Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Opr View Post
    Yeah been watching them. The poker hasn't been that interesting but the table talk has been good fun at times. It is hard to be that invested when you have so many poor players at the table, you know so little of the dynamic/history between them or really anything about them. I don't think Baldwin is that bad but he certainly plays up the fool angle. Tom seems to have exited GOD mode from when we last seen him playing on the likes of HSP and PAD. The next set filmed on the last Triton stop with Jungle, Loeliger, Dwan etc should be good.

Currently watching the 5th one. Given your views on JRB you should enjoy it

Opr
    Didn't know the 5th installment dropped. Gonna get on that too! I think i saw someone comment on one of the youtube clips that Baldwin is like a 70 yeard old Phil Laak. That's pretty accurate

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
      This is top management level (as you are). The ability to say something stupid and just stand by it. It's actually an admirable trait.
      You'd have to wonder about the underlying data for a chart that suggests the country leaving the EU in a farcical fashion has the lowest populist support in Europe

Comment

What’s the average spend on booze a week in here I wonder? Kinda feel like I’m pissing money away any time it tips over E15 , basically anytime it tips into pushing monthly alcohol spend over what I would pay on likes of car insurance direct debit.
        Only do a handful of big nights in a year now though, the hangovers last into the middle of the week now so I’m pretty selective plus even if I wanted to do more the ail middle age logistics get in the way

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
            Let's await his arrival.

In the meantime, you might supply the stats in support of your argument.
            Ah he pulled this on me the other day. He suggested three reforms the legal system desperately needed. I pointed out we already had all of them, including limits to what judges can award in personal injuries. Radio silence from our Hitch.
            You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
            World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Although I do think the Danish election results this week actually bear out Hitch in this instance.
              You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
              World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                Given your views on JRB you should enjoy it

Opr

SPOILER
                https://gyazo.com/cdae1cfcc3307fbdf3fae72346e56775

Edit - He took the AA hand very well tbh. Some blast off with the 53 though
                Last edited by Flushdraw; 07-06-19, 21:54.

Comment

Check out this writing.....

SPOILER
                  Originally posted by Stazza
                  Good Christie Hunting

In Memoriam - Dr Bernard Henry 1965-2007

Without fail, every Tuesday and Friday lunchtime Dr Bernard Henry would saunter into the clinic, strip down to his boxers, adopt the prone position on the treatment couch, and enjoy the pleasure of Stazza’s masterful hands. Bernard never paid for a massage or treatment. Not because he was 6”6’ and a good bit more, nor was it because he was an elite 200m runner for Thames Valley Harriers. To be in the presence of Bernard Henry was recompense enough for any service provided. A beautiful man.

But on this day, I witnessed a darker side of this beautiful man, a side that would have made Mike Tyson quake in his little black boxing booties and think twice before accepting a challenge to a fight to the death. And as we all know, everything is about fights to the death and arm wrestling.

Working on Bernard was always a bit of a wrestle for me. The muscularity of the man and the size of his limbs made it difficult to work on him, especially given the fact that I’m a mere 5”7’. Granted, because of my skills in the noble art of pugilism, you’d want me on your side in a tear-up. All the same, Bernard was tough to work on.

When I close my eyes and try to recall the events of the day, I see Bernard’s beautiful black body glistening in the sunlight; the soft scent of grape seed oil inhabits my nostrils and the smoothness of his skin soothes my mind as I begin with effleurage. Above his head, a fuss of dust mites frolic and skirr. And if a genie were to suddenly appear and transmute me into one of the mites, I suspect their soft whispers would laud the muscularity and unspoken ease of the man.

As my hands move from effleurage to petrissage we talk about many things. Maybe Nietzsche, maybe Keats, possibly U.S. history; he loved a good oxymoron. Whatever about the warm up, the conversation definitely moved onto British Athletics.

‘Who do you prefer, Coe or Christie?’
                  ‘Coe, without a doubt,’ I say.
                  ‘Why?’

I go on to expound my opinions of Christie, which are merely founded on reports in newspapers and magazines that state certain things have been proven.

Slowly, he turns on the bed. I take my hands away and think, what’s this all about. The mites skedaddle. The sun disappears behind a cloud and a chill fills the room. I study his face. White teeth that would shame an American. Eyebrows that hint that this is a man that takes male grooming seriously. His eyes have a look that cast a spell you’d imagine only the devil Himself could cast. This is not the icy stare of respect and fear that fighters meet in the centre of the ring. There’s a vacancy in his eyes that suggest he has the answers to questions he hasn’t even asked, yet.

‘Linford’s my best friend.’

To be continued.

From this 2014 thread. Seemingly a legendary boards a/r thread, got linked to it earlier. OP is fascinating. Has a touch of Denny's bird about him.
                  I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                    That's just general populism. Which is a weird concept anyway.
                    Yes it doesn't discriminate between left and right wing populist parties. There's graph here with bubbles from the end of last year showing the change from 1998 and also the left wing or right wing nature of them:

Here's a graphic from last month showing the % of populist party votes in national elections in European countries along with the party name, as you can see they are right wing parties:

I have been concerned about the rise of right wing populism in the West, and I say that as someone who doesn't get concerned about such things by nature. I wish to understand what conditions are giving rise to it. But after not too much reading I have realised that I need to understand populism itself.

There's a website called fivebook.com which I came across today. An expert in a field recommends their 5 best books on their subject of expertise in a q&a format. I read the one on Populism looking for my book recommendation. Just reading it is quite informative:
                    The best books on populism, as recommended by political scientist and author Cas Mudde.

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                    You'd have to wonder about the underlying data for a chart that suggests the country leaving the EU in a farcical fashion has the lowest populist support in Europe
                    The Conservatives would not be classed as a populist party according to their criteria. So you are probably only talking UKIP (this was pre-Brexit Party) This is how they classed them:
                    We used a classification developed by the University of Melbourne.

It ranked parties on the extent to which they: opposed the political class, financial institutions, immigrants or ethnic minorities; depended on the personality of a leader; and violated liberal democratic norms.
                    Anyway I'm not sure what timeline Hitch is thinking of with right wing populist parties going down, but I'm not thinking months.

I started watching this recent documentary on right wing populists in the EU:
                    2019 looks to be a good year for right-wing populists in Europe.Be it Italy, France, Hungary, Poland or Germany, many European countries are experiencing a s...
                    Last edited by hotspur; 07-06-19, 22:33.

Comment

Angela Nagle has apparently written some good stuff on the online culture wars fueling the rise of right wing shite online (4chan etc) , have heard her a few times on second captains and she came across well. She got eaten for her “the left case against open borders “ article though
                      It’s crazy how much you see talking points being parroted on Irish media comment sections , Irish reddit and boards.ie that are still steaming from being ripped straight from the likes of /pol though, we can’t possibly have that many NEET losers in this country capable of the output I’m seeing so Hitch def on to something

Comment

Any word of anyone getting sparked or pissed on at Cian Healy’s wedding? The boys probably had to tone it down , pity for them

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                          Any word of anyone getting sparked or pissed on at Cian Healy’s wedding? The boys probably had to tone it down , pity for them
                          Did a rugby player steal your date at your graduation?

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                            Diamond put in a good turn on BBC's start the week podcast this week talking about his new book on pschyoanalysis for countries.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0005mq4
                            The BBC do some good stuff but I don't listen half as much as I should.The piece they did on Salman Rushdie's Fatwa was quite good.

I'm going back to podcasts on my commute and leaving audible, I just find my attention waning, perhaps that's due to the pain of the N7.
                            I'm actually trying to avoid the N7 + M50 atm, weighing up a quicker journey of 15min via that route but you pay toll over driving via Maynooth which is slower in time but you're moving more consistently.

Comment

What’s the average spend on booze a week in here I wonder? Kinda feel like I’m pissing money away any time it tips over E15 , basically anytime it tips into pushing monthly alcohol spend over what I would pay on likes of car insurance direct debit.
                              Only do a handful of big nights in a year now though, the hangovers last into the middle of the week now so I’m pretty selective plus even if I wanted to do more the ail middle age logistics get in the way
                              Is guess it's second only to rent in terms of monthly outgoings for me.
                              Last edited by Denny Crane; 08-06-19, 09:30.

Comment

Funny watching the evolution in stage productions over the years, Queen at Slane looks like something that would be on in Whelan's. Even Metallica shows from 10 years ago look so amateur compared to now

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                  Although I do think the Danish election results this week actually bear out Hitch in this instance.
                                  Oh yeah, the trend is definitely uneven.

The Dutch headers likewise seem to have plateaued. Seems to me that extremists of either flavour won't do well in historically consensus-driven polities like Denmark and the Netherlands.

Pim Fortuyn would be interesting if alive today.
                                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Best whiskey cocktails in Dublin? Sours, old fashioned etc?

Comment

Pretty much never drink now, aul bottle of wine, gin or pint very infrequently. I'm far too much craic without drinking sure, people have been giving me more drink than I actually drink. I imagine on the other end of this scale will be hitch and dice.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                        Funny watching the evolution in stage productions over the years, Queen at Slane looks like something that would be on in Whelan's. Even Metallica shows from 10 years ago look so amateur compared to now
                                        Ever been to a Pink Floyd gig ?

Would love to be in Slane today . Wetallica will be the headlines though.

Comment

Black Mirrors decline is sad to see. This new season is a mess.
                                          Profit before people.

Comment

Jeez the one day there is SFA Sport on and the missus and kids gone out for the day and no racing on my TV either. Like could Virgin not show the ITV racing instead of re-runs of Family Fortunes and The Chase ffs.

Found Craotia v Wales to keep me happy-ish

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                              Jeez the one day there is SFA Sport on and the missus and kids gone out for the day and no racing on my TV either. Like could Virgin not show the ITV racing instead of re-runs of Family Fortunes and The Chase ffs.

lol before I opened this forum I knew you would be on about this. I actually clicked in looking for your post. Probably because I noticed there was no racing on virgin terestial myself and immediately knew Dice be in trouble!.
                                              Luckily I have the brothers RUK app which is part of his subscription so im able to project to tv from that.
                                              It is very poor form for Virgin though.

Comment

Aus ire u20s rugby on now. Should be a close one

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                  Ever been to a Pink Floyd gig ?

Would love to be in Slane today . Wetallica will be the headlines though.
                                                  Been to two Rodger Waters gigs, not sure how they'll compare to today

Comment

Thiem must be losing his mind at Rolland Garros

Comment

Sky Arts at 5pm might be worth a record for RD111

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                        Aus ire u20s rugby on now. Should be a close one
                                                        Alas not on my TV

Comment

Alas not on my TV
                                                          Eir 2?

Comment

Sky Arts at 5pm might be worth a record for RD111
                                                            15 8 y/o girls here today. Be lucky to survive tbh.

Comment

Eir 2?
                                                              Don't have those fancy channels

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                Yes it doesn't discriminate between left and right wing populist parties. There's graph here with bubbles from the end of last year showing the change from 1998 and also the left wing or right wing nature of them:
                                                                https://www.theguardian.com/world/ng...-vote-populist
                                                                That's a useful graph.

Far right going from <5% to ~15% over that time period. With a highly unequal distribution amongst countries of course.

Spain and Germany are the ones that are really scary. Places that had fascist dictatorships in living memory.

Comment

Alas not on my TV
                                                                  Streamed live by World Rugby on Youtube

Watch the full match replay as Australia took on Ireland in the second round of the World Rugby U20 Championship.For news, stories, highlights and more, go t...

Ireland had a red and were extremely lucky not to have a second just before half time.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                                                                    Best whiskey cocktails in Dublin? Sours, old fashioned etc?
                                                                    MYO. A good sour is not servable legally.

4,3,2,1 - whatever measure you want to use

4 measures bourbon
                                                                    3 measures lemon juice
                                                                    2 measures sugar syrup
                                                                    1 measure Egg White

As much Ice as you have liquid. Shake the bejaysis out of it. Serve. Inhale.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                      Streamed live by World Rugby on Youtube

Watch the full match replay as Australia took on Ireland in the second round of the World Rugby U20 Championship.For news, stories, highlights and more, go t...

Ireland had a red and were extremely lucky not to have a second just before half time.
                                                                      What a try by the lock. Unbelievable pace. Poor defending but still.

Comment

Dont be bothering Dice with that. He wants to have some dirty bets on the racing and not watching wholesome sports. The mobile phone app bet and watch doesnt hold the same alure as watching it on tv.

Comment

Not sure how long your free day extends, but Lingfield and Chepstow are live on ATR from 17.30, NornIron play their Euro qualifier live on Sky at 5pm and Donegal & Tyrone attempt to decapitate each other at the same time on RTE2. It's thin gruel in fairness.

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post
                                                                            Dont be bothering Dice with that. He wants to have some dirty bets on the racing and not watching wholesome sports. The mobile phone app bet and watch doesnt hold the same alure as watching it on tv.
                                                                            If i was more organised it really was a 4 pints of Guinness with bacon fries in a proper boozer job.

Comment

What a try by the lock. Unbelievable pace. Poor defending but still.
                                                                              Twice!

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                MYO. A good sour is not servable legally.

4,3,2,1 - whatever measure you want to use

4 measures bourbon
                                                                                3 measures lemon juice
                                                                                2 measures sugar syrup
                                                                                1 measure Egg White

As much Ice as you have liquid. Shake the bejaysis out of it. Serve. Inhale.
                                                                                Thanks. I've made them at home. That sounds a better method than I used. That's not on the cards tonight though.

Any decent cocktail bars in South City centre?. Have to be a wanker for one night.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                  Not sure how long your free day extends, but Lingfield and Chepstow are live on ATR from 17.30, NornIron play their Euro qualifier live on Sky at 5pm and Donegal & Tyrone attempt to decapitate each other at the same time on RTE2. It's thin gruel in fairness.
                                                                                  Yeah, saw those. Still disappointed that SSR lost Chelmsford to RUK. Prob just scrape in the Nordies first half before the hungry hoards arrive back. Snaffled a few speculative whatoddspaddy bets for interest. Funking for the both teams to miss a peno at 500s

Comment

Thanks. I've made them at home. That sounds a better method than I used. That's not on the cards tonight though.

Any decent cocktail bars in South City centre?. Have to be a wanker for one night.
                                                                                    Xico, missus dragged me there once and it was actually excellent. Nice vibe in there, staff were great and cocktails were decent.

Comment

Chris Evert still such an attractive woman. Back in the playing days Gabriela Sabatini was a pipe dream and a bit too angelic so just thought of her as a sister. Arantxa Sanchez Vicario and Jana Novotna were more a source of lust.

Comment

Go into the Horseshoe Bar in The Shelbourne
                                                                                        Order dearest yoke on cocktail Menu
                                                                                        Stand outside front door and light up a Cohiba Talisman
                                                                                        Chortle at passers by
                                                                                        Job done

Comment

Exchequer, one in Ranelagh and one on Exchequer St is good. Other good option would be rooftop bar on the Marker Hotel, think you may need to book though?

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post
                                                                                            Chris Evert still such an attractive woman. Back in the playing days Gabriela Sabatini was a pipe dream and a bit too angelic so just thought of her as a sister. Arantxa Sanchez Vicario and Jana Novotna were more a source of lust.

Comment

Go into the Horseshoe Bar in The Shelbourne
                                                                                              Order dearest yoke on cocktail Menu
                                                                                              Stand outside front door and light up a Cohiba Talisman
                                                                                              Chortle at passers by
                                                                                              Job done
                                                                                              Top two could be a runner...

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                              Xico, missus dragged me there once and it was actually excellent. Nice vibe in there, staff were great and cocktails were decent.
                                                                                              I said wanker. Not a scumbag.

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                                              Exchequer, one in Ranelagh and one on Exchequer St is good. Other good option would be rooftop bar on the Marker Hotel, think you may need to book though?
                                                                                              Cheers.

Comment

Bar in the Fitzwilliam do excellent cocktails, just a pity its always so dead. Proper Long Island Ice Tea in there put hair on your chest and set you up for the night.

Comment

That was my thought too.

Rounders does thrive on a challenge with the ladies though, so maybe he was taking it to extremes!

Comment

Sabbatini was a bit androgynous. Don't get me wrong still a fine thing but never trust a woman who can ball juggle like she could . Deffo gender fluid before her time.

Rounders got the crazy tastebuds .
                                                                                                    Even at my most sexually demented i averted my eyes when Vicario took the balls out of her knickers to serve.

Comment

I said wanker. Not a scumbag. .
                                                                                                      Jaysus. Could've just said not your scene when someone tries to help you. Harsh enough

Comment

Sabbatini was a bit androgynous. Don't get me wrong still a fine thing but never trust a woman who can ball juggle like she could . Deffo gender fluid before her time.

Rounders got the crazy tastebuds .
                                                                                                        Even at my most sexually demented i averted my eyes when Vicario took the balls out of her knickers to serve.
                                                                                                        i used to love Sabbatini, then i saw her play live and walk a few feet away from me. She had the body of a man, and walked like one too!! my fav was always Stefi, apart from her big nose, she was stunning in every other way

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                                          Jaysus. Could've just said not your scene when someone tries to help you. Harsh enough
                                                                                                          Only joking obviously, Dob. I'm 34 now. Done the Baggott inn when it was alright a few times about 10 years ago. The change to xico lost me. Was there a couple of times and hated it.

Comment

i used to love Sabbatini, then i saw her play live and walk a few feet away from me. She had the body of a man, and walked like one too!! my fav was always Stefi, apart from her big nose, she was stunning in every other way
                                                                                                            Best legs ever. Bit ironic a French man pointing out a big nose. Never bothered Agassi though . Dated Streisand too.

Comment

VCC in temple bar?
                                                                                                              Blind Pig?
                                                                                                              777?
                                                                                                              9 below underneath the hibernian club looks extremely wankerly so might be a good shout
                                                                                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Best legs ever. Bit ironic a French man pointing out a big nose. Never bothered Agassi though . Dated Streisand too.
                                                                                                                agreed. Hers were amazing. Re nose, It didn't bother me too much, it was just very... Noticeable.

Comment

15 8 y/o girls here today. Be lucky to survive tbh.
                                                                                                                  Phew. No-one died.

Bottle of 2011 Margaux and juicy ribeyes to celebrate.

Comment

Phew. No-one died.

Bottle of 2011 Margaux and juicy ribeyes to celebrate.
                                                                                                                    Haven't had a single sunny day to make a wine run to Cherbourg in the plane. The couple that run the restaurant/cave in the airport are retiring in a month so the weather needs to sort itself out.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                                                      Haven't had a single sunny day to make a wine run to Cherbourg in the plane. The couple that run the restaurant/cave in the airport are retiring in a month so the weather needs to sort itself out.
                                                                                                                      Yeah, I'm down to drinking the good gear and hanging on for the France trip.

The odd bottle from Kellys, now my local supplier. Worthy of a recommendation.

Comment

Rounders staying schtum on the Sanchez Vicario topic.

Definitely some dodgy tale lurking there.

Comment

Yeah, I'm down to drinking the good gear and hanging on for the France trip.

The odd bottle from Kellys, now my local supplier. Worthy of a recommendation.
                                                                                                                          Kelly's is very good. I find their pricing a bit bizarre though. Some stuff well over-priced and some very cheap. Also cringe a bit at them having Chateau Margaux and CMR baking under lights in the display cabinet. 2014 Chateau La Fleur Picon is worth picking up for < €30 if they still have any.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X