Tri Training Log

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tri Training Log

Well seeing as I suggested this forum it'd be rude not to post something! I'm not playing any poker consistently over the summer, just bit and pieces here and there, so this won't be a poker log. Some of you may remember I was looking for action on a triathlon related prop bet, didn't get any interest but I've decided to attempt one anyway. Have been keeping a training log on boards, so might as well move it over here. Copy pasta below.

Originally posted by Wreck
    I'm 30 years old, 5ft11 and weigh 11 stone approximately. Currently I play a friendly game of basketball twice a week, and would rate my level of fitness as pretty low. I've never done anything like this before, never run, cycled or swam in a race.
    So I've decided to enter the Achill Roar and as it's about eleven weeks away I guess it's time to start training in earnest. I've been doing a bit of running over the last few weeks (7K in about 40 mins four times) and went out for my first bike ride over the weekend (17K in about 50 mins), so I'm hoping this log will help me bring a bit of structure to my training and also help me track my progress. At the moment the goal is to complete the Sprint distance in under 2hr30, but this may change over the next few weeks depending on my times in training.

Tonight I'm planning to go out for a run, and may try to increase the distance from 7k to about 9k depending on how my legs feel after basketball last night.
    9k in 50:35 - felt good starting out but two thirds of the way through it was a massive struggle. Ended up having to slow down to a walk for about 30 secs, but managed to get going again. Wasn't helped by the heat and humidity this evening, sweated a bucket-load. I also failed to take into account that as well as adding a couple of ks to my distance the new route included a pretty long climb. Happy enough with the run though, but obviously lots of room for improvement.

Aiming to do a 20k cycle tomorrow, just hope my legs aren't too stiff in the morning!
    After finding out my basketball game tomorrow is cancelled and reading a few more logs etc., I decided on a change of plan tonight - my first dual training session. Did 9k on the bike in 25 mins, had planned to go further but had some problems with a loose saddle and had to turn back early, had to take it easy on the way back in too, as I was in danger of coming off the bike.

Followed this with a 5k run in 24:23, I'm actually amazed at this time because I went out so slowly. I'd read how the shift from the bike to running can be pretty difficult, but I didn't quite expect the level of effort required to get going, especially after a cycle that wasn't particularly taxing.

Not sure what the best plan is for tomorrow, will probably try a 25k cycle, but it depends on how I feel as I have a tag rugby semi on Thursday and don't want to tire myself out.

I saw Belpark tri club mentioned in another thread and think I might join up and go down for a few interval sessions and possibly some longer cycles after a couple more weeks of training on my own. I do enjoy the solitude of being out solo, but I'm pretty competitive by nature and maybe training with others will drive me that little bit harder.
    10k cycle in 30 mins tonight, didn't feel great going out but now wish I had done more as it seems like nothing.
    Tag rugby last night, didn't play well and we lost but it was a decent work-out. Supposed to be a rest day today but have decided not to go out tonight so may train instead.
    Decided to go for a run last night, 9k in 49:16, shaved a minute off my time from earlier in the week. Felt quite strong at the finish, pretty happy with that especially considering I've been exercising for 9 days in a row now. Can feel it in my legs though this morning, today is definitely a rest day. Looking forward to basketball tomorrow.
    Yesterday turned out to be a bit of a disaster, only gt 3 hours sleep, missed basketball due to getting delayed and was too tired to motivate myself into going out for a run to make up for it. Still pretty tired today, but planning on a 9K run this evening.

Also I should have put this in the op, but I'd welcome any comments on my training and progress, this is all very new to me so I've no idea if I'm training properly or not!
    9K run last night, felt terrible going out and didn't feel comfortable at any point on the run. Got a stitch about 3/4s of the way through and had to slow right down. Was pretty amazed to find I'd finished in 47:52, nearly 90 seconds faster then on Friday!

Last night was my first time trying out my new runners, got the gait analysis done in Amphibian King - can't recommend it highly enough, the girl was really helpful and spent lots of time explaining everything to me and the new runners felt great last night.

Tonight I'm planning a medium length cycle followed by a short run.
    9k cycle followed by a 5k run last night, messed up my timing on the cycle so calling it 25 mins, run as in 23.55 which is 30 sec improvement on my last one of these, and the route I took is a little bit longer too.

Planned a 20k cycle for this evening, but having people over for dinner and the football so depends how quickly I can prep everything this evening.
    Went for a quick cycle last night, managed 9k in about 25 mins.

Tag rugby tonight, last game of the season, looking forward to it.
    Tag was cancelled last night, other team pulled out. Went for a quick 7k run instead before hitting the pub to celebrate our win by default. Had a time of 35:37 - my fastest yet over this distance - but my pacing was all over the place, went out way too fast and ended up jogging really slowly for the last 1k or so. I guess pacing is something that I will get better at the more I run, but have to say at the moment I'm finding it difficult.

Hoping to go swimming tonight depending on what time I get out of work at, if too late will go for a cycle.
    So didn't get out of work on time on Friday to go swimming, and even worse I ended up going straight out on the piss which carried on into Saturday night! So I got two rest days over the weekend . Played basketball on Sunday evening which was fun and managed to sweat most of the weekend's excesses out of me.

Planning a run tonight, 10k for the first time.
    10k last night in 53:47, really happy with this. This is the longest I've ever run, and I managed to run it at roughly the same pace I've run my fastest 9k in. I also felt super strong at the end, and don't seem too tired today.

Tonight I'm either going swimming or going for cycle, I've a few things on this evening and it depends on how they pan out.
    And that brings up to date. If anyone has any advice or comments on my training please feel free, I've zero experience at this!
    "I believe the target of anything in life should be to do it so well that it becomes art. You read a book and the writer touches something in you that you would not have brought out of yourself. He makes you discover something interesting in your life. If you are living like an animal, what is the point? What makes the day interesting is that we try to transform it into something that is close to art." - Arsene Wenger

good luck with it Wreck!

just one thought; should you really be playing twisting\turning\contact type sports while in training for a triathalon?
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
      good luck with it Wreck!

just one thought; should you really be playing twisting\turning\contact type sports while in training for a triathalon?
      Yeah probably true, but I enjoy the basketball and tag as well. Also means I get to keep my fast-twitch muscles fibers ticking over. If I was doing this as a prop bet there's no way I'd be risking the extra chance of injuries, but seeing as I'm not I may as well enjoy it!
      "I believe the target of anything in life should be to do it so well that it becomes art. You read a book and the writer touches something in you that you would not have brought out of yourself. He makes you discover something interesting in your life. If you are living like an animal, what is the point? What makes the day interesting is that we try to transform it into something that is close to art." - Arsene Wenger

Comment

Went for my first swim last night, was much much tougher than I had hoped. Managed 100 meters front crawl before doing a further 150 meters of mainly breast stroke. Had to take a couple of lengthy breaks after the first 100 meters too. Definitely going to have to work hard on this, will probably try to concentrate on swimming for the next few weeks. Hopefully if I can get my breathing technique right I'll be able to get a bit more distance.

Playing tag rugby tonight, have signed up for a new league. Probably would have been better off concentrating on tri training but somehow got roped in! May go for some interval running afterwards depending on how tiring the match is.

Comment

Tag last night was a good work out, legs are actually a bit stiff today which hasn't happened in ages. We won as well which always helps. I got a knock on my throat and it's pretty sore, but aside from making me hoarse I don't think it'll affect my training.

Tonight will be either a 16k cycle or a swim, provided I can get out of the office in time.

Comment

Didn't get home from work until late, was pretty tired and it was raining but I forced myself out for a cycle. Only did 10k in about 25 minutes but it's better than nothing.

Not sure what I'm up to tonight, may take a rest day as it's been a long week and my throat is still really painful.

Comment

Not a great weekend training wise, played basketball on Sunday which was fun but we only had numbers for half-court so not a great work-out. No other training over the weekend which is bad, have to get it sorted out.

This week I'm going to be concentrating on cycling and swimming, tonight I'm my cycling to the pool and back with a swim in between.

Comment

Cycled to the pool and back last night, about 4K each way so tried to sprint it as hard as I could. In the pool I tried to concentrate on my technique and my breathing. Was definitely an improvement on last time, although I'm still way off the required distance. Once again while in the pool I felt absolutely shattered, but by the time I was changed I felt grand. Going to have to really work at this, or else there is no chance I'll be able to swim the 400m come September.

With that in mind I'm off to the pool again tonight. Going to spend a bit of time researching the best way for me to increase the distance and bring a bit more structure to my swim sessions.

Comment

Just to let ya know Im following this so don't lay off with the updates.

Fair balls to ya for getting up and doing something. Hope you nail the tri.
                  This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                  All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                  The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

+ 1, keeping an eye on you here as I try to reach some semblence of fitness myself, really hate running, but am a keen cyclist and swimmer, and have been doing a lot of both in the past month. Will be aiming to get un fat and un unfit first, and then work towards maybe a triathalon too.

Comment

Cycled to pool and back again last night, was very happy with my swim. I didn't manage to keep track of exactly how far I swam but it was a good deal further than the first two sessions, and with much fewer and shorter breaks along the way. Was shattered leaving the pool again, but this time it stayed with me the whole way home, which I guess means I got a much better work out. I'm also really looking forward to my next swimming session, something I never thought I'd say after the first time.

Tag rugby tonight, really looking forward to it, my legs are itching for a good run around!

Thanks for the feedback guys, if anyone is thinking of doing something like this all I can say is get out and do it. I can't tell you how much I've started to enjoy the training, and definitely looking forward to the race.

Comment

Tag rugby last night, we won, didn't play well, didn't get a great run-out as we had too many players down.

Not sure what I'm doing tonight, had planned to go to the pool again but a few things have come up so may go for a run instead.

Comment

Cycled to pool and back last night, decent enough session although I had to finish about 10 minutes early due to bad cramps in my legs. It as pretty weird, as soon as I got in the pool my foot cramped up and I got intermittent cramps in my lower legs the whole way through the session, eventually it was too bad to continue. I've no idea what caused this, and this is first time I've got any kind of cramps since I started training. Otherwise the session was quite good, probably an improvement on the last time. I think I'll try and fit in three swims again for the next two weeks, and hopefully will continue to improve. I'm now pretty confident that by the time September rolls around I'll be able to at least finish the swim.

Tonight I want to go for a run, but I'd probably be better off going for a long cycle. Will see how I feel after work.

Comment

So eh another alcohol fueled weekend totally messed up my training, didn't do anything for four days! That's the last one of those for a while though, but I'm still going to have to work hard to make up for it.

Got back on track last night with a short cycle and a swim, swim went pretty well, was a good work out, my arms felt like they were on fire afterwards. Tag rugby tonight, should be good.

Comment

enjoyed reading the updates so far, keep it up!
                              Disaster - Dreamcrusher

Comment

Tag last night, we totally hammered the other team which wasn't ideal, the game was very stop start and didn't really get much of a run out aside from a couple of longish sprints. I also didn't score any tries, which is pretty lolbad.

Went for a short cycle and a swim this evening. I had problems with cramps in my feet again, started as soon as I got in the pool and eventually led to me getting out about 15 mins early once they moved up my legs and became more persistent. It's pretty weird, going to try and find out what's causing it. Otherwise the swim itself went pretty well, did over 300m with minimal breaks followed by another 200m or so with breaks after every coupe of lengths.

Moving apartments tomorrow evening so hoping to get out for a run at some point.

Comment

Didn't get a chance to do anything on Friday evening, for once not due to my hectic social life, but because moving apartments was a real chore. Went for a long cycle yesterday, out to Powerscourt and back, approximately 45k. That's nearly three times further than I've ever cycled before. We did it at leisurely pace, and stopped for a coffee half-way, but it was still a decent work-out. Have to say I really enjoyed it, and it was nice to be out training with someone else for a change. I was totally wrecked afterwards, but surprisingly I'm not in any pain today (aside from the hangover from last night).

Basketball this evening, should be good, hope we get enough numbers for a decent game.

Comment

Basketball on Sunday was excellent, really good work out and thoroughly enjoyed it. Went for a cycle yesterday, was enjoyable but due to a number of factors wasn't great training.

Planning to go for a swim this evening.

Comment

Cycled to the pool and back last night. Swim went very well, managed 1,000 metres with little or no breaks - the only times I paused was because the pool was pretty busy last night, not due to feeling tired. Around the 750m mark I felt amazing and was actually thinking I could keep going forever! Feet cramped up towards the end, but it was normal cramp not like the last few times. Was absolutely wrecked after and slept like a baby last night.

Tag rugby tonight, we've been moved into the A league so expecting a much tougher few weeks. Looking forward to it though.

Comment

Tag was disastrous, lost to a try in the last minute despite being lots of points up at one point and the better team by a good bit. Stupid mistakes and some terrible calls from the ref did us in the end. Was a decent work out, but felt totally deflated afterwards.

Going swimming tonight, hoping to match Tuesday's effort.

Comment

Swim last night started well, but got cramp in my calf after about 550 metres, and had to take a 5 minute break to stretch it out. Up till then I had swum pretty solidly. I finished off the 1,000 meters pretty slowly, taking breaths after each length, but at least I managed to finish it. When I got out of the pool my feet were crippled with cramp for the first few minutes, very irritating and somewhat sore. Took it easy on the cycle home, but somehow managed to puncture both tyres.

Rest tonight, as I've a tag tournament tomorrow followed by a cycle and basketball on Sunday.

Comment

What times are you doing your swims in? What kind of pace?

I'm actually doing pretty similar training but with a good mix of weights thrown in recently, and haven't been dedicating enough time to swimming. I find it a lot easier when there is someone else of similar or better standards in the lane with you, and you use them as a pace maker.

Comment

Rest day Friday. Played a tag tournament yesterday, was good fun, pretty wrecked afterwards. Somehow I've agreed to go on an off-road run this morning, really not in the mood for it. Also playing basketball this evening, so I'm going to be pretty tired tomorrow!

Originally posted by emmet02 View Post
                                              What times are you doing your swims in? What kind of pace?

I'm actually doing pretty similar training but with a good mix of weights thrown in recently, and haven't been dedicating enough time to swimming. I find it a lot easier when there is someone else of similar or better standards in the lane with you, and you use them as a pace maker.
                                              Not sure abut times tbh, all I'm trying to do at the moment is swim as far as I can. I think I did the first 500 metres on Thursday in about 15 minutes, but that could be way off.

Comment

I'm 60 and cycle occasionally. From reading the posts above you are (1) not cycling far enough (2) not cycling fast enough.

I don't know what bike you use or what routes you cycle (flat or hilly).

To get the best out of yourself you need a road bike (drop handlebars) with a good range of gears, proper cycling clothing (bib shorts, short sleeve cycling jersey, shoes with cleats). And the best time saver is narrow cycling tyres pumped up to about 120 psi with a track pump (cost about €30: this can speed you up by 15%). Good drinks bottles on the frame with sports drinks (usually made from a powder) are also good.

Of course your bike should be fitted with a cycle computer to record accurately distance, time, average speed. You can get a cheap one for less than €20. You seem to be guessing time and distance.
                                                Last edited by kincsem; 08-08-10, 14:56.

Comment

Originally posted by kincsem View Post
                                                  I'm 60 and cycle occasionally. From reading the posts above you are (1) not cycling far enough (2) not cycling fast enough.

I don't know what bike you use or what routes you cycle (flat or hilly).

To get the best out of yourself you need a road bike (drop handlebars) with a good range of gears, proper cycling clothing (bib shorts, short sleeve cycling jersey, shoes with cleats). And the best time saver is narrow cycling tyres pumped up to about 120 psi with a track pump (cost about €30: this can speed you up by 15%). Good drinks bottles on the frame with sports drinks (usually made from a powder) are also good.

Of course your bike should be fitted with a cycle computer to record accurately distance, time, average speed. You can get a cheap one for less than €20. You seem to be guessing time and distance.
                                                  You are probably right, my cycling training has been a little haphazard. I have an ok road bike, but haven't got around to getting shorts etc. yet. I really am not concerned with times, my cycles are just about covering distance at the moment. Over the next few weeks I'll be focusing more on increasing my speed etc., and will pick up a cycle computer and some other bits and pieces. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Ok the weekend has really taken it out of my legs, they feel like they are filled with lead and every step hurts! The run up the mountains was great, I went with a few people who are doing Gaelforce next week and they really pushed me. I finished about 10 minutes behind them, but I'm pretty sure that if I hadn't been hungover and already in pain from tag the day before I could have kept up with them. It was great practice for the race, found some aspects of off-road running very difficult. The downhill was absolutely killer for me, I had to take it really slow as I wasn't comfortable with it and was worried about slipping. I reckon a few more practice sessions will see a big improvement.

I then played basketball in the evening, was tough going. We only had 5 players so played 3v2 full court, which meant an awful lot of running. Did enjoy it though. The cycle home was pretty tough though!

I'm considering either a cycle or a swim this evening, want to see how my legs feel later before deciding.

Comment

Originally posted by Wreck View Post
                                                      Ok the weekend has really taken it out of my legs, they feel like they are filled with lead and every step hurts! The run up the mountains was great, I went with a few people who are doing Gaelforce next week and they really pushed me. I finished about 10 minutes behind them, but I'm pretty sure that if I hadn't been hungover and already in pain from tag the day before I could have kept up with them. It was great practice for the race, found some aspects of off-road running very difficult. The downhill was absolutely killer for me, I had to take it really slow as I wasn't comfortable with it and was worried about slipping. I reckon a few more practice sessions will see a big improvement.

I then played basketball in the evening, was tough going. We only had 5 players so played 3v2 full court, which meant an awful lot of running. Did enjoy it though. The cycle home was pretty tough though!

I'm considering either a cycle or a swim this evening, want to see how my legs feel later before deciding.
                                                      I always find a gentle recovery run for about 20 minutes works wonders to clear up the lactic acid in the legs.

Comment

Originally posted by jackyback View Post
                                                        I always find a gentle recovery run for about 20 minutes works wonders to clear up the lactic acid in the legs.
                                                        Thanks for this, tried it out last night and it seemed to work.

Went for a short recovery run, 3k in 20 mins before a cycle last night, 13K in 35 mins. Legs felt ok on the bike but I didn't want to overdo it. They are a bit sore again today, but should be fine by this evening.

Apparently I agreed to do some outdoor fitness class tonight, so I'm going to go to that and than hopefully get a swim in afterwards.

Comment

Turned out the class was basically a boxing fitness class, lots of different press-ups, sit-ups and squats etc., with some pad work for the last 20 minutes. My upper body strength is abysmal, and my flexibility is pretty bad too. Not surprising really as I haven't done anything like that since I stopped martial arts training over six years ago. It was good work-out, and I did enjoy it, and while not specifically geared towards the triathlon I think this kind of core training could be beneficial.

Possibly light-headed from all the press-ups, I decided to cycle straight to the pool after the class. The swim went really well, 1K in 40 minutes. Started off very tough, but once I got into a rhythm I started to feel really good. It was only when I got out that the pain in my arms really hit me, struggled to dress myself!

Tag rugby tonight, looking to get back to winning ways after last week's blip.

Comment

Our opponents didn't show for tag last night so we ended up playing a 40 minute game amongst ourselves, was a lot of fun and as there were no subs was a much tougher workout then a normal game.

I'm not sure what training I'm doing this evening yet, may turn out to be a rest day as I've a few things I have to do.

Comment

Jesus, now I know why you never stop running at basketball! Interesting stuff to read, keep posting plz.

Have you asked anyone who does similar triathlon type stuff if/how a once a week dedicated weights workout might help with the endurance/distance stuff you are concentrating on?

Comment

Originally posted by Lafortezza View Post
                                                                Jesus, now I know why you never stop running at basketball! Interesting stuff to read, keep posting plz.

Have you asked anyone who does similar triathlon type stuff if/how a once a week dedicated weights workout might help with the endurance/distance stuff you are concentrating on?
                                                                The reason I never stop running at basketball is that you won't let me!

I've been talking to a few guys about sessions in the gym, and it would definitely help, but the problem is I just don't have the time at the moment. I'm going to look into doing a couple of days weights per week over the winter, as I'm now planning on running lots more races next season.

Comment

Haven't posted for a few days as I've been pretty busy, but have being keeping up with the training. Went for my first open water swim on Friday, was terrible, couldn't get into the swing of it at all. Played basketball and went for a short cycle on Sunday. Did a second open-water swim last night, went with a friend and it was much better, although didn't swim anything like as well as I have been in the pool. Followed that with a 7k run, just to keep the legs working. Planning a cycle and maybe another short run this evening.

The other news is I've decided to do Gaelforce this Saturday, 70k of running cycling and kayaking. It was a pretty rash decision that I will no doubt come to regret! I'm going to try and aim for about 6 hours, but I'm just using it as training/practice for Achill, which is still the main goal.

Comment

Ended up doing a 12k run last night in just under an hour, was a bit faster then I had planned but felt very good. Had intended going for a cycle but I managed to mess up my bike trying to get it ready for GF!

Tonight is tag, and I think I'm also playing a game of squash. Going to very much take it easy in both, have no intention of picking up an injury at this stage.

Comment

Just the tag last night, we were well ahead at half time despite having a player sin-binned so was able to take it nice and easy. Legs are still a little tight today though. Think it'll be a short cycle and a swim this evening, provided I can get my tyres sorted out in time.

Comment

Yesterday was a short cycle only, basically to make sure the new tyres were ok on the bike. Got up at 6.15 this morning for breakfast and went for a slow 5k jog an hour later just to give the body a chance to adapt for tomorrow.

Tomorrow is Gaelforce, very nervous and excited about it now. Really would love just to be at the start line right no, I've always hated the build up to matches etc. Hoping to do it in less than six hours, although this is just a guesstimate based on what others are aiming for. To be honest I'll be delighted if I make it through the race feeling I put in a good effort.

Comment

So yesterday was Gaelforce in 8:41, which is obviously well outside the 6 hours I was aiming for, and I'm very disappointed with this time. However, there were a number of reasons for the poor time, and I'm actually quite pleased to have finished at all. I'm not going to do a trip report at the moment as I'm too wrecked, might write it up tomorrow.

The reason for running yesterday as practice/training for Achill, and in that sense it was a big success. I'm now 100% confident I can go all out for the Roar and be able to finish, and I also think I should be able to manage it in 2hr10.

Comment

Ok so trip report for Gaelforce to follow, probably too long and boring for anyone to actually read but at least I'll be able to look back on it at a later stage.

Friday waiting to go down was awful, was filled with nervous excitement and my lift got delayed in work so we didn't actually leave Dublin till after 16.00. One of my friends who had already left rang me saying she was backing out of doing it, but eventually she agreed to go ahead when I said I'd run it with her, provided she could get into my wave. To be honest I was delighted to have someone to run it with as I'd no idea what to expect, and didn't know anyone else who was starting in my wave.

Because we ended up leaving late, we didn't get to stop for a meal on the way down as we were afraid of missing the registration cut-off. In the end we made it down in good time and the registration went pretty smoothly. By the time we got to Westport itself it was around 22.00 so decided just to get a sandwich in the garage. Unfortunately I didn't get to eat it as when I got to the hostel I was staying in I basically went straight to bed. When I got into my room the three others were already asleep and I didn't want to disturb anyone's race prep so I just put my bag in the corner and went to bed. Two big mistakes here - not eating and not making sure I had everything ready for the morning.

Had a pretty restless night, finally dozed off around 01.00. My wave had to be at the bus for 07.00 so was planning to get up around 06.15. Unfortunately, the people who were on the 5.30 bus were extremely obnoxious, so I (and probably everyone else in the hostel) was awake at 04.00 and had to listen to people laughing, talking out loud and actually running up and down the hallway. I understand people being excited, but these gimps had no regard for anyone else. Once the first wave left thing quietened down a good bit, probably because everyone else was aware just how annoying the first wave was.

There was no getting back to sleep for me so I decided to get up and 05.45 and try to eat as much as possible - was a good call as I spent about half an hour eating, and I think if I hadn't done this I may not have made it through the day. (Spoiler is possibly too much information)
                                                                            SPOILER
                                                                            I also tried to take a dump as I'm pretty regular about needing one around 08.30 every morning and would be on the start line at that time - this did not work out however.
                                                                            There was still one person asleep in my room so I just grabbed all my stuff and went to the bathroom to put on my gear and check over my supplies for the day - two of my bananas had been squashed and were destroyed, and I forgot to put in two energy bars - again this was stuff I should have checked the night before.

Got down to the bus and met my friend, bus journey was good, was great to have someone to talk to. Got down to near the start line for about 08.10, but we were delayed starting until 08.50 - this would normally annoy the fuck out of me but there was great camaraderie among all the competitors so it was actually a bit of a laugh. Rush of adrenaline as we were called to the start line and big cheer once the hooter went.

I found the first 12k run really easy. In hindsight we didn't go hard enough, but I was worried about going too fast and being wrecked for the rest of the race. The first section was on road, and not pounding this out was a mistake, as there were plenty of spots on the off-road section that you had to take slowly which would have been a chance to recuperate. We did the run in 1.54, but I could easily have knocked half an hour off this and been fine.

Next section was the kayaks, which was just a joke to be honest. My friend and I did it in under 12 minutes, and neither of us had any kayak experience to speak of. It was just so easy compared to the rest of the race, it seems like a gimmick to me. My back was a little sore coming off, but I think that was due to the way I sat more than anything else.

This was followed by a 4k bog run, which again I found pretty easy, although there was a danger of twisting an ankle. Did it in 30 mins, but again could probably have shaved 10 minutes off this.

Got to the bikes in 02.51 in total, which was about 15 mins slower than I had hoped but still fine. From then everything started going wrong. First off the brakes on my back wheel must have come lose on the trip down, as the wheel was constantly rubbing against it. Managed to get them straightened a little bit, but they kept going back all through out the rest of the day, which was obviously a bit of a hindrance.

Once I got on the bike I felt really good, my legs were fine. This 33k cycle was the part of the race I was most worried about, but starting out I was pretty confident. Again we made the mistake of not pushing hard enough on good surfaces and roads. About 20 minutes in I hit a pothole and punctured my back wheel. Just then it started lashing rain, had been lovely up till then. Took me almost half an hour to change the tube as the wheel had become jammed when I went over the pothole. My friend stayed to help me, and I felt really bad for delaying her, but I honestly think if she hadn't waited I would have packed the race in there and then. Was so frustrating trying to get the wheel off in the rain, and my hands were becoming numb. Eventually managed it, got the new tube on and we were off again.

We had a good stretch of decent cycling over the next 15k or so, I stopped to fix my breaks at one point and ended up having to help another guy with a puncture, only took about 10 minutes though. I left my pump with him as I wanted to try and catch back up with my friend, which I eventually did, just before the last section of road before the path to Croagh Patrick. This was pretty terrible for cycling on, and I got a second puncture - no idea how, as I was trying to take it easy and didn't notice hitting anything. I let my friend go on so that I wouldn't be delaying her anymore, fixed it in about 10 minutes with the lend of a pump from someone else. At that stage I was about 3k from Croagh Patrick, and I ended up running with the bike for at least 2k of this as I couldn't afford another puncture - no more spare tubes. All in all this 35k cycle took me 2hr56, an absolutely ridiculously slow time. I reckon the punctures and break problems cost me about an hour in total on this section, and tactics probably another 30 minutes.

Got to Croagh Patrick and started pounding up it in an attempt to catch up with my friend, I'm sure people thought I was mad sprinting past them but I actually felt fine at that stage. Also I was just delighted to be off the bike and not be worrying about punctures for a while. When I caught up with her about a third of the way up she was pretty tired, so ended up taking it quite slowly from then on. Due to my lack of prep in the morning, we had run out of food at this stage, and although I was fine and had plenty of energy, she was struggling big time. About 3/4s of the way up I honestly thought she was going to pack it in, she looked so pale and was complaining of dizziness. Took a little breather, and I bumped into a girl who was staying in the hostel with me who I had met at breakfast, and she supplied us with some food. We pushed on to the top and it was great to get up there. There was no mist or clouds at that stage so we had a full panoramic view of the area and it was amazing.

Managed to get some more food for my friend, and I shared out some drinks with others who had left theirs down with the bikes. Seemed to do the trick for my friend, as she was much livelier on the way back down. She broke her ankle a while back, and really struggled on the descent as a result of this, so again we took it pretty slowly. I went up and down in just under two hours, on my own I reckon I would have done it in 40 minutes less, but there was a pretty good chance I wouldn't have made it past the first puncture on my own. All in all I really enjoyed Croagh Patrick, only had two issues. I felt it was quite dangerous having so many people on the mountain at one time, especially as there were quite a few gimps who didn't take other people into consideration. I understand it's a race, and fair enough if you want to risk your own body on the descent, but knocking stones into others and shoving past people is really not on. My second problem was that my hands were totally numb by the time I got down, I couldn't even buckle my helmet - will definitely put the gloves on next time!

Got onto to the bikes for the final 14k cycle, and I was absolutely petrified of another puncture. I guess I ran about 3k of this pushing the bike over the crap surfaces. Along the way I bumped into the girl who had given us the food on CP, she was struggling with her own puncture so I stopped to help her - at this stage I was quite the expert so only took about 10 minutes. Once I got on to the better surface for the last 8k or so I absolutely pounded it out, I reckon I passed at least 30 or so people. Got off the bike and started off on the final run, which I thought was a 100 metre dash, so I again I sprinted it, turned out it was actually 800 metres, but I was well able to keep up the pace and past another ten or so people. Over the last section of the cycle and run I was pretty delighted to find that I still had plenty left in the legs despite being on the go for over so long.

So I finished in 08.55, which is nowhere near what I wanted, and I am disappointed with this time. I'm especially disappointed that I didn't push harder on the runs. But I'm also delighted that I actually finished, and overall I really enjoyed the race. I also had a great laugh doing it with a friend beside me, I think over 9 hours on my own would have driven me insane! And experience wise it was brilliant, I've learned an awful lot for the Achill Roar next month.

I thought overall the race was really well organised, everyone including the marshals, locals, tourists and competitors were amazingly enthusiastic and supportive. Was a super experience. Yesterday thoughts of punctures on the bike were putting me off doing it again, but today I'm already planning training and tactics for next year!
                                                                            Last edited by Wreck; 23-08-10, 19:08.

Comment

#39
                                                                              Well done on finishing it.

Proper prep the night before and a running mate nearer your own level and you would have shaved a lot of time off.
                                                                              Last edited by Mike; 23-08-10, 12:41.

Comment

#40
                                                                                Congratulations on completing it. You'll no doubt pick up time on your next event and continuously from there, you had a lot of misfortune which I'd guess is unlikely to happen again and you'll be have picked up tips on preparation etc which will stand you in good stead.
                                                                                Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

#41
                                                                                  What tires do you have on the bike Wreck?

Armadillos would be a good purchase imo, kevlar reinforcement really means you cut down on punctures.

I paid €100 for a set of them two years ago, and use the bike daily, punctures are few and far between for the most part.

Comment

#42
                                                                                    Originally posted by emmet02 View Post
                                                                                    What tires do you have on the bike Wreck?

Armadillos would be a good purchase imo, kevlar reinforcement really means you cut down on punctures.

I paid €100 for a set of them two years ago, and use the bike daily, punctures are few and far between for the most part.
                                                                                    I put Continental Gator Skins on the bike on Thursday specifically as puncture prevention for the race. Didn't quite work out obviously but they came highly recommended.
                                                                                    Last edited by Wreck; 23-08-10, 19:39.

Comment

#43
                                                                                      Thats pretty disappointing performance from them, Armadillos > Gator Skins, but not by a huge amount I don't think.

Perhaps your rims have a scrape / sharp edge on the inside?

Comment

#44
                                                                                        Good report.

Gatorskins are a good choice as you will be more helped by no punctures than by high speed tyres. I use them. Bad luck with the punctures. It sounds like need to practice changes.

Tips:
                                                                                        Back wheel: When you puncture it is best to change gear and have the chain on the small chainwheel on the front and the smallest sprocket on the back. This makes it easier to remove the back wheel.

With the wheel out, get the tyre over the rim using three tyre levers (practice at home). The tyre remains on the rim, one bead in the wheel well, one bead over the rim. Pull out the tube (leaving the nozzle in place) and find where it is punctured. If you know where the inner tube is damaged you will know where the tyre is breached. Feel inside the tyre to see if there is a nail, tack, glass, and remove it (be careful).

Its best to carry two new inner tubes and for speed just replace the old tube with a new tube. Inflate the inner tube a little before you put the tyre back on the rim. The air gives the inner tube shape and makes it easier to push it inside the tyre. Now you only have to get one bead of the tyre over the rim. And of course then inflate the tyre properly.

Apologies if you already know this.

Comment

#45
                                                                                          Originally posted by kincsem View Post
                                                                                          Good report.

Gatorskins are a good choice as you will be more helped by no punctures than by high speed tyres. I use them. Bad luck with the punctures. It sounds like need to practice changes.

Tips:
                                                                                          Back wheel: When you puncture it is best to change gear and have the chain on the small chainwheel on the front and the smallest sprocket on the back. This makes it easier to remove the back wheel.

With the wheel out, get the tyre over the rim using three tyre levers (practice at home). The tyre remains on the rim, one bead in the wheel well, one bead over the rim. Pull out the tube (leaving the nozzle in place) and find where it is punctured. If you know where the inner tube is damaged you will know where the tyre is breached. Feel inside the tyre to see if there is a nail, tack, glass, and remove it (be careful).

Its best to carry two new inner tubes and for speed just replace the old tube with a new tube. Inflate the inner tube a little before you put the tyre back on the rim. The air gives the inner tube shape and makes it easier to push it inside the tyre. Now you only have to get one bead of the tyre over the rim. And of course then inflate the tyre properly.

Apologies if you already know this.
                                                                                          No need to apologise man, I'll gratefully accept all advice! I have the changes pretty much down now, do it pretty much exactly as you describe, although I hadn't coped changing the gears for the back wheel.

Comment

#46
                                                                                            So after two days recovering from Gaelforce on Sunday and Monday, I eased myself back into training by going to that fitness class again, figured it wouldn't be too tough on the legs. Was a good workout, a little stiff today but nothing that won't clear up once the adrenalin gets pumping again.

Tonight is tag, followed by some interval training.

Comment

#47
                                                                                              Tag last night was good, we've developed into a decent team and now look like we may top the league. Took a 30 min break afterwards and then went into some interval sprints 3 set of 7 reps sprinting half the pitch, jogging to the line far line and starting again within 30 secs of the start of the previous sprint. Was tough going, but I lasted pretty well. Finished up with a couple of laps of the track, 2.5k in 12 mins. Feel like it was one of my better work-outs.

Tonight I'm going swimming in the sea at Seapoint followed by a run.

Comment

#48
                                                                                                Yeah, so after a great session on Wednesday last night was a disaster. Got to Seapoint and the tide was way out, after wading for a good ten minutes the water was still only just above my knees. Decided it was too dodgy going out any further so didn't get a swim. Not a totally wasted trip as at least I'll know to check the tide times before going again, and also got a bit more accustomed to the open water, it's never as cold as I think it's going to be. Run was terrible as well, legs were pretty sore, so never really got going.

Today is my birthday! So not sure if I'll have time to do anything this evening. If I get out of work early I think I'll try for a 10k run. Either way I have a nice triathlon training session planned for Saturday, so won't be drinking too much tonight.

Comment

#49
                                                                                                  Ended up getting roped into a basketball game last night after work, was good fun and a good run out. Lost track of time though so ended up being half an hour late for my own birthday dinner, was pretty embarrassing!

Have a good session planned for today with a couple of friends, cycle to Seapoint for a swim, then on out to Kiliney for a hill run and a cycle back in. Just waiting for their hangovers to clear up so we can go!

Comment

#50
                                                                                                    You're like some sort of machine! A hangover for me these days mean the following day is a total write off.
                                                                                                    What sort of diet do you have? Include booze also plz.

Comment

#51
                                                                                                      Yesterday was good, cycled 25k in total, swam approx 500m in the sea and did a 30 min run around Kiliney hill. It wasn't quite as intensive as I had planned, but still good.

Basketball this evening, hope we get some more players down!

Comment

#52
                                                                                                        Originally posted by Lafortezza View Post
                                                                                                        You're like some sort of machine! A hangover for me these days mean the following day is a total write off.
                                                                                                        What sort of diet do you have? Include booze also plz.
                                                                                                        My diet is actually pretty bad, although I have been trying to make it better. Weekends are are still ridiculous though.

Monday to Friday is pretty simple.

Breakfast: Pint of water, bowl of museli, yougurt, fruit (usually an orange) and coffee.
                                                                                                        11.00 - green tea and a banana
                                                                                                        Lunch - either a brown bread sandwich or a wrap, chicken would be the staple filling and then some other stuff - sweetcorn, peppers, coleslaw etc. Another pint of water and some fruit.
                                                                                                        4.00 - green tea
                                                                                                        6.00 - banana or nuts or something - just to tide me over for whatever training I'm doing.
                                                                                                        Dinner - I'm eating very ate these days, usually around 10.00, this means that ease of cooking is the most important factor for me these days. I cook most evenings but occasionally I'll be too wrecked and will have a microwave dinner. When I cook it'll be either chicken/beef stir fry, or some pasta dish, or an omelette with potatoes. Everything will have onions/peppers/tomatoes in it. I drink a pint of water with every meal and sip throughout the rest of the day

Weekends are all over the place, mainly due to boozing! I try to make myself have museli for breakfast, but more often then not it'll be water and a panadol I usually end up skipping at least one of lunch or dinner on Saturdays, tend to eat pub grub etc. while drinking, and almost always get a takeaway on Sunday evenings. Alcohol consumption is shameful tbh, will be at least eight pints on both Friday and Saturday, followed by shots and cocktails etc. on at least one of those nights. Amazingly, after years of suffering from the vilest hangovers know to man, I'm actually a lot better the morning after these days, think it may because I'm trying to keep myself well hydrated throughout the week.

Yeah so terrible diet, but to be honest I'm not overly concerned. I have plenty of energy and am nowhere near being over weight.

Comment

#53
                                                                                                          Basketball last night, was 3v3 full court for an hour so a good run out. Had planned a run afterwards but my legs weren't really up for it so went for a nice long walk instead.

Not sure what I'm doing this evening yet.

Comment

#54
                                                                                                            Tore my quad at tag tonight, was late getting there and didn't warm up properly. Race is in ten days, at the moment it feel like I won't make it in time. I'm pretty much devastated! I'm RICEing it as best I can, and just hoping that it won't feel too bad in a couple of days.

Comment

#55
                                                                                                              it coulkd be just a strain, or DOMS, you'll know in a day or too and can get back training or admit that you won't make it and rest to recover

Comment

#56
                                                                                                                Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                                                it coulkd be just a strain, or DOMS, you'll know in a day or too and can get back training or admit that you won't make it and rest to recover
                                                                                                                Well it's definitely not DOMS, chance it may just be a strain though. It doesn't appear to be swollen but as it's such a large muscle it's hard to tell. It's pretty sore to walk on today, but there is a small improvement from last night which can only be good. I should know by Saturday whether I'll be recovered in time.

Comment

#57
                                                                                                                  Really enjoyed the Gaelforce trip report. Well done on finishing and I hope you recover in time for your next race.

Comment

#58
                                                                                                                    Dinner - I'm eating very ate these days, usually around 10.00, this means that ease of cooking is the most important factor for me these days. I cook most evenings but occasionally I'll be too wrecked and will have a microwave dinner. When I cook it'll be either chicken/beef stir fry, or some pasta dish, or an omelette with potatoes. Everything will have onions/peppers/tomatoes in it. I drink a pint of water with every meal and sip throughout the rest of the day
                                                                                                                    Yesterday my sister showed me frozen Lidl stir-fry meals that cost €2. The bag looked a decent size. She said just throw them in a deep pan and they are ready in minutes: rice; veg; chicken.

Comment

#59
                                                                                                                      Leg is much better today, can walk on it pretty freely, although I tried some stretches this morning and it was still quite sore. Confident enough that I'll be ok for the race, just annoyed that I'm missing out on training this week - really needed a good 12k run and a couple of open water swims.

Comment

#60
                                                                                                                        Leg is much better today, can walk on it pretty freely, although I tried some stretches this morning and it was still quite sore. Confident enough that I'll be ok for the race, just annoyed that I'm missing out on training this week - really needed a good 12k run and a couple of open water swims.
                                                                                                                        If anything Wreck it should be the opposite you should be tapering down with little or no training, all the hard work is done at this stage. Another 12k run or swim this week will not do much for you.

Gl in the race i look forward to the TR.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                        X