Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    Just innately feel apprehensive at the anti-DOB focus of the media and whether they would blow stuff out of proportion. It could very well be highly dodgy but no-one has actually explained why yet.
    It would be a tough blow for DOB to take flack for something he didn't do when he's become so used to facing no consequences for the things he did over the years.

Comment

Just innately feel apprehensive at the anti-DOB focus of the media and whether they would blow stuff out of proportion. It could very well be highly dodgy but no-one has actually explained why yet.
      Entirely fits though, no? It's not like it's an unfair bias

Comment

Sad day for CHD and co with Chelsea's longest serving player leaving the club this summer...

SPOILER
        a 25 year old Croatian keeper who never started a game. Was at Chelsea for 9 years.

http://www.sportbible.com/football/n...-club-20180403

Comment

Anyone cycled from Dublin to Brittas Bay? From Loughlinstown to Shankill the N11 becomes a motorway and then turn back to the N11 to Ashford.

Do people just stay off the N11 after Loughlinstown or hop back on after Shankill?

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

There’s a lot of issues around DOB, but I think the positives far outweigh the negatives. I realise this is a hard sell argument though.

The main actual negatives are that his team appears to have bribed to get ESAT licence and that he then didn’t pay income tax on his gains from exiting ESAT.

Regarding the bribes – under no circumstance is this acceptable and this has cast a permanent stain over his character.
              As far as I got, should have cast a prison cell over his character!

Comment

Is Hitch defending a billionaire businessman with questionable morals who's easily woundup?

Comment

Comment

It's a nuanced argument. A reasonable one though.
                    It's an apology for serious corruption using some fairly questionable hindsight and 'sure didn't he pay for Trapattoni'.

I think my favourite is the part where you credit him with the popularisation of mobile phones in Ireland. I'm half mortified after reading that.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                      Is Hitch defending a billionaire businessman with questionable morals who's easily woundup?
                      Ya, but, he's our billionaire businessman with questionable morals who's easily woundup! so...

Comment

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 05-04-18, 11:52.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                          Anyone cycled from Dublin to Brittas Bay? From Loughlinstown to Shankill the N11 becomes a motorway and then turn back to the N11 to Ashford.

Do people just stay off the N11 after Loughlinstown or hop back on after Shankill?
                          The motorway didn't exist the last time I would have done it. Think it's still best to stay off and go through Shankill, Bray, Greysytones, Kilcoole etc.
                          Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

ESAT did a lot of very innovative things at the time that made mobile phones accessible to way more people through offering packages. Obv super-normal now, and not particularly new internationally, but very new to Irish market.
                            Do you honestly have some feeling that without Denis O'Brien mobile phones wouldn't have become as popular in Ireland? And that his role in helping them integrate with Irish life partially mitigates his bribing of politicians? It doesn't seem like a serious position to hold.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                              I think my favourite is the part where you credit him with the popularisation of mobile phones in Ireland. I'm half mortified after reading that.
                              LOL I'd picked out that sentence for special mention

It's an apology for serious corruption.
                              Serious corruption, really?
                              Even by European standards this was small beer, and lets not even look at real institutional state wide corruption in Africa and the Americas.
                              I've seen and suffered from corruption here from when you had to pay off FF through the likes of Liam Lawlor to get any planning permission anywhere to senior legal professionals playing both sides of cases and they would IMO be far more insidious and dangerous than what happened here.
                              Lowry is a bent as a 9 bob note and has never done anything for anyone that didn't benefit him. He is despicable and was bought so cheaply he probably didn't even consider it a bribe but IMO his greatest achievement for the public good was to get that ESAT contract to an Irish bidder rather than a multinational. That deal was all win for Ireland resulting in billions of investment here that never would have happened if Vodafone or Hutchinson had got the licence.
                              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Go Shankill, Bray, Greystones, Kilcoole, Newcastle then follow the back road towards Rathnew, when you get to Hunters Hotel turn right up into Ashford and head back out onto the N11 from there, down to Jack Whites for a pint then off into Brittas.

Comment

Originally posted by CHDog View Post
                                  Go Shankill, Bray, Greystones, Kilcoole, Newcastle then follow the back road towards Rathnew, when you get to Hunters Hotel turn right up into Ashford and head back out onto the N11 from there, down to Jack Whites for a pint then off into Brittas.
                                  Cheers, that's the way I was leaning alright

Comment

Cheers, that's the way I was leaning alright
                                    There's also a right turn before hunters that'll bring you up to Coynes Cross, big applegreen service station there. Back road up into Ashford connects up to that too.

Comment

Originally posted by CHDog View Post
                                      There's also a right turn before hunters that'll bring you up to Coynes Cross, big applegreen service station there. Back road up into Ashford connects up to that too.
                                      I'm not going all the way out to Brittas, just past Silver Strand, so will just head through rathnew and wicklow when i do it

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                        Serious corruption, really?
                                        Even by European standards this was small beer, and lets not even look at real institutional state wide corruption in Africa and the Americas.
                                        I've seen and suffered from corruption here from when you had to pay off FF through the likes of Liam Lawlor to get any planning permission anywhere to senior legal professionals playing both sides of cases and they would IMO be far more insidious and dangerous than what happened here.
                                        Lowry is a bent as a 9 bob note and has never done anything for anyone that didn't benefit him. He is despicable and was bought so cheaply he probably didn't even consider it a bribe but IMO his greatest achievement for the public good was to get that ESAT contract to an Irish bidder rather than a multinational. That deal was all win for Ireland resulting in billions of investment here that never would have happened if Vodafone or Hutchinson had got the licence.
                                        Sorry I probably should have said 'harmless corruption', we were asking for it really.

Where did the billions of investment that wouldn't have happened if Vodafone or Hutchinson had got the licence come from? Genuine question.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Your concentrating on that, and that's fine. I did say this. I personally felt that ESAT was the firm that kick-started mobile phone use in Ireland.

My main point in the post though was that he's not just that, he's much more things and a lot of those things are very positive, suggesting he's not one-dimensional. People do judge people on a single action though (in this case a huge negative one) and that's fine too. I just don't agree that's the case here.
                                              I understand that you were trying to paint a picture I just thought some of the things you were painting as positives were a bit of a reach.

I've bribed cops in Mexico and Bogota, because that's the way they do business. I don't think that reflects on me. If Lowry is the type of guy who had to have a bribe (and everything suggests he was), does that then fully reflect on DOBs character. I don't think so really. It does a lot, but it doesn't fully.
                                              This is a reasonable point I'm happy to concede. It's at least probable that bribing the likes of Lowry was just how the game was played.

Your points go some way towards proving he's not the prince of darkness and has done some apparently noble stuff over the years, but he's still a bribing, tax dodging, occasionally nasty and exceptionally litigious character who has attempted to take out a court injunction essentially against parliamentary privilege amongst other Trump-esque dick moves. He's now at the centre of a data protection/hacking scandal and has several other smoke/fire stories swirling around at any given time.

With all this sort of stuff - and we're only scratching the surface let's be fair - I think your general point that he is an unfairly maligned sort of character because of this one mistake far back in his past is a real stretch.

Comment

Anywhere streaming this, be much appreciated.

Comment

The Aintree Tipping Comp is open for all business, new and repeat.
                                                  Be in it to win it and all that.

"We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

I guess strewel means through the creation of Irish tech innovation, that would have otherwise been concentrated in London or Hong Kong. Those employees from ESAT going on to form expertise for other firms and create startups.
                                                    Very much this and also the direct investment of money and expertise he has had in a lot of small Irish companies. I got my start in software in one such company that he owned and while eventually the plug was pulled after a dozen years on a company that afaik never really made money the place was always well supported by him. It was a proper incubator with allsorts of spin offs most of whom are still operating within Ireland.
                                                    but he's still a bribing, tax dodging, occasionally nasty and exceptionally litigious character who has attempted to take out a court injunction essentially against parliamentary privilege amongst other Trump-esque dick moves. He's now at the centre of a data protection/hacking scandal and has several other smoke/fire stories swirling around at any given time.
                                                    Would only argue about the bolded bit. The way Catherine Murphy was used as a mouthpiece in the Dail for the O'Reilly faction was a total abuse of privilege. Add to that the behaviour of Mary Lou, Posh boy Murphy, Wallace and Gromit as well as others from the main parties in this Dail who have turned the right no better than a way of venting whatever shite some lad in the pub told them without any fear of repercussions. Its just not reasonable any more for individuals not to have any right against that kind of abuse.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                      Very much this and also the direct investment of money and expertise he has had in a lot of small Irish companies. I got my start in software in one such company that he owned and while eventually the plug was pulled after a dozen years on a company that afaik never really made money the place was always well supported by him. It was a proper incubator with allsorts of spin offs most of whom are still operating within Ireland.

Would only argue about the bolded bit. The way Catherine Murphy was used as a mouthpiece in the Dail for the O'Reilly faction was a total abuse of privilege. Add to that the behaviour of Mary Lou, Posh boy Murphy, Wallace and Gromit as well as others from the main parties in this Dail who have turned the right no better than a way of venting whatever shite some lad in the pub told them without any fear of repercussions. Its just not reasonable any more for individuals not to have any right against that kind of abuse.
                                                      I know where you're coming from w.r.t Dail privilege but I think we are better off with it than without it for various reasons.

Comment

Comment

Def. But we seem to have had at least two TDs who fed PR lies into the dail record. That's the beginning of a very bad trend. I don't really mind Murphy etc stating nonsense, but do mind a lot TDs being playthings of rich people games parroting their talking points under privilege.
                                                          The Colm Keaveney saga is just Father Ted level bonkers.

Not a fan of DO'B at all btw and think he should have done jail time. In a proper republic of laws, he would have.
                                                          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Lol McGregor.

Comment

Originally posted by Xeyboy View Post
                                                              Lol McGregor.
                                                              Scumbag, hope he and his team get arrested for causing damage.

Comment

Wow, illegal US border crossings at a 46 year low!

Comment

Originally posted by Hooch View Post
                                                                  Scumbag, hope he and his team get arrested for causing damage.
                                                                  Yeah that's what I was loling he has been arrested.

Comment

Originally posted by Xeyboy View Post
                                                                    Yeah that's what I was loling he has been arrested.
                                                                    As much as I can't stand the cunt, that looks like his typical style of promoting. Wouldn't be surprised if Dana knew about it beforehand

Comment

Originally posted by jack90210 View Post

Comment

How do they count them?

Comment

How do they count them?
                                                                          Drop offs in dole office figures in Tijuana!

Comment

How do they count them?
                                                                            Same lad that counted Sergio's shots on 15 does it

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                              As much as I can't stand the cunt, that looks like his typical style of promoting. Wouldn't be surprised if Dana knew about it beforehand
                                                                              Blatantly ripped that scene off from the WWE

Comment

This Arsenal game is fun. 3-1 up after 28 mins. Awesome 2nd goal from Ramsey

Comment

How do they count them?
                                                                                  Jack is right it is at a 46 year low. It’s based on arrests of illegal border crossings which is generally accepted as being reflective of overall migration numbers.

It’s the 3rd record low in the last 10 years apparently. 2 under Obama and one under Trump.

Not entirely sure what Jack is implying though. Maybe it’s that Trump’s increased expenditure on immigration controls is totally unnecessary?
                                                                                  You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                  World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                                                                      Jack is right it is at a 46 year low. It’s based on arrests of illegal border crossings which is generally accepted as being reflective of overall migration numbers.

It’s the 3rd record low in the last 10 years apparently. 2 under Obama and one under Trump.

Not entirely sure what Jack is implying though. Maybe it’s that Trump’s increased expenditure on immigration controls is totally unnecessary?
                                                                                      Or that 'Merica is such a shithole now that less people want to go?

Comment

Well it is still a very high number but President Trump hitting one of his key policy targets so quickly is impressive.

Comment

Surely a record high number of arrests at the border would be what you would be looking for here if you were looking to laud Trump.

'US Immigration arrests least illegal immigrants ever'

Comment

Well it is still a very high number but President Trump hitting one of his key policy targets so quickly is impressive.
                                                                                            You’re suggesting that his policies are the reason for the decline?

Comment

Christ what a time for Starstreams to throw a wobbler

Comment

Why would we care about the minutiae of American border traffic? If you want to make a point about how great Trump is then go ahead, but this constant spouting of nonsense trying to get an argument out of nothing is really annoying. If I wanted to read stuff like this I'd sign up to Trumps twitter, at least his tweets are funny.

Comment

Artem Lobov fight scrapped because of his involvement in the McGregor stuff

Comment

Thought illegal immigration dropped just by a Trump being elected?

Comment

Mcgregor has gone full wwe.
                                                                                                      Holy fuck. I've no idea how this could possibly be spun positively.
                                                                                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Will edit at home
                                                                                                        Last edited by DeadParrot; 05-04-18, 20:46. Reason: https://twitter.com/Grabaka_Hitman/status/981984469052739584?s=20
                                                                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Been a while since i saw this, but it's as good as it was 34 years ago......wow, 34 years ago!!!

John Virgo impersonating some of the greats of the game.I had the pleasure of meeting John on numerous occasions at a snooker club in West London and he is a...

Comment

Eric Bristow RIP

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

Will edit at home

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                                                I voted for him

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                                                                                  Eric Bristow RIP
                                                                                                                  Aaron Ramsey should be arrested at this stage.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                                                    Thought illegal immigration dropped just by a Trump being elected?
                                                                                                                    @Kayroo

This is it. He hasn't even had a chance to get the wall going yet and just by his words basically has decreased the illegals.

Comment

@Kayroo

This is it. He hasn't even had a chance to get the wall going yet and just by his words basically has decreased the illegals.
                                                                                                                      I read it that he just got worse at catching them.
                                                                                                                      Why do you give a shit anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                                                                                        Eric Bristow RIP
                                                                                                                        Aaron Ramsey does it again....

Comment

@Kayroo

So you’re saying that he got elected and solely by his words and the fact of him being who he is that immigration has reduced?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X