Irish Poker Boards
Irish Open 2020
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Community & Games

Old 14-11-19, 21:10   #661
dobby

Dont like base layers myself. I usually wear some kind of soccer/gaa jersey, a hoodie/jumper and a light windbrealer over that so it keeps everything compact. My favourite piece of kit in the cold or rain is my woolly hat.

Doing a quick 2 minute warm up before hand I find helps too. Just some jogging on the spot, stretch quads, calves and hamstrings, all while moving. 90 seconds to 2 minutes is plenty. Gets the blood flowing and should stay warm on the run then.

Fair fucks, 10k is a fair whack. Haven't gone over 6k myself.
dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Old 14-11-19, 21:10   #662
dobby

Dont like base layers myself. I usually wear some kind of soccer/gaa jersey, a hoodie/jumper and a light windbrealer over that so it keeps everything compact. My favourite piece of kit in the cold or rain is my woolly hat.

Doing a quick 2 minute warm up before hand I find helps too. Just some jogging on the spot, stretch quads, calves and hamstrings, all while moving. 90 seconds to 2 minutes is plenty. Gets the blood flowing and should stay warm on the run then.

Fair fucks, 10k is a fair whack. Haven't gone over 6k myself.
dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-19, 21:16   #663
The Aul Switcharoo

Don't bother with more than a t-shirt and light jacket maybe for rain. I mean you surely warm up when HR gets up. More motivation not to stop
Old 14-11-19, 21:20   #664
Keane
Martingale Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Keane
Hmm. I've been using a base layer top (cheap yoke - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and a jersey or similar over it on top.

I'm fairly ok but around the mid-section gets uncomfortably cold when the temperature is down around 4C. I haven't try wearing a hoodie or a jacket on top again, I was just thinking I could do with a better quality underlayer but I might try one of my cycling rain jackets the next time and see if the extra outer layer does the trick.
Keane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-19, 22:03   #665
ionapaul

Same as you, I'd typically wear a base layer like that and then a running top over it if it's really cold. Wouldn't ever wear a wind breaker or any kind of jacket, would get far too sweaty and hot later in a run wearing those. Also will wear running leggings under a pair of running shorts when cold, looks a bit stupid but no apologies!
ionapaul is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
Old 14-11-19, 23:16   #666
Solksjaer!

Wind breakers is what froze ya. Don't condensate in the cold. I wore a hoodie tonight and tracksuit bottoms . Dressed like an Anto . Was warm though . Crispy evening . 10k nice one . Mentally hard with a Injury doubt . WP
Solksjaer! is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 15-11-19, 10:56   #667
Strewelpeter

I used to be against windbreakers even for cycling because of the sweating up problem but I now have a very light asics one that is reasonably waterproof and very well against cold and rain and never gets sweaty. It helps if you get one a size or two bigger than you need it to be. Its not one of the really expensive ones either, picked it up in their Kildare Village shop for about 40 and tend to use it all the time now.
Old 15-11-19, 21:40   #668
Lazare
GFML

Decathlon are great for base layer tops if you're ever near one. My parents bring me stuff home from Spain all the time.

My winter getup is skin tight base layer with the thumb holes, warm top, again with thumb holes, gloves, snood and wooly hat. Always wear shorts though, no matter how cold. Legs never feel it.

Ran this morning at 6am, moonlit icy roads. Heaven.
Old 15-11-19, 22:47   #669
Strewelpeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazare View Post
Decathlon are great for base layer tops if you're ever near one. My parents bring me stuff home from Spain all the time.
We'll all be near one from next March when they finally open their long promised Irish store in Ballymun.
Old 15-11-19, 22:58   #670
Lazare
GFML

Yep. Am really looking forward to that. Fantastic store.
Old 16-11-19, 00:26   #671
Lazare
GFML

A tip if you're in there looking for winter gear for running, go to the mountaineering section. Got a really excellent snood thing there, wear it everytime I run in cold weather. Lovely warm wooly neck bit and a skin tight fabric bit that you can pull up as far as a ski mask. Think it was Ä7 or something.
Old 16-11-19, 15:23   #672
The Aul Switcharoo

Jesus lads. I think a few of ye need to order bottles of harden the fuck up
Old 16-11-19, 15:48   #673
Keane
Martingale Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Keane
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Aul Switcharoo View Post
I always say the only reason I cycle is so I can buy the gear
Keane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-19, 15:49   #674
Lazare
GFML

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Aul Switcharoo View Post
Come back to me when you've ran 10 miles in a blizzard in shorts
Old 16-11-19, 16:02   #675
Solksjaer!

In the 80s we had to run bare footed over jagged rocks being chased by horny priests and if we were lucky we got home with just some broken toes if we were unlucky we couldn't walk home until the feeling got back into our torn arses.. Try to tell that to the kids these days and they wont believe you
Thanks From:
Old 16-11-19, 17:25   #676
FeetMagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazare View Post
Come back to me when you've ran 10 miles in a blizzard in shorts
My first ultra race was in Feb in Vancouver, fully snowing. I've never worn anything bar shorts & long tee running and this was a slippy trail. Fun but took a few hours to feel my body again
FeetMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
Old 16-11-19, 18:47   #677
Solksjaer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeetMagic View Post
My first ultra race was in Feb in Vancouver, fully snowing. I've never worn anything bar shorts & long tee running and this was a slippy trail. Fun but took a few hours to feel my body again
ULTRA running ? GFYFM.
Thanks From:
Old 26-11-19, 21:14   #678
Goodluck2me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solksjaer! View Post
One thing I do find difficult in this cold is the breathing. I hate the cold air in the lungs, itís tres annoying and mentally irritates
Must say I find the opposite, when itís warm Iím all dried out and panting, whereas the cold just gets chapped lips but the lungs love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keane View Post
I did my 10k tonight anyway, the knee felt fine until about 1500m to go. I think it seems to flare up and ease off with increasing and decreasing speed - so another underlining of the need to go nice and slow.

Knocked a few minutes off my previous (only) time so happy enough.

I'm was fucking perished though, upper body particularly. Can anyone recommend a base layer they are happy enough with in these kind of conditions, or general advice about dressing for the elements this time of year? I'd like to feel less dependent on the weather if there's gear options that might be of help.
Iíd always go skin tight Nike base layer short sleeve one, with a long sleeve light soccer style training jersey I have. Or else hoody and T-shirt, too many layers and Iím roasting after a couple km. I canít wear a hat more than 3km either.

Feel like Iím plateauing around 23mins at the moment, did 23.03 and 23.09 yesterday and today so Iím going to burst out tomorrow and see what happens...! I still canít believe I did a 21.12 only 10months ago.
Goodluck2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 27-11-19, 09:44   #679
Goodluck2me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodluck2me View Post
Must say I find the opposite, when itís warm Iím all dried out and panting, whereas the cold just gets chapped lips but the lungs love it!

Iíd always go skin tight Nike base layer short sleeve one, with a long sleeve light soccer style training jersey I have. Or else hoody and T-shirt, too many layers and Iím roasting after a couple km. I canít wear a hat more than 3km either.

Feel like Iím plateauing around 23mins at the moment, did 23.03 and 23.09 yesterday and today so Iím going to burst out tomorrow and see what happens...! I still canít believe I did a 21.12 only 10months ago.
22.05... think I just need to do more max work, seems Iíve been coasting.
Goodluck2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 27-11-19, 22:24   #680
Solksjaer!

100km this month . I bet ye do that in a week. I was running like Dr Evil tonight
Thanks From:

Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Community & Games