Irish Poker Boards
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Personal Logs

Old 08-01-11, 18:54   #1
FeetMagic

Get healthy and fit of course

Alright, I wasn't going to bother with a log because my plans for the year, health and fitness wise, were quite similiar to Lao Lao's plans posted here and I got a ton of good info from there so didn't see the need. But I do have a few q's and there's no harm in having a thread to keep me motivated http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...ead.php?t=7246
My aims aren't too specific. I'm not looking for any drastic weight loss, however I would like to cut some fat especially around the stomach area but I'm hoping this will come as a by-product of my main aim which is to be able to participate in a triathalon by the year's end.

At the minute I'm in decent shape physically but am very unfit. I'm 5'11' and roughly 12-12.5 stone. Basically my plan is to hit the gym 4-5 times a week and alternate between cardio and weights. I will most likely focus on the programme Emmet posted in the above thread and focus on high intensity interval training on the treadmill/bike/cross-trainer, most likely alternating the days between cardio and weights. I haven't been in the gym in a few weeks now with Christmas and all that but will be back in again on Monday.

The other thing is diet. My diet wasn't great the past year but wasn't terrible either. Anyway, over the last few days I've tried to incorporate some of the advice from Lao Lao's thread into my diet.

I'll give yesterday's and today's meals so far:

Yesterday:

Breakfast: One boiled, one bowl of 4 weetabix, normal milk

Lunch: Big tin of tuna

Dinner: Steak, mushrooms, brocolli, carrots, potatoes. Now that wouldnt be a regular dinner for me; it's alot healthier than I'd usually have but I'm going to try keep it up.

Late night snack: Bowl of 4 weetabix, milk.

Today:

Breakfast: Two boiled eggs.

Lunch: A white roll with butter, smoked salmon, lettuce and black pepper.

Dinner: Roast chicken with potatoes, carrots, cauliflower, sprouts, gravy.

Some of the foods I regularly intake that may have to be axed: milk (~2 litres a day), bread (eat quite a lot of rolls), smoked salmon, pasta & pasta sauces, potatoes. Would have been eating a fair amount of junk food but obv I realise I have to avoid this.
Now considering my aim isn't exactly to lose weight, more get fit and cut some fat, is it important that I drop the above items? I would find milk pretty hard to drop completely but I can certainly cut it down. I will drop the white bread pretty easily. Not sure if the smoked salmon is even bad but I'm sure it's not good.

The thing is I have no problem having a protein-heavy diet as outlined in LaoLao's thread but I have trouble having a dinner with no carbs. I'll happily guzzle through a large amount of tuna, turkey, chicken, steak etc but it's very rare I'd have a dinner without spuds/pasta/rice. What sort of alternatives do ye recommend? I read Jackybacks post in the thread that was very good and gave a few ideas for good foods but most of the dinner plans were protein-rich meats accompanied by just salad or veg. Anyone know about the pastas available in health shops, would they be any use?
FeetMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-11, 23:10   #2
Jackyback
Ironman

You probably don't want to hear it but i would reduce your milk intake and replace full fat with slimline when you are using it. Likewise on the white bread i would try cut this out also. Eating pasta is ok in moderation and can be used as a replacement to some meals instead of boring salad Your height/weight ratio is not too bad at all, have you had any BMI / BF assesment done as this will give you an idea on what your starting point is.

If you are training 4/5 times a week in particular doing weights try get a good bit of protein into your diet for muscle recovery. Best of luck with the log
Jackyback is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 09-01-11, 22:11   #3
Mellor

Smoked salmon is fine imo,
but the rest have to go, bread milk rice spuds, or at least be cut down, as these never reallly go totally.
As for an alternative to carbs, i'm a big fan of broccolli and cauliflower as veggies. High in vitamins and antioxidents (eg broccolli has almost twice the vitamin c as oranges /100g), plus they are low in carbs and calories

35 Betfair bonus
Mellor is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Old 10-01-11, 14:50   #4
FeetMagic

Cheers for the advice. Diet seems to be going alright. Had a chicken fillet last night with some veg and just one spud but tonight I'll just go for the meat and some veg. Heading to the gym in a while and I'm planning on doing cardio today. Just wondering, with regard the swimming, are there programmes that people use in the water or would ye just get in and aim for a certain number of lenghts? Also, is there any advantage in doing the different strokes or should I just stick to the front crawl?
Old 10-01-11, 15:07   #5
Jackyback
Ironman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeetMagic View Post
Cheers for the advice. Diet seems to be going alright. Had a chicken fillet last night with some veg and just one spud but tonight I'll just go for the meat and some veg. Heading to the gym in a while and I'm planning on doing cardio today. Just wondering, with regard the swimming, are there programmes that people use in the water or would ye just get in and aim for a certain number of lenghts? Also, is there any advantage in doing the different strokes or should I just stick to the front crawl?
Here is 17 swim sessions i normally use and vary in my training. If your starting from scratch you may want to reduce the distances until you build up your swim endurance and also build from the earlier routines as they are shorter.
This site is also very helpful. Apologies about layout but i cannot attach an excel file.

# Swim Session Description
1 300 warm up, 8x50 drills, 12 x100 @20sec, 8x50 drills and 200 cool down
2 300 warm up, 8x50 drills, 3x125 @ 20sec, 2x175 @ 30 secs, 3x125 @ 20secs, 8x50 drills and 200 cool down
3 300 warm up, 8x50 drills, 16x25 @ 10 secs, 1x400 @ 60 secs, 16x25 @ 10 secs, 8x50 drills and 200 cool down
4 300 warm up, 8x50 drills, 1x300 @ 40 secs, 3x200 @ 30 secs, 1x300 @ 30 secs, 8x50 drills and 200 cool down
5 2500 straight swim at comfortable pace (75-80% perceived effort)
6 500 warm up, 8x50 drills, 4x200 @ 20 secs, 6x100 @ 15 secs, 8x50 drills and 300 cool down
7 500 warm up, 8x50 drills, 16x25 @ 10 secs, 600 pull, 16x25 drills @ 10 secs, 8x50 drills and 300 cool down
8 500 warm up, 8x50 drills, 10x50 @ 15 secs, 4x100 @ 20 secs, 10x50 @ 15 secs, 8x50 drills and 300 cool down
9 500 warm up, 8x50 drills, 200-300-400-500 @ 45 secs, 8x50 drills and 300 cool down
10 500 warm up, 8x50 drills, 7x125 @ 20 secs, 7x75 @ 15 secs, 8x50 drills and 300 cool down
11 3000 straight swim at comfortable pace (75-80% perceived effort)
12 500 warm up, 8x50 drills, 12x75 @ 20 secs, 12x50 @ 15 secs, 12x25 @ 10 secs, 8x50 drills and 300 cool down
13 500 warm up, 8x50 drills, 5x400 @ 45 secs, 8x50 drills, 300 cool down
14 500 warm up, 8x50 drills, 6x(50+100+150) @ 20 secs, 8x50 drills, 300 cool down
15 500 warm up, 8x50 drills, 5x200 @ 30 secs, 5x100 @ 20 secs, 5x50 @ 10 secs, 6x25 @ 5 secs, 8x50 drills and 300 cool down
16 500 warm up, 8x50 drills, 3x150 @ 20 secs, 4x250 @ 30 secs, 3x150 @ 20 secs, 8x50 drills and 300 cool down
17 3500 straight swim at comfortable pace (75-80% perceived effort)
Jackyback is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 12-01-11, 12:36   #6
FeetMagic

Okay so I went to the gym on Monday and yesterday. Had forgotten how unfit I was. Did some interval training on the crosstrainer, a bit of running and some cycling but barely even clocked up 4k overall. So I have a lot to work on fitness wise. On Tuesday I was only in for a short while so did a small mix of weights and cardio and then went swimming. Again, I had forgotten how bad I was at this too, barely managing 10 lengths in a 25m pool.

Diet wise I have stuck to some things quite well. My breakfast every day has been two eggs. Meant to ask it is alright to be eating this amount of eggs or should I find an alternative protein source for breakfast? I had one slip up yesterday at lunch opting for chips and sausages. Dinner was chicken, brocolli, cauliflower, corn, rice and uncle bens sweet and sour sauce. Dinner the night before was a lot of tuna, some pasta and a tomato sauce. So I think I'm doing quite well on the diet front, obviously I need to drop the sauces and try not to go for a fatty lunch again but overall it has been going decent. I haven't had any junk food snacks and am eating a healthy amount of fruit and veg. So all in all, an okay start but plenty of work to do fitness wise.
Old 12-01-11, 22:54   #7
Mellor

Quote:
My breakfast every day has been two eggs. Meant to ask it is alright to be eating this amount of eggs or should I find an alternative protein source for breakfast?
Two eggs is perfect.
Eggs got a bad rep a few years ago with chlolestrol being scrutinised by the media and doctors alike.
But as we now know, there are two kinds of chlolestrol, HDL and LDL, or good and bad. Bad chlolestrol levels is more about your ratio of good to bad than it is about total levels (which is important too). Which is why its given as two numbers, like BP.

Eggs are rich in the good kind, so they could potentially help improve the situation. Plus, blood chlolestrol levels have been show are a function of overall diet, not dietry chlolestrol levels. Which means eating crap gives you high chlolestrol, not eating foods that contain good chlolestrol (foods high in bad chlolestrol would be considered crap, so they'd be bad for you)

Quote:
Dinner was chicken, brocolli, cauliflower, corn, rice and uncle bens sweet and sour sauce.
Chicken broc and cauli is fine. Prob 3 best dinner ingredients you'll eat regularly.
Go easy with corn, its very high in sugar. Don't have it as a regular veg.
Watch the rice portion size. Start weighing it and use pack data get estimate cals, you prob be shocked at how high it is.
Uncle bens sauces are crap. Full of sugar, and additives. I've stopped using packed sauces and instead use fresh strong flavours. vinegar, garlic, soy sauce, chilli. Taste is no different, benefits are huge

35 Betfair bonus
Thanks From:
Old 13-01-11, 15:02   #8
FeetMagic

Cheers for that Mellor, some very useful advice there. I wouldn't have been aware of the high sugar levels in corn. Are there any other veg that I shouldn't regularly eat?
Last night dinner was the remainder of the cauliflower, brocolli and corn, this time with pasta, tuna and a tomato sauce.
Yesterday's lunch was a chicken fillet and some brocolli, cauliflower and peas.
Breakfast today was two eggs again and lunch was chicken rice peppers and a tikka sauce (bought in the canteen in college where there isn't much choice).
I'm definitely going to get rid of the sauces and stock up on the naturally strong flavoured food that you mentioned. Thanks for all the advice.
Thanks From:
Old 13-01-11, 18:37   #9
Lurker23

Best of luck FM.
Lurker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 13-01-11, 23:10   #10
Mellor

Quote:
Cheers for that Mellor, some very useful advice there. I wouldn't have been aware of the high sugar levels in corn. Are there any other veg that I shouldn't regularly eat?
They are all fine in moderation, but its better to weigh it towards the better ones.
The ones I avoid having too often are dense root veg. (turnip, carrots etc). Amd when I do, its always maybe 1/3 of my veg.

Basically, 100 cals of brocolli is more filling than 100 cals of dense veg, due to the physical size of the portion

Quote:
I'm definitely going to get rid of the sauces and stock up on the naturally strong flavoured food that you mentioned. Thanks for all the advice
This is one of the best diet changes imo. One you start using dry spices you'll be amazed at the flavours and style you mix up.

35 Betfair bonus
Thanks From:
Old 14-01-11, 13:33   #11
FeetMagic

Still going well on the diet; dinner last night was 3 scrambled eggs with a large tin of tuna and some brocolli. I probably won't ever eat this combination again, wasn't at all appetising tbh. Breakfast this morning was 2 eggs again.

I have completely cut out white bread and don't plan on buying any sauces any time soon but I have only marginally cut down on the milk. I have cut it completely out of my breakfast but I still have a pint of it with my lunch and ~1l in the evening/night. I'm going to start by cutting it out of my lunches and go from there. With regard the slimline milk, is this different to low fat milk? I couldn't see any slimline milk in the shops the last few days unless ye source it elsewhere?

I'm heading to the gym later on this evening so will post up what I did. Hoping to put in a good session of weights, rowing, cross-trainer and some swimming. I'll also weigh my self before the session and try and get my body fat measured.
Old 14-01-11, 16:56   #12
FeetMagic

Lunch today: Fillet of fish with carrots and peas

Should probably have mentioned I am a light smoker; average about 4/5 a day. I have no doubt this has a big impact on my fitness capabilities and I am trying to cut down on them.
Old 17-01-11, 17:35   #13
FeetMagic

Havent updated lately because I'm doing exams atm. The diet is still going well but haven't had time to go to the gym lately. May go for a run/cycle tonight.
Old 24-01-11, 17:18   #14
FeetMagic

Exams nearly coming to an end so will be back to a proper regime come Monday and will be updating this more regularly. Haven't made it to the gym at all since I was on last and my only exercise has been a run one night but that's just down to lack of time and tiredness.

I've kept the diet up pretty well, been flying through chicken fillets the last week, my meal most nights was 2 chicken breasts pan-fried with stir fry veg (incl corn mushrooms bean sprouts red/yellow peppers carrots brocolli) some pasta and soy sauce. Haven't gone near the packaged sauces lately; just been putting some chilli powder on the chicken and soy sauce too. Had a few minor slip ups but nothing drastic so happy enough with that.

Just said I'd post something up so it doesn't look like I've given up on this. I certainly haven't and plan to be in the gym 3/4 times a week from Monday onwards.
Old 31-01-11, 20:16   #15
FeetMagic

First day back in the gym in a while now. Covered 4km on threadmill and bike and did about 30 mins weight session covering bicep curls, upward row, pull ups, dips, chest presses, and some sit ups.

Diet has been going well, have completely stopped using the packaged sauces. I am eating a lot of veg and a lot of protein so should be on the right track. Milk is still a big problem though - still getting through ~2litres a day. Where is the "slimline" milk available? Is there any point in subbing to low-fat milk?

Diet today as example, most days have been similiar enough..

Brekkie: 2 boiled eggs

Protein shake post workout

Snack: Tin of tuna and some lettuce with a teaspoon of mayonnaise

Dinner: Chicken, potatoes, leek, carrots, brocolli, gravy.
Old 02-02-11, 17:45   #16
FeetMagic

Absolutely dying with a hangover today, ate a 3 egg scrambled egg with cherry tomatoes and parsley, served with some rocket leaves. Was pretty tasty.

Not going to make it to the gym today but may go for a run later.
Old 02-02-11, 18:16   #17
Emmet
Bashful the next day

hangover gym sessions are brilliant.

Try it, you will thank me an hour after it.
Emmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-11, 15:52   #18
FeetMagic

I must say it's pretty disappointing reading back through that. 8 months on and not too much has changed for me tbh. However I'm happy to say I'll be getting back into the swing of things this evening.

Fitness wise I can't say there's been any change. Whenever I've worked on cardio in the past year (and there was a 1 or 2 month spell at the start of the summer where I ran 3/4 times a week) I just haven't seen results. It's really frustrating because only 3 years ago I had no trouble with it. The only thing I can blame is cigarettes. Although I'm not a heavy smoker (avg 5 a day) my breathing is very bad when I'm running. Like I'll pretty much be out of breath after a kilometer and just push through another 2 or 3 when I'm running. Not sure if I could give them up atm so will just try and get other aspects of this back on track first. Mainly the diet.

I stuck to a pretty good diet since January it has to be said, with takeaways and sauces etc being used a lot less than last year. However, I regularly eat bread again after a few months off it. Also I've been eating quite a lot of junk food lately. I also stopped having 2 eggs for breakfast which I kept up until the summer. The last 3 weeks I've been having a banana for breakfast which really can't be good because I'm always starving come lunch. Anyways I haven't forgotten any of the tips I've read in the numerous logs on here and I'll be making the following changes to my diet from here on in:

- Cut down on milk
- Snack on fruit/nuts during day
- Less late night munchies
- Cut out bread
- Reduce calorie intake at dinner (less pasta/spuds)
- 2 egg brekkie

I would say (without having checked) that I'm pretty much the same weight as I was in January although I will get everything checked next week when I join a new gym.

QQs:
- Does anyone know where I can get a decent speedometer or whatever you'd call it? Something I can attach to my shorts that measures how far I've run? Think I'd have much more motivation if I actually knew what distances I was doing/aiming to do. Pretty sure any run I've done in the last 3 years has been <5k.

- Going for a run in a while and want to properly try the HIIT. So the routine is run/sprint/walk right? Just wondering what a basic programme here would be? Maybe run 300m/sprint 100/walk 100?

TL;DR: Diet kept up to ok standards, fitness still needs a lot of work, take 2 underway ...
Old 25-08-11, 10:36   #19
FeetMagic

OK so the run yesterday didn't go well. Jogged around 500m, then made 3 pathetic attempts at HIIT before jogging back. Did eat well though.

I'm joining a gym next week but plan on going for a session on Saturday if my necks alright (just have a small creak). So I'm going to throw up my usual gym workout here and see what people think:

Dumbell Bench: 4/5 X 6-8 reps (~80lbs)
Unassisted Dips: 3 X 15 reps
Pull Ups: 3/4 X 8-10 reps
Bicep Curls: 4 X 8-10 reps

That is unfortunately about all I can do in the gym. I'm not familiar with the techniques for squats, bench presses (unassisted), deadlifts, barbell rows, etc. So when I join next week that will be one of the first things I get sorted. I've watched youtube videos recommended by some of ye but I don't feel comfortable doing it as I haven't really got a clue if I'm doing it right.

I usually throw in some machine weights like the leg press, tricep one, etc. and do a small bit of core work & cardio. But my plan from here on in is to become familiar with the compound lifts and base my workouts around these. So mainly doing squats deadlifts and bench presses with some other weights. Also doing a small bit of cardio in every session such as 5 x 150m sprints during each session. And finally increasing the amount of core work I do by a significant margin. TomD posted the following core exercises in the main fitness thread and a quick google shows them to be pretty manageable so I will include these in my sessions:

For the core:
Plank
Russian twists
Plate shifting
T pushups
Turkish getups

So the plan for the future is to get to the gym 2/3 times a week and have another 2 days of outdoor cardio work which will involve a short warm up (500m-1k) and then one day will be HIIT and the other hill sprints. HIIT will probably be something along the lines of 300m run, 100m sprint, 150m walk x 4/5 and the hill sprint will be something of similiar intensity. Planning to go for another run tonight so will probably try the hill sprints out.
Old 25-08-11, 10:38   #20
Emmet
Bashful the next day

Get out the sweeping brush and practise the compound barbell lifts before you start in the gym. You'll feel a bit silly but form is vitally important.
Emmet is offline   Reply With Quote

Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Personal Logs