"Concentrate on the long game. Work on a six-pack by Christmas"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Concentrate on the long game. Work on a six-pack by Christmas"

Joined the gym in DCU a few weeks ago and presume I'm doing the gym equivalent of clicking buttons. So I thought I’d start this thread as a place to put lots of inane questions.

Basically, I go 3 times a week, and my routine looks something (probably loltastic):

25mins +5mins cool down on the cross-trainer to warm up, at level 15 keeping the rpms to 65-70, so HR ends up being about 180 for the last 5/10 mins.

Then 1k on the rowing machine, at about 2:10 split. Should probably up this by taking a break and then doing another 1k.

And then I just hit all the machines doing two sets of whatever weight leaves me about to do 8-10 reps, which is usually about 35kgs for most of the upper body stuff.

Trying to get back into swimming too, so usually just do about 300m warm up then 3/4 sets of 1:40 100m, with a few more relaxed 150m sets. I really want to make big improvements here.

I know free weights/squats etc are meant to be what I’m doing, but judging by the limited range of movement in my arms for a couple of days after my first time doing this, I’m guessing I’m doing more harm than good. At least until I get a better idea of what I’m meant to be doing.

I remember from my younger days that taking in protein within thirty mins exercise is pretty crucial. Sometimes having food isn’t too convenient. Is just drinking milk after acceptable? For some reason I seem to remember that it’s not a great/efficient source but that might just be nonsense.

I don’t have any great aspirations for what I’m trying to achieve, just about getting fitter etc.

I weighted myself the other day at a surprising 64kg. I seemed to have lost about half a stone since I started. I thought I might start going the other way. The slight beer belly is less noticeable now though.

Any sort of tips for things I should be doing?
    Last edited by Denny Crane; 18-03-12, 17:40.

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

I remember from my younger days that taking in protein within thirty mins exercise is pretty crucial. Sometimes having food isn’t too convenient. Is just drinking milk after acceptable? For some reason I seem to remember that it’s not a great/efficient source but that might just be nonsense.
    I remember reading that ice cream is fairly good for this, better than milk although I cant see why it would be.

edit: The rationale is ice cream triggers a surge of insulin better than most foods do. That will put a damper on post-workout protein breakdown.
    Last edited by CheckRaise; 18-03-12, 18:36.

Comment

Will follow this. My knowledge of this stuff is pretty donktastic although I have heard of guys doing weights etc. using protein shakes.
      gl gl

Comment

25mins +5mins cool down on the cross-trainer to warm up, at level 15 keeping the rpms to 65-70, so HR ends up being about 180 for the last 5/10 mins.
        Warm up doesnt need to be this long. 10-15 mins tops and should involve some low impact exercises that use your entire body. If you're lifting weights we need to prepare every muscle and joint in the body for the work ahead. Cross trainer/rower isnt terrible for this but there's other things you can do also.

Good warmup for a beginner would be;

Band pull apart(you can use a towel also)
        Bw squat
        Bw lunge
        Wall slide
        Mountain climb

2 circuits of that and you should be good to go. Should take 8-10 mins or so.

I know free weights/squats etc are meant to be what I’m doing, but judging by the limited range of movement in my arms for a couple of days after my first time doing this, I’m guessing I’m doing more harm than good. At least until I get a better idea of what I’m meant to be doing.
        Yeah machine weights are grand for a beginner til you get some decent mobility and flexibility. Wouldn't stay on them for more then a few weeks though. Free weights are superior in every conceivable way.

Milk will just make you fat if you drink too much of it. Prepack a chicken fillet, bring a tin of tuna, buy some protein powder. Easy and no excuse not to really, imo.

Ideally you'd want to take in 20-30g of protein within 10-20 mins of the workout then around 80g(plus carbs if you like) within 90 mins of that.

I don’t have any great aspirations for what I’m trying to achieve, just about getting fitter etc.

I weighted myself the other day at a surprising 64kg. I seemed to have lost about half a stone since I started. I thought I might start going the other way. The slight beer belly is less noticeable now though.

Any sort of tips for things I should be doing?
        Fitter is a very vauge term. You want to get stronger and feel better, do weights.

You wanna get high endurance and look like a drug dealer? Do cardio.

Best way to get ripped is lift heavy + move around a lot + eat tons.

64kg seems very very light to me(dunno how tall you are) but it sure sounds like some bulking is the order of the day. Just lift a load of weights and eat tons for 6-8 weeks and see how you feel from there.

Also, best tip I can give is go see a professional trainer(not these guys in your standard gym, they hand out blank slate, multi purpose programmes that wont do anything for you and won't be tailor made to your strengths and weaknesses one bit.) Spend a bit of money and see a professional 1 on 1. Won't regret it.
        Last edited by Moneymaker; 19-03-12, 18:22.

Comment

Originally posted by Moneymaker View Post
          64kg seems very very light to me(dunno how tall you are) but it sure sounds like some bulking is the order of the day. Just lift a load of weights and eat tons for 6-8 weeks and see how you feel from there.
          It's the weighing scales in the gym but I think it's just off. I was usually about 73.

I looked at it again yesterday and came in at 67, but my friend was about 3/4 of stone lighter than what he normally is.

I picked a bad time to put up this thread because this week hasn't been the best for getting time in, and next week is probably fairly similar. Should be back on track after that though.

Comment

Working...
          X