Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
    why has no one mentioned that preacher is back?????
    2 episodes and all.
    This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
      2 episodes and all.
      Exactly!poor showing. I blame dp tbh

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
        Who are your heroes PSV?
        Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
        You shouldn't have heroes if you are over the age of 12
        Actually I take that back,Joe Brolly a hero of mine ,gets paid to be a complete WUM plus the kidney giveaway

Comment

Rigger got locked up obv

I thought they were using video reviews at this Soccer tournament
          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Confed Cup Semi Final, and Chile hit the woodwork twice in the last minute of extra time v Portugal but couldn't get it over the line. It's gone to pens for anyone wanting a rail.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
              Exactly!poor showing. I blame dp tbh
              Did not copy.two EPS...happy days.
              SOK and some good comic homages in the first ep
              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                Confed Cup Semi Final, and Chile hit the woodwork twice in the last minute of extra time v Portugal but couldn't get it over the line. It's gone to pens for anyone wanting a rail.
                Claudio Bravo with 3 decent saves to shut out Portugal and win 3-0 for Chile!

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                  Bollocks.
                  Sir yes SIR ?

Comment

Claudio Bravo with 3 decent saves to shut out Portugal and win 3-0 for Chile!
                    Ronaldo cant perform in these ttivial games. wtf lads take a take a holiday Christiano. climb a mountain or jump in a lake. A cousin of mine goes...

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Bullocks View Post
                      Ronaldo cant perform in these ttivial games. wtf lads take a take a holiday Christiano. climb a mountain or jump in a lake. A cousin of mine goes...
                      Another Portugal penalty shootout where Ronaldo doesn't take a penalty because he wants to sit back and be the hero and win it at the end. He should be up there taking the first one.

Comment

Another Portugal penalty shootout where Ronaldo doesn't take a penalty because he wants to sit back and be the hero and win it at the end. He should be up there taking the first one.
                        should be on his joe holliers

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                          Very interesting list of what MIT Review consider the 50 Smartest companies currently operating
                          https://www.technologyreview.com/lists/companies/2017/
                          Intel at 13? They've been listless for years.

On a related note, Silicon Valley is both enjoyable and terribly repetitive. They really should give it up.

Comment

Isn't this criticism a close cousin of 'hey look at Ronaldo taking the first penalty yet again, he should be taking one of the later ones when the pressure is ratcheted up'?

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                              Isn't this criticism a close cousin of 'hey look at Ronaldo taking the first penalty yet again, he should be taking one of the later ones when the pressure is ratcheted up'?
                              Put your best penalty takers out first and get some goals on the board and put pressure on the other team. Think it way outweighs the advantage of keeping your best penalty takers until the end imo.

Comment

Put your best penalty takers out first and get some goals on the board and put pressure on the other team. Think it way outweighs the advantage of keeping your best penalty takers until the end imo.
                                Think I've read a a scientific paper that agrees with AJ in that they should go last. Can't remember where now, might look for it tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                  Think I've read a a scientific paper that agrees with AJ in that they should go last. Can't remember where now, might look for it tomorrow.
                                  Think something like that was posted her before because i'm sure i read it before, but for top clubs/countries where at least half of the team should be capable of slotting a ball home from 12 yards and handling some pressure, the benefits of getting the ball in the back of the net early is immense. It lifts your team, it puts pressure on the opposition and wins you the game. Going first they always get a penalty. Going last, that won't always happen as in the case of Portugal's shootouts of late.

Ronaldo taking a penalty at any stage >>>>> Ronaldo not taking a penalty

Comment

Your best penalty taker should be 1st and your second best should be 4th imo.

Comment

Think something like that was posted her before because i'm sure i read it before, but for top clubs/countries where at least half of the team should be capable of slotting a ball home from 12 yards and handling some pressure, the benefits of getting the ball in the back of the net early is immense. It lifts your team, it puts pressure on the opposition and wins you the game. Going first they always get a penalty. Going last, that won't always happen as in the case of Portugal's shootouts of late.

Ronaldo taking a penalty at any stage >>>>> Ronaldo not taking a penalty
                                      this,

Comment

26 day weekend, Australia and Bali bound, couldn't be happier.

Comment

Science schience on the penalties front.

Flushdraw is spot on on this one.

Best peno taker first - goals win games.

Comment

Didn't think Brexit would have any effect on ne whatsoever. In the past week ive found out that the satellite office I report to is now closing (manchester) and also today the update is that our Irish employees (excluding our sole NI colleague) are now going to be employed by a new European company reporting out of Frankfurt via Amsterdam. So my monthly trips to London have become Euro trips.

No big deal really, i work remotely anyway so reporting to a manager in Amsterdam not really that different than UK i guess but interesting how your life can be affected indirectly by the decisions others make.

Comment

Originally posted by Jibzzzz View Post
                                              Last day on Nusa lembongan, diving Manta point before we go to soften the blow. Been 2 weeks full of life highlights, yoga retreat in Ubud, dinner in kubu, and the scuba diving being the top 3.
                                              Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                              https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Updated: Thursday, 8:45am (fancy chart added) In light of another bout of Ronaldo playing to the cameras with a face full of restrained aggro at not getting the chance to take Portugal’s fift…

I recall that too, defo shouldn't be last. I'm thinking second is close to optimal.
                                                X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Scientific study vs mish mash of biases, misunderstanding and small sample size. ,

Comment

Jordet, G., Hartman, E., Visscher, C. and Lemmink, K. A. P. M. (2006) Kicks from the penalty mark in soccer: The roles of stress, skill, and fatigue for kick outcomes. Journal of Sports Sciences, 1-9, Preview article.

This paper is an essential starting place for an analysis for the impact of penalty shoot-outs in competitive international football as it reports some empirical findings on events in penalty shoot-outs in the World Cup (WC), European Championships (EC) and the Copa America (CA). The results are fascinating; here is a glimpse. The percentage success rate in the World Cup is 71.2% compared to 82.7% (CA) and 84.6% (EC), possibly reflecting the greater importance and consequent pressure of the world stage. The success rate of each penalty kick changes throughout the competition:

First kick 86.6%
                                                    Second kick 81.7%
                                                    Third kick 79.3%
                                                    Fourth kick 72.5%
                                                    Fifth kick 80%
                                                    ‘Sudden death’ kicks 64.3%
                                                    These results highlight the increasing pressure as the competition progresses and may also highlight the ‘best player should go first’ fallacy. The idea of ‘getting off to a good start’ by putting the best penalty taker first appears wrong as there is least pressure on this kick.

The researchers looked at the percentage success rate of players of different positions. Attackers successfully convert 83.1% of their penalties, midfield players convert 79.6% and defenders convert 73.6%.

The length of time the players have been on the pitch is also important. If they have played 30 minutes of less, their success rate is 86.7%, although, of course, this might include the occasional substitution to put a good penalty taker on the pitch. Players who have played between 31 and 90 minutes successfully convert 81.9% of penalties, and players who play longer than 91 minutes, convert 80% of their chances.

Age also seems important with younger players doing better. Players aged 22 or younger successfully convert 85.2% of attempts. Those aged between 23 and 28 convert 77.6%, and those aged over 29 years convert 78.1%.

The researchers conclude their paper by stating that their results demonstrate that the results of the penalty shoot-outs are not a lottery. Their results demonstrate that there are marked and logical patterns that repeat themselves time and again. The authors adopt a psychological stance on their results and they suggest that stress and anxiety may be important explanatory factors.

Comment

McGarry, T. and Franks, I. M. (2000) On winning the penalty shoot-out in soccer. Journal of Sports Sciences, 18, 401-409.

This paper employs computer simulation, probability theory and mathematical modelling to explore the effectiveness of different penalty shoot-out strategies. Their analyses suggests that there is an advantage in placing the team’s fifth best penalty taker on the first kick, the fourth best on the second kick, the third best on the third, the second best on the fourth, and the team’s best penalty taker on the fifth kick. If the competition goes to sudden death, the sixth best penalty taker should take the sixth kick and so on. The researchers also state that the ability of the team’s goalkeepers to save penalties should also be known and, if possible, substitutions should be made to place the best penalty stopper goalkeeper on the pitch at the end of the game. The researchers also recommend the use of substitutions to put better penalty takers on pitch if possible.

Comment

Jordet, G., Hartman, E., Visscher, C. and Lemmink, K. A. P. M.
                                                        Those fuckers never took a peno in their lives. I'm with Flushdraw on this, best goes first, always.

Comment

im with science on this one.

You can recover from an early miss you cant from a last one. Hope this helps ye.

Comment

As the regular penalty taker for my senior team I always took the 'swing' (3rd) penalty in shootouts. Theory being our strikers would go 1 & 2 as they're used to being 1 on 1 with a keeper and then I'd smack home the 3rd as I was most used to taking penalties. 4th taker would be whoever felt comfortable on the day and 5th taker was the guy who took penalties if I wasn't playing. It was a formula, but it always came down to how the game played out.

Science makes sense but what it comes down to is how people are feeling on the day. Stress isn't constant and I'd rather have somebody who had a great game but normally doesn't take penalties than somebody who does but who has had a bad game/picked up a knock/had other things going on. I'm always surprised when I see professional teams go to a penalty kick with their 'designated taker' even when they have had a rubbish game.

Last season (against Burnley I think) United were really struggling and Zlatan had an absolute nightmare in front of goal. Awarded a penalty late on and when he was walking up to it I just knew he was going to miss, mentally he just wasn't in the right place for it (confirmation bias on my part I know) but I've seen it far too often to not believe there'sa co-orelation
                                                            Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Originally posted by NoRiverRequired View Post
                                                              Didn't think Brexit would have any effect on ne whatsoever. In the past week ive found out that the satellite office I report to is now closing (manchester) and also today the update is that our Irish employees (excluding our sole NI colleague) are now going to be employed by a new European company reporting out of Frankfurt via Amsterdam. So my monthly trips to London have become Euro trips.

No big deal really, i work remotely anyway so reporting to a manager in Amsterdam not really that different than UK i guess but interesting how your life can be affected indirectly by the decisions others make.
                                                              I was in a very tall office in Canary Wharf last week that is being rapidly emptied out - ghost town. Palpable fear among those left.
                                                              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Ronaldo has scored 82% of penalties taken (101/123)

So if he is one of the first 3 penalty takers, then 100% of the time he scores 82% of the time.
                                                                If he takes the 5th penalty (which in 20% of shootouts, it doesn't get that far), then 80% of the time he scores 82% of the time.

Don't mind your college guys doing scientific study, simple maths says he has to take one of the first 3 pens.

When you break it down though, he's not even that clinical when it comes to pens for Portugal. He only has a 64% success rate (9/14) and a 75% success rate on shootouts as a whole (6/8). He does love the glory for sure, our Ronaldo

Comment

McGarry, T. and Franks, I. M. (2000) On winning the penalty shoot-out in soccer. Journal of Sports Sciences, 18, 401-409.

This paper employs computer simulation, probability theory and mathematical modelling to explore the effectiveness of different penalty shoot-out strategies. Their analyses suggests that there is an advantage in placing the team’s fifth best penalty taker on the first kick, the fourth best on the second kick, the third best on the third, the second best on the fourth, and the team’s best penalty taker on the fifth kick. If the competition goes to sudden death, the sixth best penalty taker should take the sixth kick and so on. The researchers also state that the ability of the team’s goalkeepers to save penalties should also be known and, if possible, substitutions should be made to place the best penalty stopper goalkeeper on the pitch at the end of the game. The researchers also recommend the use of substitutions to put better penalty takers on pitch if possible.
                                                                  Thank god for science.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                    Thank god for science.
                                                                    The only time i ever recall a goalkeeping substitution for a penalty shootout was when LVG subbed on Krul in the 120th minute in the World Cup QF v Costa Rica. Worked out well for him but it must be heartbreaking for a goalkeeper to be taken off at that stage.

Comment

The latest Twin peaks, 3.8, finally starts to make sense of it all..

SPOILER
                                                                      I really don't know what i was watching for 58mins, either genius or self indulgent shite. Hard to see that imagery and put it together with that sweet old deaf FBI chief.
                                                                      This too shall pass.

Comment

There's about a hundred holes you could pick in that study Zuutroy, but probably the biggest being most teams actually tend to send their best takers up for the early kicks so the pen success curve would always peak that way in any case. It's interpreting hugely biased data and trying to make an unbiased assessment.
                                                                        Profit before people.

Comment

I thought it was fairly well established that the first and fourth pelanty kicks are the most important. If you miss either of those you're highly likely to lose the shootout. So these are where your best takers should be placed.
                                                                          "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

The only time i ever recall a goalkeeping substitution for a penalty shootout was when LVG subbed on Krul in the 120th minute in the World Cup QF v Costa Rica. Worked out well for him but it must be heartbreaking for a goalkeeper to be taken off at that stage.
                                                                            Sligo rovers did it in 2011 cup final

Last couple of mins in extra time, sent on the keeper who had saved 4 in the 2010 cup final shootout

saved 2 more and rovers won the cup

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                                              There's about a hundred holes you could pick in that study Zuutroy, but probably the biggest being most teams actually tend to send their best takers up for the early kicks so the pen success curve would always peak that way in any case. It's interpreting hugely biased data and trying to make an unbiased assessment.
                                                                              Yeah this is a classic example of sampling on the dependant variable.
                                                                              "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Interview with Kevin Kimmage, well worth a listen. If you miss it , it will be on podcast after the show. He was a great pal of Roche so interesting to see if he mentions the juice Roche obviously had in 87. off the ball 2nite
                                                                                Last edited by Solksjaer!; 29-06-17, 10:56.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGZfWud5__Y
                                                                                  If he thinks the best use of a substitute is to change goalkeepers in the 119th minute, he's bonkers.

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                                                                                    If he thinks the best use of a substitute is to change goalkeepers in the 119th minute, he's bonkers.
                                                                                    Agreed, though the new additional 4th substitution in extra time would make it a more acceptable plan.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                      I was in a very tall office in Canary Wharf last week that is being rapidly emptied out - ghost town. Palpable fear among those left.
                                                                                      I don't know how it can come about but I get a growing sense that it won't actually happen.
                                                                                      There is no basis for a deal that can get passed through this parliament.

No matter how you try to play that scenario out it looks bleak in the medium term.
                                                                                      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                                                                                        I'm not so sure, with the analysis done these there might have been a chance the team didn't prepare for Krul, every penalty taker will have been giving stats on the starting keeper and what he generally does, players might have had plans in place for where they were going to shoot. Changing the keeper would create some doubt in some minds. It shouldnt as they should have prepared for everything ( Ala Ze germans). If Krul is also bigger and more explosive then the chances of getting to a ball is higher again

Comment

I don't know how it can come about but I get a growing sense that it won't actually happen.

No matter how you try to play that scenario out it looks bleak in the medium term.
                                                                                          So if all the companies move out anyway and then they decide brexit wont happen how fucked are they?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                                                            Yeah this is a classic example of sampling on the dependant variable.
                                                                                            1.01 that you didn't read the paper and are forming your opinion on the abstract alone. Literally (in the figurative sense of the world) judging a book by the cover!

Comment

What do you rugby heads think of Gatlands team selection??

Considering AWJ has been awful this tour whilst Lawes has been good & Warburton is not fully fit & out of form it should be surprising, but we're talking about Gatland here who seems to be selecting his pals on previous performances rather than form then no its not really a surprise. POM not in the squad. Teo droped after a good game against SBW.

Comment

Defo opening next academic year with this one.

Comment

No chance imo - the next Tory leader is clearly waiting for a big vote to stand up and distance themselves from May and fuck her over by voting it down collapsing the govt. If not than someone really should be.

Tory old guard may get a little pissy but once the city is appeased and Sterling strengthens they will pipe down.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooch View Post

Considering AWJ has been awful this tour whilst Lawes has been good & Warburton is not fully fit & out of form it should be surprising, but we're talking about Gatland here who seems to be selecting his pals on previous performances rather than form then no its not really a surprise. POM not in the squad. Teo droped after a good game against SBW.
                                                                                                    I don't think you can change both starting locks, lineout combinations will be effected badly. Warburton will disrupts rucks a lot more than POM, POM doesnt offer as much off bench when losing, stander can come on and make a bigger difference carrying the ball.

I dont think Teo had a good game,yes defensively he stopped sonny bill a few times, but stopping sbw is not the key to beating the AB's, Teo didnt pass the ball and blew a couple of 3v2's. When the spaces are out wide, we need to be able to exploit them especially with Naholo defending.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooch View Post

POM was out muscled and didn't manage to slow the ball down wont win with him on the pitch imo so need to try something.

Dropping Teo adds a little bit of an unknown to the Lions games, he played well in deference but in attack is a little bit to ABC.

Had to make changes to get a win, playing safe and picking the same guys would just lead to us getting pasted at the weekend imo. The scoreboard could and tbh should have been a lot worse last weekend.

AWJ dosnt really deserve his shirt imo so would agree there, lawes with henderson as an impact would be a better selection in my opinion.

Comment

Don't really get the Gatland hate, sure he is not full of the joys of life but he is a good operator and has handled the tour well apart from the six additions. He is certainly not picking his pals or he wouldn't have dropped the tour captain or knocked halfpenny out of the 23. He has consistently shown courage in team selection going back to his justified BOD call in 13.

Comment

I would agree with how he has handled it, done well for the most part. I think its impossible to beat the all blacks playing 1-3-3-1 though as this shape is very vulnerable to turnover attack and that's what they are the best in the world at. It's impossible to have complex attack structures and shapes in place in such a short space of time so this one is very easy to play and execute.

Comment

1.01 that you didn't read the paper and are forming your opinion on the abstract alone. Literally (in the figurative sense of the world) judging a book by the cover!
                                                                                                            Well from you reading it tell me how his point re putting the best penalty taker last is legitimate?

If every team were to do that and you were to take a sample in ten years the data would look completely different and a new analysis may conclude you should put the best player first as the pen success rate was higher at pen 4/5.
                                                                                                            Profit before people.

Comment

DUBLIN Circuit Criminal Court erupted in cheers and applause this afternoon as Paul Murphy TD and five other men were found not guilty on all charges of falsely imprisoning former Tanaiste Joan Burton and her advisor Karen O’Connell.

What an unseemly charade from sending 8 Gardai to arrest Paul Murphy at dawn to pushing for the most serious charges available. Thankfully the efforts to quell political dissent and discourage peaceful protest have failed. That the Gardai statements were contradicted by their own video footage will unfortunately not be followed up on of course.

That Joan Burton and the Labour Party were consigned to political irrelevancy in the interim is a cherry on top of the whole thing.
                                                                                                              "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                                                                The latest Twin peaks, 3.8, finally starts to make sense of it all..

SPOILER
                                                                                                                I really don't know what i was watching for 58mins, either genius or self indulgent shite. Hard to see that imagery and put it together with that sweet old deaf FBI chief.
                                                                                                                SPOILER
                                                                                                                Got a light
                                                                                                                His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Originally posted by Jibzzzz View Post
                                                                                                                  First leg to Dubai, all 4 of us travelling bumped to business class.

Let the run good continue.

Cheers Emirates

Comment

Speaking of taking penalties, read this the other day from Anderson:

Comment

Well from you reading it tell me how his point re putting the best penalty taker last is legitimate?
                                                                                                                      The mathematical modelling paper shows that the early penalties are less important in determining the outcome in that [P(lose shootout if miss)-P(win shootout if miss)] is much lower when the score is 1-0 going second than when it's 4-3. When they run the simulation with the relative stress of each penalty and the P(score) of each player taken into account, the optimal order is 5,4,3,2,1 in order of skill.

The other paper does multi-variate analysis where they try to strip out player skill and find the same thing from real shootout data.

I guess in times of high pressure you want the most skilful player there because they're most likely to be closer to their optimal arousal level for the situation than a player with less technical ability. Look at the huge dropoff between the success rates for penalties 4/5 and sudden death. There's no way that your 5th choice penalty taker is that far ahead of your 6th choice, so it has be down to pressure.

Comment

So which peno carries the more pressure? The answer to that is where you put your best peno taker. Id say the tension builds so at the back end. Who remembers the 1st peno taker ? whereas who can forget John Terry :-)

Comment

Shilling money off link for oneplus phones and accessories added to my sig.
                                                                                                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X