Irish Poker Boards
GG Poker May 17
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Personal Logs

Old 25-08-11, 11:25   #21
Moneymaker

Send a message via MSN to Moneymaker Send a message via Skype™ to Moneymaker
Or just use the bar itself with no weights on it.

As Emmet said, form >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> weight

I see lads in my gym doing 100kg squats and they barely move, it's laughable actually.
Moneymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-11, 11:53   #22
jack90210

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeetMagic View Post

Unassisted Dips: 3 X 15 reps
Pull Ups: 3/4 X 8-10 reps

I'd be extremely surprised if you managed to do this after not being in the gym for a very long time.
jack90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-11, 12:04   #23
FeetMagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack90210 View Post
I'd be extremely surprised if you managed to do this after not being in the gym for a very long time.
Haven't been in a gym consistently (ie 3/4 times a week) in quite a while but I went maybe once or twice a week in June and July. Haven't been since end of July but hoping I haven't lost much strength.
FeetMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-11, 04:10   #24
FeetMagic

Quote:
Dumbell Bench: 4/5 X 6-8 reps (~80lbs)
Unassisted Dips: 3 X 15 reps
Pull Ups: 3/4 X 8-10 reps
Bicep Curls: 4 X 8-10 reps
Breakfast: 2 boiled eggs

Went gym today. Weighed myself as 12 stone 5 lbs which google tells me is 78kg. Pretty happy with that.

Dumbell bench 4 x 8 x 80lbs
Bicep curls 4 x 20 x 10kg (alot harder than I anticipated)
Machine leg press 4 x 15 x 100kg
Pull ups 4 x 6 (struggled alot last set, arms were in bits at this stage)
Dips 3 x 15 (again last set v hard)

Did two 400m sprints at 18km/h on treadmill in between and tried to do some behind the head tricep things but arms were as good as gone. Happy enough with the session though.

Post-workout: Protein shake
Fried diced chicken with peppers brocolli and corn

Was looking like a good day but went out on the sauce then. Plenty of pints and a chicken panini with chips unfortunately. Anyways hoping to make the gym again tomorrow.
Old 29-08-11, 09:27   #25
FeetMagic

Didn't make it to the gym yesterday - body was aching. I'm still pretty sore today so going to go for a run tonight and gym tomorrow. I'm going to get my body fat checked in there. I have no idea what it currently is but was wondering what is a healthy % to aim for?
Old 29-08-11, 11:09   #26
FeetMagic

OK going to aim for the gym 3x this week so going to break the sessions up as I'm in bits from Saturday's one.

Tomorrow:

Inclined dumbell bench 4 x 8 x 60lbs
Inverted Row 4 x 10 x 60lbs
Pull ups 4 x 6
Dips 3 x 15
3 x 300m sprints

2nd session:
Inverted Row 4 x 10 x 60lbs

Metabolic conditioning (recommended by Theresalwaysone in general thread)
15 push ups
10 burpees
Plank 45 seconds
Sprint 150m

Repeat 5 times. 2 mins rest in between each set.

10k on bike

3rd session:

Bicep curls 4 x 20 x 10kg
Pull ups 4 x 6
Dips 3 x 15
3 x 300m sprint

Are they split up alright? Or is there certain weights I should do together on one day and others on another?
Old 01-09-11, 09:23   #27
FeetMagic

Went to the gym on Tuesday. The place was packed and I probably spent more time standing around waiting for bench/weights than actually working out. When I was working out I wasn't doing a good job either

Inclined dumbell bench 4 x 8 x 30kg
Dumbell bench 2 x 8 x 40kg
2 x 8 x 30kg
Bicep curls 2 x 10 x 20kg
2 x 10 x 15kg
Machine leg press 2 x 15 x 100kg
2 x 15 x 90kg
Pull ups 2 x 6
Dips 2 x 15
1 x 10
400m on treadmill @ 17-18km/h

Wasn't happy with any of the weights to be honest. Felt tired and dehydrated in there so was probably a one off. Going for a run tonight and gym early tomorrow so hopefully will be able to get BF checked and have someone show me the compound lifts.

Diet is going alright. Have been too lazy with the eggs in the morning so think I'll just boil them night before and have cold boiled eggs. Lunches and dinner have been pretty much spot on though; have a small portion of carbs with both but think it's ok. Late night snacks are the only thing that haven't been cut out but I will cut them down gradually.
Old 01-09-11, 09:25   #28
Emmet
Bashful the next day

Any particular reason you lift dumbbells over the barbell?

Personally think that every time you lift you should use as much of your body as possible (barbell), especially when working for an "overall" fitness / physique / weightloss routine.
Emmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-11, 09:37   #29
FeetMagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmet View Post
Any particular reason you lift dumbbells over the barbell?

Personally think that every time you lift you should use as much of your body as possible (barbell), especially when working for an "overall" fitness / physique / weightloss routine.
Ya I've never really used the barbell unfortunately. And when I go to the gym it's usually on my own so I'm kind of nervous about using it incase I couldn't make the last lift or something. With the dumbells it's very easy to drop them to the ground if there's any trouble. Would you do the benchpress on your own usually or ask someone in there to spot you?
Old 01-09-11, 09:41   #30
Emmet
Bashful the next day

Quote:
Ya I've never really used the barbell unfortunately. And when I go to the gym it's usually on my own so I'm kind of nervous about using it incase I couldn't make the last lift or something. With the dumbells it's very easy to drop them to the ground if there's any trouble. Would you do the benchpress on your own usually or ask someone in there to spot you?
Always ask for a spotter, you get more out of yourself. They'll also encourage another rep that you wouldn't attempt when they feel that you'd make it, which is crazy beneficial for the mental side of progression imo.

Nobody minds spotting, mostly because if someone asks you to spot them, they'll likely return the favour. Just have to ask, I've never heard anyone say no.
Thanks From:
Old 01-09-11, 09:59   #31
Theresa
lwaysone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmet View Post
Where you getting this from?

If anything, using Dumbbells is how to use more of your body. Its more awkward on bigger lifts and potentially more dangerous but the above defo doesnt hold true imo.

If you can bench 80kg 3x5. I bet its more than likely you cant Dumbbell bench two 40kg dumbells for 3x5 reps. You get so much more tired so much faster. Your stabilising over two heavy weights not just one that is more or less balanced.

I use Barbells but because they are more stable, they dont punish imbalances (which we all have) like dumbells do, and they are also safer (imo) not because I want to get more of my body used because its not really the case.
Old 01-09-11, 10:03   #32
Emmet
Bashful the next day

Sorry, I always forget to use the word safely.

"Personally think that every time you lift you should safely use as much of your body as possible (barbell), especially when working for an "overall" fitness / physique / weightloss routine."

For me, as I've said before, form is king, do it wrong, hurt yourself, lift more than you should, no biggie, you just fail. Lift too many reps, again, you just fail, and you don't hurt yourself as long as your form is right. I think that using a barbell is the safest way to push more of your body. I also like that it maintains a balance across your body and you are forced to correct imbalances in strength. (kind of)
Old 01-09-11, 14:02   #33
Mellor

Quote:
I'm going to get my body fat checked in there. I have no idea what it currently is but was wondering what is a healthy % to aim for?
What's healthy? Very vague, but below 20% you are out of any immediate danger, below 15% you are in good shape, and approaching 10% you're in great shape.
The method of measurement is important too, machines where you grip handles or stand on a scales are various degrees of way out.
Calipers are good, if in the hands of a guy who can use them, and
DEXA scan or BodPod is nuts

35 Betfair bonus
Mellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-11, 14:52   #34
FeetMagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellor View Post
What's healthy? Very vague, but below 20% you are out of any immediate danger, below 15% you are in good shape, and approaching 10% you're in great shape.
The method of measurement is important too, machines where you grip handles or stand on a scales are various degrees of way out.
Calipers are good, if in the hands of a guy who can use them, and
DEXA scan or BodPod is nuts
I'll probably be looking to get close to 10% so. I'd imagine I'm 14-16 will find out tomorrow.
Old 01-09-11, 23:37   #35
Mellor

10% is what I'd suggest everyone should aim for, but its a long term goal.
Bodyfat is a good figure to know, but its not an universal accross all weight ranges. A very skinny guy could have a low BF%, but not be in great shape due to lack of muscle.

Don't be surprised if you are higher than you're estimate. But you never know. you've similar stats to me, so i'll be interested to see what you come in at.

35 Betfair bonus
Mellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 02-09-11, 14:10   #36
FeetMagic

Went to the gym this morning and somehow it completely slipped my mind to get the BF checked. Anyways will remember next time. The session was better than the last one but I was a bit short of time:

Warm up - 500m on treadmill

Dumbell Bench: 3 X 8 reps @ 12.5kg
3 X 8 reps @ 15kg
3 X 8 reps @ 17.5kg

400m on treadmill @ 19km/hr

Pull Ups: 3 X 3 reps
3 X 6 reps

Unassisted Dips: 3 X 10 reps

400m @ 18.5km/h

Not sure of the name of this one. It involves having one knee and hand on bench for support while other arm lifts weight towards body. Everyone seems to do it. 3 x 10 @25kg for both sides.

Next one was like the lat pulldown with dumbells.
1 x 8 x 30kg
2 x 6 x 30kg

400m treadmill @ 18km/h
Old 02-09-11, 15:24   #37
Emmet
Bashful the next day

Unknown exercise is the one arm row.

Use this site for help with any exercise http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

Any thoughts on doing Squats? They're the bessssst
Thanks From:
Old 02-09-11, 15:44   #38
FeetMagic

Ya only had an hour to pass in there yesterday so just wanted to get through a few things quickly. Next time I go, which will probably be Monday as I've a weekend of drinking planned, I'll try get someone to show me the form for squats, deadlifts, etc.
Old 02-09-11, 16:21   #39
jack90210

Weekend drinking why just do Saturday night instead of the whole thing?
jack90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-11, 17:39   #40
FeetMagic

Out after the match & EP tomorrow...

Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Personal Logs