Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The dinner cheese is rather noxious, so much so that I've been banished outside to eat it with a bottle of St Emillion. Tastes great though.

Cheesewatch updates to follow tomorrow when I plan to sneakily bring kids to the Maison du Camembert.
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

For those who may have acquired some additional interest in golf in light of today's events, the IPB Golf Classic is on Friday August 9th, zero previous experience required:

Comment

Hey Dom, you hungry?

Have just parboiled the baby spuds, just chopping the chorizo now, be ready in about 30 mins if you want to hold on.
        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
          A lightweight
          To be far to laz, if I had 5 cans of Guinness over a few hours, there's no way I could pass off the resultant fumes as only one tin.
          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
            To be far to laz, if I had 5 cans of Guinness over a few hours, there's no way I could pass off the resultant fumes as only one tin.
            Guinness has earned the right to be exempt from the 'Tin' collective.

Btw Emmet on fire this evening.

Comment

Comment

From a few years ago

Comment

Originally posted by ghostface View Post
                  Was out walking the baby earlier and a woman pulls up with 2 kids in the car looking for directions to Roadstone club which is only down the road from me. Give her the very straight forward directions and she tells me no thays not right!! Explained to her 3 times, literally a 2 mins car journey and she kept arguing saying that was wrong. She then showed me the address on the phone, told her yep thats the place and her kid started chiming in to say it was wrong place too!! Ended up just kind of walking off and her heading off to try the directions while looking quite sceptical. Bloody weird... why wasnt she using her feckin maps since she showed the address to me on the phone.
                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

That's amazing, I usually have about 6-8 types of cheese in the fridge and put three pieces in with my salad for lunch everyday. Totally understand the concept of lunchtime cheese but am having a difficult time figuring out which ones are in and which ones aren't. This is going to take some experimentation to figure out. Only decision so far is that Manchego off the lunchtime roster and comte is definitely in.

Comment

Stephen Fry does voice overs for a YouTube channel called Pindex, for those who haven't seen it, it's quite good, Brexit, Trump, UK vs US among other things:
                      Will Boris and Trump privatise the NHS? How much would medicare for all cost in the US? Which healthcare system is most likely to save you? Killer facts are ...

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                        That's amazing, I usually have about 6-8 types of cheese in the fridge and put three pieces in with my salad for lunch everyday. Totally understand the concept of lunchtime cheese but am having a difficult time figuring out which ones are in and which ones aren't. This is going to take some experimentation to figure out. Only decision so far is that Manchego off the lunchtime roster and comte is definitely in.
                        You can come with me on holidays next year. Not one of my family wants to come to the Maison du Camembert today\ever.

Fairly vocal about it too.
                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                          You can come with me on holidays next year. Not one of my family wants to come to the Maison du Camembert today\ever.

That's surprising, it sounds like such a great family activity.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                            Once you're eating the Manchego with quince paste, it's edible at any time of day and night.

Comment

Some fecked up cheesy version of sideways that would be. Who would play who ?

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                When I was flying back from Vegas a few weeks ago..

1/ I checked in online with BA and got my confirmed seat for Vegas > London, and then London > Vegas. The latter being seat 11F

2/ When I got to the airport they wouldn't give me my boarding card for London > Dublin and told me I'd get it at the gate. I quizzed hard on this, it's unusual, etc... Anyway, despite my relentless questioning I took it at face value that I'd get my boarding card at the gate, like the actual gate where you board the plane.

3/ I get to London and get to gate and "You are not checked onto this flight". I tell them seat 11F etc, tell them my vegas story. Nope. Nada. Go to the Aer Lingus desk and they will get you on the next available flight.

Seems rancid to me. Thoughts?
                                Overbooked second flight... I’d complain. I’ve alwasy received the second BP before I left so long as there is interlining agreeemnt or the same carrier.

Comment

Ewan mckenna really reaching here, he should stick to shitting on rugby and Dublin GAA , quality there
                                  He left out the context of the quote which was Lowry talking about the reaction to McIlroy playing a round with trump

"I don’t know what I can say about that because no matter what I say on this subject it’s going to be the wrong thing."

"If I was asked to play golf with Trump I don’t know what I’d do. I’m not going to say ‘no’, I’m not going to say ‘yeah’.

Comment

I'm told that getting your transfer boarding pass at the initial check in helps prevent them bumping you off flights like that I usually ask for it anyway. Sounds like you were switching airlines from BA to AL were you on the one booking PRN?

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post

Ewan mckenna really reaching here, he should stick to shitting on rugby and Dublin GAA , quality there
                                      He left out the context of the quote which was Lowry talking about the reaction to McIlroy playing a round with trump

"I don’t know what I can say about that because no matter what I say on this subject it’s going to be the wrong thing."

"If I was asked to play golf with Trump I don’t know what I’d do. I’m not going to say ‘no’, I’m not going to say ‘yeah’.
                                      Correctly being lambasted for that tweet.

Lowry answered the question perfectly fine imo, no interest in engaging so simply give a benign answer and move on. McKenna with a massive reach that falls well short, "acceptance of fascism" based on that response, ridiculous stuff really.

I read through a number of his responses and to be honest, he's continued to respond in a pretty childish manner.

Unsurprisingly he deleted this response:

Last edited by Guest; 22-07-19, 16:06.

Comment

Who is that guy? Seems to be not worth paying any attention to.

Comment

Never heard of him either.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                            Who is that guy? Seems to be not worth paying any attention to.
                                            Previously Sports Journalist of the year(doubt that's prestigious tbf), writes regularly for the Indo, published a couple of books too, he has an audience tbf.

I see Emmet Kennedy has begun to respond now, apparently it was the positive nature of his response that is the issue and he'd have no issue if Lowry had simply said "I dont know what I'd do".

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                              Previously Sports Journalist of the year(doubt that's prestigious tbf), writes regularly for the Indo, published a couple of books too, he has an audience tbf.

I see Emmet Kennedy has begun to respond now, apparently it was the positive nature of his response that is the issue and he'd have no issue if Lowry had simply said "I dont know what I'd do".
                                              Oh wow, that's crazy. I assumed he was some nobody.

Comment

McKenna just has a bee in his bonnet after a tweet of his from 3 years ago saying Lowry would never win a major resurfaced after the weekend.

Hes just a moron and isnt worth the bother of taking seriously

Comment

Liked this article on McKenna on the serf like conditions endured by the bottom rungs in the Racing industry, you always get the impression some of the owners wouldn’t mind taking a whip to their underlings

Like his rugby trolling too.

He lives in Brazil, he’s going a bit Gemma o Doherty in the heat

Comment

As do I. Same booking. I was switching airlines but all under the One World alliance.
                                                    Kinda reverse situation years ago at LAX . Missed my flight by seconds Are Lingua unhelpful ..ie wait till Tuesday. Never mentioned I could get on the BA flight later. I chances my arm they said fine but I'd have to book my own flight from Heathrow. Arrive in Dublin to an Aerlingus clipboard survey. WELLLL sez I.

Comment

MacKenna reads only from the Katie Hopkins playbook these days.

Ignore the creep

Comment

Also, still tickets left for Lords on Thursday. 35 degrees forecast.

Day off happening.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                          MacKenna reads only from the Katie Hopkins playbook these days.

Ignore the creep
                                                          He’s right about horseracing though.

Comment

When I was flying back from Vegas a few weeks ago..

1/ I checked in online with BA and got my confirmed seat for Vegas > London, and then London > Vegas. The latter being seat 11F

2/ When I got to the airport they wouldn't give me my boarding card for London > Dublin and told me I'd get it at the gate. I quizzed hard on this, it's unusual, etc... Anyway, despite my relentless questioning I took it at face value that I'd get my boarding card at the gate, like the actual gate where you board the plane.

3/ I get to London and get to gate and "You are not checked onto this flight". I tell them seat 11F etc, tell them my vegas story. Nope. Nada. Go to the Aer Lingus desk and they will get you on the next available flight.

The exact same thing happened to some Americans i met flying from Atlanta to Dublin via london. Ended up spending the first day of their hols hanging around Heathrow. A shitty service and clearly overbooking.
                                                            ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

I'll come along too, that way, we might be able to get a family pass as Tony could definitely pass as a father to us both

Comment

Here is McKennas tweet and the reply in all its glory

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                  Here is McKennas tweet and the reply in all its glory

McKenna obviously the biggest winner in all of this, funny though:

Comment

As do I. Same booking. I was switching airlines but all under the One World alliance.
                                                                    Aer Lingus are quickly becoming the worlds worst airline for passenger / customer service. I use them a lot and a thorough bastard posture is required each time they fuck up but they will eventually recompense you. Because they are in the wrong but very slow to admit it. On a flight of that distrance GAB, it's 600 + expenses minimum for any delay over 4 hours + don't use the helper servies since they will take at least 25%, just use the forms online from aer lingus.

Comment

I know theres a few fans of the boards AMAs here and I think this one could be good. Haven't read it yet myself though. It's with a US Police officer.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans 01/08/12, day of tripwire stunt
                                                                        Not even an MP at the time. Even the unlikeliest dreams can come true folks if you wait for around 7 years - I won't sleep tonight.

Comment

Once it was all booked under the same ticket you should lead with that, don’t mention one world as that’s really just for code sharing but not always ticketing. Get onto Conceirge desk if you can as they’re usual best for Helping, otherwise twitter.

Comment

This arrived in Baltinglass today as a gift to a pretty decent 11 year old golfer. A friend of mine is pretty close to the Lowry family and Eoghan is the son of a couple that run our local boozer. Quite a special gift.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk
                                                                            Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Comment

In all the Brexit weirdness there is sometimes a chunk of genuinely interesting stuff every now and then.
                                                                              On the back of the of course we will have Mars bars, some lad in confectionery weighed in

Chris Chilton
                                                                              @ChrisChilton64
                                                                              ·
                                                                              Jul 20
                                                                              Replying to
                                                                              @ChrisChilton64
                                                                              Thank you for all the feedback here. I’ve been asked lots of questions - mainly around cocoa - so I’m going to start answering them.
                                                                              Apologies that this will be long and detailed. (1/11)

So, Mars haven’t had cocoa beans delivered to Slough to make Mars Bars since 1996. Rather they get cocoa butter, cocoa liquor & cocoa powder (which are all made by roasting/pressing cocoa beans) delivered to their factory 24/7 instead. (2/11)

They get these ingredients delivered according to “Just in Time” principles and probably hold around 7 days supply on site. (3/11)

These ingredients are made for Mars by suppliers such as Olam, Barry Callebaut and Cargill in their cocoa processing plants in Netherlands and Germany and are delivered to Slough in temperature controlled (heated) road tankers. (4/11)

There is little possibility to source the kind of quantities of these ingredients which Mars require from UK as UK cocoa processing capacity is only around 35% of demand and virtually all is aligned to Mars competitors. (5/11)

If we get a hard Brexit, then, as soon as the queue’s start to form at the ferry ports (due to lack of EORI-numbers, customs declaration paperwork, lack of clarity around duties & tariffs etc) then the Slough factory will start to run-short of cocoa butter and cocoa liquor (6/11)

This will be compounded by the fact that the shipping tankers have limited power supply to keep the butter and liquor warm (and hence liquid) during transport.
                                                                              With significant delays, the cargo then solidifies = a big mess. (7/11)

There will also be further delays as Mars need to agree with the Suppliers who will pay for the extra tariffs (which haven’t yet been announced),the additional customs clearance costs and the mess which will be caused when the delayed tankers go solid. (8/11)

Now, back to the cocoa beans themselves..
                                                                              All Mars’ cocoa beans are grown in Côte d’Ivoire. Due to shipping lines availability, virtually all Côte d’Ivoire cocoa coming to Europe then arrives in the Port of Rotterdam. (9/11)

Over the years, Rotterdam has developed great expertise in handling the challenges of bulk cocoa delivery (fraud, smuggling, cross contamination, food safety, microbiological risk, etc) so it’s really not sensible to try to ship to a port which doesn’t have this expertise (10/11)

The beans are then transported to the cocoa processing facilities (roasting & pressing) which are largely based in Netherlands & Germany where they are converted to butter, liquor and powder and then delivered to chocolate manufacturers across Europe “just in time”. (11/11)
                                                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by paul8200 View Post
                                                                                Aer Lingus are quickly becoming the worlds worst airline for passenger / customer service. I use them a lot and a thorough bastard posture is required each time they fuck up but they will eventually recompense you. Because they are in the wrong but very slow to admit it. On a flight of that distrance GAB, it's 600 + expenses minimum for any delay over 4 hours + don't use the helper servies since they will take at least 25%, just use the forms online from aer lingus.
                                                                                Preach. I’ve been telling all who will listen this for a while. They are a disgrace.
                                                                                This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                                                  McKenna obviously the biggest winner in all of this, funny though:

Eddie Pep a genuine good dude. Would be rooting for him generally. Strong twitter game and seems like a real decent bloke.
                                                                                  This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                  All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                  The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

In all the Brexit weirdness there is sometimes a chunk of genuinely interesting stuff every now and then.
                                                                                    On the back of the of course we will have Mars bars, some lad in confectionery weighed in
                                                                                    That's brilliant.

They're gonna get some slap when they come to realise how widespread across many industries that situation will be.

Be our fault though.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                                      Eddie Pep a genuine good dude. Would be rooting for him generally. Strong twitter game and seems like a real decent bloke.
                                                                                      I assume you're not home for this golf outing, obviously come along if you are.

Comment

While I'm not saying there won't be problems, some of the below is a bit of a stretch...

Chris Chilton
                                                                                        @ChrisChilton64
                                                                                        ·
                                                                                        Jul 20
                                                                                        Replying to
                                                                                        @ChrisChilton64
                                                                                        Thank you for all the feedback here. I’ve been asked lots of questions - mainly around cocoa - so I’m going to start answering them.
                                                                                        Apologies that this will be long and detailed. (1/11)

So, Mars haven’t had cocoa beans delivered to Slough to make Mars Bars since 1996. Rather they get cocoa butter, cocoa liquor & cocoa powder (which are all made by roasting/pressing cocoa beans) delivered to their factory 24/7 instead. (2/11)

They get these ingredients delivered according to “Just in Time” principles and probably hold around 7 days supply on site. (3/11)

We've already seen a lot of UK and Irish companies start to stockpile goods on both sides of the Irish sea in preparation for Brexit. It has led to a huge demand on warehouse space as pretty much everywhere is full, which is good for people in my industry as great demand and lack of supply does one thing I would be shocked if Mars hadn't done something in this area already

These ingredients are made for Mars by suppliers such as Olam, Barry Callebaut and Cargill in their cocoa processing plants in Netherlands and Germany and are delivered to Slough in temperature controlled (heated) road tankers. (4/11)

There is little possibility to source the kind of quantities of these ingredients which Mars require from UK as UK cocoa processing capacity is only around 35% of demand and virtually all is aligned to Mars competitors. (5/11)

If we get a hard Brexit, then, as soon as the queue’s start to form at the ferry ports (due to lack of EORI-numbers, customs declaration paperwork, lack of clarity around duties & tariffs etc) then the Slough factory will start to run-short of cocoa butter and cocoa liquor (6/11)

This will be compounded by the fact that the shipping tankers have limited power supply to keep the butter and liquor warm (and hence liquid) during transport.
                                                                                        With significant delays, the cargo then solidifies = a big mess. (7/11)

All reefer tanks can be both 'pluged in' on quay in any port plus they can run off a diesel genset so I don't think that the cargo will ever solidify whilst in transit.

There will also be further delays as Mars need to agree with the Suppliers who will pay for the extra tariffs (which haven’t yet been announced),the additional customs clearance costs and the mess which will be caused when the delayed tankers go solid. (8/11)

Now, back to the cocoa beans themselves..
                                                                                        All Mars’ cocoa beans are grown in Côte d’Ivoire. Due to shipping lines availability, virtually all Côte d’Ivoire cocoa coming to Europe then arrives in the Port of Rotterdam. (9/11)

All of the vessels ex Cote d'Ivoire (and pretty much every where else in the world) can call other ports and are not just exclusively to Rotterdam. Pretty much every vessel has a European rotation which sees them call at a UK port (Southampton, Felixstowe, London Gateway, Liverpool) A Dutch / Belgian port (Rotterdam / Antwerp) a German port (Bremerhaven / Hamburg) and a French port (Marseille / Le Havre)

Over the years, Rotterdam has developed great expertise in handling the challenges of bulk cocoa delivery (fraud, smuggling, cross contamination, food safety, microbiological risk, etc) so it’s really not sensible to try to ship to a port which doesn’t have this expertise (10/11)

Rotterdam used to be the number 1 port in the world and while it has been overtaken by the Chinese and Singapore ports, it would still be Europes number 1 port but to say that somehwere like Southampton or Felixstowe couldn't put a system in place to handle these imports is redonk

The beans are then transported to the cocoa processing facilities (roasting & pressing) which are largely based in Netherlands & Germany where they are converted to butter, liquor and powder and then delivered to chocolate manufacturers across Europe “just in time”. (11/11)

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                          That's brilliant.

They're gonna get some slap when they come to realise how widespread across many industries that situation will be.

Be our fault though.
                                                                                          All of those issues are surmontable and would create jobs in solving them. This is what brexit is about, not being more efficient for Mars but having more employment in the UK regardless of the fact it was better and cheaper overall beforehand. This is why it’s so hard to argue against.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                                            somehwere like Southampton or Felixstowe couldn't put a system in place to handle these imports is redonk
                                                                                            I’m only going off the above piece, but apparently beans are processed in Germany/Netherlands. Do landing them in Southampton doesn’t really help.
                                                                                            The issue is supply of process cocoa not raw beans. UK processing is at capacity, more beans won’t increase output.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
                                                                                              All of those issues are surmontable and would create huge costs in solving them. This is what brexit is about, not being more efficient for Mars but having more employment in the UK regardless of the fact it was better and cheaper overall beforehand. This is why it’s so hard to argue against.
                                                                                              FYP

Jobs need to be created with profits, not costs.
                                                                                              Last edited by Lazare; 23-07-19, 09:13.

Comment

I parked my car in work this morning and walked around to the passenger side only to find a nice deep scratch low down on the rear passenger door.

It doesn't look like it was caused my another car, rather by a high curb or something metal scraping against it as there is no indentation.

I'm glad I didn't do it or don't remember having done it as I would be far more annoyed by that.

I don't actually mind too much about the mark from the point of view of aesthetics but I was hoping to trade it in quite soon.
                                                                                                My annoyance will depend on how much it impacts the trade in value, I'm hoping a large amount of the damage can simply be buffed out or touched up easily.

Comment

Mary Lou McDonald now holds the balance of power in Westminster.

Rhetoric aside she needs to get moving to prepare whatever she needs to do internally in SF/ IRA in order to be able to go and vote if and when required to block no deal / force an election or referendum.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
                                                                                                    All of those issues are surmontable and would create jobs in solving them. This is what brexit is about, not being more efficient for Mars but having more employment in the UK regardless of the fact it was better and cheaper overall beforehand. This is why it’s so hard to argue against.
                                                                                                    The pivot from car assembly manufacturing/pharmaceuticals/retail worker to docker of spoiled goods is pretty seamless

Comment

SF are not going to take their seats in Westminster, no matter what. I don't even think talking about it or saying 'you could really help Ireland by doing so!!!!' will put the slightest bit of pressure on them to do so, their voters don't want them there, they are not going, full stop IMHO.

I'll never give a SF candidate a preference in an election (never say never, right? ), but even so don't believe that your argument is a particularly useful rod to beat them with.

Comment

Also, no deal would probably be good from a long term standpoint of speeding up a United Ireland, so why interrupt your enemy while he's in the middle of making a mistake?

Comment

Some real grotesque looking young tories/Boris fans on the BBC there, such punchable faces

Comment

Can I use my revolut card in the US? Was going to attach it to my cruise account for charges of needed and we are going to Disney.

Comment

I've used revolut in the US before, zero problems - would always take a least one other backup card though just in case!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                                                                                                Can I use my revolut card in the US? Was going to attach it to my cruise account for charges of needed and we are going to Disney.

Was able to use it most places the last time I was there. Only had issues in a couple of clothes shops

Comment

Doesn't work on the likes of the NY metro I've found, but works most places.

Comment

Actually feel sick watching this Oaf

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                                                                      Actually feel sick watching this Oaf
                                                                                                                      Don't worry man
                                                                                                                      he gets officially appointed on Wednesday and then they all fuck off for recess on Thursday so he will not actually be seen in the Commons early September

Using the extension time well

Comment

Thanks everyone <3

Comment

A who's who of the fucktarded doing the political rounds in London at the moment awaiting cabinet positions

Next years global slowdown is getting a kick start today!

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X