Irish Poker Boards
D4Events Feb17
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Personal Logs

Old 05-01-11, 22:49   #81
Emmet
Bashful the next day

I literally have done less than 2 minutes of stretching in 4 months of lifting....

Would you really do 20/25 mins of stretching with each session?
Emmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-11, 23:23   #82
Lurker23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmet View Post
I literally have done less than 2 minutes of stretching in 4 months of lifting....

Would you really do 20/25 mins of stretching with each session?
100%. No BS. I can tape it if you like

Flexiblity is of upmost importance but there's more to it than that. I guarantee there's a ton of muscles that your not using that you should be when your squatting and doing other compound movements. The only way to activate them is to actually become aware of them and know what they feel like (i.e. kinesthetic awareness). Do something like the wall hip flexor mobilization and you'll understand what i'm talking about.

Hell, I know there's a lot of muscles that I need to become aware of and subsequently engage to make my squats more efficient. I believe it's worth the time and effort invested but then again I'd like to compete in powerlifting. Hopefully the time spent on stretching and mobilization will mean I suffer less injuries (says he with a bad back ).

Obviously it's a personal decision. You could just try all of them first time around and pick out which ones you think will benefit you. Perhaps my list is a bit excessive but after five years of American Football + squatting three times a week (on and off between AF injuries!) + other compound movements it's what I feel I need to do to keep a decent range of motion / level of flexiblity. I pretty much live and breath for this sh*t tbh so I suppose the main point I'm trying to get across is to adjust that list to suit your individual requirements.

Last edited by Lurker23; 05-01-11 at 23:27.
Lurker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 06-01-11, 22:17   #83
Lurker23

Thursday 6th January
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
warm-up: usual

Weights - Bi's and Tri's

*Superset A*

Close Grip Bench Press

Bar x 2 x 8
40 x 6
60 x 5
75 x 12,10,5

Standing Barbell Curl

40 x 8,6,5

*Superset B*

Skullcrushers
EZ curl bar + 30kg x 4 x 10

Standing Dumbell Hammer Curl (1 sec concentric 3 seconds eccentric)
12 x 8,8,8,7

*Superset C*

Straight bar pushdown (cable - diff machine)
26.25 x 4 x 10

Dumbell Preacher Curl

10 x 12,12,12,9

Warm-down: usual
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Big drop off on most sets but that's to be expected since chest and back session was done yesterday.

Just wanted to get this workout out of the way. Gonna switch from supersetting to something else next week. That something else TBC as I'm weighing up a few options atm.

Last edited by Lurker23; 07-01-11 at 13:53. Reason: typo
Old 06-01-11, 22:25   #84
Lurker23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker23 View Post
I have some goals in mind for 2011 once I get healthy again. I'll think about it some more today and post them up tomorrow.
Only going to announce one goal for the moment as the others are dependent on getting my back sorted. I've got a squat and dead total in mind but I'll keep it to myself for now.

I've contacted a physio in the end rather than a chiropractor as I think it's a hip issue. Just waiting on word back with an appointment date.

2011 Goal One
Bench Press - 140
Old 13-01-11, 18:20   #85
Lurker23

Physio

I'm fixed

Nothing wrong with my back. The problem is my piriformis and gluteus medius on my left side. I've got some exercises and some research to do on more stretches for these areas. Physio checked my squat form and told me to clench my glutes a bit tighter whilst squatting. "You can start squatting again as soon as you like" he said. Words can't describe how happy I am.

He did a bit of trigger point therapy, similar to what I do at home with a baseball but he got much deeper into the glute with his elbow. Definitely improved my ROM staight away. I'm going again in two weeks to check how I'm progressing and hopefully that'll be it. I also need to do core work using a gym ball.

I've learned my lesson that I should've went sooner. Also, I don't think it's a coincidence that I've a weakness in the one area that I didn't know how to stretch/exercise. Just something to think about for those that don't stretch. Get stretching your piriformis people!
Old 13-01-11, 18:35   #86
Lurker23

Thursday 13th January
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Warm-up: usual

Weights - Legs and Shoulders

High Bar Barbell Squats
Bar x 5
60 x 5

Low Bar Barbell Squats (about 1.5 inches lower)
Bar x loads - ~ 10 mins messing about with positioning
40 x 5
60 x 5
80 x 5

*Superset A*

Barbell Lunges (reps each leg)
Bar x 1 x 6
40 x 1 x 5
60 x 1 x 5
77.5 x 4 x 8

Military Press
Bar x 1 x 8
40 x 1 x 5
55 x 8,8,7,6

*Superset B*

Bulgarian Split Squats (reps each leg)
16 x 4 x 8

Seated Dumbell Shoulder Press
22 x 4 x 8

Lying Leg Curl
20 x 3 x 8

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No pain/strain on the squats = excellent news. Something has clicked with low bar squats. Mellor's post about hand and elbow positioning helped a great deal (thanks Mellor!). I could feel a huge stretch with the low bar as I worked my way down into the correct position. It felt like there was nothing on the bar compared to the high bar position so things are looking good.

Last of the superset workouts. I'll keep the squat weights light for the next week or so and begin to work deadlifts, etc back into my program. After that, I'll work my way up to where I was before. Expect another dose of the Texas Method soon enough if all goes to plan. Pretty excited to get back to my way of training.
Thanks From:
Old 13-01-11, 23:01   #87
Jackyback
Ironman

Good to see the injury is sorted had a feeling it was not a back problem
Jackyback is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 17-01-11, 23:06   #88
Lurker23

17th January 2011
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Warm-up: Usual

High Bar Squat
Bar x 5
60 x 5
80 x 4
100 x 3
120 x 5

Low Bar Technique Work
Racking and Re-racking the bar x 30 mins

Low Bar Squat
60 x loads
80 x loads
100 x 5

Barbell Bench Press
Bar x 5
60 x 5
80 x 3
90 x 5,5,5

Deadlift
Bar x 5
70 x 5
90 x 3
110 x 3
130 x 3
150 x 2

Took me ages to find the sweet spot for low bar. I wasn't detered though and spent ages racking and reracking until it was embedded into my mind. Still needs more work but the poundages definitely felt lighter with low bar.

Bench felt surprisingly heavy.

My piriformis/glute area started to tighten whilst doing deadlifts. The minute I challenge myself even slightly with the 150 I felt some pain so I'll foam roll and stretch it later on

150 also felt heavier than it should. It's gonna be a long road back.
Old 17-01-11, 23:42   #89
Mellor

Quote:
I've got a squat and dead total in mind but I'll keep it to myself for now.

2011 Goal One
Bench Press - 140
Now that your fixed, care to share your total

35 Betfair bonus
Mellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-11, 02:13   #90
Lurker23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellor View Post
Now that your fixed, care to share your total
Ok but it really depends if I can sort out the general glute area. Although the way I felt today the deadlift one seems like a pipe dream.

Big 3 Goals 2011
Bench - 140
Squat - 220
Deadlift - 240

30/30/30 increase on PBs to a 600kg total. I had planned on slightly bigger totals for the squat and deadlift but it may take a month or two to sort myself out fully. I'll probably need to run something like Smolov in order to reach my bench total.

I also need to work on the low bar squat and deadlift technique. I sit too low at the start of the deadlift and my ass rises to the proper position so I'm wasting energy at the start. I need to take some vids whilst I try to modify it so I can understand what's going on. Same with the low bar squats.

I'd be more confident about the squat total than the other ones. If I can make it to 600kg any which way I'll be a happy bunny.
Old 18-01-11, 02:28   #91
Mellor

Do you have any vids of overhead press singles, something i'm considering testing soon.

As for totals, I'd say 420-450kg is my goal atm

35 Betfair bonus
Old 18-01-11, 03:02   #92
Lurker23

Quote:
Do you have any vids of overhead press singles, something i'm considering testing soon.
Nope. I've never considered taping them. I probably should. Actually, I haven't tried it that many times. You worried about hyperextending? I'd always have a belt on for the 1 reppers.

Somehow missed your 2011 goals post. I'll race you to overhead BW press I'm fat 92-93kg atm.

Quote:
As for totals, I'd say 420-450kg is my goal atm
I'd say you'll hit the higher end if all goes well.
Old 18-01-11, 04:55   #93
Mellor

Quote:
Nope. I've never considered taping them. I probably should. Actually, I haven't tried it that many times. You worried about hyperextending? I'd always have a belt on for the 1 reppers.
not really hyperextending, I think that's more an issue on work sets and fatigue sets in.

It's more for form, currently for my 5 rep sets at max weight, my first rep tends to be a slight push press. Basically because the bar is sitting very low after unracking and once its overhead the reps are easier (there is a name for this "something reflex").
It's not a huge push press, small bit of leg drive to get the bar moving, but shoulders aren't isolated.

I don't use a belt for any lifts, I could prob add a few Kg to squat and dead with one

Quote:
Somehow missed your 2011 goals post. I'll race you to overhead BW press I'm fat 92-93kg atm.
Yeah sure, why not.
What's your current max single. I'll test mine today.

35 Betfair bonus
Old 18-01-11, 15:04   #94
Lurker23

Quote:
not really hyperextending, I think that's more an issue on work sets and fatigue sets in.

It's more for form, currently for my 5 rep sets at max weight, my first rep tends to be a slight push press. Basically because the bar is sitting very low after unracking and once its overhead the reps are easier (there is a name for this "something reflex").
It's not a huge push press, small bit of leg drive to get the bar moving, but shoulders aren't isolated.
Yep. First rep is always more difficult since the bar needs to be moved from a dead stop at it's lowest point. Can't remember the name for that reflex either. I don't really have much experience of OH press max attempts so not much I can say. My gut says don't worry about it if it's not a strict press as it's hard enough to keep 100% form on a true max lift anyhow.

Quote:
I don't use a belt for any lifts, I could prob add a few Kg to squat and dead with one
I started using one only when I felt the need for it. Think it was around 150kg squat reps and 170kg+ on dl. Yeah you'd get at least 10+kg once you got used to it.

Quote:
Yeah sure, why not.
What's your current max single. I'll test mine today.
75 x 2 on 20th Sept with belt and wrist wraps. That's as current as I've got. I've no doubt regressed since then so I'd go with 75 x 1. If I can get this to bodyweight it should help my bench too. I suppose I should have a handicap weight added since I'm using belt and ww. Only seems fair. So bodyweight + 5% of current max = 96-97kg. I may hit that sometime in 2013 so take your time!
Old 20-01-11, 21:00   #95
Lurker23

Thursday 20th January

Front Squat
Bar x 5
40 x 5
60 x 5
80 x 5
*wrist wraps on*
100 x 5
120 x 3 x 3

Military Press
Bar x 5
40 x 5
50 x 5
60 x 3 x 3

Sumo Deadlift
70 x 5
90 x 5
110 x 3
130 x 3
150 x 2

Warm-down: little less than usual

Cool to have a nice weight on my delts again with the front squats. The reps felt nice and snappy too. Didn't want to push any harder.

Small bit of pressing to keep it ticking over.

First time trying sumos. Felt much more natural for me. Probably because of my body type - short arms and legs. Harder to grip though. No pain so I'll be sticking with sumos for a few weeks. I may even make the change permanent if all goes well.
Old 24-01-11, 21:44   #96
Lurker23

Monday 24th January

High Bar Squat
Bar x 5
60 x 5
80 x 5

Low Bar Technique Work
Racking and Re-racking the bar x 10 mins

Low Bar Squat
60 x 5
80 x 5
*wrist wraps on*
100 x 3
120 x 3
140 x 1

High Bar Squat
100 x 10

Military Press
Bar x 5
40 x 4
50 x 2
60 x 5,5,5

Bulgarian Split Squats (reps each leg)
16kg each hand x 8,8,8

Dips
BW + 15kg x 5,5,5

Chins
BW x 5
BW + 5kg x 5,5

Back Extension Machine
BW x 12,12,12

Warm down: Usual
----------------------------------------------------------------

Just testing the water again. Shoulders felt tired and a bit sore with the 140 so didn't do any more reps. The weight itself was really light. It'll just take some time to get rid of the pain. Wanted a bit more volume so just did an easy 100 x 10. I like the stretch/loading with the split squats so kept them in.

Military Press was nice and easy as were the dips. Again, I was just testing my chin strength tonight. Last rep was tough.
Old 27-01-11, 20:04   #97
Lurker23

Physio

Went well. ROM has improved in the general area and got another bit of release done in the area. I need to focus more on the gute medius. Have a few new stretches to do.

She said the area is a weakness due to my toes pointed out squatting stance. Thus, in addition to my normal squats, I've to do wall squats with toes pointed forward in order to hit the adductors at home or after a workout. Also, I've got to do some single leg squats focusing on keeping the knee tracking straight as I descend.

Then, she did a general full body check.

Bad points:
1. Pecs are "almost too big" compared to my shoulders.
2. Shoulder blades aren't working in full rom so need to focus on keeping my chest up - got some exercises for this area too.
3. Back is strong but not as strong as my chest - especially upper back above shoulder blades.

Good points:
1. Shoulders are level.
2. Feet point at the same angle when relaxed.

She said the bad points aren't anything major but I should obv correct them now before they cause trouble down the line.

Funniest part is I found out either broke, fractured or twisted my clavicle about 6-7 months ago. I'm not sure whether I logged it at the time but I basically went to do a powerclean but didn't get my elbows up in time to rack it correctly and it hit me straight on the clavicle. I think it was 70kg. There's a pretty big lump compared to the other side ever since. No pain though and I just carried on training. She said it's set now so just better off leaving it. It's getting in the way a bit on front squats but I'll manage.

Also got some other self-diagnosed injuries from american football confirmed lol. That's the end of my physio experience for the time being anyhow!
Old 27-01-11, 20:19   #98
Lurker23

Thursday 27th January

Warm up: Usual

Front Squat
Bar x 5
40 x 5
60 x 4
80 x 3
*wrist wraps and chalk on*
100 x 2
115 x 1
125 x 3,3,3

Bench Press
Bar x 5,5
40 x 5
60 x 4
80 x 2
*wrist wraps on*
95 x 3,3,3 *all paused for 1 sec on chest*

Bent Over Barbell Row
60 x 5,5,5

Trap Bar Shrugs
TB + 40 x 10
TB + 80 x 10
TB + 120 x 10,10

Face Pulls
23.75 x 12,12,12

Rotator Cuff (Dumbell)
5 x 8,8,8

Lying Leg Curl
15 each side x 7,6,6(R) + 4(L)

Rack Pulls (Pin 6 - just below knee)
60 x 5
100 x 5
140 x 5
180 x 3
150 x 7

Hip Adduction Machine
115 x 12,12,12

Hip Abduction Machine
115 x 12,12,12

Single Leg Glute Machine
85 x 8,8,8

Warm down: usual

Good day. Front squats were light. Bench was ridic easy. Felt like I could've paused for 6 reps x 3 sets. Just wish it could feel like that all the time!

First time doing rack pulls. The weight was a bit crap but still don't want to push my back/hip to the max just yet.

All the other stuff was just assistance and working on my weak areas. I'll start doing abs at home on my non-workout days.
Old 31-01-11, 23:15   #99
Lurker23

Monday 31st January

High Bar & Low Bar Squat
Bar x 5
60 x 5
80 x 5
*wrist wraps on*
100 x 3

Low Bar Squat
120 x 5
140 x 1
150 x 1
100 x 5

Bench Press
Bar x 5
40 x 5
60 x 3
80 x 2
95 x 5,5,5,5,5

Sumo Deadlifts
Bar x 5
70 x 5
90 x 4
110 x 3
130 x 2
150 x 5

Back Extension Machine
BW x 12,12,12

Some physio exercises

Hip Adduction Machine
117.5 x 12,12,12

Hip Abduction Machine
117.5 x 12,12,12

5 mins of core work

Warm down: Usual
----------------------------------------------------------------

Felt my piriformis tighten on the 5th rep of 120kg squats and 5th rep of 150kg sumo deadlifts. Some pain radiating up to my back. I can't do volume at all atm. The one reppers were fine pain wise and felt extremely easy. Bench was very solid.

Hip area is extremely tight right now. I'll just have to learn to manage it for the moment. Slow and gradual progress ftw.
Old 01-02-11, 15:01   #100
Jackyback
Ironman

Good to see you hammering back into the training Lurker.
Jackyback is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:

Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Personal Logs