No announcement yet.

Flush_Entity in the well

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just given this a bump on the IPB twitter thingy. Excellent read so far.

Comment

Thanks for the Twitter bump 5starpool as otherwise I wouldn't have seen this awesome well.

Delighted you've been so successful Griffin, I was a big fan of yours when you were with zEx, I am a massive CS fan, Naikon from eoLithic was probably my favourite player as I got to play with some of the Norwegian guys from time to time, far less exposure to the likes of yourself and the 3D guys.

Just the one question for me. What did 'zEx' stand for? Was it 'Zebra Extreme' or was that just a rumour..

Comment

Oh hi. I played a bit of competitive CS. None of us were brilliant players and we always lost when we followed the "standard" strats that everyone used (which tended to be developed by guys like you). We were at our best when we used strats that emphasised our teamwork or were completely off the wall. Can you give me some examples of a crazy strat you used that worked brilliantly?

Edit: I didn't quite phrase this how I meant to. What I mean is, do you think you have a talent for perfectly executing a proven strategy, or is it outside-the-box thinking that gives you your edge?
        Last edited by AndyFatBastard; 16-02-12, 16:13.
        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by ViperEyeIRL View Post
          Thank you for doing these....have come up with a few random question, will add more later if something more comes into my mind:

1) at what effective stack sizes you stop flatting raises regardless and you go in push/fold/3betc/3betf mode? I am particularly interested when you play 30x stacks, would you flat to a raise hands like AQ/JJ to at all, even IP?
          2) longest losing/break even streak in terms of number of MTT?
          3) biggest losing streak in terms of buy ins?
          4) how many online MTT are you planning to play in 2012?
          5) most common leak of MTT regs in early/mid and late tourney stages?
          6) how many tables at once do you play? would your game have significant changes were you playing half of that number?
          7) what are you VPIP/PFR/3bet % stats playing full ring MTT?
          8) best TAG online MTT player? best LAG online MTT player? most overrated online MTT player (you don't have to answer this if you don't want to obv) ?
          9) whats your expected ROI? whats your expected ROI in Sunday Majors only?
          10) whats you general approach to online MTTs giving that you play lots of them? high variance play or low variance play? does this change based on the field?
          Originally posted by ViperEyeIRL View Post
          Thank you for doing these....have come up with a few random question, will add more later if something more comes into my mind:

1) at what effective stack sizes you stop flatting raises regardless and you go in push/fold/3betc/3betf mode? I am particularly interested when you play 30x stacks, would you flat to a raise hands like AQ/JJ to at all, even IP?
          2) longest losing/break even streak in terms of number of MTT?
          3) biggest losing streak in terms of buy ins?
          4) how many online MTT are you planning to play in 2012?
          5) most common leak of MTT regs in early/mid and late tourney stages?
          6) how many tables at once do you play? would your game have significant changes were you playing half of that number?
          7) what are you VPIP/PFR/3bet % stats playing full ring MTT?
          8) best TAG online MTT player? best LAG online MTT player? most overrated online MTT player (you don't have to answer this if you don't want to obv) ?
          9) whats your expected ROI? whats your expected ROI in Sunday Majors only?
          10) whats you general approach to online MTTs giving that you play lots of them? high variance play or low variance play? does this change based on the field?
          Sorry about skipping those questions guys, thought all the questions I hadn't answered were on page 3, I'll go back and field those ones but I'd already answered half the questions in this one so I'll post these answers first.

1) There are very few situations I'm folding hands like JJ for under 30 BB. AQ is a very different animal because it's the weakest of all the premium hands, so levelling in 30 BB can be problematic (unless it's against a very laggy opponent or in late position).

Gameflow is really important and can definitely open up/tighten your 3bet/calling ranges. For instance a few weeks ago in the $320 6max I 3b As6s from the SB from a 23 BB button open, and snap called his 4b/shove, he had 8s7s and I held. I was willing to take that high variance spot because I knew how fed up he was with me and his 4bet jam range included tons of hands that I was not ever really dominating, but at least ahead of. And if he chickens out and just folds, I win the pot uncontested. Sure, sometimes he ends up having A9 or A10 there and I look like a dolt, but you really gotta trust your instincts in situations like that. Forcing showdowns and winning big pots is really important in winning tournaments. It doesn't really matter how many times you make the money, all that matters at the end of the day is finishing top 3, and you can't do that by hoping your AQ vs A10 will hold AND you'll win the KJ 77 AND the QQ vs AK etc, you need to take your edges where you can, and if you hold/suckout/win, you have so much more leverage/manoeuvrability to win more uncontested pots. Remember, to win a tournament you gotta get every chip in play, you can't just rely on things to "just go your way this once", because they won't lol. Poker's not a very generous game.

2) I had a 400 tournament downswing just before I started breaking out on Stars in December 2010/January '11, but even during that period I was up 10k on FTP for both months. I was actually a losing player on Party Poker from September through December through about 250 tournaments, but had a 19k/260% ROI January that's gotten me in the positive. I think that has more to do with them not having very good dailies + high variance majors. And I also definitely don't play as well/am not as comfortable with the software on sites like Party and Titan compared to Stars/Betfair (my alias on betfair is "grifsdik", currently #2 on OPR)

I really do feel confident that I've gotten good enough to beat the variance at this point, downswings will still happen but I haven't had a losing month on Stars for a year straight now. I actually thought that February may be a losing month, as I cashed in 1/53 Stars tournies in the first two sessions of the month (including a brutal Sunday) and was going to be taking a lot of time off. My cash rate after my 3rd session I think was like 6%. A few sessions later and it's up around 16% and I'm up 7k on the month after that really rough start so it's becoming very easy to delude myself into thinking I can keep it up and just... never lose. haha

3) not really sure, but I've definitely gone on 20k+ Stars downswings in the past, like during the September WCOOP until I binked one of the last events and cashed for $96k in the $500r.

4) I don't intend to play as many days a week this year, as I played 4-5, sometimes 6 days a week in 2011. But I played around 4500 tournaments on Stars in 2011, and because there are way more tournies since FTP went down ($25 and $51 hyper T's etc) I'll probably end up playing around the same amount (I've played 750 so far in 2012 if that's any indication)

5) This is a something I've kinda answered in other questions and I've already been ranting too much so maybe I'll go into more detail later after I've fielded some more questions.

6) The most amount of tables I will play at a time is around 20-22. That is way too much, and gives away a lot of my edge especially in the bigger buyin tournaments, so it's definitely something I'm trying to avoid doing in the future. I try to stay around 12, which is a number that is still pretty significant volume wise but I can play pretty perfectly. The less tables I play obviously the better I play; I don't really fall victim to the, I'm bored only playing one table I'm gonna do something I normally wouldn't leak, and that's probably why I have so much more success in the tournaments late in the day than the ones at the beginning. My most successful tournament is definitely the 3:30 $50r and 4:00 $10r, which once they get deep I have very few other tables left, whereas the tournaments I've probably shot the most amount of money in are the Big 109, those $109 and $50 turbo 2x's etc...

7) This is a question I can't answer because I don't use the HUD, but if you can find out what numbers someone has on me I'd definitely be curious to know!

8) Best TAG I'd say would be Improved, rdcrsn, Mement_Mori, YoungSupremacy... Best LAG would be Jymaster, ImdaNuts, stevie444, bananazoo, PKaiser

9) I'd say my expected ROI would be about 50% on Stars, 80% on Betfair. Sunday's the highest variance day so its really hard to say what I would expect my ROI to be.

10) Definitely high variance. If you win one tournament on any given Sunday you've made a ton of cash, and I'd much rather tell the story of that one tournament I played hyper aggressive, won a bunch of showdowns, and won the tourney, than tell the story of having "so many deep runs" but nothing going my way, lol.

Hope that helps!

Comment

Originally posted by Flush_Entity View Post
            the main difference between decent grinders and those that bring it to a different level:

kind of a difficult question to answer... I think that people are a lot lazier than they think, it's so easy to just accept that things will either go their way or they won't in MTT poker, when in reality if you really want to be one of the best you need to dedicate countless hours, surround yourself with better players, constantly be badgering them for advice and hand analysis. Have an open mind, don't be stubborn; if the way you play and the way you do things is right, then why aren't you winning?

Every once and a while someone on the rail will chirp me saying that I just run good, or that I played a hand so badly. If that was the case, then why am I winning and why is he losing? Experimentation is important, if there was only one right way to play, then everyone would play that way and noone would win.

Be unconventional, be unpredictable, there are too many variables in poker for one right answer in any given scenario. That's what makes poker so much fun and so fascinating to me.

Sorry for the ranty/vague answer, but hopefully that helps!
            Thank you, that is one of the more insightful and concise answers I've read anywhere. Really enjoying the well
            "Being wrong is erroneously associated with failure, when, in fact, to be proven wrong should be celebrated, for it elevates someone to a new level of understanding."

Comment

Excellent read

Comment

Originally posted by Flush_Entity View Post

Gameflow is really important and can definitely open up/tighten your 3bet/calling ranges. For instance a few weeks ago in the $320 6max I 3b As6s from the SB from a 23 BB button open, and snap called his 4b/shove, he had 8s7s and I held. I was willing to take that high variance spot because I knew how fed up he was with me and his 4bet jam range included tons of hands that I was not ever really dominating, but at least ahead of. And if he chickens out and just folds, I win the pot uncontested. Sure, sometimes he ends up having A9 or A10 there and I look like a dolt, but you really gotta trust your instincts in situations like that. Forcing showdowns and winning big pots is really important in winning tournaments. It doesn't really matter how many times you make the money, all that matters at the end of the day is finishing top 3, and you can't do that by hoping your AQ vs A10 will hold AND you'll win the KJ 77 AND the QQ vs AK etc, you need to take your edges where you can, and if you hold/suckout/win, you have so much more leverage/manoeuvrability to win more uncontested pots. Remember, to win a tournament you gotta get every chip in play, you can't just rely on things to "just go your way this once", because they won't lol. Poker's not a very generous game.

Love this post. Great well. Really very enjoyable.

Comment

Very enjoyable read so far Griffin, looking forward to further replies !
                  https://twitter.com/WesoFarrell

http://www.pmvtrust.ie/

Comment

Is it coz i is black?

Comment

Hey dude enjoyed some battles with you this year (play as sluglife on most of the sites) never really tackle stars apart from sundays as i find i play worse the more tables i play and find the other sites alot softer. Bout 8 is the most i feel like im playing optimal at.

What are the main differences you find from playing ipoker and betfair to playing stars? I find i play with less confidence on stars than on ipoker, generally try boss the game on other sites whereas on stars always end up playing nitty.

Deep in tourneys i often get told I play too high variance getting into wars with the other big stacks where I can comfortably grind my way further. Results in alot of ft bubbles/top 3 finishes? Do you go after big stacks or just wait it out to tackle them later?

Favourite nightly online tourney?

Biggest amount of makeup you've been in? And how long did it take to get out?

Do you play any sports or keep fit?

Congrats on a sick year, and ty for doing this. Gl

Comment

bump

Comment

Brilliant thread

Comment

Maybe we can find out from Rory Brown if Griffin B has an Irish Granny, for railing purposes in the Main Event ...

Comment

We should make a poker forum for shit like this.

Comment

If you ever continue the well

When was the last sunday you took off?

Use you go to mass? and if so, do you miss mass?

Ever dabble into omaha or always stick with holdem?

If you have ever been in big debt to your staker, did it change how you play?

Are you happier playing with a backer now?

If you won $1,000,000, what is the biggest animal you would buy that you could throw over the crossbar?

All legit questions.
                                Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Working...
                                X