness, drugs
and loss of earnings due to premature death.

The fear is not to bad of a decade a hot widow gave me her number last night never happened in my 20s best of luck.
Yep - that's the big thing. Starting something for a few weeks then doing nothing for months on end has me where I am. The trainer this morning was really pushing the idea of 75 training sessions in six months. 75 hours out of 4383. Sound easy eh? That's the hard part - seeing stuff like this through.

As for the last sentence, I've heard us men are supposed to become more attractive as we age a little. That would want to be true!
Old 26-01-13, 16:24   #8
royalraiser85

Send a message via Skype™ to royalraiser85
As the old saying goes .... 'You too could have a body like mine' ... I say that too but add in words 'when you're not careful!' at the end ... :-) ... I think this is a good idea. Going to google and see if there is any Crossfit going on near me ... Raiser.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Twitter @theroyalraiser
royalraiser85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-13, 17:40   #9
smoothcall
Asteroids Champion

You should definitely set goals/target weight, seeing the number on the scales going down is a good feeling and helps you stay focused. Also it doesnt just feel like your going to the gym every week for eternity when you have a date in mind, gl with it.
smoothcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 26-01-13, 18:25   #10
Raoul Duke III
The King

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
I've heard us men are supposed to become more attractive as we age a little. That would want to be true!
Confirmed

gl with this LL
Old 26-01-13, 19:05   #11
jack90210

As you say yourself the merits of one fitness program or the other is largely unimportant to you at this stage. The key is to start and get moving. Resistance training is absolutely paramount. Even bodyweight resistance as it would seem that they are doing with you.

By far the most important thing on your and everyones journey is nutrition. You need to get a handle on that as a priority. Can't be emphasised enough. Theres plenty of info out there but the 2 basics are 1) reduce your calories below what you expend during the day 2) reduce your carbs intake so you body begins using fat as a fuel. Totally reduce any sugar based carbs - watch out for "hidden"sugar such as fizzy drinks, fruit (inc. fruit juice) - only liquid in your mouth should be water.
jack90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-13, 19:10   #12
Emmet
Bashful the next day

Crossfit is great, with the proviso to "keep the form". Pretty sure you spoke about lifting before so hope you have experience with the correct way to lift, slight spinal curve etc.

Crossfit done properly is both addictive and rewarding. Eat yourself into health too though. Eating properly will help you have energy for training and also reach your goals faster.

I definitely agree with the poster above about defining goals and aiming to get there (short medium and long term).

Gluck gluck, you have the big heart!
Emmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-13, 22:59   #13
Hitchhiker's Guide To...
Duncan F*****g Stewart

Best of luck Lloyd! Great book to read here too, as would complement your ambitions:

Very handy read for changing a few motivations around (despite it looking a bit 'over-American' from the book cover)
Hitchhiker's Guide To... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-13, 11:43   #14
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

Workout 1, Sun 27th 10:00am

Warmup

Some shuttle runs, stretching then 3 rounds of five shoulder dislocations with a PVC bar, five overhead squats with the PVC bar, and five wall slides I think they are called. Was a good warm up, felt good to go after it though my shoulder flexibility is very poor (can't comfortably place the back of my hands and arms flat against a wall)

Strength Movement

Deadlifts @ 80kgs

So the idea was to warm up a few then do two every 30 seconds for six minutes with bands @ 60% of one rep max (resetting with the bar on the ground for each rep). The coach told me to forget about the bands and the time component and just focus on doing a few solid ones with good form on a moderate weight.

I managed 15 before I felt a small strain in my back and the coach said stop. My form taking the bar up is apparently okay, just got to focus on getting into a good rhythm before each attempt and keeping my chest higher. The problem is the way down. Was sloppy putting it down and was bending over too much past the knees. After the session was over he went through a few pointers with me on the movement with the idea being that I need to keep everything tight and focussed down to the knees and just drop it from there if necessary.

Back was fine a few minutes after I stopped so it could just have been tiredness from doing a movement I haven't done in a looooong time.

Metcon

16kgs kettle ball swings AMRAP for five minutes
Skipping for five minutes
16kgs kettle ball swing AMRAP for 2.5 minutes
Skipping for 2.5 minutes

Kettle ball swings are tough! Was able to get the idea down fairly quickly though which is good.

Skipping is simply an art it seems. Try as I might, I struggled to get more than five in a row done - though it was a good workout trying. The co - ordination is tough.

Gassed after it and very tired now. Next session is Tuesday night. Were four people to a main coach so plenty of individual feedback and pointers. Good stuff.

Last edited by LuckyLloyd; 08-03-13 at 19:59. Reason: Yeah, it was 80 rather than 70 now that I think of it
LuckyLloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
Old 27-01-13, 11:51   #15
sligoboi
Loves blaas

Best of luck Lloyd
Old 27-01-13, 12:08   #16
Emmet
Bashful the next day

Lloyd, re: form. Get a single non-Crossfit PT session if you can.

Can't stress enough how important it is to learn how to lift correctly if you want to make any progress without hurting yourself.

I'm teaching someone at the moment and I won't let them lift anything heavy until they learn the form properly.

Especially Deadlifting and Squatting. Probably pay something like 40/50quid for a session with someone who'll just watch and advise you lifting an emtpy bar a few times.

Emmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 27-01-13, 12:44   #17
drive56

Ive been a fairly avid gym goer for the last two years ago and have only recently been doing cross fit(last few months). Its the business. But what Ive only realised over the last 6 months or so, that diet is one of the largest things in training. I obviously always realised it was important. But Ive really been strict on it and my weight is staying the same(as ive planned) my strength has increased, and my body fat has gone way down. I have one cheat meal a week which really keeps me going and something to look forward to. As for crossfit, form is everything. I thought I had decent form until i started crossfit. With my old technique I was deadlifting for a triple 140kg which i was pleased with at 75kg body weight. However, I have cut back on the weight significantly to ensure form is correct and to strengthen glutes, lats and hamstrings all of which play a huge part in the deadlift. (Using assited lifts, good mornings etc) If I were you I would really concentrate on the diet. Your trying to make a lifestyle change and not a quick fix so you need to eat often and a combination of Carbs, Protein and Fat. If you want any info on nutrition PM me. I dont claim to be an expert but Im doing a personal training course at the moment and beginning a masters in nutrition in september so I know enough to shed some light on frequency of meals and portions etc if necessary
drive56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 27-01-13, 12:55   #18
jack90210

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive56 View Post
Ive been a fairly avid gym goer for the last two years ago and have only recently been doing cross fit(last few months). Its the business. But what Ive only realised over the last 6 months or so, that diet is one of the largest things in training. I obviously always realised it was important. But Ive really been strict on it and my weight is staying the same(as ive planned) my strength has increased, and my body fat has gone way down. I have one cheat meal a week which really keeps me going and something to look forward to. As for crossfit, form is everything. I thought I had decent form until i started crossfit. With my old technique I was deadlifting for a triple 140kg which i was pleased with at 75kg body weight. However, I have cut back on the weight significantly to ensure form is correct and to strengthen glutes, lats and hamstrings all of which play a huge part in the deadlift. (Using assited lifts, good mornings etc) If I were you I would really concentrate on the diet. Your trying to make a lifestyle change and not a quick fix so you need to eat often and a combination of Carbs, Protein and Fat. If you want any info on nutrition PM me. I dont claim to be an expert but Im doing a personal training course at the moment and beginning a masters in nutrition in september so I know enough to shed some light on frequency of meals and portions etc if necessary
Where you doing the masters in nutrition?
jack90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-13, 13:19   #19
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

Thanks for the tips lads.

@Emmett: to be fair, I was being coached today. They offer private training sessions (expensive mind, 75 an hour) though and it may be an option to take them up on for a specific squat and deadlift session

@drive: thanks for the offer of additional help. A bit overburdened in literature to get through at the moment, but have a basic idea of what's required. To be honest, the first step for me is a few weeks of no take aways, pizzas, coke, etc and just start cooking whatever I'm eating. That would make a big difference.
Old 27-01-13, 13:19   #20
Lplated

Most importantly - the best of luck of this.

If you a bit of research round the 'net - two things more than any others significantly increase your chances of success - a) Doing some kind of 'public' progress keeping report [which this thread would represent, and b) Keeping a track of what you eat each day [a number of free sites/apps for this].

This time last year I was in a similar position to you, albeit at a higher age category [] - 12 months later my weight is near where I want it to be, my body fat is almost there and my fitness levels have gone way up.

Not going to bore you or anyone else with what I did, but two things in particular were game-changers for me -

1) The realisation, after research, that it's not just exercise that is important, diet [in the sense of what you eat rather than the amount], is vital. Figures around the web vary from 50:50 to 80:20 [in ratio of diet:exercise]. This was a shock to me as for years before that I'd assumed that just getting the exercise right would cause everything else to fall into place.

You've chosen your means of exercise, at least to start off with. I don't know your trainers, but they may not be nutrition/diet experts also, and thus you may need to do some work/research in that field yourself. Which brings me to my second game-changer ...

2) The realisation that the generally recommended healthy eating type things [food pyramids etc...] are a disaster.

This article is by an Irish guy, a sports nutritionist. [ http://optimumnutrition4sport.co.uk/...s-bad-for-us/]

What he says is a summary version [essentially], of an award winning investigation published by the New York Times in the 1990's.

The follow on to that NY times article is the host of 'paleo' type diets [ including "whole30" and "primal living"].

An hour or two flicking through those kind of things will speed up your progress no end, firstly because they work in the sense of weigh loss/muscle gain, and secondly because they speed up the body's recovery process from the new/extra exercise you'll be doing.

Just my 2pence.

Good luck.
Lplated is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:

Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Personal Logs