Attempting to grind out a bankroll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attempting to grind out a bankroll

OK I'm going to make a serious effort to turn my pokers around this year (2011) and keep a log here
    Firstly I would like to say I have never played a bankroll for more that 48hrs,
    always end up getting bored/ tilted and trying to win every $ on PokerStars or FullTiltPoker so hopefully keeping a day-to-day / week-to-week log here might make me focus more

Ok so here is my schedule I'm going to attempt,

Starting Bankroll = €500 ($650 approx)
    (I want to play sng's with a 50 buy-in bankroll on PokerStars for the moment)

I was origanally going to play on boylepoker but looking at the rake on ipoker (10% for DON) vs PokerStars (4% for DON) I decided PokerStars might be more profitable for now
    I would love to have played this with boyles as in my eyes they are by far the best online poker provider and unreal when it comes to support & taking care of their players but for now I will stick to PokerStars (Maybe untill i'm rolled for $200 DON)

I'm not going to outline what number of sng's i'm going to be playing per day/ week for the simple reason I dont know,
    Just going to play when I feel comfortable playing and will outline a more detailed day-to-day target when I get a chance to think about it in depth more

January
    Game & Stake: $10.40 DON Turbo 10 Seat

Target bankroll by 31-01-2011: $1,625

Febuary
    Game & Stake: $20.80 DON Turbo 10 Seat

Target bankroll by 28-02-2011: $2,600

March
    Game & Stake: $52 DON Turbo 10 Seat

Target bankroll by 31-03-2011: $3,900

3 Months targets are enough for now and will update when the time comes
    Last edited by KevIRL; 25-03-11, 17:15.

DoN's will be tough, i have never put in any volume into them as they are viewed as a solved game, someone like Doke wil be able to tell you better,

the 10's and 20's may be fine but the 50's wil def be a reg fest which wil equal a variance fest and a larger bankroll will be require

best of luck with it eitherway be interested in your progress
    http://drjff.blogspot.com/

Comment

would RB not be an advantage here?
      or would volume not make it worth it?
      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
        would RB not be an advantage here?
        or would volume not make it worth it?
        honestly dont know what my volume is going to be, i'll have a better idea after Jan so as always I can re-evaluate come then.

+ even with 50% rakeback on ipoker they would still be 25% more expensive on the reg with DON
        Last edited by Donkathon; 30-12-10, 16:31.

Comment

Setting yourself monetary targets is never really a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Donkathon View Post
            Starting Bankroll = €500 ($650 approx)
            (I want to play sng's with a 50 buy-in bankroll on PokerStars for the moment)

January
            Game & Stake: $10.40 DON Turbo 10 Seat

Target bankroll by 31-01-2011: $1,625
            First off good luck and I look forward to following your thread.

I'm sure I read somewhere that over the long term you will level out about 6% ROI in DONs (I presume this figure excludes things like rb or bonus schemes).

Assuming you start at bronze star you wont really get anything back for a good while anyway. That being the case is it worth ignoring the "battle of the planets" promotion available to regular SNGs (or what makes you pick the DONs)? Even the lower payouts could be worth a decent portion of your BR.

How did you come up with the BR targets out of curiosity (and are my maths right in thinking it means about 1500 games in month 1)?
            May you live in interesting times!

Comment

what is your ratio between study:Play?
              just remember Rome wasn't built in a day.
              the best way to learn is to play.
              but sometimes you need to let others watch you play and have their say.

Comment

Hope you kill it, and get off to a good start.

How many tables at a time?

Comment

Why DON's?

Comment

Not played them in an age, but DON's are very tough to beat by a worthwhile margin. Like most new things, they were golddust for a while until the fish figured out how to play them better and an army of rakeback regs emerged. I was beating them by about 30% for a while but that shrunk fast once people started playing them better and once it dropped below 10% I jacked them in.

As DrJff said, they're basically solved at this point. This is true of all (short stacked) stts and 45 mans but it's particularly easy to figure out the DON formula. Unless you've got a decent pool of passing fish I can't imagine they're worthwhile.

For guys trying to build a bankroll right now, 45 and 180 mans seems to be the way to go at this stage (and mtts that attract less than 100 runners). The std in the <$20 180 mans on Stars has to be seen to be believed: I know some really bad players who can beat them comfortably they're that soft. And they're easy as Hell to multitable. Swings are a bit bigger obv: I know some very good players who have had 150 bi downswings.
                    My poker blog - Doking around in cyberspace

Comment

I'm on my iPhone so this is going to be very short,

My main motivation to play DON is I feel that for a long time now I have become very very over aggressive playing poker and a long stint and low roi % is what I believe I need to grind the patience back into my poker play.

I believe that if I can manage a 8% roi over the first 2000 games I can be rolled for $52 DON by March and at that stage I will know if I'm ready to return to normal games

I understand that DON are not everyones cup of tea but tbh if I can improve my patience and tilt control it is definitly worth the €500 investment
                      Last edited by Donkathon; 30-12-10, 20:43.

Comment

Ok after a bit of a delay finally started,

Its only 8 games but I'm going to count midnight as end of day

Last edited by Donkathon; 03-01-11, 03:36.

Comment

ok i'm getting pretty tired and tilting so i'm just going to go to bed and take later monday off and return tuesday which works out ok as i've to work tomorrow

Tilted towards the end and played 12 x $11 heads up games but happy that I didnt tilt so much I moved up levels chasing losses. Also played I think 2 $11 MTT in there with 1 $10 rebuy

DON's only

Last edited by Donkathon; 03-01-11, 05:42.

Comment

Originally posted by doke View Post
                            Not played them in an age, but DON's are very tough to beat by a worthwhile margin. Like most new things, they were golddust for a while until the fish figured out how to play them better and an army of rakeback regs emerged. I was beating them by about 30% for a while but that shrunk fast once people started playing them better and once it dropped below 10% I jacked them in.
                            This is very true,when they first came out I was cashing between 70% & 75% for well over a year.But slowly may win rate dropped to were it was not worth the grind and they are a grind.

This will be a interesting challenge for Donkathon and I will follow your progress,good luck.

www.irishkop.com Twitter = @Irish_Kop Facebook = Irishkop.com

Comment

well due to a fall and me knocking out my finger I wont be working tonight so can technicly try end the night with a win god forbid

Comment

Originally posted by Donkathon View Post
                                well due to a fall and me knocking out my finger I wont be working tonight so can technicly try end the night with a win god forbid
                                well that was a waste of time, i'm to soar and tilted to play any more tonight so I'll give up for tonight

Starting Bankroll: $667

Current Bankroll: $557.60 (-$109.40 Total)

Comment

How is this going..?

www.irishkop.com Twitter = @Irish_Kop Facebook = Irishkop.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dub13 View Post
                                    How is this going..?
                                    I was hoping this thread would just die a peaceful death & not resurface but oh well,

As usual I failed my tilt control & played higher & higher an as usual went busto.

There will however be a series 2, probably mid feb but not sure as I'm off to London in two weeks for a few weeks

It's clear to me that when it comes to online poker I'm just to much of a degenerate gambler to have any significant amount of a bankroll online. I though a stint of these DON would calm me down but holy fuck they are soul taxing & I lost patience with then. I know that I am a serious losing player online but I still believe I can at least become a break-even / small winning player with more work.

On my return I'm going to take a few tilt control measures I've been thinking of since this attemp

1. I'm going to have another go starting with a €500 bankroll but will not be depositing this in one chunk to a site as obviously I can't control my tilt yet.
                                    I'll deposit the €500 into my ulster bank (I don't use that account anyway) & only use that for poker.

2. I'm going to have to set some seriously small limit to start with. I play on only 4 sites PokerStars, FullTiltPoker, Boylepoker & Blackbeltpoker. I have other accounts on other networks but can't stand the software so I'm 100% sure I won't be playing on those & sticking to these 4. I'll be setting a daily deposit limit to these sites of 4 buy-in each meaning the most I could ever loose is 16 buy-in max in a day, still having decided should I just temp lock all my account except 1 and only play on the one site.

3. Play during specific time periods, I was playing whenever I could which meant playing while the kids were up causing distractions & annoyance when the noise is getting to me so will mainly play from 9pm - midnight to Start with

For as long as I can remember now I've been using the excuse "I'm just a casual player"' to explain my losses online but this is going to stop. I'm finding I'm playing more & more so it's time I stop being a fucking online tilt monkey and correct my game, in real life I've cut down on gambling so hopefully sometime soon the degenerate in me will die & I can just play poker seriously.

/ rant

/ thread

Comment

Goodluck with this interested to see how u progress, always just left a few quid online and played a few mtts or cash but not on a regular basis.I never really had the time or commitment to take it on full time as I work full-time. I play live not as much these days as over the last few years but I know alot of guys live regs who tried this and failed time after time.hope it goes well for u. One more thing speaking from experience u never get rid of the degen beast witin u just have to control him.
                                      location green and yellow stretford end

Comment

As mentioned DoNs are solved.
                                        Stars offer a new version of DoNs were payout is proportional to stack (after stake back), much more exploitable and maybe look that those games. the DoN fish add huge value as they are trying to play their regular strategy, which obviously is flawed.

Comment

sorry i have to but this up i was just reading all the comments and stuff and nobody seems to be putting anything up to help you , if you really want to be a great sit and go player you have to work hard for it , can i ask wat you are using to help your game to you go back through hand historys , do you check to see if your avg ROI is dropping every month or going up ,, as due to i went through all this and went from an avgROI +5% to an ROI of +17% and 19 % i recomend you download sit and go wizard and test yourself take the quizz and answer 200 questions every single day before you play sit and goes and just watch your win rate hit the roof but you have to work hard at this you have to keep checking your avg ROI and if you jump up in levels and your AVG ROI was +10 and then drops to +7% no shame in dropping down in levels till you get it back up by keep going through hand history s and keep using sit and go wizard every single day if you stick to this i have no doubt that you will be thanking me for this post good luck atthe tables hope this helps your win rate and if your winrate does nt go by this post ye may just get coaching i recomend cardrunners

Comment

jazzyfish@sngwizard.com pops by to say hello!

also, if you move up levels, and ROI dropped from 10% to 7%, then you'd probably be making more money, so dropping back down would be dumb tbh

Comment

Working...
                                            X