No announcement yet.

Best Android Apps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This App has been fantastic, bought an OBD2 bluetooth adapter off amazon for £25, this app reads the fault codes from your Engine management. My mechanic thought it was streets ahead of the code reader he used

http://torque-bhp.com/
    Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
    https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

aghhhhh what does this mean

This version of CWM Manager should be used with CF-CWM v1.1 or newer. It appears you are running a different recovery. Various features have been disabled.
      Her sky-ness
      © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle SatNav View Post

This version of CWM Manager should be used with CF-CWM v1.1 or newer. It appears you are running a different recovery. Various features have been disabled.
        What colour is your phone?

Comment

Originally posted by cardshark202 View Post
          What colour is your phone?
          grrr!!! White.
          Her sky-ness
          © 5starpool

Comment

What's your firmware?

Possible if your fone is running the latest version of Android the manager hasnt been updated.
            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
              What's your firmware?

Possible if your fone is running the latest version of Android the manager hasnt been updated.
              Her sky-ness
              © 5starpool

Comment

Forget Michelle, it's China Town
                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Forget Michelle, it's China Town
                  But what about what I have done already?????

Have I done any damage like??

you just dont care about poor little me. insert >>>>>very big sad face
                  Her sky-ness
                  © 5starpool

Comment

This rooting business looks awful complicated.

If I manage to root it, will I be able to install stock android 4.1 on a Galaxy S2 without the samsung/vodafone bloatware?

Comment

But what about what I have done already?????

Have I done any damage like??

you just dont care about poor little me. insert >>>>>very big sad face
                      Its probably a write off and the guarantee is void, shoulda got a green one.

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                      This rooting business looks awful complicated.

If I manage to root it, will I be able to install stock android 4.1 on a Galaxy S2 without the samsung/vodafone bloatware?
                      Its not

Yea you could but there is no real bloat ware from vodafone on s3, just a couple of apps that you just don't have to use.
                      I'd expect 4.1 to be coming over the air in the next couple of weeks.
                      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                        Its probably a write off and the guarantee is void, shoulda got a green one.

Its not

Yea you could but there is no real bloat ware from vodafone on s3, just a couple of apps that you just don't have to use.
                        I'd expect 4.1 to be coming over the air in the next couple of weeks.
                        Can you get the standard android software rather than the Samsung Touchwiz? I had a brief use of a galaxy nexus with stock jellybean and it was much nicer imo.

Comment

Can you get the standard android software rather than the Samsung Touchwiz? I had a brief use of a galaxy nexus with stock jellybean and it was much nicer imo.
                          You can, DP or Zod would be better able to point you at the latest version or you'll find a link to it from that lifehacker guide I posted earlier

Comment

OK fair enough I just found a decent tutorial and it was pretty straightforward to root.

Comment

Its probably a write off and the guarantee is void,
                              It's not. Android is VERY VERY difficult to brick.

Exactly what is the problem Sat Nav?? If it's just a case of you can't get CWM Manager to work, it doesn't really matter. Just press Volume Up + Home + Power at the same time for a few seconds and the phone will automatically reboot into recovery, where you can flash/back-up/restore etc.

Comment

Simple option is just use Apex Launcher, it'll still be ICS but has the look and feel of Stock and you don't need to root your phone if you don't want to.

I have my phone rooted with JellyBean on it and still use Apex Launcher.

Depending on what phone you have XDA forums are where you find everything you need to know about rooting and the likes. Here's the link to the SGS3 forums

Comment

Originally posted by Ste05 View Post

Exactly what is the problem Sat Nav?? If it's just a case of you can't get CWM Manager to work, it doesn't really matter. Just press Volume Up + Home + Power at the same time for a few seconds and the phone will automatically reboot into recovery, where you can flash/back-up/restore etc.

Comment

I got it, just didn't think it was terribly funny and wanted to reassure Sat Nav that her phone wasn't a write off.

Comment

I managed to root the phone and following a bit of research decided I would put CyanogenMod 9.1 on it. So I downloaded this using rom manager but when I go to flash it also using rom manager, there was an error and I had to reboot the full backup I had taken (took about half an hour!).

Any idea what this might be? I have also downloaded the rom to by laptop so can I just copy this onto my SD card and flash it that way?

edit: Error code from log

Code:
                                      Installing: /sdcard/clockworkmod/download/get.cm/get/jenkins/7078/cm-9.1.0-galaxys2.zip
                                      Finding update package...
                                      I:Update location: /sdcard/clockworkmod/download/get.cm/get/jenkins/7078/cm-9.1.0-galaxys2.zip
                                      Opening update package...
                                      [B]E:Can't open /sdcard/clockworkmod/download/get.cm/get/jenkins/7078/cm-9.1.0-galaxys2.zip
                                      (No such file or directory)
                                      Installation aborted.[/B]
                                      result was NULL, message is: assert failed: install_zip("/sdcard/clockworkmod/download/get.cm/get/jenkins/7078/cm-9.1.0-galaxys2.zip")
                                      This was after it had formatted the phone
                                      Last edited by NewApproach; 03-10-12, 08:38.

Comment

I havent a clue really TBH. Got this message " This version of CWM Manager should be used with CF-CWM v1.1 or newer. It appears you are running a different recovery. Various features have been disabled."

So dunno should I just leave it all as it is or do I have to go back and undo what I did? shold of just left things be.
                                        Her sky-ness
                                        © 5starpool

Comment

I managed to root the phone and following a bit of research decided I would put CyanogenMod 9.1 on it. So I downloaded this using rom manager but when I go to flash it also using rom manager, there was an error and I had to reboot the full backup I had taken (took about half an hour!).

Any idea what this might be? I have also downloaded the rom to by laptop so can I just copy this onto my SD card and flash it that way?
                                          I assume you have a SGS3?? Don't bother with ROMManager.

Cyanogen Mod is slightly different to flashing any of the other Samsung based ROMs, as it's porting over the Cyanogen Rom to Samsung, instead of just tweaking, stripping, changing and adding various hacks to the official Samsung ROM and it's nowhere near as stable. TBH, if you're just starting out flashing ROM's I wouldn't recommend using CM9. However, if you are adamant you want to use CM9, use this guide to install it.

In general, I don't bother using ROM manager, just put the .zip file onto your SD card and flash it using Clockwork Mod Recovery. If it's a new ROM or things are starting to get slow do a 'Full Wipe' ("wipe data/factory reset" in Clockwork Mod Recovery) then install zip from Sd card.

Personally, my SGS3 currently has Omega 27.1 using Apex Launcher, (as linked to above), with this JellyBean HD theme and I'm very happy with it.

I'm waiting to go to CM10 or one of it's variants when they get more of the bugs ironed out.

Comment

I havent a clue really TBH. Got this message " This version of CWM Manager should be used with CF-CWM v1.1 or newer. It appears you are running a different recovery. Various features have been disabled."

So dunno should I just leave it all as it is or do I have to go back and undo what I did? shold of just left things be.
                                            Assuming your phone is working, then it's fine, you don't really ever need to use CWM Manager. My CWM Manager app says the exact same thing. As DP said above, they just haven't updated the Manager yet, doesn't really make any odds.

If you want to check you have Clockwork Mod recovery, Hold down Power+Home+Volume Up until the phone re-boots and you should be shown this screen: [EDIT: Or one similar, IIRC the previous version of CWM was brown and had a few more options, but it'll be similar to the below]

If you haven't already done so make a backup from there and keep a copy on your computer or laptop.
                                            Last edited by Ste05; 03-10-12, 09:00.

Comment

I assume you have a SGS3?? Don't bother with ROMManager.

Cyanogen Mod is slightly different to flashing any of the other Samsung based ROMs, as it's porting over the Cyanogen Rom to Samsung, instead of just tweaking, stripping, changing and adding various hacks to the official Samsung ROM and it's nowhere near as stable. TBH, if you're just starting out flashing ROM's I wouldn't recommend using CM9. However, if you are adamant you want to use CM9, use this guide to install it.

In general, I don't bother using ROM manager, just put the .zip file onto your SD card and flash it using Clockwork Mod Recovery. If it's a new ROM or things are starting to get slow do a 'Full Wipe' ("wipe data/factory reset" in Clockwork Mod Recovery) then install zip from Sd card.

Personally, my SGS3 currently has Omega 27.1 using Apex Launcher, (as linked to above), with this JellyBean HD theme and I'm very happy with it.

I'm waiting to go to CM10 or one of it's variants when they get more of the bugs ironed out.
                                              Thanks, no I have an S2. I'll have a look when I get home of some other options and decide what seems best.

Comment

Thanks, no I have an S2. I'll have a look when I get home of some other options and decide what seems best.
                                                Ahhh, in that case, CM9 will be much more stable.

I went and had a look to see how far along they were with the SGS2 and JellyBean and it looks very promising lots of options by the looks of things:

FWIW: This is the developer whose SGS3 Rom I use and who made his name working on the SGS2 AFAIK, so it might be a good spot to start if you want to try JellyBean: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1290468

Comment

Assuming your phone is working, then it's fine, you don't really ever need to use CWM Manager. My CWM Manager app says the exact same thing. As DP said above, they just haven't updated the Manager yet, doesn't really make any odds.

If you want to check you have Clockwork Mod recovery, Hold down Power+Home+Volume Up until the phone re-boots and you should be shown this screen: [EDIT: Or one similar, IIRC the previous version of CWM was brown and had a few more options, but it'll be similar to the below]

If you haven't already done so make a backup from there and keep a copy on your computer or laptop.
                                                  Ok did this and mine says Android system recovery
                                                  Her sky-ness
                                                  © 5starpool

Comment

Oh right, looks like you don't have Clockwork Mod Recovery installed so. I'm not really sure exactly what you've done and not done to your phone so it's hard to comment further unfortunately.

Comment

Oh right, looks like you don't have Clockwork Mod Recovery installed so. I'm not really sure exactly what you've done and not done to your phone so it's hard to comment further unfortunately.
                                                      Hmm ok dunno so. phone is working as normal. just leave it then?

Maybe one of the Tech heads could sort it at the IPO.

TY for the help
                                                      Her sky-ness
                                                      © 5starpool

Comment

Just got GTA there. Tried to pay for it but it didn't work out that way. Looks pretty cool
                                                        airport, lol

Comment

OK, I flashed CM9.1 and it seems fine, automatically installed my apps, contacts etc in when I first booted it. One thing I have noticed though, the contacts are about 4 months old so are missing a good few. I backed up to samsung kies and using cwd, how can i restore the contacts only from one of these backups?

Comment

Yo DP or anybody have ordered my OTG cable now all I have to do is pick up a USB drive was thinking of just using a pen drive something in the 32/64gb range USB 3.0 if possible, you see any good deals around?
                                                            "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                                              Yo DP or anybody have ordered my OTG cable now all I have to do is pick up a USB drive was thinking of just using a pen drive something in the 32/64gb range USB 3.0 if possible, you see any good deals around?
                                                              Excuse my ignorance, but what's an OTG cable?
                                                              airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                Excuse my ignorance, but what's an OTG cable?
                                                                When you root your Nexus 7 you can buy an OnTheGo USB cable and install an app called stickmount according to DP which you can then run external drives from that basically give you extra storage as you can play video files from them.

Comment

When you root your Nexus 7 you can buy an OnTheGo USB cable and install an app called stickmount according to DP which you can then run external drives from that basically give you extra storage as you can play video files from them.
                                                                  Wasn't planning on rooting my nexus but might look into this be handy for a pen drive as youssuggested
                                                                  airport, lol

Comment

This thread needs subtitles! Start another thread for all your mumbo jumbo that i can't understand and leave this for apps

Comment

Is that the OTG cable you bought Danny? Just wondering which one to get for the Nexus as I heard there were some slight compatibility issues with some of them when connecting to drives bigger than 64GB.

I still havn't flashed any ROM yet as the stock firmware is pretty decent so far.
                                                                      NextStopWhoKnows

Comment

Originally posted by Four of a Kind View Post
                                                                        Is that the OTG cable you bought Danny? Just wondering which one to get for the Nexus as I heard there were some slight compatibility issues with some of them when connecting to drives bigger than 64GB.

I still havn't flashed any ROM yet as the stock firmware is pretty decent so far.
                                                                        I haven't received it yet, don't plan on having a huge external drive connected up to it that's why I wanna go with 32/64gb.

Comment

got my cable today.
                                                                          works like a charm
                                                                          Last edited by DeadParrot; 05-10-12, 15:35.

Comment

What's the best way of backing up? I've not really looked into it as of yet but with new builds coming out for Cyanogenmod 10 I don't want to have to continually backing up everything when I do a fresh install.

I see CM10 has now included a OTA update in its OS so for what I gather you can just install new updates but not have to constantly wipe the system. I tried the Wugfresh Toolkit backup and it worked fine it seemed but took ages to do so, I thought it was just going to backup all my apps & data but I think it backed up everything as the file was over 5gb.

The new 4.1.2 update was in the nightly build list so I went down the route of having a fresh install and wiped cache partition/dalvik cache and whatnot and the install worked but when I booted up all my movies/walking dead comics were there? DP can you shed any light on this?

Comment

got my cable today.
                                                                              works like a charm
                                                                              http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aftermarket-...NOE.0D59BRZ_tt
                                                                              I have one ordered as well from ebay. Ordered on the 4th October as well as a case for it.

I am having problems getting a movie I threw onto it to play. It shows in ES File explorer but when you try and play with VLC it says there are no movies??

Any idea what I have done wrong?

Comment

I was browsing around on this. Can the Nexus support USB 3.0? I was looking at 32gb USB drives and wasn't going to waste time buying a USB 3.0 one if it isn't supported as my laptop is only USB 2.0

Do you have to root the Nexus to use the OTG cable to mount the drive? I wanted to get the drive for movies/music etc instead of clogging the internal storage. I prefer not messing with it but will root it if I have to. Is the Nexus easy enough to root?

Comment

you technically dont have to root it as there is an app available not.
                                                                                  tbh, rooting gives you si much more freedom I cant see why you wouldnt.
                                                                                  As tyler said the WUG toolkit makes it ridiculously easy.

@td, you backed up the OS and system/apps not the media

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                                                                    I have one ordered as well from ebay. Ordered on the 4th October as well as a case for it.

I am having problems getting a movie I threw onto it to play. It shows in ES File explorer but when you try and play with VLC it says there are no movies??

Any idea what I have done wrong?
                                                                                    I bought this case for it and it's pretty good would recommend to anybody getting one.

As for movies you might have to enable the directory should be in the preferences somewhere. As for VLC it's getting there when it comes to playing movies on it not crashing as much as it use to, I tried .avi & 720p .mkvs and they play fine. Also have MX Player installed as it's much more stable than VLC and it also a volume boost on it which can come in handy.

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                                                                    I was browsing around on this. Can the Nexus support USB 3.0? I was looking at 32gb USB drives and wasn't going to waste time buying a USB 3.0 one if it isn't supported as my laptop is only USB 2.0

Do you have to root the Nexus to use the OTG cable to mount the drive? I wanted to get the drive for movies/music etc instead of clogging the internal storage. I prefer not messing with it but will root it if I have to. Is the Nexus easy enough to root?
                                                                                    No it's not USB 3.0 but I would like to have one in general as my Macbook/Desktop supports it so it's handy enough.

I'm pretty sure you have to have it rooted DP said for StickMount to work with the OTG cable. As for rooting it's pretty straight forward wouldn't doubt for a second you would breeze through it, I used this tutorial and it worked like a charm. I know Carlo had a bit of trouble getting his done think he used something different but he eventually got it done.

Maybe run through the video once to have an idea what he is doing and then on the 2nd go around follow it and you should be sorted. Download the toolkit from here and you should be good to go.

I have done an Idiots Guide for other devices, and now its time for one on the Google Nexus 7 Tablet. I tried to make this guide as thorough as possible, in...

I've mine flashed with Cyanogenmod 10 and it's pretty nifty you can do a bunch of extra stuff on it, for example you can set the lock screen to open up different applications, add a weather app.

Comment

you technically dont have to root it as there is an app available not.
                                                                                      tbh, rooting gives you si much more freedom I cant see why you wouldnt.
                                                                                      As tyler said the WUG toolkit makes it ridiculously easy.

@td, you backed up the OS and system/apps not the media
                                                                                      I was going to use Titanium backup or something like that but then seen you could do it with the Toolkit, followed a tutorial from YouTube and the guy say it should only be a couple hundred MB but it was huge.

Obviously all I really want to do is back up some data/apps.

Comment

New update released for Jelly Bean 4.1.2 if you haven't upgraded yet, also stumbled across this

Comment

New update released for Jelly Bean 4.1.2 if you haven't upgraded yet, also stumbled across this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az41yMkQb5g
                                                                                          I did an upgrade the other day and it now rotates on all screens. Handy stuff

I think I will root it when I get a minute. It's finding the time at the moment.

Cheers DP & TD

Comment

lol

48

Comment

My OTG cable arrived this morning and I just tried it there without installing stick mount and it worked, opened up ES File Explorer and voila it appeared.

Played the file now problems through VLC/Mx Player, running a test on it now 11 minutes into an episode of The Walking Dead the battery was at 60% but it's now down to 54% so I take it the best thing to do is to use it to transfer across to the Nexus 7 thus saving on battery life?

Comment

In the middle of rooting my nexus. Been sitting with my nexus having a pick of the android on his back with the door open with the fastboot mode writing on bottom left. My comp has been saying

"Waiting for your device to finish booting back up..." this last 20 mins or so

Normal??

Comment

I was about to give up and pressed the power button and it finished rebooting. Root was successful!

My case came today and happy with that and all I need is my OTG cable to come and I will be one happy lady.

Comment

Can someone dumb down rooting for me. Is it similar to jail breaking? What advantages am I getting and what sort of risks? Also is it voiding any warranty. Am I removing jellybean to replace with 3rd party OS?
                                                                                                    airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                                                      Can someone dumb down rooting for me. Is it similar to jail breaking? What advantages am I getting and what sort of risks? Also is it voiding any warranty. Am I removing jellybean to replace with 3rd party OS?
                                                                                                      Similar but not quite; 1st of all, full control of USB OTG is a must.
                                                                                                      OTG cable+stickmount+root+64gb key is a big game changer to what you mat have percieved to be limitations to your device.
                                                                                                      If you game even just casually, it's definitely worth it.
                                                                                                      FPS games are so much more enjoyable with a rooted N7 (via the PS3 controller.) Likewise, playing SNES games (or whatever system) via the emulator are also much more fun and way less frustrating. Some games are basically unplayable without a controller.
                                                                                                      I mean, if you have it rooted you can treat it like a little portable console, really.
                                                                                                      Rooting allows you to mess around with the device and alter things like CPU clock speed to speed it up/slow down to the detriment/gain of battery life, amongst other things. It also allows you to install root-only apps which require special permissions/access to your device that an unrooted device doesn't allow....I have a few nifty ones
                                                                                                      Further, you can then install different ROMs (operating systems/versions of android) onto the N7, you don't HAVE TO however. TBH, I keep the software as close to stock and fiddle with it rather than install a seperate ROM. As it is a Nexus though, it will get the latest and greatest official android release from Google before anybody else....
                                                                                                      Another thing is Ad blocking (with a hosts file), you know the way a lot of apps come bundled with ads, well fuck that shit
                                                                                                      Titanium Backup app also allows you to basically fuck with all sorts of shit and then restore if you mess up. Again only available through rooting.
                                                                                                      As well as that there is SSH tunneling, linux terminals, sniffing and a whole host of other mental fiddly shit

Comment

any must have apps for samsung galaxy s3 ?

Comment

Originally posted by reilly110 View Post
                                                                                                          any must have apps for samsung galaxy s3 ?
                                                                                                          as well as the google ones the ones I use all the time are

DoggCatcher for podcasts
                                                                                                          Tune In Radio
                                                                                                          Aldiko as a book reader

Evernote
                                                                                                          Dropbox
                                                                                                          Remote Desktop
                                                                                                          Llama
                                                                                                          LiteFlow

ES File Explorer
                                                                                                          Cabbage
                                                                                                          Skype
                                                                                                          Tapatalk

I like Mort music player music and books as seperate apps because its easy to separate out books from music.

Words with Friends

Comment

as well as the google ones the ones I use all the time are

DoggCatcher for podcasts
                                                                                                            Tune In Radio
                                                                                                            Aldiko as a book reader

Evernote
                                                                                                            Dropbox
                                                                                                            Remote Desktop
                                                                                                            Llama
                                                                                                            LiteFlow

ES File Explorer
                                                                                                            Cabbage
                                                                                                            Skype
                                                                                                            Tapatalk

I like Mort music player music and books as seperate apps because its easy to separate out books from music.

Words with Friends
                                                                                                            Pretty class.
                                                                                                            Some of those wanted me to pay money.
                                                                                                            X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                                                            Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Nexus users..

Made a hash in the BBV of what I was trying to say.

I had hapily used my OTG cable and usb to watch movies since I rooted it. I upgraded the other day to jelly bean.

I copied a few things to my USB key and plugged it into the nexus last night to watch a movie. It showed it had mounted etc but in file explorer it showed the thing was empty.

I don't think it is mounting and unmounting properly. I click to unmount and the box comes up to say about them being mounted.

Any ideas? when in bed sick it is handy to be able to watch on the nexus that sitting with the laptop .

Comment

bump

Comment

ah....the app needs updating for multiuser support
                                                                                                                  use
                                                                                                                  Nexus Media Importer

Comment

ah....the app needs updating for multiuser support
                                                                                                                    use
                                                                                                                    Nexus Media Importer
                                                                                                                    Had tried to re-root it and it went ok. Then it said it was temporarily using the TWRP software. The page comes up on the nexus where it has boxes and it sits with an on screen (laptop) message of waiting till it has finished booting up. DOes nothing.

I waited and waited and nothing happens.

Not got the brain power to think this all through though.

I looked at the media importer. will have to buy that I suppose!

Comment

use the app I link in the BBV
                                                                                                                      bubbleunpnp to stream from the laptop

Comment

use the app I link in the BBV
                                                                                                                        bubbleunpnp to stream from the laptop
                                                                                                                        I was wanting to use my USB and OTG cable and not have the bulky laptop though. So disappointed it didn't work last night.

Comment

Probably asked already - But are there any streaming sites that you can use on an android device? What apps would I need to get?

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X