Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

That big hairbrush is 12 to 1 to score 1st goal

Come on Belgium give us a Frexit

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
        Didn't take long for your current vibe to dissipate!
        My current vibe is amazing. I enjoy these conversations alot though

Yes, I do believe in global warming. It's like California out there FFS.
        That is good for us though so maybe we shouldn't tackle it too quickly

Your point about wealth inequality is wrong. It was far worse in the past. Now (as I think you agreed to earlier, everyone in the West has shelter, tv, internet and plenty of food....at the very least). If you told people 100 years ago that we would live the lifestyles of today, they would laugh you out of it.

Every generation has it better. The problem is that people today are viewing their lives through distortion filters and are thus convincing themselves that Good = Bad.

Hence Trump, Brexit.
        I'd like to tackle this with some more in-depth studies on inequality that I have read but I am running out the door. I think you are wrong in real terms with the recent past and it is growing larger all the time from the research I have done. From a quick google here is a guardian article which I have skimmed and seems to do a reasonable if not a very comprehensive job.

What is more interesting to me is the reason and they are all predicated on this ridiculous consumer society of buy more stuff. If you buy this you will be happy, oh your not, buy this. Good luck to people just getting by in this world who you say are fed and clothed constantly bombarded with the fact they are not happy is because they need more money. "Don't show me people going to the moon and expect me to clean toilets"

Anyways its been fun but I need to get out and enjoy some sun.

Opr
        Last edited by Opr; 10-07-18, 15:07.

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post
          We are staying in Belfast and hiring a bus
          ...Just booked Belfast there now for me and my mate...We're staying Thursday and Friday, and doing golf just the Friday...
          ...P.s, if you have room for 2 on bus for Friday let me know 😂😂...

Comment

Comment

Didn't take long for your current vibe to dissipate!

One by one:

Yes, I do believe in global warming. It's like California out there FFS.

Your point about wealth inequality is wrong. It was far worse in the past. Now (as I think you agreed to earlier, everyone in the West has shelter, tv, internet and plenty of food....at the very least). If you told people 100 years ago that we would live the lifestyles of today, they would laugh you out of it.

Every generation has it better. The problem is that people today are viewing their lives through distortion filters and are thus convincing themselves that Good = Bad.

Hence Trump, Brexit.
              That's not exactly wealth inequality though. People have it far better than 100 years ago, most likely people will have it far better in 100 years from now(controlling for robots obv).

It doesn't change the inequality, anecdotally 99% of the world's wealth is held by the top 1%, was that the case 100 years ago (perhaps it was, won't pretend to know for sure). Narrowing the gap in inequality is a must imo, if you make 52k a year you're in the top 1%.

Apologises if this seems a tad hyperbolic but posterity will likely look on previous generations in regard to wealth inequality the way we look back on racism, slavery.

Comment

Originally posted by brady23 View Post
                That's not exactly wealth inequality though. People have it far better than 100 years ago, most likely people will have it far better in 100 years from now(controlling for robots obv).

It doesn't change the inequality, anecdotally 99% of the world's wealth is held by the top 1%, was that the case 100 years ago (perhaps it was, won't pretend to know for sure). Narrowing the gap in inequality is a must imo, if you make 52k a year you're in the top 1%.

Apologises if this seems a tad hyperbolic but posterity will likely look on previous generations in regard to wealth inequality the way we look back on racism, slavery.

https://www.fastcompany.com/3048757/...ozens-of-lives
                Surely you know better than to equate income with wealth!
                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

I think you're being a bit kind to China here Hitch.

The Asia region may be moving towards democracy but China is not. If anything, it is becoming more controlling of it's citizens. The new Chinese Social Credit Score (which is technically voluntary until 2020) will exert redonk control over it's citizens in something akin to an episode of Black Mirror, only worse.

For the business community, there is no grace/voluntary period. Effective 1st June this year, Notice of the General Administration of Customs of the People’s Republic of China No.56 comes into force which is applicable for all air & ocean shipments to/from China whereby they will require both shipper and consigee details such as

Contact Name & Phone Number
                  Tax ID (if non Chinese company) or Unified Social Credit Code (if Chinese)

The US brought in something similar after 9/11 as an anti terrorism device but for China, it's all about control of the companies that are importing/exporting and how they can dictate who does what via a simple advance manifestign tool.

On China's sea power, the miliatry spend is nothing compared to what they are doing in trade. State owned Chinese companies are slowly becoming the largest players in their field. In the last 5 years, for example, the state owned shipping line has gone from number 6 in the world to soon to be the number 3 spot through a series of acquistions worth billions that come from bottomless government coffers. They are also hoovering up ports and terminals all over the world, all designed to create a seemless route to market for the goods they produce.

The investment in countries, for me, isn't a win-win situation. I look at it more of China taking advantage of poor economies as their SOE's (State Owned Enterprises) rock up with bags of cash and prey on anything they want with little resistance. Similarly is the One Belt One Road policy (Silk Road) wherby it's all just about expanding their presence and influence from China right across the globe and into Europe.

You can argue that the sea expansion and silk road are there to help develop China and make the people of the country rich but I don't see it like that. Yes, the middle class population are growing but there is still huge amounts of money controlled by a small amount of people and these people are allowed to have this wealth by the ruling party, who can, at a whim, take it all away.

What little gains the mass population have gained financially is far out weighed by the things they are given up and will continue to give in terms of freedom/democracy.

Comment

105m for a 33yo is fucking ridiculous, even if it's Ronaldo.
                    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                      They'll have it made back by the weekend. No brainer
                      airport, lol

Comment

Surely you know better than to equate income with wealth!
                        Well the top 1% of earners do make 52k. Over 66% of the world earn less the 13% of the world's income and 1% receive 15%. You can assess income inequality with a gini coefficient within individual nations and then probably assess wealth inequality based on cost of living, social cushioning etc.

We'll agree the gap is pretty big and greater attempts to narrow it are probably advantageous.

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                          How so?
                          No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

How so?
                            Sex dolls!

Comment

How so?
                              Merchandise
                              airport, lol

Comment

How so?
                                Merchandise, predominantly replica jerseys but basically anything you can put his mug on

Comment

Merchandise
                                  By the weekend? Think you are very much overestimating the revenue the club get from shirt sales. That is a very common myth. Doubt if the club would even get a third of their outlay back from that.

Comment

By the weekend? Think you are very much overestimating the revenue the club get from shirt sales. That is a very common myth. Doubt if the club would even get a third of their outlay back from that.
                                    I think the revenue clubs make from jersey sales is about 7% of the cost of one at sale price. Not worth a bollox to them, and as you said, it’s a common myth.

Comment

Well the top 1% of earners do make 52k. Over 66% of the world earn less the 13% of the world's income and 1% receive 15%. You can assess income inequality with a gini coefficient within individual nations and then probably assess wealth inequality based on cost of living, social cushioning etc.

We'll agree the gap is pretty big and greater attempts to narrow it are probably advantageous.

How will Brexit help.?

just taking it back

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Bullocks View Post
                                        How will Brexit help.?

just taking it back
                                        I never know if you're joking or not but either way I know very little about the impact of Brexit on pretty anything.

I do like Matt Ridley though and he's a pretty staunch Brexiteer so I'm probably not as negative on as some based on some of his points. There no doubts the decision was driven in part by the disenfranchised grief of the lower classes but as far as the result actually making things better, I wouldn't know tbh.

Comment

I never know if you're joking or not but either way I know very little about the impact of Brexit on pretty anything.

I do like Matt Ridley though and he's a pretty staunch Brexiteer so I'm probably not as negative on as some based on some of his points. There no doubts the decision was driven in part by the disenfranchised grief of the lower classes but as far as the result actually making things better, I wouldn't know tbh.
                                          Solks is always joking, especially when he's serious.

Comment

Ah ya I was exaggerating obviously. But your have to think the worldwide interest Ronaldo will attract to your club has to be worth his price from merchandise and otherwise. I haven't crunched the numbers or anything.
                                            airport, lol

Comment

Comment

Solks is always joking, especially when he's serious.

viva la belgique

Comment

Hitch is some apologist for dictators all the same.

Putin, Xi...one wonders who his latest crush will be. He should go African, plenty of choice there.

I propose President Obiang of Equatorial Guinea. A real corker!

Comment

A tame affair in the soccer so far. Neither team wanting to give much away which is understandable but makes for shite viewing

Comment

George Hamilton Bingo

Black and French = Pogba

Fellani=Lukaku or Witsel

If in doubt= Chadli

Comment

Hitch is some apologist for dictators all the same.

Putin, Xi...one wonders who his latest crush will be. He should go African, plenty of choice there.

I propose President Obiang of Equatorial Guinea. A real corker!
                                                        I reckon his wife has hacked his account... all a bit Red Sparrow-ish all of a sudden

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                                            George Hamilton Bingo

Black and French = Pogba

Fellani=Lukaku or Witsel

If in doubt= Chadli
                                                            Yeah he's brutal. And the French accent. Yikes

Comment

For some reason the UK channels are gone so having to watch RTE. Martinez is a genius. Belgium have the better players. How many domestic league & European medals would have the French players compared to the Belgians. I'd imagine they are way ahead. Too lazy to check but would guess it's not even close.
                                                              Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Comment

George Hamilton Bingo

Black and French = Pogba

Fellani=Lukaku or Witsel

If in doubt= Chadli
                                                                  And that goal was scored by Black and French

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                    That inevitable paragraph towards the end of that profile!

Ah, he's pretty bad. Rumoured to, ahem, eat his opponents.

Comment

Actually the democratically elected Abiy Ahmed of Ethiopia seems to be making all the case for moving away from dictatorships in Africa!

Russia should be a democracy, I'm just not sure that China should be just yet. India is absolute chaos.
                                                                      The culturally monoglot China is a very different place than pluralist India.

I wouldn't call it 'chaos' though and I think Indians would be justifiably offended by that (it's as lazy as stereotyping Ireland as a country populated by feckless drunks).

Comment

Comment

George Hamilton Bingo

Black and French = Pogba

Fellani=Lukaku or Witsel

If in doubt= Chadli
                                                                          Was just about to post this. He's calling every black lad Pogba.
                                                                          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

wow Raoul you really know nothing about China. It's 50 different cultures at least. And my comment on India was a direct quote from the Chief Economist for India who was speaking in Dublin a few years ago. In fact he said 'you just couldn't imagine the chaos'. And he was directly working for the Prime Minister.
                                                                            Han and Cantonese. That's it.

The Uighurs, Tibetans etc are considered inferior.

Comment

Plus Indians play cricket.

So that settles it really. All countries that play cricket are awesome.

Comment

Plus Indians play cricket.

So that settles it really. All countries that play cricket are awesome.
                                                                                aaaaaahhhh Pakistan?

Super standard bit of play:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

...

Comment

aaaaaahhhh Pakistan?

Super standard bit of play:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMH2sU6ET1w
                                                                                    You are correct. Pakistan and Australia are dodgy spots.

Comment

Was reading up on Taiwan there as an extension of Chinese reading. It seems they represented the entirety of China until 1971 at the UN . They are also a member of an organisation I want to know more about considering its membership: the Unrepresented Nations and Peoples Organization
                                                                                      Your crowd are in it I see, which doesn't really aid its case to be taken seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                        A tame affair in the soccer so far. Neither team wanting to give much away which is understandable but makes for shite viewing
                                                                                        Aside from Giroud, pretty much every French player has been outstanding tonight. I've enjoyed this game a lot.

Comment

Hazard deserved better .

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                                                            Aside from Giroud, pretty much every French player has been outstanding tonight. I've enjoyed this game a lot.
                                                                                            Second half picked up alright but first half was a snooze fest. Chatting to rigger and he said it was workmanlike from France. Pretty spot on. Disciplined and effective.

Comment

...

Comment

This is the guy that is taking 50 million people a year out of poverty in China and the 10s of millions a year he is taking out of poverty through investment in Africa?

China has made it very clear as a stated policy they want peaceful engagement with the world and just about every action they've engaged in in recent decades suggests they adhere to that idea, even if their domestic politics is far from democratic (but politics tends to move towards democracy naturally as people get richer).

Someone intent on being a threat to humanity wouldn't have such an open view of the world, sending out millions of students a year to learn about the world, spending 100s of billions in mutually beneficial investment in the economies of neighbouring countries through the silk road. All the trends are that they want to be part of the world, rather than viewing the rest of the world as a threat.

Sure they have a few ongoing conflicts, but nothing close to what the US has, and these are all based around their own domestic territorial claims. They don't, unlike the US, interfere in far flung politics in the sole interest of their domestic well-being, and don't try to impose their views on the world.

Former employee arrested by FBI in California attempting to board flight to China

A former Apple employee has been charged by US authorities with stealing trade secrets about the company’s self-driving car project, according to a criminal complaint filed in California.

Xiaolang Zhang, who joined Apple in December 2015, designed and tested circuit boards to analyse sensor data. He was arrested by FBI agents on July 7 at San Jose International Airport as he attempted to board a flight to China, according to court filings.

The complaint alleged that Mr Zhang took parental leave in April 2018 and travelled with his family to China.

When he returned later that month, the filing said he told Apple he would be resigning and moving back to China, where he intended to take a job with Xiaopeng Motors, a Chinese electric car start-up with offices in Guangzhou and Palo Alto, California.
                                                                                                THE inventor Sir James Dyson has warned that Chinese students are infiltrating British universities to steal technological and scientific secrets and even planting software bugs to relay the information to China.
                                                                                                Dyson, best known for inventing the bagless vacuum cleaner, said he had evidence that the bugs were left by postgraduates to ensure the thefts continued after they had returned home.
                                                                                                The Chinese government is stealing technology for both military and commercial use. The goal is to speed up China’s military modernization and give China insight into the weaknesses of U.S. weapons systems.

“In the case of robotics and AI, two fields of study with the potential to fundamentally change the international economy as well as the future of war-fighting, China has released the Robotics Industry Development Plan and Next Generation Artificial Intelligence Development Plan with the goals of China assuming global leadership in the coming decades,” said Michael Wessel, chairman of the U.S.-China Economic Security Review Commission.

To accomplish its large-scale technology theft, China is using some of the 350,000 Chinese students in the U.S. for intelligence work.

An electrical engineering professor at the University of Tennessee was convicted of collaborating with some of his Chinese students to send classified defense technology to the Chinese government in 2008. The U.S. Department of Justice charged six Chinese nationals with passing technology secrets from Avago Technologies Ltd. and Skyworks Solutions Inc. on to China in 2015. Such information has helped China establish multibillion-dollar companies like Kuang-Chi Science Ltd., which develop telecommunication, aerospace and AI technologies.
                                                                                                Chinese theft of sensitive US military technology is still a 'huge problem,' says defense analyst
                                                                                                One of the reasons China is narrowing the military-technology gap with the U.S. is because of the theft of designs and other sensitive data, analysts say

Comment

Mahrez move to Man City for £60m overshadowed by Ronaldo's £99 move to Juve.
                                                                                                  Arsenal sign Lucas Torreira from Sampdoria for £26m plus plenty of other transfers knocking around. Been a good day of football merry-go-round

Comment

I wouldn't call it 'chaos' though and I think Indians would be justifiably offended by that (it's as lazy as stereotyping Ireland as a country populated by feckless drunks).
                                                                                                    it's a very interesting contrast between the two societies.

imagine you have to choose being reincarnated today as a random Indian or Chinese citizen, you're not going to be up all night running the numbers on which one has the better life +ev. its an absolute no brainier if you want a realistic chance at education and prosperity you choose Chinese
                                                                                                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Use to work with an Indian lad who had an official age and a real age. Someone noticed on his passport that he was down as 29 when he'd supposedly celebrated his 30th a year previously.
                                                                                                      Said it was the same with all his brothers and sisters, their Dad reckoned with what he was providing them (a decent education and a stable family home, but not a lot of wealth or networking behind it) that there was a good chance they would end up in a civil service job. But the compulsory retirement age being 55 or something and no concept of pensions or an old age pension meant he thought it'd be good to take a year off their age at the start thus giving them an extra years income at the end.

Comment

In relation to China sending out millions of students, if TCD is anything to go by, I have no doubts it's true. We had a class of 42, give or take, 3 of which were Irish and I'd estimate 40-50% were Chinese.

@Hitch, I may have got you your first citation on your AI & FRM paper, the guy I'd class as the strongest in the course has developed an AI for some area of finance as part of thesis.
                                                                                                        He was only complaining about the limited research, that MSc in UL in AI is a great option for anyone interested in pursuing a postgrad.

Thesis in on Friday, I'm finishing up the discussion now, such a slog at the last minute.

Comment

That's a mad sentence with which to end an otherwise great argument - 'little gains'. They've grown middle class from 30m people to 500m people in 20 years. That has quite literally never been done before. Urban per household income has increased 20-fold in 25 years!!!

Those are not little gains.

And we can compare them with India as a natural experiment which has been trying to grow with the added bonus of democracy.

They've seen absolutely nothing even close to the same economic gains, they've massive desperate poverty, and they also live six years less than the Chinese (how long someone lives being a standard holistic measure of wealth).

Saying all that relative gain "is far out weighed by the things they are given up and will continue to give in terms of freedom/democracy" is a bit of a mad view imo.

Freedom and democracy naturally follow after a certain wealth level. We've already seen that for the region in South Korea, Malaysia, Indonesia, and all other countries are in various levels of progressing that way. Democracy is not always the right system for every country at every stage in their existence, and I'd say only a tiny percent of Chinese actually give a fck about it too given their current system is so successful right now.
                                                                                                          What is the certain level of wealth required so that freedom and democracy will follow? By your numbers, the increase in wealth is completely unprecedented so surely there should be lots of freedom and democracy or at the very least, some freedom and democracy. But the reality is, that it hasn't happened, it's the opposite.

All media is state controlled - Link below shows China as the worst country in the world for jailing journalists

Access to the internet is heavily restricted.

I think you underestimate how many Chinese give a fuck and just how successful the current system is for the ordinary Joe Soap.

India is pure and utter chaos. Their infrastructure is completely non existent. Every other week, there is a major strike of some sort with some of trade movement/organisation that just makes it even more difficult to get on with things. There is regular power outages even for large global players. 30 years ago, they had the potential to rival China as it looked like both economies would take off but the Indians fluffed it.

Have you been following the ZTE debacle at all?

Comment

...

Comment

Ha excellent! Got an email from Columbia Law School saying they want to feature it on something they do. We're going viral!

If I could be of help email over the thesis. Always good to see what the most modern work in an area is, so it's a win-win.
                                                                                                              A brief look over the discussion would be very much appreciated. I'll send it on thanks

Comment

...

Comment

Looking to make a change to my Aer Lingus booking to change the date to fly home to a day earlier but it can't be done online and it's €100 on top of the cost to change the date when you talk to a representative, wtf.

BBV powers got any contacts in Aer Lingus?
                                                                                                                  "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

@LaoLao - I think your arguments are great by the way. Was just a minor issue with the conclusion.

Essentially at some point a population is smart enough that a de facto dictatorship (and China is quite a weak dictatorship - they have a lot of local representation and local rights) decides it is best to try to win the population's trust rather than use the fear of dictatorship. It tends to start off quite minorly (as China is now doing), but then they fully convert.

To my untrained eye to would appear China are skipping the whole democracy stage of national development and going straight to Corporatocracy.
                                                                                                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                                                                                                      Looking to make a change to my Aer Lingus booking to change the date to fly home to a day earlier but it can't be done online and it's €100 on top of the cost to change the date when you talk to a representative, wtf.

Not a lot you can do if you booked the normal rate and not flexi.

Why do you need to come home early? Just need to weigh up the cost vs necessity.

Comment

...In the last week or so, the share price of Juventus football club has increased by 35%, that's insane...Guess that's one way to make the money back...Shite, could have been a good investment...

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post

I sincerely doubt they'd have any interest in waiving 100e for me but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Separately what's a cool hip present for 3 year old young fellas these days?
                                                                                                                          airport, lol

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X