This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rufio View Post
    So last night I had a go at making Shrapnels' chocolate fondant type desert. See this post.

Here it is!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Pretty nice flow of liquidy chocolate goodness and a dollop of carte d'or vanilla ice cream.

Absolutely delicious! My girlfriend and her housemate also thought it was gorgeous so plenty of brownie points for me.

Thanks for the recipe Shrapnel, It's a good-un!

edit: Don't know why the pictures aren't showing up, if you right click and open them in new tab (using chrome) they work....
    with pic

Comment

Originally posted by Rufio
      What did you do to get the pic to turn up?
      there is a forum embed link on imageshack when u upload.

paste that instead of the url you posted.

you posted {IMG]http://img9.imageshack.us/i/imag0252b.jpg/[/IMG}
      i posted {URL=http://img9.imageshack.us/i/imag0252b.jpg/}[IMG]http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/6599/imag0252b.jpg[/IMG}[/URL}

Comment

yup, just copy and paste my post above as a re-edit to fix the links.

Imageshack has a landing page which is what you linked to in the original. You need to right click on the pictures and select "view image" and then copy the link given for the photo on its own.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide to... View Post
          Cooked an excellent dish yesterday that a Greek housemate used to always cook back in uni. So simple, but takes ages to cook:

Greek Beef

Ingredients:

About four onions very finely chopped
          About four chopped garlic cloves
          Two tins chopped tomatoes (may as well get good quality e.g. Roma with added Basil)
          Refill one and a half of those tomato tins with water
          About 1kg stewing beef
          Salt, pepper, olive oil, maybe a bit of Worcester sauce

Steps:

1. Gently fry the onions and garlic in a large pot

2. Add the beef and continue frying until a bit brown

3. Add the two tins of chopped tomatoes, one and a half tins of cold water, a fair whack of salt, pepper, a bit more olive oil, maybe Worcester sauce

4. Cover and gently simmer at about heat 2, for the next maybe three hours, or until the water has more or less all evaporated, stirring every now and again.

This tastes so excellent and will last for a good few days. The beef is all crumbly and the tomatoes go so well with it. Nearly impossible to fck up. Eat it with copious amounts of fresh baguette bread as its excellent for dipping bread in.
          Going to give this a shot tonight.
          This too shall pass.

Comment

Does anyone have any recipes for low-fat, healthy, salad dressings? I've been experimenting but can't settle on any I really like compared to restaurant/supermarket dressings.

Comment

So last night I had a go at making Shrapnels' chocolate fondant type desert. See this post.

I followed the recipe pretty much dead on with a few exceptions.

So here's my photo's of the experience.

All the ingredients ready and laid out. I weighed the chocolate, sugar, butter and flour as required.
              now that i can see the pics, just one comment. i've no idea how good that tesco one is (and it could be excellent for all i know), but when making chocolate recipes, i would always buy the highest quality chocolate i can find (lindt, green and gold, meunier, etc.), just because your dish's taste is going to be hugely reliant on that ingredient. You can also experiment with different concentration (71, 74, 84%) for stronger flavors.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                now that i can see the pics, just one comment. i've no idea how good that tesco one is (and it could be excellent for all i know), but when making chocolate recipes, i would always buy the highest quality chocolate i can find (lindt, green and gold, meunier, etc.), just because your dish's taste is going to be hugely reliant on that ingredient. You can also experiment with different concentration (71, 74, 84%) for stronger flavors.
                I was thinking even the 74% gave a very rich/heavy flavour (possibly too rich).

But you could be right re: Tesco vs premium brand chocolate.
                Double-decker bus enthusiast

Comment

They are probably made in the same factory imo.
                  X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                  Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                    Going to give this a shot tonight.
                    Sealed the meat in a pan.

Added the softened onion and garlic.

Added the tomatoes, water, salt, pepper, lea and perrins, tobasco and basil.

On a very low heat for the next 2.5/3 hours, will be serving with boiled rice and some crusty bread.

Kitchen smells fantastic btw.
                    This too shall pass.

Comment

Cheers Hitch, nyum nyum...went down a treat with the wife, serious brownie points scored !!

This too shall pass.

Comment

Restaurant review

OK to post here? Thought it might be useful as people occasionally ask for recommendations.

Just back from Salon Des Saveurs on Aungier Street, Dublin.

We both had:

Summer Butternut Soup with Pancetta
                        Black Trumpet Mushrooms, Parmesan, Truffle Oil

Wasabi Cured Salmon “Pastrami”
                        Pickled Pear, Ginger, Soy, Wasabi Creme Fraiche

Risotto of Asparagus - Parmesan
                        Chanterelle, Duck Leg, Caraway Seeds

Daube of Beef
                        Celeriac Mousseline, Salsfy Chips, Pearl Onions Butternut, Parsley Hollandaise

Lemon Tart, Ice Lemon Soufflé, Lemon Rice Pudding Spiced Lemon Cake, Lemon Ice-CreamTasting of Lemon

I had the five tasting wines (naturally) also and the good lady wife had a couple of glasses.

The food was delicious. I'd say Michelin-quality albeit at the value end of the scale.

The wine was very well matched and worth it (five glasses for €39 i think).

The service was not fine dining quality (waitress tried to pour water into my wine and they were ramshackle in plenty of other areas) but we still had a laugh with the staff who were friendly and accommodating.

As we were sat beside the kitchen we overheard a lot of conversations, the funniest of which was chef Conrad Gallagher roaring at the top of his voice to one tardy waiter "move your fuckin' hole".

The music (jazz fusion) helped the ambience greatly and at €140 for 2 we had great food, decent wine, a few laughs and a good vibe. Recommended but don't take it TOO seriously.
                        Last edited by BennyHiFi; 01-04-11, 12:48.

Comment

Our whole Family went to Castle Leslie in Monaghan last friday for Dad's 60th. It was savage Value, €115 pps for one night in the hunting lodge, evening meal in the castle, bottle of wine, and breakfast. Food was excellent,had a citrus salad with crab meat for starter, then Daube of Beef wth artichoke puree followed by a pineapple and mango creme brulee. staff were relaxed and friendly, no problem picking a really good Rioja and paying the difference, sorbets between courses to cleanse the palate, full of classy wee touches. Breakfast was lurvely too, Eggs Benedict and Orange, Cardamon and Vanilla Herbal tea.

The dining room and adjoining rooms are stunning, surprised at how warm and homely it all felt. Would be a fantastic place for couples, they have a cookery school, equestrian centre (which you can lie in the balcony hot tub and look over), and the grounds themselves are beautiful.

We were so guilty at the low price we paid that we felt obliged to drink €500 worth in the bar on friday night
                          Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                          https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Originally posted by The C Kid View Post
                            Does anyone have any recipes for low-fat, healthy, salad dressings? I've been experimenting but can't settle on any I really like compared to restaurant/supermarket dressings.
                            The base of most dressings is oil, be it oil and vinegar in an an italian dressing or oil and egg in an mayo/creamy type dressing.

For low fat just use as little oil as possible and strong flavours for the others.
                            Vinegar (balsamic is my fav) or Lemon juice is a good base. A small dash of olive oil isn't going to make is unhealthy (the problem with regualar dressign is that they are 75% oil)Then add things like chilli flakes and herbs.

The fat free store bought ones use a thickener to give it the oil like consistancy. I think its zyolitol (sp??) gum. You gan buy this easily and its a pretty good ingredient. I dunno if its worth buying for a dressing as store bought might be easier (depends if the store bought has lots of crap in it I suppose)

Comment

Anyone got any suggestions of spice combinations that work well together for stir-fries?

I tend to just lamp in whatever I have and hope for the best, usually turns out reasonably ok but would like to have a bit more of a clue of what works...

Comment

oyster sauce, soy sauce, sesame oil and chilli's are your friend there. no need to go nuts on the spices as there should be enough perfect flavour balance there

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                  Anyone got any suggestions of spice combinations that work well together for stir-fries?

I tend to just lamp in whatever I have and hope for the best, usually turns out reasonably ok but would like to have a bit more of a clue of what works...

Slice fillet steak into thin strips and marinate it for a few hours (overnight pref) in Teriyake sauce with a chopped clove of garlic, a chopped inch of ginger and a bunch of chopped coriander.

Fry a small bit of chopped garlic and ginger in sesame oil then add the beef and fry for a couple of minutes.

Add your vegetables then add the marinade sauce, add a bunch of chopped coriander then finally your noodles.

Cook your noodles beforehand and run them under the cold tap, then toss them in soy sauce.
                                  Last edited by Lazare; 01-04-11, 16:01.
                                  I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                    Slice fillet steak into thin strips and marinate it for a few hours (overnight pref) in Teriyake sauce with a chopped clove of garlic, a chopped inch of ginger and a bunch of chopped coriander.

Fry a small bit of chopped garlic and ginger in sesame oil then add the beef and fry for a couple of minutes.

Add your vegetables then add the marinade sauce, add a bunch of chopped coriander then finally your noodles.

Cook your noodles beforehand and run them under the cold tap, then toss them is soy sauce.
                                    I think fillet steak is overpriced to be sticking in a stirfry what is it 22 23 euro a kilo?
                                    id not be using stewing beef but think sirloin would be fine esp if marinated

Comment

Originally posted by SICKPUPPY View Post
                                      I think fillet steak is overpriced to be sticking in a stirfry what is it 22 23 euro a kilo?
                                      id not be using stewing beef but think sirloin would be fine esp if marinated
                                      You wouldn't use as much as normal, one good steak is good for two people in a stir fry.

The small bit of extra $ is well worth it imo, it has to melt in your mouth.

Comment

You wouldn't use as much as normal, one good steak is good for two people in a stir fry.

try butter

Comment

Good point i use such large portions id be robbed

Comment

When in india they had a very simple fresh corn in the cob, cokked over charcoal - and topped with spices and lemon (lime? )
                                            it was amazing
                                            has anyone a simple recipe for this? Id love to try and recreate it but just amnt sure what would work

Also, love lasagne. Mushrooms, white sauce, carrot, mince, not much garlic, plenty of sauce . . . Can anyone recommend one for the blander eaters amongst us? (the chilie didnt float my boat DP )
                                            GAA News Website

Comment

here's a delicious, really simple stir fry

ingredients

2 cups fresh basil (finely chopped up)
                                              peanut oil (sunflower oil will be fine too, if you don't have any)
                                              3-4 cloves of garlic (finely chopped or crushed)
                                              1 onion (finely chopped)
                                              1 tbsp freshly grated ginger
                                              2 green chillies (finely chopped)
                                              1 red chilli (finely chopped) (add or remove the seeds to vary hotness)
                                              500g chicken breast (chopped in bite sized pieces)
                                              1/4 cup fish sauce
                                              1 tablespoon brown sugar

put oil in your wok or pan, fry your onions until nice and soft and brown, add garlic, ginger and chilli and keep frying and turning for a few minutes.
                                              add the chicken, fry a little, then add the fish sauce. i usually add it, let it heat up, bubble, infuse all the ingredients, and when everything looks nice and soft and moist, add a little more fish sauce with the sugar and basil and stir a bit more to mix and cook it all up. i always try and make sure there's a bit of juice in the bottom of the pan, which i can then pour over the mixture and the basmati rice you've served this with.

Comment

Originally posted by Semibluff View Post
                                                When in india they had a very simple fresh corn in the cob, cokked over charcoal - and topped with spices and lemon (lime? )
                                                it was amazing
                                                has anyone a simple recipe for this? Id love to try and recreate it but just amnt sure what would work

Also, love lasagne. Mushrooms, white sauce, carrot, mince, not much garlic, plenty of sauce . . . Can anyone recommend one for the blander eaters amongst us? (the chilie didnt float my boat DP )
                                                lol some lad for the corn on the cobs you are

Comment

Bhutta, Indian corn on the cob

it was amazing

seemingly its simple enough,
                                                  a google search turned up more elaborate recipies, but this one seemed to be the most popular

4 Corn on the cob
                                                  3 tablespoons Salt
                                                  3/4 th teaspoon red chili powder
                                                  1 Lime cut into halves

Mix the salt and chili powder and set aside on a small plate. On a gas burner or hot grill, turn the heat to high. Take one corn on the cob and hold it an inch above the burner. Roast while turning all the time. Within 3 to 4 minutes you will hear a popping sound. Keep turning the corn on the cob cob over until the kernels acquire a brownish black color.

With a freshly cut piece of lime, dip the open end of the lime into the mixture of red chili powder and salt and then massage the length of the cob with the lime, salt and red chili. This will leave trails of hot and sour flavor all over the kernels. Eat or Serve immediately.

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

Roasted Butternut Squash and Redpepper soup (tasty lowfat, and filling mmmmm)

I know your going blah blah blah but try it out, its really nice.

1 Butternut squash
                                                    1 large onion
                                                    2 red peppers
                                                    2 Knorr vegetable stock cubes

Peel and chop the onion, butternut squash and the red pepper and put into the oven 200 degrees with a litt oil spay, salt and pepper and roast for about a 45 minutes
                                                    Put about pint of boiling water in saucepan, and dissolve the stock cubes

take out roasted stuff out of oven and whack the lot in a blender with the water and stockcubes
                                                    Follow me in twitterland

Comment

Barbecued garlic mushrooms

BBQ season is here at last, cooked my first one last week. Nothing beats coming home from work, opening a beer and lighting a fire out your back garden. Charcoal all the way for me, sure gas is convenient, but it's convenient because it cuts out all the fun. Like making babies without the sex.

Anyway, that's all beside the point, my mate's Polish girlfriend cooked these last year at their barbecue. They are so so simple to do and are unbelievably tasty.

Make some garlic butter by crushing a clove of garlic into some (real) butter, and mixing well with a fork. Add some parsley if you want, dry parsley is fine.

Roll out some tinfoil and using a scissors cut into 4" squares, I make about ten mushrooms for two people, so count your mushrooms and cut as much as you need.

Discard the stalk, place the cup into the tinfoil square, spoon a little garlic butter into it and sprinkle some salt onto it (sea salt flakes work best)...

Now just wrap it up so it looks a little like this...

Stick them on the barbecue for about 15 - 20 minutes, direct or indirect doesn't really matter.

Just serve them on the plate as they are, don't open them beforehand as this will lose the delicious juice.

Also, I barbecued asparagus the other day and they were fantastic. The large ones, stick them on for about 10 - 12 mins, slightly off to the side of the hot coals. The tips go all crispy while the body keeps all that juice. The best veg for barbecuing imo
                                                      Last edited by Lazare; 05-04-11, 20:01.

Comment

Juciest chicken ever using this method, great for snacking on at parties etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=envkF...layer_embedded

Just had this for the second time in a week 80mins in a fan oven @170 degrees.Chicken picked clean and the kids absolutely love it, thanks Rufio for posting it.

Comment

Barbecued garlic mushrooms

BBQ season is here at last, cooked my first one last week. Nothing beats coming home from work, opening a beer and lighting a fire out your back garden. Charcoal all the way for me, sure gas is convenient, but it's convenient because it cuts out all the fun. Like making babies without the sex.

Anyway, that's all beside the point, my mate's Polish girlfriend cooked these last year at their barbecue. They are so so simple to do and are unbelievably tasty.

Make some garlic butter by crushing a clove of garlic into some (real) butter, and mixing well with a fork. Add some parsley if you want, dry parsley is fine.

Roll out some tinfoil and using a scissors cut into 4" squares, I make about ten mushrooms for two people, so count your mushrooms and cut as much as you need.

Discard the stalk, place the cup into the tinfoil square, spoon a little garlic butter into it and sprinkle some salt onto it (sea salt flakes work best)...

Now just wrap it up so it looks a little like this...

Stick them on the barbecue for about 15 - 20 minutes, direct or indirect doesn't really matter.

Just serve them on the plate as they are, don't open them beforehand as this will lose the delicious juice.

Also, I barbecued asparagus the other day and they were fantastic. The large ones, stick them on for about 10 - 12 mins, slightly off to the side of the hot coals. The tips go all crispy while the body keeps all that juice. The best veg for barbecuing imo
                                                          I do something along the same lines with new potatoes.

same deal, square of tinfoil, 3 new pops, the small washed ones,bring the sides up, little drop of oil, splash of balsamic, some sea salt, close them nice and tight and cook for about 15-20 mins. These can also be done in the oven obv.
                                                          This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Angry-Ball View Post
                                                            seemingly its simple enough,
                                                            a google search turned up more elaborate recipies, but this one seemed to be the most popular

4 Corn on the cob
                                                            3 tablespoons Salt
                                                            3/4 th teaspoon red chili powder
                                                            1 Lime cut into halves

Mix the salt and chili powder and set aside on a small plate. On a gas burner or hot grill, turn the heat to high. Take one corn on the cob and hold it an inch above the burner. Roast while turning all the time. Within 3 to 4 minutes you will hear a popping sound. Keep turning the corn on the cob cob over until the kernels acquire a brownish black color.

With a freshly cut piece of lime, dip the open end of the lime into the mixture of red chili powder and salt and then massage the length of the cob with the lime, salt and red chili. This will leave trails of hot and sour flavor all over the kernels. Eat or Serve immediately.
                                                            I did these the other night on the bbq and they were amazing.

Cooking them again right now

Comment

lovely - is there any way of doing it without a naked flame?
                                                              GAA News Website

Comment

Does anyone make fresh pasta?
                                                                Is it worth the effort?

Comment

Give me your favourite recipe Lottie

Comment

Can't think of one. I used to cook a bit more, then I gave up and started using jars of everything.

I do make great scrambled eggs.

Comment

Originally posted by Sometime Happy Dude View Post
                                                                      Is it worth the effort?
                                                                      I'd say buying fresh pasta is a worth a spin. Making it seams to be hassle though

Comment

Originally posted by Sometime Happy Dude View Post
                                                                        Is it worth the effort?
                                                                        used to make it. it's fun to do, but takes time. it's almost exactly the same as the fresh pasta you can buy in the shops, so probably not worth the hassle.

Comment

I buy the freeze dried shit, or whatever it is.

Comment

I'll have to admit, the following recipe may kill you with sheer sexy awesomeness.
                                                                            I make it probably about twice a year before going to festivels or camping.
                                                                            It's gonna hurt looking at it, fair warning.

Shooter Sandwich
                                                                            1. You’ll need your choice of crusty loaf, a couple of good steaks – these are rib-eyes – roughly the same shape in plan as the loaf, 500g of mushrooms and 200g of shallots
                                                                            2. Slice off the top quarter of the loaf, hook out most of the crumb and save for breadcrumbs
                                                                            3. Cut your shallots and mushrooms into fine dice and put about 75g of butter into the pan. I got lucky and had a similar quantity of bone marrow left over in the fridge
                                                                            4. Cook mushrooms and shallots in the butter until they’ve softened, reduced in size and lost a substantial amount of moisture. Once they’re done, season to your taste. I used plenty of salt and black pepper, some finely grated garlic and a splash of Worcestershire sauce. Those fearing scurvy might add some chopped parsley too
                                                                            5. Season your steaks and bring them to the pink side of medium in a searing hot dry pan
                                                                            6. Don’t bother resting the steaks. Work fast and tuck the first one, dripping and hot, straight into the bottom of the hollow loaf
                                                                            7. Dollop in your hot mushroom mixture
                                                                            8. Tuck your second steak over the mushrooms. At this stage I usually smear hot horseradish on the top steak and Dijon mustard on the inside of the lid
                                                                            9. Fit the lid back on to the loaf
                                                                            10. Wrap in greaseproof paper and tie with butcher’s string. Then wrap in two layers of foil and smush flat under a heavy cutting board and as many weights as you can find
                                                                            11. Leave under the weights in a reasonably cool place (don’t refrigerate) for at least six hours or preferably overnight. Remove the foil and cut through string, paper and sandwich
                                                                            12. Eat like a king
                                                                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

#98
                                                                              ^^^ That looks awesome.

Comment

#99
                                                                                lovely - is there any way of doing it without a naked flame?
                                                                                i would imagine a grill will give you the same burn't look, but doubt you will not get the barbecue taste. but if you are like me iam not gone on the charcoal/burn't taste anyhow, i have got a gas grill.

on another note cleaning a big gas grill is a bit of a pain in the hole, i stumbled upon a quick simple method last year. we had put the barbecue into storage without giving it a good clean, so when we pulled it out last summer it was covered in mould and 8month old grease after about an hour of brillo pads it was looking hopeless, there was grease and mould in every little crevice. i was just about to give up hope when i realised i had a gallon of engine cleaner/degreaser in the garage. just poured it on liberally and scrubed it with an ordinary dishbrush for about 10mins, then got the garden hose and just simply rinsed it off, eazy game

tl:dr:
                                                                                use engine degreaser to clean your barbecue

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

why are we squashing the be-jesus out of it.?

Comment

Originally posted by Angry-Ball View Post
                                                                                    why are we squashing the be-jesus out of it.?
                                                                                    Have you ever tried to bite 2 steaks a shitload of mushrooms and shallots and a sourdough loaf?
                                                                                    Plus it allows all the fillings to mingle perfectly.
                                                                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

That looks fantastic,kinda like a beef wellington to-go. Am thinking some sort of philly cheese steak take on it would be worth investigating
                                                                                      Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                                                      https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Gonna revive this with some healthy recipes I've been experimenting with;

Blueberry pancakes:

Ingredients:

6-12 egg whites
                                                                                        1/2 cup of oatmeal
                                                                                        Blueberries(frozen or fresh, doesnt matter)
                                                                                        Pinch of cinnamon powder

Simples, chuck the egg whites and oatmeal into a blender, mix and drop onto a hot pan. When bubbles start to form spread your blueberries evenly. When they sit flip over and cook to your satisfaction.

Healthy and tasty

Chocolate french toast;

Bit high on calories and carbs but good for a treat;

4 egg whites
                                                                                        Chocolate protein powder(1/2 a scoop)
                                                                                        2 slices of bread
                                                                                        Pinch of Cinamon powder
                                                                                        Pinch of Stevia

Mix up the ingredients, except the bread obv. Dip and coat the bread in the mix until covered, let it soak for a few seconds. Chuck em in your skillet and heat until golden brown.

Not really a recipe but my breakfast of choice.

Frozen blueberries
                                                                                        A bannana
                                                                                        Goji berries
                                                                                        Low fat yogurt (Glenisk yogurt is good)

Slice the banana, add to the blueberries and pour your yogurt on top and then sprinkle with Gojiberries. Tasty as fuck and high in protein and low in fat. Perfect.

You can try an apple/strawberries or even an orange in place of the banana if you like.

My basic salad entails:

Spinach
                                                                                        Lettuce
                                                                                        Tuna
                                                                                        Tomatoes
                                                                                        Beetroot(v important)
                                                                                        Cottage or Quark cheese
                                                                                        And my own dressing; Chopped garlic + extra virgin olive oil + balsamic vinegar(about 3 parts oil, 2 parts vinegar)

Tuna bake:

Wholewheat pasta
                                                                                        Mushroom soup
                                                                                        2 tins of tuna
                                                                                        Tin of sweetcorn

While your pasta is heating, mix your soup, tuna and sweetcorn all together. You can add in fresh mushrooms, garlic or whatever tickles your fancy.

When the pasta's done, drain the water and mix the lot together and heat. Serve with garlic bread.

Just a few of many, i'll make further posts soon.

Comment

the girlfriend made an epic potato bake for me last night

I don't know the quantities, but i'm sure variation won't matter.
                                                                                          It's not really hard to firure how much of each 1 person needs

potatos
                                                                                          chicken breast
                                                                                          bacon pieces (lardons or similar)
                                                                                          Mushrooms
                                                                                          An onion
                                                                                          single cream
                                                                                          Crushed tomatos
                                                                                          cheese

Peel and slice some spuds, par-boil in a little salted water
                                                                                          dice and fry the chicken
                                                                                          Chop the onions and mushrooms
                                                                                          In a lasange dish (or similar) layer 1/2 of everything. We went with the following order - potatoes, chciken, onions mushrooms bacon. Mix the cream with the tomatoes and pour half over. Top with 1/3 od the cheese. Repeat the whole layering process and top with the rest of the sauce and the cheese.

Baked for 20mins or until the top looks all melted and sexy.

I'm having seconds for lunch today.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

[/LIST]
                                                                                            Holy fuck - that looks class. i'm defo making this during the week, as i'm planning on gettign the diet back sorted from monday. Have 2 or 3 days to get it done
                                                                                            Never heard of a shoter sandwich before, i googled it and this came up
                                                                                            Last edited by Mellor; 27-04-11, 02:22.

Comment

Did Paella yesterday. Here's how.

Paella:

Ingredients:

3 chicken fillets
                                                                                              Prawns(used about half a bag of frozen ones)
                                                                                              Green and red pepper
                                                                                              Peas
                                                                                              Onion(1 red onion should do)
                                                                                              Garlic
                                                                                              Pinch of paprika
                                                                                              Pinch of parsley
                                                                                              Pinch of rosemary
                                                                                              Cherry tomatoes(about 6, slice them in half)
                                                                                              Half a bag of paella rice(you can buy it in Tesco)
                                                                                              Saffron

First, cook the prawns in a pot for 5 minutes or so. Use about a litre of water and make sure you keep the water in a measuring jug or whatever when the prawns are done. You'll need this for the paella later on.

Diffuse the Saffron(you only need a tiny amount, literally 4 or 5 strands will do) into warm water.

While the saffron diffuses, heat your Skillet and cook the fillets for around 5 minutes. Stir constantly.

Add the onion and garlic, cook for 2-3 minutes. Stir constantly.

Add in the saffron, cook for another 1-2 minutes. Stir constantly.

Add peppers and tomatoes, another 2-3 minutes. Stir constantly.

Add in your herbs, peas and rice now, another 2 minutes. Stir constantly.

Now add the water you used to cook the prawns and stir constantly for around 10 minutes and let the rice soak up the water. Could take longer, but around 10-15 minutes should work.

Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Don't stir, just give the pan a shake every now and then.

Add in your prawns and stir for 3-4 minutes.

The paella should now be a maelstrom of wonderful colours and flavours. It's very filling and perfectly healthy. Enjoy. I know I did. I'll put some pics up later.

Comment

Sounds awesome Bryan, what sort of taste is saffron, don't know if I've ever had it?

Can you pick it up in Dunnes/Tesco easily enough?

Originally posted by Moneymaker View Post
                                                                                                Did Paella yesterday. Here's how.

Paella:

Ingredients:

3 chicken fillets
                                                                                                Prawns(used about half a bag of frozen ones)
                                                                                                Green and red pepper
                                                                                                Peas
                                                                                                Onion(1 red onion should do)
                                                                                                Garlic
                                                                                                Pinch of paprika
                                                                                                Pinch of parsley
                                                                                                Pinch of rosemary
                                                                                                Cherry tomatoes(about 6, slice them in half)
                                                                                                Half a bag of paella rice(you can buy it in Tesco)
                                                                                                Saffron

First, cook the prawns in a pot for 5 minutes or so. Use about a litre of water and make sure you keep the water in a measuring jug or whatever when the prawns are done. You'll need this for the paella later on.

Diffuse the Saffron(you only need a tiny amount, literally 4 or 5 strands will do) into warm water.

While the saffron diffuses, heat your Skillet and cook the fillets for around 5 minutes. Stir constantly.

Add the onion and garlic, cook for 2-3 minutes. Stir constantly.

Add in the saffron, cook for another 1-2 minutes. Stir constantly.

Add peppers and tomatoes, another 2-3 minutes. Stir constantly.

Add in your herbs, peas and rice now, another 2 minutes. Stir constantly.

Now add the water you used to cook the prawns and stir constantly for around 10 minutes and let the rice soak up the water. Could take longer, but around 10-15 minutes should work.

Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Don't stir, just give the pan a shake every now and then.

Add in your prawns and stir for 3-4 minutes.

The paella should now be a maelstrom of wonderful colours and flavours. It's very filling and perfectly healthy. Enjoy. I know I did. I'll put some pics up later.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                                  Sounds awesome Bryan, what sort of taste is saffron, don't know if I've ever had it?

Can you pick it up in Dunnes/Tesco easily enough?
                                                                                                  It's hard to describe, it's kind of a honey like taste I suppose.

It's used for coloring and flavor in the paella. Gives the rice a lovely yellow colour.

You can get it in Tesco for 2.99. You'll be astounded by how small a quantity you get(it is the most expensive herb in the world after all!) but you only need maybe 6 strands for the dish. I'd say a single pack would get you 4-5 paella's np.

Comment

It's used for coloring and flavor in the paella. Gives the rice a lovely yellow colour.

You can get it in Tesco for 2.99. You'll be astounded by how small a quantity you get(it is the most expensive herb in the world after all!) but you only need maybe 6 strands for the dish. I'd say a single pack would get you 4-5 paella's np.
                                                                                                    Awesome, I'm going to give that a spin this very night.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                                      Holy fuck - that looks class. i'm defo making this during the week, as i'm planning on gettign the diet back sorted from monday. Have 2 or 3 days to get it done
                                                                                                      Never heard of a shoter sandwich before, i googled it and this came up
                                                                                                      http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...oters-sandwich
                                                                                                      yep that's were I originally got the recipe.
                                                                                                      As posted, I'd usually make it before going camping or going to a festival.
                                                                                                      It's as sexy as fuck and provides flavour, soakage and cool points

Comment

Is it where other spices will be usually or am I looking somewhere else?

Comment

Should be, yeah.

It will look like this;

Comment

Should be, yeah.

It will look like this;

Sweet got it. I lol'd when I saw the amount alright - you weren't kidding!

Only thing I couldn't get was the rice - I presume regular rice won't be too much of a disaster?

Comment

regular rice will be too dry and fluffy afaik, paella rice is small and roundier and sticky i think,
                                                                                                              but if you can't get it then the ordinary stuff will be fine i presume

Comment

Had the real Paella once before in my mate's gaff in Barcelona a couple of years ago. It was rabbit instead of chicken. It was an interesting and absolutely awesome feed tbh and a huge feast.

When my mate's mum asked what traditional Irish dish my ould wan would cook if they went over to Ireland I was kind of embarrassed not to have a definitive answer.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post
                                                                                                                  Had the real Paella once before in my mate's gaff in Barcelona a couple of years ago. It was rabbit instead of chicken. It was an interesting and absolutely awesome feed tbh and a huge feast.

When my mate's mum asked what traditional Irish dish my ould wan would cook if they went over to Ireland I was kind of embarrassed not to have a definitive answer.
                                                                                                                  bacon, spuds and cabbage surely ftw

Comment

Weird, Tesco should sell it. It's where I got it;

Let us know how it turned out Keane.

Comment

Made it tonight in honour of El Classico - it was awesome:

Pics Below:

The prawns are cooling off on the top right, the saffron is diffusing on the left and the chicken is browning away on the bottom right.

SPOILER

After adding the garlic to the chicken I decided to add in a load of bacon bits and some chorizo as well cos I'm a boss

SPOILER

The veg is ready to go (added mushrooms cos I love them)
                                                                                                                      SPOILER

Had to transfer to a big pot because there was too much food!
                                                                                                                      SPOILER

The finished product
                                                                                                                      SPOILER

Was really tasty, ty for the recipe Bryan, I'll be cooking that again.
                                                                                                                      Last edited by Keane; 28-04-11, 15:19.

Comment

Sweetness. Looks terrific. Glad you enjoyed it.

Edit: can't see pics now.
                                                                                                                        Last edited by Moneymaker; 28-04-11, 11:38.

Comment

You'll be astounded by how small a quantity you get(it is the most expensive herb in the world after all!)
                                                                                                                          Most expensive substance in the world if i remember correct
                                                                                                                          Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                                                          yep that's were I originally got the recipe.
                                                                                                                          As posted, I'd usually make it before going camping or going to a festival.
                                                                                                                          It's as sexy as fuck and provides flavour, soakage and cool points
                                                                                                                          Made it last night. For lunch today, don't wanna be a pig so scaled it down slightly. It's prob a reasonable lunched sized portion.
                                                                                                                          Used one scotch fillet steak sliced in half, lots of mushrooms, red onion and shallots all squashed into a crusty roll.
                                                                                                                          I didn't know what to squash it down with so fillled a large pot with water. Pretty handy imo.

The roll was a bit small and realy had to squeeze it in

click for larger pic
                                                                                                                          Attached Files
                                                                                                                          Last edited by Mellor; 28-04-11, 00:40.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X