Aces early in waterford masters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aces early in waterford masters

I know this was a few weeks back but i have discussed this with a lot of people
    and have got a lot of different reactions.
    I picked up AsAh utg+1 when blinds were 50/100.Made it 350 only caller was outta
    sb flop Qs Js 2h i bet 650 he calls. Turn is 6s he checks i check behind? river is a blank,
    he bets 650 and i call, he shows Ks3s for turned flush.
    Its my check on the turn that is the discussion point,i felt that a flush or a JQ type hand was well within his range and by betting turn i was getting raised, and if i was raised would i then feel i have to call the raise with the nut flush draw?
    Others have said that they couldnt check behind with aces and the nut flush draw.
    Just to point out that at a later stage of tournie i would probably take a different line.
    Thoughts please specifically on turn check and the idea of keeping pots small early on.

Nh, wp, ul.
    "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Fairly obvious check/raise spot for him so check behind is fine imo. I don't think you are losing value from AQ KQ type hands if that's what your friends are trying to say. He could have QJ and not be too thrilled with the 3rd spade himself. So you're either slightly ahead or way behind with a small chance of hitting you're spade on the river. If he check raises you and a spade hits the river I don't think you are getting paid with a large bet so the implied odds are not there either.

Edit: maybe your friends thought you should turn your hand into a bluff with the lone ranger ;-)
      Last edited by gorrrr72; 14-08-10, 12:07.

Comment

Played perfectly...as you said its early stage it's a must check behind and like Gorrr says you do not loose value from hands like top pair or 2nd pair...if they check the river there nearly 100% calling your value bet on the river so you have dodge a tricky situation by checking the turn...total donk bet if you do bet this turn even with As!!

But there is a case you could get vaule 3 streets by this opponent as if he is playing K3s from the small blind to a raise utg then he is a donk and would easily call you down with top pair...

I think your line is right doh as early stages you have to be slightly more cautious not to loose half your stack on these type hands!
        Huh, Math my dear boy is nothing more than the lesbian sister of biology.

My Poker Blog http://jason-tompkins.blogspot.com
        My twitter http://twitter.com/#!/blaaaaaah666

Comment

played perfect imo

Comment

Stack sizes?

I dont hate checking turn, but i think I prefer betting against an unknown ip. If you have a read he is very likely to raise turn checking is best, but i think you sometimes lose value by checking here especially if river is a scarecard

Comment

Hand is fine imo. Turn check seems mandatory given its early on, we have plenty of chips to play with and being check/raised would really, really suck.

Comment

Originally posted by handofgod View Post
                Stack sizes?

I dont hate checking turn, but i think I prefer betting against an unknown ip. If you have a read he is very likely to raise turn checking is best, but i think you sometimes lose value by checking here especially if river is a scarecard
                Im playing about 13k(having had ks cracked twice) hes playing about 18k.

Have to say i didnt really have a specific read that i was gonna get raised,it was
                just the texture of the board made me feel if i bet and get raised im behind and
                may end up doing alot of chips with the nut flush draw.
                Way ive played it ive lost 1300 when i could maybe have done 5k,but ive
                also denied myself the chance of winning 5k?

Comment

I think id like to bet the turn here, i think checking is fine but if its an unknown theres value inbetting as you get check called here with all Qx combo's and few Jx's, dont think we can presume he dinked the flush, this is if you perceive him of standard auld lad that shows up at most of these things

Comment

Originally posted by Creasy View Post
                    I think id like to bet the turn here, i think checking is fine but if its an unknown theres value inbetting as you get check called here with all Qx combo's and few Jx's, dont think we can presume he dinked the flush, this is if you perceive him of standard auld lad that shows up at most of these things
                    What's your plan if check raised?

Comment

Originally posted by Nero Ceasar View Post
                      Im playing about 13k(having had ks cracked twice) hes playing about 18k.

Have to say i didnt really have a specific read that i was gonna get raised,it was
                      just the texture of the board made me feel if i bet and get raised im behind and
                      may end up doing alot of chips with the nut flush draw.
                      Way ive played it ive lost 1300 when i could maybe have done 5k,but ive
                      also denied myself the chance of winning 5k?
                      I think the check behind here is the right move but if you do decide to bet and get raised do we really have to continue just because we have the nut flush draw? There's only one card to come and if we do get raised we can be fairly sure our 1pr hand miles behind so why risk a large % of your stack on a bare flush draw (which is what you're doing if you call.)

Like I said I think the check behind is the correct move but if you do bet and get raised then I think folding is reasonable.
                      Pining for Wa'erford

Comment

This thread would have been much more interesting if OP hadn't posted results imo.

Sure being checkraised on turn sucks, but villain calls a turn bet with worse and us having As reduces his flush combos. Also lots of river cards will either beat us or scare villain so we often miss at least one bet. It's close between checking and betting imo
                        Last edited by handofgod; 19-08-10, 13:16.

Comment

Working...
                        X