No announcement yet.

Best Android Apps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

in recent times moved from an iphone 3gs to HTC HD7 windows phone but let it fall and after several rows with the insurance company to replace it they just keep telling em that windows 7 phones are no longer available.. told them I deffo didn't want an android phone but after promising me the windows 7 mozart phone I received a bloody android phone!!!

God bless their stupidity! Got a HTC Desire S and I'm well impressed so far.

this thread should help with aps and stuff
    Spray Foam Insulation

Comment

Is there a simple app for inputting live hand histories?

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
        What is the best way of putting music and videos on it? I have a SGS2 fwiw.
        Not too experienced with Samsung phones but you can drag and drop through Samsung Kies. Justin tv is a great app to watch football matches btw

Comment

Originally posted by ikilldurrr1 View Post
          Is there a simple app for inputting live hand histories?
          There's an app I found called 'Poker Agent' which is very good. Tracks sessions, players and has a cool thing where you can input hands where they are published in the same format as converted online HHs.

Around a fiver or so IIRC.

Comment

There's an app I found called 'Poker Agent' which is very good. Tracks sessions, players and has a cool thing where you can input hands where they are published in the same format as converted online HHs.

Around a fiver or so IIRC.
            Holdem manager developed an app for the iPhone not sure if it's out for android but if it isn't won't be too long before it is

Comment

Originally posted by Macspower View Post
              in recent times moved from an iphone 3gs to HTC HD7 windows phone but let it fall and after several rows with the insurance company to replace it they just keep telling em that windows 7 phones are no longer available.. told them I deffo didn't want an android phone but after promising me the windows 7 mozart phone I received a bloody android phone!!!

God bless their stupidity! Got a HTC Desire S and I'm well impressed so far.

this thread should help with aps and stuff
              Hey Paul, welcome to the world of Android. Any questions feel free to PM me. Hope all is goods with you

Comment

Anyone know a decent ICM app for an android?

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                  An app called FilmOn TV was pointed out to me recently. There are a good few TV stations, including the UK terrestrial ones on it. No premium ones though, but useful for the likes of BBC, etc.
                  Great App. Installed yesterday and watched a few progs including the England game on ITV1. No connection problems or issues at all so far

Just about to watch the UKIPT Cork on C4

Comment

Anybody aware of any good music downloading app? Used to have gtunes but that got pulled from the market

Comment

my gtunes is still working away fine, i know if you look for it in the app market it wont download though, but if you already have it , it should still work.

you could try music download seems to be as good!
                      Her sky-ness
                      © 5starpool

Comment

I just got a Samsung Galaxy 2...Had Iphone up to now.....I sync'd my music in Media player to the samsung but it won't play....It appears to be playing but there is no sound...The music is from my CD's....downloaded music seems to be ok...Does anyone know how to get this going..?

Comment

Originally posted by Russh View Post
                          I just got a Samsung Galaxy 2...Had Iphone up to now.....I sync'd my music in Media player to the samsung but it won't play....It appears to be playing but there is no sound...The music is from my CD's....downloaded music seems to be ok...Does anyone know how to get this going..?
                          You should be able to just drag and drop it into a music folder but if not I think there is some software from Samsung called Kies that will sync stuff for you.
                          "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Originally posted by MBMurf View Post
                            Anybody aware of any good music downloading app? Used to have gtunes but that got pulled from the market
                            There's torrent clients for Android, not sure what they're called but do a market search for torrent and you should find stuff
                            "In the world, there are many kings but there is only one God. I am God, I am El Tren" :{)

Comment

Anyone use K9 mail app for mail? Great app except one little thing, with imap mail (gmail account) if I read a message on my laptop and mark it as read K9 wont update the message, so it shows up as unread until I also read it on my phone. This isn't an issue with the stock mail apps, but it is with K9 and is slightly annoying, anyone know how to fix it? I've push notifications and new mails can come in but it still wont update the messages to unread.
                              "In the world, there are many kings but there is only one God. I am God, I am El Tren" :{)

Comment

Anyone know a decent ICM app for an android?
                                Bumping this, I had an app on the iPhone which let me calculate ICM equity and run queries as to the EV of shoving/calling shoves in given spots.
                                The only thing I can find on the android market is one which gives basic chip equity.

Comment

Originally posted by TM2204 View Post
                                  Great App. Installed yesterday and watched a few progs including the England game on ITV1. No connection problems or issues at all so far

Just about to watch the UKIPT Cork on C4
                                  +1 great little app
                                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Sledgejammer View Post
                                    Anyone use K9 mail app for mail? Great app except one little thing, with imap mail (gmail account) if I read a message on my laptop and mark it as read K9 wont update the message, so it shows up as unread until I also read it on my phone. This isn't an issue with the stock mail apps, but it is with K9 and is slightly annoying, anyone know how to fix it? I've push notifications and new mails can come in but it still wont update the messages to unread.
                                    why use K9 over the native gmail client?
                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Sorry if this post is not in the right place but, i dropped my Samsung galaxy down the toilet. Can this be fixed? Or is it finished due to water damage?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnOB View Post
                                        Sorry if this post is not in the right place but, i dropped my Samsung galaxy down the toilet. Can this be fixed? Or is it finished due to water damage?
                                        Put it in the hotpress/bag of rice for a few days to give it the best chance of surviving. Take out the battery/sim/sd card first. Wouldn't count on it but you never know

Comment

know as the SatNav maneuver, your best bet is put the fone in a container of rice in an airing cupboard for about 36 hours.
                                          take out battery/sd card back off etc

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                            why use K9 over the native gmail client?
                                            I've multiple Gmail accounts, I could be way off and I didn't really look at it too hard but it didn't seem to handle multiple accounts very well. Think it didn't offer a unified inbox iirc, and there were other things I wasn't too sold on but I can't remember what.

Comment

Bumping this, I had an app on the iPhone which let me calculate ICM equity and run queries as to the EV of shoving/calling shoves in given spots.
                                              The only thing I can find on the android market is one which gives basic chip equity.
                                              There is one called Deal Maker that I have. I got it from Android Market - the website in the app is www.felizmobileapps.com

It has three methods:

Proportional
                                              Landrum/Burns
                                              ICM

I think it was free....
                                              sigpic
                                              www.d4events.com

Comment

Originally posted by Sledgejammer View Post
                                                I've multiple Gmail accounts, I could be way off and I didn't really look at it too hard but it didn't seem to handle multiple accounts very well. Think it didn't offer a unified inbox iirc, and there were other things I wasn't too sold on but I can't remember what.
                                                the email app (not the gmail one) can handle up to 5
                                                not push but can check on an interval 5 mins etc

actually, have a look here
                                                Gmail is the best email services provider and since there are lots many Google services which do not require registration can be easily accessed by a

Comment

The Gmail app on the tab seems to work fine with multiple Gmail accounts. It does not unify the inboxes but I get separate notifications of incoming mail from each account and it is very simple to switch between accounts in app.

I only have two gmail accounts set up on it though, might not be as good with more.
                                                  sigpic
                                                  www.d4events.com

Comment

Phones can be quite temperamental when water damaged but as the lads above said bag of rice n hot press does the job dont be surprised if it works then shuts down for no reason in a week or two after though. Most technicians wont touch a water damaged phone but fm mobiles on georges st or camden st in town are the best lads to go to

Comment

Thanks for the help everyone. I had it sitting in a lunch box of rice in by room for a week and no joy. It literally was in the toilet for half a second and i blow dried it straight away. It been turning on now but just says samsung on a blue screen and goes no further. Such a shame and i didnt take out insurance because never lost or broke a phone in my life until now obv ugh

Comment

Thanks for the help everyone. I had it sitting in a lunch box of rice in by room for a week and no joy. It literally was in the toilet for half a second and i blow dried it straight away. It been turning on now but just says samsung on a blue screen and goes no further. Such a shame and i didnt take out insurance because never lost or broke a phone in my life until now obv ugh
                                                        Worth a try getting in contact with samsung and explaining the situation, once heard of a fella who water damaged his iphone and contacted apple chancing his arm n they gave him a new one for 250 euro which isnt bad by any means

Comment

GMail with multiple accounts is one of the sweetest apps on Android, it's flawless.

I've 4 separate accounts setup with mine; 2 gmail & 2 Google Apps.

Comment

this is free today
                                                            GetJar is the biggest open appstore in the world, currently listing 994378+ apps with more than 3M downloads per day.

Comment

Looking at making the move into the Android Market

HTC Sensation and Samsung Galaxy SII seem to be the 2 market leaders.

I've read user reviews on both on a lot of the cons on the HTC seem to be poor battery life and poor sound quality. The SGSII they said is plastic, also poor sound and has poor wifi/bluetooth

I know people have both, so which direction should i jump?

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post

I've read user reviews on both on a lot of the cons on the HTC seem to be poor battery life and poor sound quality. The SGSII they said is plastic, also poor sound and has poor wifi/bluetooth

It's basically flip a coin time, if you can get your hand's on both of them to see for yourself that would be a huge plus.

As for battery life both phones aren't that good depending on what you do with them NewApproach said his SGII was sucking the battery life out of his phone, seems most smartphones wouldn't be the best with battery life but after the initial fun of them wears off you will get a better gauge of the battery.

Haven't used my HTC for much music but they have an SRS audio effect for video's which I think is excellent and haven't found any problem with sound so I wouldn't let that put you off too much.

You wont really go wrong with either phone you choose but I am a big HTC fan and I think the phone feels a lot more sturdy and I like their software better than the SGII.

Comment

Cheers Danny. I've read this whole thread and copied all the apps i like the look of into a post. There doesn't seem to be much in either phone alright. MrsF has the HTC Desire and swears by it. Both are available free on an upgrade and both come with all you can eat data so there's not much to seperate them!

Will be mainly using it as phone (), for internet and tethering, playing games and music. At the moment i'm edging towards the Sensation

Comment

HTC has the better software, Galaxy seemingly has the better battery and I believe slightly better hardware all round. On the battery front though, I've the HTC Desire HD and I get around 1.5 days on average use out of my battery, which is perfect.

Despite that, I picked up a third party spare battery for 5 pounds on Amazon and it's been a fantastic purchase, although I already had a spare charger which was handy. Effectively doubles by battery life as I have a fully charged spare on me at all times, I keep it in a zip pocket in my jacket and don't even notice it's there, it's extremely handy, so now I don't get caught out without being able to charge my battery and also I can spend all day playing with all the battery draining features of the phone without worrying about running out of juice by the end of the day, I'd highly recommend that and it'd pretty much eliminate any battery considerations.

Comment

Cheers Danny. I've read this whole thread and copied all the apps i like the look of into a post. There doesn't seem to be much in either phone alright. MrsF has the HTC Desire and swears by it. Both are available free on an upgrade and both come with all you can eat data so there's not much to seperate them!

Will be mainly using it as phone (), for internet and tethering, playing games and music. At the moment i'm edging towards the Sensation
                                                                      I know you have an iPod so I would still use that as your main music player if you can that way you are not sucking the life out of your phone's battery if possible.

I liked my HTC Desire until it went a little weird and haven't come across any trouble so far with the Sensation, I know Carlo recently bought the SGII and he gets crazy OCD about this kind of stuff and hacked it the other day with a new ROM to make it run better, drop him a line and get his opinions as well.

Comment

Just to give you an example of the Sensation Tony, i listened to my music on it from kick off at the ladbrokes, 3pm, i finished up about 12:30 am, the only time i was not listening to it was at the breaks, i was also browsing, IPB,Twitter and so on, i had the desire and swore by it and think the same of the sensation, you can watch videos on youtube to compare the 2.

Comment

Looking for an app for using my phone as a remote for my pc?

Comment

Gmote

Comment

Gmote
                                                                              Ya just installed it, its the nuts

Comment

Besides the UI's the sensation has a download speed of 14.4 compared to the 21.1 speed of the sII not a factor at the moment but if u have the phone on a 24 month contract might swing for ye...for 3 on the 40 euro on 24 month contract the sII is free the sensation is 99 euro

Comment

Originally posted by MBMurf View Post
                                                                                  Besides the UI's the sensation has a download speed of 14.4 compared to the 21.1 speed of the sII not a factor at the moment but if u have the phone on a 24 month contract might swing for ye...for 3 on the 40 euro on 24 month contract the sII is free the sensation is 99 euro
                                                                                  Both the SGSII and the Sensation are free upgrades on the €40 contract on 3

Comment

Both the SGSII and the Sensation are free upgrades on the €40 contract on 3
                                                                                    And vodafone

Comment

does anyone use bet-droid ( a betfair app)? is it any good?

Comment

I dropped my iphone down the toilet and never worked again, put it in the hot press as mentioned here but no joy, sent in to get fixed and still no joy so claimed of the house insurance. Told them i dropped it down the toilet. My excess on the house insurance was only €50 (there mistake in written not mine), got a cheque for € 360 in the post 2 weeks later.
                                                                                        Check your excess if you have house insurance and claim that way.
                                                                                        "Money won is twice as sweet as money earned"

Comment

Ordered the HTC Sensation on Sunday night and it arrived today so happy enough with that service. Have it charging the last few hours so not got a chance to play with it yet

Comment

Ordered the HTC Sensation on Sunday night and it arrived today so happy enough with that service. Have it charging the last few hours so not got a chance to play with it yet
                                                                                            Having fun yet?
                                                                                            Spent the last hour of so taking apart the nfc reader in my fone to emulate my work pass.

Comment

Finally installed Viber today seems ok so far.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                                Having fun yet?
                                                                                                Spent the last hour of so taking apart the nfc reader in my fone to emulate my work pass.
                                                                                                I'm pretty sure i could never have as much fun with the phone as you could! I'm just so many levels behind you in terms of what you can do with it

Downloaded a few apps recommended in this thread and a few from other threads and just getting to grips with it. There's a couple of things i'd like to do that i can't at the moment, so if i can't figure them out over the next day or so, i'll be asking here

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                                                                                  Finally installed Viber today seems ok so far.
                                                                                                  can u add someone on viber by searching for them?

I know gillian obv installed today as it came on my screen but thats because i have her phone number!
                                                                                                  Her sky-ness
                                                                                                  © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by michelle SatNav View Post

I know gillian obv installed today as it came on my screen but thats because i have her phone number!
                                                                                                    Yeah Danny popped up on mine when he installed it. You can invite people to viber from your contact list

Comment

I have no idea, I did get a text on it today from a number I don't recognise (not stored on my phone) and they obviously know me.

I take it it sends out some kind of message to other people in your phonebook that also have it installed?

Edit: Tony just confirmed it does.

Comment

I have no idea, I did get a text on it today from a number I don't recognise (not stored on my phone) and they obviously know me.

I take it it sends out some kind of message to other people in your phonebook that also have it installed?

Edit: Tony just confirmed it does.
                                                                                                        Yeah you get a message saying "xxx has joined Viber, do you want to call them or send them a message" so i'm suprised that you don't recognise the number because i presumed it only picks up people in your contacts list. When you open your contacts, it also shows who's connecting to Viber.

I take it we leave it running constantly in the background?

Comment

Yeah Danny popped up on mine when he installed it. You can invite people to viber from your contact list
                                                                                                          ya but you obv have danny in your contacts, i dont, thats why im asking if you dont have someone in your contacts can you find them some other way.

i really want to stalk Danny
                                                                                                          Her sky-ness
                                                                                                          © 5starpool

Comment

ya but you obv have danny in your contacts, i dont, thats why im asking if you dont have someone in your contacts can you find them some other way.

Nah it's not like Skype where you can search for peoples usernames. It's connected through your phone number so it's not readily available to randomers

Comment

Nah it's not like Skype where you can search for peoples usernames. It's connected through your phone number so it's not readily available to randomers
                                                                                                              cheek i aint any old randomer
                                                                                                              Her sky-ness
                                                                                                              © 5starpool

Comment

Yeah you get a message saying "xxx has joined Viber, do you want to call them or send them a message" so i'm suprised that you don't recognise the number because i presumed it only picks up people in your contacts list. When you open your contacts, it also shows who's connecting to Viber.

I take it we leave it running constantly in the background?
                                                                                                                Yeah you would leave it "running" that way people can contact you over it if needs be, you should maybe think able installing Skype on it as well because I think (haven't installed yet) you can make video calls on it as well.

Yeah it's kinda weird that the name doesn't show up, it might just be a setting the way the names/numbers are stored on my phone.

Person obviously knows me as they said "hello Manny Daxwell" but I asked who they were and they are just messing with me at the moment but I will find out soon enough, bugging me thou I can't figure out who it is.

Haha lols

Comment

cheek i aint any old randomer
                                                                                                                  I never called you old

Person obviously knows me as they said "hello Manny Daxwell" but I asked who they were and they are just messing with me at the moment but I will find out soon enough, bugging me thou I can't figure out who it is.
                                                                                                                  Maybe if you have Facebook included in your contacts then your number is probably sent to everyone on facebook that's a contact?

Comment

anyone have any ideas why viber doesnt appear in my marketplace? would if be beacuse its not released over here?

Comment

I never called you old

Maybe if you have Facebook included in your contacts then your number is probably sent to everyone on facebook that's a contact?
                                                                                                                      No don't have it set that anybody from Facebook appears, not that big of a deal I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by Trippie View Post
                                                                                                                        anyone have any ideas why viber doesnt appear in my marketplace? would if be beacuse its not released over here?
                                                                                                                        possible that your operator is blocking it...
                                                                                                                        try getting it here

it'll let you know if you are allowed have it in your area

Comment

I have the Galaxy S and it takes ages to send an email . Is there something i need to set on it to speed up the process .
                                                                                                                          Its the same wether i am connected to wifi or not

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X