No More Fear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Lloyd,
    I haven't checked in on your progress in months, it's great to see that you're still going strong, great will power, well played. You look to be leading a much healthier lifestyle and I hope your life is all the better for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Arazi View Post
      Hey Lloyd,
      I haven't checked in on your progress in months, it's great to see that you're still going strong, great will power, well played. You look to be leading a much healthier lifestyle and I hope your life is all the better for it.
      Thank you very much! To be honest, the exercise is all routine now. I don't have to think about it too much. It just gets done as part of the working week.

The diet I could still work on in terms of consistency. Haven't nailed that down yet. But yes, feel a lot better generally. Productive few months!!
      "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Good going.

Squat technique needs a lot of work starting with how you address the bar and your weak wrists. Also, slowing down on each rep will tax your core a little more and make it stronger over the long run, and will have the added benefit of stopping you from falling forward on the later reps when you are fatigued.

Keep up the good work

Comment

Originally posted by TomD View Post
          Good going.

Squat technique needs a lot of work starting with how you address the bar and your weak wrists. Also, slowing down on each rep will tax your core a little more and make it stronger over the long run, and will have the added benefit of stopping you from falling forward on the later reps when you are fatigued.

Keep up the good work
          Thanks for the feedback firstly.

Could you clarify what you mean by 'weak wrists'?
          How should I address the bar iyo?
          As for slowing down each rep, my coaches have indicated slow down and as fast as possible up. Are you suggesting slowing my descent or the entire rep?
          "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Workout 108, TuesdaY 30th 18:30pm

Warmup

Push Ups
            Pull Ups
            Scap Slides
            Scap Push Ups
            Band Pull Aparts
            Stretching

Strength

HBBS: 1X10@60%, 1X8@65%, 1X6@70%, 1X6@75%, 1x6@80% – rest 2 minutes.
            8 @ bar
            5 @ 40kgs
            10 @ 60kgs
            8 @ 65kgs
            6 @ 70kgs
            6 @ 75kgs
            6 @ 80kgs

Derek watched the second set and said they looked okay - but I need a bigger breath at the top and to not turn out my toes quite so much in terms of stance. James watched the second last set and reckoned they were okay but to consciously think about driving the knees out on the way up too.

Finding these quite tough. Maybe my max hbbs is pretty much 100kgs!

Metcon

15 minute cap:

20 no clap burpees
            20 Front Squats @ 60kgs
            20 no clap burpees
            13:01. Not good though tbh. Couldn't maintain an open grip on the Front Squats - was agony on the wrists. So after 5 reps did the rest with a dead man's grip. Got the second attempt wrong and had the bar resting on my biceps for a couple of reps. Quite sore all over now.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
              Thanks for the feedback firstly.

Could you clarify what you mean by 'weak wrists'?
              How should I address the bar iyo?
              As for slowing down each rep, my coaches have indicated slow down and as fast as possible up. Are you suggesting slowing my descent or the entire rep?

It might be a high bar thing, but your wrists appear to be bent backwards and loose/weak when holding the bar in position. For me this causes looseness in the upper back during the squat. You want it locked/tight and strong. Obviously you dont want your hands straight like in a low bar squat, but you dont want to go too far the other way either.

Regarding speed, all i'm suggesting is being more deliberate particularly on the later reps where your form suffers. I rewatched the vidoes and your depth is good, and you look good on the early reps. It obviously fatgue that's causing you to fall foward and speed up on the later reps and even bounce at the bottom on some, but that will stop over time. You are doing almost 50 reps per session afteralll.

In either case, you've got your own coaches so they and you will know what's best

Comment

It might be a high bar thing, but your wrists appear to be bent backwards and loose/weak when holding the bar in position. For me this causes looseness in the upper back during the squat. You want it locked/tight and strong. Obviously you dont want your hands straight like in a low bar squat, but you dont want to go too far the other way either.

Regarding speed, all i'm suggesting is being more deliberate particularly on the later reps where your form suffers. I rewatched the vidoes and your depth is good, and you look good on the early reps. It obviously fatgue that's causing you to fall foward and speed up on the later reps and even bounce at the bottom on some, but that will stop over time. You are doing almost 50 reps per session afteralll.

In either case, you've got your own coaches so they and you will know what's best
                Thanks again.

Understand what you mean with hand placement. I should be more forcefully pushing my elbows forward and get more rigid at the top. It's a good spot and something I'll work on.

I think that what happens is I dive bomb down when fatigued cause I want it over as quick as possible. Need to be slower and more controlled down and another thing to work on.

The coaches spot stuff, but I put up the videos here aswell for feedback, so thanks for taking the time!

Comment

Workout 109, Wednesday 31st 18:30pm

Warmup

Push Ups
                  Kettlebell Snatches
                  Scap Slides
                  Scap Push Ups
                  Band Pull Aparts
                  Stretching

Strength

Deadlifts
                  5 @ 60kgs
                  5 @ 100kgs (touch and go)
                  3 @ 120kgs
                  2 @ 140kgs
                  5 @ 150kgs
                  5 @ 160kgs
                  5 @ 170kgs

Need to finish more aggressively with the hips. Once I get above the knee I kinda keep pulling when I should really just tighten the glutes and explode through. Still though, nice to get 5 up there at that weight even if they were more 5 singles in quick succession than 5 reps.

Metcon

15 minute cap:

3 rounds:

50 Kettlebell Swings @ 24kgs
                  25 Hand Release Push Ups

*Rest 2 mins between rounds
                  Did one round in 8 minutes and then packed it in. Do better next time, though that's retarded programming imo.

Comment

How do you find the whole crossfit thing anyway? Been doing it a good while so I presume from the effort and dedication you have put in that it's been very +ev despite the expensive cost? Do you plan on sticking with it for the foreseeable future? Always enjoy read this thread btw.

Comment

Originally posted by Teddie View Post
                      How do you find the whole crossfit thing anyway? Been doing it a good while so I presume from the effort and dedication you have put in that it's been very +ev despite the expensive cost? Do you plan on sticking with it for the foreseeable future? Always enjoy read this thread btw.
                      As I've said before, some of the programming is high skill orientated and that holds little or no interest for me. Overall, coaching is good / equipment is good / structure helps to keep you coming back. It's worth it for me because I wasn't going to keep it up on my own and maintain a balanced range of exercises armed with just a gym membership and my own knowledge and motivation.

I intend sticking with it into next year and then reassess. Crossfit offers no realistic competitive outlet for me. In 150 sessions time I'll probably be far enough down the road to think about whether I want to focus training in the direction of some competitive outlet or another.

Right now Crossfit is training for training's sake and I may feel it's a bit of a waste at a certain point. But no point in worrying about that yet.

Comment

Workout 110, Thursday 1st 18:30pm

Warmup

Push Ups
                        Pull Ups
                        Scap Slides
                        Scap Push Ups
                        Band Pull Aparts
                        Stretching

Strength

Overhead Strict Press
                        8 @ Bar
                        5 @ 40kgs
                        5 @ 50kgs
                        4 x 3 @ 60kgs

Last rep of the 4th set was a huge grind so Derek told me to leave the last set.

Metcon

15 minute cap:

75 Calories on Airdyne
                        15 Hanging Knee Raises
                        20 Kettlebell Swings chest height @ 24kgs
                        50 Calories on Airdyne
                        20 Hanging Knee Raises
                        25 Kettlebell Swings chest height @ 24kgs
                        25 Calories on Airdyne
                        25 Hanging Knee Raises
                        30 Kettlebell Swings chest height @ 24kgs
                        Only got 15 of the second set of swings done.

Very fatigued. On the fence with tomorrow morning, but either way it's party time for the rest of the weekend.

Comment

Workout 110, Friday 2nd 07:30am

Didn't get anywhere near enough sleep. Very sore this morning but pushed on anyway.

Warmup

Push Ups
                          Ring Rows
                          Scap Slides
                          Scap Push Ups
                          Band Pull Aparts
                          Stretching

Strength

HBBS
                          8 @ Bar
                          5 @ 40kgs
                          10 @ 60kgs
                          8 @ 70kgs
                          8 @ 75kgs
                          6 @ 80kgs

Owed 8 on the last set, but 6th only went up after a huge grind and Will told me to rack it. Bit of an ambitious program this week. Heavy Deads were the killer on Wednesday.

Metcon

5 rounds:

6 Front Squats @ 40kgs
                          Sled Push 50 foot
                          These were okay. Off to drink for Ireland now, happy to have punched the clock for five sessions.

Comment

Wedding last year:

Wedding this year:

Keep grinding, early days but some visible progress imo.

Workout 111, Tuesday 6th 18:30pm

Gave my system a horrendous gin : sleep ratio over the weekend so today was always going to be tough.

Warmup

Push Ups
                            Hanging Knee Raises
                            Scap Slides
                            Scap Push Ups
                            Band Pull Aparts
                            Stretching

Strength

HBBS: 1X8@65%, 1X8@75%, 1X6@80%, 1X6@85% – rest 2 minutes.
                            8 @ bar
                            6 @ 50kgs
                            8 @ 65kgs
                            8 @ 70kgs
                            6 @ 80kgs
                            6 @ 85kgs

Still lots of little things to work on, and the last 10 reps were heavy.

Metcon

20 minute cap:

4 rounds:
                            500m Row
                            5 Front Squats 60kg
                            ~18mins. We were encouraged to rest 1 : 1 but I instead decided to start the next round at the next five minute interval. Job done.

Test bench tomorrow with Lurker23 and very excited to see what it amounts to!!

Comment

Lol just came on here cause I saw your profiler change on fb and to say well done.

V well played (not so) big man.

Comment

Fair dues Lloyd impressive work

Comment

Wednesday 7th 19:00pm

So hit on up to Ballymun Leisure Center to train with Lurker23. The objective was to test my 1 rep max bench for no other reason than to satisfy my curiosity. The change of venue did serve to knock me out of my routine and I did no mobility work. Not very clever.

Warmup

Strength

Bench Press
                                  8 @ 40kgs
                                  5 @ 60kgs
                                  3 @ 70kgs
                                  2 @ 80kgs
                                  1 @ 90kgs

Plan was to get this far and see what the bar speed was like. It was good, so we decided to go to 100kgs. Added chalk to the equation as an aid

1 @ 100kgs **PB** (strong, so we proceeded to 110)
                                  1 @ 110kgs **PB** (grind, lost tightness on the way down)
                                  F @ 112.5kgs

Lack of tightness on the way down. Darren was of the opinion that I wasn't going to get it, but was happy to give me 10 minutes before having another go. Really focussed on breathing better and being tighter on the way down:

1 @ 112.5kgs **PB**

Sweet! Definitely a max lift I think too.

Deadlift
                                  Didn't have much of a plan here, but things escalated:

5 @ 70kgs
                                  5 @ 110kgs
                                  3 @ 120kgs
                                  2 @ 140kgs
                                  1 @ 150kgs
                                  1 @ 160kgs
                                  1 @ 170kgs
                                  1 @ 180kgs
                                  1 @ 190kgs

Went up real fast so decided to attempt a PR:

F @ 205kgs (broke the plain but pulled too far forward and had to stop)

No bumper plates so had to lower the bar each time which is a new one on me but didn't negatively affect things. To be honest, I wasn't mentally prepared for a max attempt and was never going to get it while in a 'look and see' mode.

Celebrated the bench with a Burger King!

Darren is a gent: happy to have his workout disrupted and gave me a lot of his time and patience. Much appreciated!!

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                    Lol just came on here cause I saw your profiler change on fb and to say well done.

V well played (not so) big man.
                                    Originally posted by conspicuous View Post
                                    Fair dues Lloyd impressive work
                                    Thank you!! Though much to travel yet on that front. Looking at another 18 months probably before I look 'good' as opposed to 'better'. Keep plugging away!

Comment

Nice bench PR.
                                      Always feels great to fail a rep and nail it on the second go.

Comment

Workout 112, Friday 9th 18:30pm

Warmup

Push Ups
                                        Pull Ups
                                        Scap Slides
                                        Scap Push Ups
                                        Band Pull Aparts
                                        Stretching

Strength

HBBS
                                        8 @ Bar
                                        5 @ 40kgs
                                        10 @ 60kgs
                                        10 @ 65kgs
                                        8 @ 70kgs
                                        8 @ 75kgs

Every rep went up though the last couple on the last set were grinders. Lots of work to do here before a smooth consistent technique is established.

Metcon

18 min cap:

5 Rounds:

15 No Clap Burpees
                                        15 Push Press @ 52.5kgs

Not ideal two days after a max bench!! Got 11 Push Press in the third round done. Actually happy enough considering.

Comment

Workout 113, Saturday 10th 09:00am

Warmup

Scap Slides
                                          Band Pull Aparts
                                          Stretching
                                          Dynamic Stretching

Strength

Clean High Pulls
                                          3 @ 40kgs
                                          3 @ 50kgs
                                          4 @ 60kgs
                                          3 @ 70kgs
                                          1 @ 75kgs
                                          1 @ 80kgs
                                          1 @ 85kgs
                                          2 x 1 @ 90kgs

Some technique changes here worked through with Will. Quite disappointing with how these are progressing. Not feeling like there is any improvement on the higher weights.

Metcon

18 min cap:

Row 800m

then

3 Rounds:

15 Pull Ups
                                          8 Deadlifts @ 120kgs
                                          17:53

All of the back pump

Comment

Your really coming along Bigman. Looking trim at the wedding! Keep it up.

Comment

Originally posted by aodea View Post
                                              Your really coming along Bigman. Looking trim at the wedding! Keep it up.
                                              Cheers Anto! Would be rude not to keep going at this stage.

Comment

Monday 12th 18:30pm

In Southampton for work (which will be a regular occurrence) and found a small bodybuilding place down the road from the hotel. Grotty and tight on space, but a squat rack, power rack, benches, barbells and plates. So I'll get some work done.

Warmup

15 minute walk to gym
                                                Hip and Glute stretching

Strength

Deadlift
                                                Didn't have much of a plan here again:

5 @ 60kgs
                                                5 @ 100kgs
                                                3 @ 120kgs
                                                1 @ 130kgs
                                                1 @ 140kgs
                                                1 @ 150kgs
                                                1 @ 160kgs
                                                1 @ 170kgs
                                                1 @ 180kgs

Stopped here. No chalk so the 180kgs was tough as grip wanted to fail. To be fair, getting to a clean 180kgs with no belt or chalk is good, but I need to knuckle down and get back to a progressive training plan on this.

Overhead Press
                                                8 @ bar
                                                5 @ 40kgs
                                                3 @ 50kgs
                                                2 @ 55kgs
                                                1 @ 60kgs
                                                1 @ 65kgs
                                                1 @ 70kgs
                                                1 @ 72.5kgs
                                                1 @ 77.5kgs **PB**

Yeah. Just went for this. Took five minutes before the PR attempt. Sick grind but got it locked out. Again, need to train rather than test this!!

Pendlay Rows
                                                3 x 8 @ 60kgs with 1 minute rest between sets

Form maybe not perfect here.

Comment

Workout 114, Wednesday 14th 18:30pm

Warmup

Push Ups
                                                  Kettlebell Snatches
                                                  Scap Slides
                                                  Scap Push Ups
                                                  Band Pull Aparts
                                                  Stretching

Strength

Establish a 2RM Hang Power Clean and Push Press
                                                  2 @ 40kgs
                                                  2 @ 40kgs
                                                  2 @ 45kgs
                                                  2 @ 50kgs
                                                  2 @ 55kgs
                                                  2 @ 60kgs
                                                  2 @ 65kgs
                                                  2 @ 67.5kgs
                                                  1 @ 70kgs, F @ 70kgs (clean not high enough)

Clean is still not perfect but Will reckons it "isn't completely offensive". Pulling a lot closer to the body. To be honest, hang power cleaning 70kgs is actually a huge improvement for me, represents a big PR on the hang variant.

Push Press was better, more leg drive - it had to be two days after Monday.

Metcon

15 min cap:

15 Pull Ups
                                                  30 No Clap Burpees
                                                  10 Pull Ups
                                                  20 No Clap Burpees
                                                  5 Pull Ups
                                                  10 No Clap Burpees
                                                  12:20

Need to embrace training for the next while now as distinct from testing.

Comment

Workout 115, Thursday 16th 17:30pm

Warmup

Push Ups
                                                    Ring Rows
                                                    Scap Slides
                                                    Scap Push Ups
                                                    Band Pull Aparts
                                                    Stretching

Strength

HBBS
                                                    8 @ Bar
                                                    5 @ 40kgs
                                                    8 @ 65kgs
                                                    8 @ 70kgs
                                                    6 @ 80kgs
                                                    6 @ 85kgs

All rep up. Tough.

Metcon

5 rounds of:

30 sec. Max Effort Kettlebell Swings 24Kg/16Kg
                                                    30 sec. Rest
                                                    30 sec. Strict pull-ups
                                                    30 sec. Rest
                                                    30 sec. ME Pushups
                                                    30 sec. Rest
                                                    Worked hard.
                                                    Last edited by LuckyLloyd; 17-08-13, 02:46.

Comment

Workout 116, Saturday 17th 10:00am

Warmup

Kettlebell Shoulder drill
                                                      Scap Pushups
                                                      Band Pull Aparts
                                                      Dynamic Band Stretching

Strength

Clean High Pulls
                                                      3 @ 40kgs
                                                      3 @ 50kgs
                                                      3 @ 60kgs
                                                      1 @ 70kgs
                                                      1 @ 75kgs
                                                      1 @ 80kgs
                                                      2 x 1 @ 85kgs

Bar path good. Second 85kgs felt strong and high.

Metcon

15 min cap:
                                                      3 Rounds:

Airdyne 50 Calories
                                                      5 Deadlifts @ 125kgs
                                                      11:13
                                                      Last edited by LuckyLloyd; 17-08-13, 14:12.

Comment

Workout 117, Sunday 18th 10:00am

Warmup

Push Ups
                                                        Hanging Knee Raises
                                                        Scap Slides
                                                        Scap Push Ups
                                                        Band Pull Aparts
                                                        Stretching

Strength

HBBS
                                                        8 @ Bar
                                                        5 @ 45kgs
                                                        8 @ 65kgs
                                                        8 @ 70kgs
                                                        8 @ 75kgs
                                                        8 @ 80kgs

Apparently I push over slightly onto my right hip coming out of the bottom. Another thing wrong to worry about.

Four weeks of Hatch Squat program done (less the Front Squats for strength part). Two missed reps. First time training squats regularly, think there will be real value to finishing out all 12 weeks fully.

Metcon

12 min cap:

Ascending AMRAP:
                                                        3 Dumbell Thrusters, 20kg
                                                        3 Kettlebell Snatchs per arm, 20kg
                                                        3 Chest to Bar Pull Ups
                                                        6 Dumbell Thrusters, 20kg
                                                        6 Kettlebell Snatchs per arm, 20kg
                                                        6 C2B
                                                        9 Dumbell Thrusters, 20kg
                                                        9 Kettlebell Snatchs per arm, 20kg
                                                        9 C2B
                                                        ….until 12 mins is over
                                                        Got round of 12 Thrusters done.

Comment

Monday 19th 18:30pm

Southampton.

Warmup

Stretching
                                                          20 minute walk to gym

Strength

HBBS
                                                          8 @ 60kgs
                                                          5 @ 45kgs
                                                          8 @ 65kgs
                                                          6 @ 75kgs
                                                          4 @ 85kgs
                                                          4 @ 90kgs

Falling forward at the bottom a slight bit. These went up fast though, so I'll probably have to start adding weight to sets for the remaining weeks.

Front Squat
                                                          8 @ Bar
                                                          5 @ 40kgs
                                                          5 @ 55kgs
                                                          4 @ 65kgs
                                                          3 @ 67.5kgs
                                                          3 @ 72.5kgs

Working off a 'max' of 80kgs. Went up easy (to be honest, I did Front Squat 95kgs in March so should probably be using a 'max' of 100kgs here too.

Push Press
                                                          8 @ bar
                                                          5 @ 40kgs
                                                          3 @ 50kgs
                                                          2 @ 55kgs
                                                          2 @ 60kgs
                                                          1 @ 65kgs
                                                          1 @ 70kgs
                                                          5 x 1 @ 72.5kgs

This is tested on Saturday, so the idea here was to prep the CNS.

Comment

I've added in clean high pulls to my workout B. Going to alternate then sporadically with power cleans?
                                                            Any tips or videos on technique. Not completely sure im doing them correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                              I've added in clean high pulls to my workout B. Going to alternate then sporadically with power cleans?
                                                              Any tips or videos on technique. Not completely sure im doing them correctly.

I'll add something more substantial in a few...

Comment

Right:

- set up with bar over the edge of the laces, clean grip, vertical knees, shoulders just over the bar, back set - i.e good solid Clean starting position;
                                                                - first pull involves sweeping the bar back into your hips with weight through the heels. NO ARM BEND. Because you'll be finishing with the arms there will be a tendency to make it all arms. But they should be locked out like in a Deadlift;
                                                                - second pull involves violently exploding the hips through and pulling the elbows back and up (while shrugging the shoulders) so that the bar comes up to ~just below nipple height while following a path just infront of your t shirt. Think pulling back, keeping everything into you. The bar starts at the bottom at the laces and pulls in to your hips, you then explode up and rock your torso back somewhat as your elbows go up and out and you shrug the shoulders;

Be warned that form errors will only feel apparent to you as it gets heavier, though someone watching will see a bad bar path; bent arms; lack of weight through heels; and elbows / shoulders pulled back and shrugged up at any stage. So video, video, video and go somewhat heavy every time. You should be able to handle volume on these.

You could replace Power Cleans with them for a while and up the volume (check my log for volume achieved in 15 - 20 mins) and your Clean will benefit massively if you get the technique right and do a bunch. My bar path is apparently massively improved since I started hammering away at them.

Throw a video up next time and I'll try and give you the benefit of the infinite coaching corrections I received doing these.
                                                                Last edited by LuckyLloyd; 22-08-13, 07:28.

Comment

Workout 118, Thursday 22nd 18:30pm

Warmup

Kneeling Muscle Ups
                                                                  Scap Slides
                                                                  Scap Push Ups
                                                                  Band Pull Aparts
                                                                  Stretching

Strength

Establish a heavy 3 rep Hang Snatch
                                                                  Meh, worked up to 40kgs but loads of technique work needed here.

Metcon

3 rounds for time and reps of:

3:00 to complete-

Row 500m (all out)
                                                                  Max Effort Pull Ups

Rest 2:00 after each round.

*Note: Each 500m row should be all out. Do not strategize to allow for more pullups.
                                                                  All out you say? Row times:

1:25.3 **PB**
                                                                  2 Pull Ups
                                                                  1:42.9
                                                                  3 Pull Ups
                                                                  1:46.2
                                                                  5 Pull Ups

Some fall off throughout, but monster PB on the first one!!

Comment

Workout 119, Friday 23rd 18:30pm

Knees providing some feedback this morning for the first time in a while so will have to think about snatching again.

Warmup

Push Ups
                                                                    Pull Ups
                                                                    Scap Slides
                                                                    Scap Push Ups
                                                                    Band Pull Aparts
                                                                    Stretching

Strength

HBBS
                                                                    8 @ Bar
                                                                    5 @ 45kgs
                                                                    6 @ 65kgs
                                                                    6 @ 75kgs
                                                                    2 x 6 @ 80kgs

Easy. However, the hip thing is a problem. Derek is seeing it on every rep and recommends a trip to the physio. Possible impingement on the left side.

Metcon

15 min cap:

3 rounds:

30 Box Step-ups, alternating (20" box)
                                                                    20 V-ups
                                                                    10 DB-handle Pushups
                                                                    12:50

Comment

Workout 120, Saturday 24th 10:00am

Beer onboard, not much sleep. Wonderful preparation.

Warmup

PVC Pip work
                                                                      Stretching

Strength

Establish a 1 rep max Push Press
                                                                      Some @ Bar
                                                                      1 @ 40kgs
                                                                      1 @ 50kgs
                                                                      1 @ 55kgs
                                                                      1 @ 60kgs
                                                                      1 @ 65kgs
                                                                      1 @ 70kgs
                                                                      1 @ 75kgs (this was way tougher than it should have been)
                                                                      F @ 80kgs
                                                                      1 @ 80kgs
                                                                      F @ 82.5kgs

Weak as a kitten. Going to sleep all the sleep tonight and try again tomorrow...

Metcon

3 x 1000m row; 1 : 1 rest to work ratio; aim for negative splits
                                                                      3:15.0 **PB**
                                                                      3:48.9
                                                                      3:38.3

Monster PB (8.3 seconds!) rowing angry after the Push Pressing debacle. Just kept the 500m pace between 1:35 and 1:40 and sprinted for home inside 100m. It's a solid enough time. The fall apart on the next two is obviously a problem. Power good. Endurance bad.

Comment

Workout 121, Sunday 25th 10:00am

Maybe 10 hours sleep? Felt a lot better this morning.

Warmup

Push Ups
                                                                        Pull Ups
                                                                        Scap Slides
                                                                        Scap Push Ups
                                                                        Band Pull Aparts
                                                                        Stretching

Strength

Colm coached us through these:

2 x 5 @ Bar
                                                                        3 @ 40kgs
                                                                        1 @ 60kgs
                                                                        1 @ 70kgs
                                                                        1 @ 75kgs
                                                                        1 @ 80kgs (Cass was doing some mobilising beside me and reckoned this was basically a strict press )
                                                                        1 @ 85kgs **PB** (Hit my chin on the way up. Actually got some leg drive and it was easy)
                                                                        F @ 90kgs (got it wrong)

Well, my Push Press is still relatively embarrassing, but at least I got a new PB I suppose.

Metcon

Row 2000m for time
                                                                        7:09.5 **PB**

Hard. In my head I wanted 7 mins but that was never there today. Still, it's an 8 second PB. Rowing numbers aren't bad:

Comment

Did you just repeat the same workout again because you felt unrested?

Did your coaches have any comments on this?
                                                                          This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                          All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                          The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                            Did you just repeat the same workout again because you felt unrested?

Did your coaches have any comments on this?
                                                                            Today was a bonus workout of sorts firstly. Secondly, I asked permission yesterday to repeat the Push Press test. And I just tested the 2k for completeness of the rowing numbers in the week - it's as fine a metcon conditioning item as anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                              I dip in and out of this thread from time to time - I don't understand some of the exercise terms but I can see effort. One thing that really stands out for me is the numbering of workouts - you just did 121 and that kinda blew my mind. Some effort Llyod - keep it up.
                                                                              Cheers! I'd also note that it's 121 Crossfit sessions. There have been a few more trips to the gym in Southampton and a couple of sessions randomly here in Dublin that I'm not numbering. I think it would be rude not to keep it up at this point tbh.

Comment

Tuesday 27th 18:30pm

Southampton.

Warmup

Stretching
                                                                                10 minute walk to gym

Strength

HBBS
                                                                                8 @ 40kgs
                                                                                5 @ 40kgs
                                                                                5 @ 60kgs
                                                                                6 @ 70kgs
                                                                                6 @ 80kgs
                                                                                4 @ 90kgs
                                                                                3 @ 100kgs

Need to up the 'max' here.

Front Squat
                                                                                5 @ Bar
                                                                                5 @ 50kgs
                                                                                4 @ 60kgs
                                                                                2 x 4 @ 65kgs

Easy, need to up the 'max'.

Overhead Press
                                                                                8 @ bar
                                                                                5 @ 40kgs
                                                                                3 @ 50kgs
                                                                                2 @ 55kgs
                                                                                5 x 3 @ 60kgs

Metcon

10 mins walk back to Hotel Leisure Center

10 Dumbell Snatch L, R @ 20kgs

Then:

Row 500m @ ~ 1:45 pace 4 times, 2 min rest between attempts
                                                                                1:45.9
                                                                                1:44.7
                                                                                1:45.8
                                                                                1:44.2

Comment

Odd question: What resistance setting do you have your C2 on, and why?

Comment

Odd question: What resistance setting do you have your C2 on, and why?
                                                                                    9 or 10. Reasoning is I generate a lot of power with each individual stroke working around 21 per min (30 for a flat out 500m) and it 'feels' better to have a lot of feedback on each one.

Whether that is right or not who knows. I'm not aiming to mimick the resistance of water so don't have it set at 4.
                                                                                    Last edited by LuckyLloyd; 28-08-13, 11:24.

Comment

9 or 10. Reasoning is I generate a lot of power with each individual stroke working around 21 per min (30 for a flat out 500m) and it 'feels' better to have a lot of feedback on each one.

Whether that is right or not who knows. I'm not aiming to mimick the resistance of water so don't have it set at 4.
                                                                                      What's your goal on the rowing legs? Personally i find three consistent (+10 secs/500m) hard rows to be more benficial to my conditioning than one beastly row, and then two wastes of time. I understand about trying to have a PB, but going for a PB in every session can be a physical killer on the rest of the session, and physchological killer for progression.

Obviously, your goals are different and what you're doing is working for you.

Comment

What's your goal on the rowing legs? Personally i find three consistent (+10 secs/500m) hard rows to be more benficial to my conditioning than one beastly row, and then two wastes of time. I understand about trying to have a PB, but going for a PB in every session can be a physical killer on the rest of the session, and physchological killer for progression.

Obviously, your goals are different and what you're doing is working for you.
                                                                                        Well, the goals each time are different. The 500m PB was set where the denoted approach for each row was "All Out". Saturday was "90% with negative splits" so I shouldn't have set a PB on the first one. Last night was about consistent intervals which I ably achieved imo.

It will probably be a couple of months again before I have another "all out" 500m row programmed. Most of my rowing is done at fairly consistent pacing during metcons. I think my log attests to that. I did test last week, but it will be back to sub maximal efforts for a period with the rowing.

Any thoughts on the dampner setting? What do you use yourself and why?

Comment

Any thoughts on the dampner setting? What do you use yourself and why?
                                                                                          When i started i was pulling at 10, because i was big and strong and i could achieve big power and quick numbers by pulling with power. The problem was that it was mostly arms, crap technique and potentially could have led to a few injuries. I spoke to my S&C coaches and a good rower i trainned with and changed pretty much everything.

In my current cycle (week four of eight), i row three times a week, all at 6. I find it gives me a good balance of good technique and power output, and i get great conditioning improvemnets from it. I try to keep my SPM between 24 and 28. The C2 is second only to a prowler when it comes to conditioing improvements imo.

I do:
                                                                                          - 10*250m/45s rest then repeat five minutes later
                                                                                          - 30mins @ 1:55/500m. My goal is to get 8000m, but havent quite got there yet.
                                                                                          - 5*500m/2mins rest

Interestingly there's a aussie guy with a 1:05 500m who only uses arms. His legs dont even bend.

Comment

When i started i was pulling at 10, because i was big and strong and i could achieve big power and quick numbers by pulling with power. The problem was that it was mostly arms, crap technique and potentially could have led to a few injuries. I spoke to my S&C coaches and a good rower i trainned with and changed pretty much everything.

In my current cycle (week four of eight), i row three times a week, all at 6. I find it gives me a good balance of good technique and power output, and i get great conditioning improvemnets from it. I try to keep my SPM between 24 and 28. The C2 is second only to a prowler when it comes to conditioing improvements imo.

I do:
                                                                                            - 10*250m/45s rest then repeat five minutes later
                                                                                            - 30mins @ 1:55/500m. My goal is to get 8000m, but havent quite got there yet.
                                                                                            - 5*500m/2mins rest

Interestingly there's a aussie guy with a 1:05 500m who only uses arms. His legs dont even bend.
                                                                                            1:05? He knows that smashes the current world record right?

Comment

1:05? He knows that smashes the current world record right?
                                                                                              I cant find the video, but i was sure it was 1:05 Obviously not.
                                                                                              Last edited by TomD; 28-08-13, 15:51.

Comment

I cant find the video, but i was sure it was 1:05 Obviously not.
                                                                                                Ha! I'm sure it's still lightning though.

On a general level I hear you with the suggestions about maximising the benefits from rowing. My times are good enough that I may consider training it more intently, we'll see...

Comment

So impressed with everything you've achieved so far. Serious work being put in each session and it obviously is showing in all aspects of fitness, strength and body composition. When I first read this thread i never thought it would get this far, nothing to do with you personally or anything but its rare you find somebody that will stick to something and continue logging it. Fair play

Comment

Wednesday 28th 18:30pm

Southampton.

Warmup

Stretching
                                                                                                    10 minute walk to gym

Strength

Deadlift
                                                                                                    5 @ 60kgs
                                                                                                    5 @ 100kgs
                                                                                                    3 @ 120kgs
                                                                                                    2 @ 140kgs
                                                                                                    1 @ 150kgs
                                                                                                    5 x 3 @ 160kgs
                                                                                                    1 @ 170kgs
                                                                                                    1 @ 180kgs

Hard

Lat Pulldown
                                                                                                    6 x 8 @ '70kgs'

Seated with a wide grip. Just to add some tiny to the yang of recent overhead pressing

No gas left in the tank so I pussied out of the metcon.

Comment

Originally posted by drive56 View Post
                                                                                                      So impressed with everything you've achieved so far. Serious work being put in each session and it obviously is showing in all aspects of fitness, strength and body composition. When I first read this thread i never thought it would get this far, nothing to do with you personally or anything but its rare you find somebody that will stick to something and continue logging it. Fair play
                                                                                                      Thanks a lot. But - and I love giving myself credit - the progress is a damning indictment of how I spent much of my twenties. I noted it at the beginning, but I was a decent athlete when I was younger and getting to this level is easier than it would be for most people. The question is where I might get to with another couple of year's work. But I should never have allowed myself to get into the state I did. Anyway, keep grinding.

Comment

Thursday 29th 18:30pm

Southampton.

Warmup

Stretching
                                                                                                        10 minute walk to gym

Strength

HBBS
                                                                                                        8 @ Bar
                                                                                                        5 @ 40kgs
                                                                                                        5 @ 60kgs
                                                                                                        5 @ 70kgs
                                                                                                        4 @ 80kgs
                                                                                                        4 @ 90kgs
                                                                                                        4 @ 100kgs
                                                                                                        3 @ 110kgs
                                                                                                        1 @ 120kgs

120kgs went up fast

Bench Press
                                                                                                        8 @ Bar
                                                                                                        5 @ 40kgs
                                                                                                        5 @ 60kgs
                                                                                                        3 @ 70kgs
                                                                                                        5 x 5 @ 80kgs
                                                                                                        1 @ 90kgs
                                                                                                        1 @ 100kgs

Metcon

10 mins walk back to Hotel Leisure Center

Row 250m x 7, 1 min rest between attempts
                                                                                                        All at 48.x

Comment

Workout 122, Saturday 31st 11:00am

Drank all the drink again last night.

Warmup

Dynamic Stretching
                                                                                                          PVC Pipe Work

Strength

Establish a 1 rep max Power Snatch
                                                                                                          Some Bar work
                                                                                                          2 @ 30kgs
                                                                                                          2 @ 35kgs
                                                                                                          2 @ 40kgs
                                                                                                          3 x F @ 45kgs

Frustrating.

Establish a heavy 3 rep Front Squat
                                                                                                          3 @ 40kgs
                                                                                                          3 @ 50kgs
                                                                                                          3 @ 60kgs
                                                                                                          3 @ 75kgs
                                                                                                          3 @ 90kgs
                                                                                                          1 @ 100kgs (lost it forward at the top so had to drop it)

75 and 90kgs were real solid, watched by Derek and James respectively. Nice one.

Metcon

15 min cap:

3 rounds:

500m
                                                                                                          21 Kettlebell swings @ 24kgs
                                                                                                          12 Pull Ups
                                                                                                          3rd round of rowing done and about to address the kettlebell when time expired.

Comment

Workout 123 (wayhay!!), Sunday 1st 10:00am

Warmup

Push Ups
                                                                                                            Pull Ups
                                                                                                            Band Pull Aparts
                                                                                                            Wall Slides
                                                                                                            Scap Push-ups
                                                                                                            Stretching

Strength

HBBS
                                                                                                            8 @ Bar
                                                                                                            5 @ 45kgs
                                                                                                            5 @ 65kgs
                                                                                                            5 @ 80kgs
                                                                                                            3 x 4 @ 90kgs

Getting into the groove here. Will has suggested upping the 'max' to work reps off to 130kgs so it'll get tougher this week.

Metcon

12 min cap:

100 no jump burpees with 5 Pull Ups every 2 mins starting on 0:00
                                                                                                            77 Burpees complete before time expired. Oh, how I sweated during this.
                                                                                                            Last edited by LuckyLloyd; 03-09-13, 20:01.

Comment

Workout 124, Tuesday 3rd 18:30pm

Warmup

Push Ups
                                                                                                              Hanging Knee raises
                                                                                                              Band Pull Aparts
                                                                                                              Wall Slides
                                                                                                              Scap Push-ups
                                                                                                              Stretching

Strength

HBBS
                                                                                                              Upping the max on squats:

Squat - let's assume a 1RM in the region of 130kg (give or take), and attempt the percentages roughly. Don't force it, just go a little heavier than presecribed if a set feels easy, and go a little lighter than presecribed if it feels hard. We'll keep the same sets and reps template.
                                                                                                              8 @ Bar
                                                                                                              5 @ 60kgs
                                                                                                              5 @ 75kgs
                                                                                                              5 @ 90kgs
                                                                                                              5 @ 100kgs
                                                                                                              2 @ 110kgs
                                                                                                              3 @ 115kgs (3rd rep an insane grind - maybe 6 seconds?)

Colm allowed me some extra time to rest

1 @ 125kgs **PB**

Colm reckoned I kept my shape well and depth was good.

An 18 minute clock is so tight for these when you consider fitting in warmups and setting up the bar, etc. Probably could have dropped the 8 with the bar. That single is the heaviest I've squatted since I was in UCD. And who knows about depth and form back then.

Metcon

18 min cap:

3 rounds:

15 Push Ups
                                                                                                              15 Ring Rows
                                                                                                              Row 75 Calories
                                                                                                              Wasn't set up when clock started so lost a couple of seconds. Finished the 8th Push Up of the third round.

Comment

This has been a difficult period training wise due to life getting in the way of the routine. Loads of social events / people coming home since the middle of July has precipitated lots of drinking and late nights. Travelling over and back to Southampton for work has upset the schedule too. Diet and sleep has been disrupted and there have been a couple of less than stellar sessions as a result. But I've kept at it, kept grinding away. Things should settle down again in October and I can get back into a more focussed rhythm.

Knees are much better and getting lots of comments about how 'muscular' I look lately which is good.

So, with things going well I've decided to target a competitive event and think I'll compete at the National Indoor Rowing Championships in Limerick in November. Probably just do the 500m as I'm over a minute away from the winning time at the last run of the event in the 2k. My 500m time would be within the top 10 at the last run though and considering it was a 4 second PB I've probably a few seconds more available if I focus on it a little more. Probably would need 1:19.0 to have any shot of winning it, but I'm interested to see what I'm capable of.

Colm and Will are going to see if they can work something into my programming to aid in the preparation, but just turning up and continuing to train as we are consistently would probably see me improve to some extent anyway (the time has come down without focussing on it to date). Just having a goal to work towards over the next 12 weeks would be a reward in of itself.

Comment

This has been a difficult period training wise due to life getting in the way of the routine. Loads of social events / people coming home since the middle of July has precipitated lots of drinking and late nights. Travelling over and back to Southampton for work has upset the schedule too. Diet and sleep has been disrupted and there have been a couple of less than stellar sessions as a result. But I've kept at it, kept grinding away. Things should settle down again in October and I can get back into a more focussed rhythm.

Knees are much better and getting lots of comments about how 'muscular' I look lately which is good.

So, with things going well I've decided to target a competitive event and think I'll compete at the National Indoor Rowing Championships in Limerick in November. Probably just do the 500m as I'm over a minute away from the winning time at the last run of the event in the 2k. My 500m time would be within the top 10 at the last run though and considering it was a 4 second PB I've probably a few seconds more available if I focus on it a little more. Probably would need 1:19.0 to have any shot of winning it, but I'm interested to see what I'm capable of.

Colm and Will are going to see if they can work something into my programming to aid in the preparation, but just turning up and continuing to train as we are consistently would probably see me improve to some extent anyway (the time has come down without focussing on it to date). Just having a goal to work towards over the next 12 weeks would be a reward in of itself.
                                                                                                                  You must have had a great shot at being some sort of professional athlete when you were young. Thats phenomenal progress.

Comment

Originally posted by colquhom View Post
                                                                                                                    You must have had a great shot at being some sort of professional athlete when you were young. Thats phenomenal progress.
                                                                                                                    Ah, don't say shit like that!! I never had the right mentality or drive tbh and in anycase it doesn't matter now!!

Comment

Workout 125, Wednesday 4th 18:30pm

Bus got stuck behind a funeral procession so didn't get onto the gym floor until the end of the warmup

Warmup

200m Row
                                                                                                                      Band Pull Aparts
                                                                                                                      Wall Slides
                                                                                                                      Stretching

Strength

12 minutes to hit a 3x3 Push Press (not 3RM, just near maximal for 3 sets. no missed reps)
                                                                                                                      8 @ Bar
                                                                                                                      5 @ 35kgs
                                                                                                                      3 @ 60kgs
                                                                                                                      3 x 3 @ 70kgs

Still not getting enough leg drive on these...

Metcon

20 min cap:

5 rounds:

3 Pull Ups
                                                                                                                      20 Wall Balls @ 20lbs Ball
                                                                                                                      3 Pull Ups

Rest one minute after each round
                                                                                                                      All work done. Started each round in four minute intervals so probably gave myself an extra 10 - 30 seconds rest each time. Bitch of a variation coming after the Push Presses!!

Comment

So anyway, Will is going to put together a specific piece of Western Periodisation programming for the next 12 weeks to aid in preparation for the rowing event. Going to include one heavy deadlift day, some squatting, stuff like clean high pulls or speed deadlifts with bands and chains and lots and lots of rowing in the metcons.

So 12 weeks focussing on strength and power. Let's see what I can do! Very excited.

Comment

Workout 126, Saturday 7th 09:00am

Two sub five hour sleep nights in a row. Need to do better there.

Warmup

Shoulder Band work
                                                                                                                          Dynamic Stretching

Strength

Some Bar work
                                                                                                                          5 @ 40kgs
                                                                                                                          3 @ 60kgs
                                                                                                                          1 @ 70kgs
                                                                                                                          1 @ 75kgs
                                                                                                                          1 @ 80kgs
                                                                                                                          F @ 87.5kgs

Nearly! Got good drive on the miss and had it past halfway when it stalled and despite fighting I couldn't finish out.

Establish a heavy 3 rep Front Squat
                                                                                                                          3 @ 45kgs
                                                                                                                          3 @ 65kgs
                                                                                                                          3 @ 80kgs
                                                                                                                          3 @ 95kgs
                                                                                                                          3 @ 105kgs

Happy with that.

Metcon

10min cap:

3 rounds:

10 Deadlifts @ 125kgs
                                                                                                                          15 Dumbell Push Presses @ 20kgs each side
                                                                                                                          3 of the Dumbell presses in the third round done. Deads were fine obv, but Presses were a nightmare, shoulders already fatigued.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X