Irish Poker Boards
GG Poker May 17
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Personal Logs

Old 09-09-10, 04:35   #21
Mellor

Lsts nights weights session was good, was wrecked afterwards though.

Legs 'n' Shoulder

Squats
60kg x 16
80kg x 12
90kg x 8
100kg x 5 *PB*

Military Press

42.5kg x 8, 3 sets
completed all 3 sets, gonna keep this weight until I am a cleaner on form

Deadlift
80kg x 8
90kg x 8
100kg x 8
120kg x 4 (first time lifting 120kg)

Upright Row
25kg x 12, 3 sets (able for 27.5-30kg here)

Shoulder Press
17.5kg x 10, 4 sets, (aim for 12x2, 10x2 next time)

Left it here, normally do a few isolation excercises here, but the squat and deadlift PBs had be wrecked here.

35 Betfair bonus
Mellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-10, 06:48   #22
TomD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellor View Post
Lsts nights weights session was good, was wrecked afterwards though.

Legs 'n' Shoulder

Squats
60kg x 16
80kg x 12
90kg x 8
100kg x 5 *PB*

Military Press

42.5kg x 8, 3 sets
completed all 3 sets, gonna keep this weight until I am a cleaner on form

Deadlift
80kg x 8
90kg x 8
100kg x 8
120kg x 4 (first time lifting 120kg)

Upright Row
25kg x 12, 3 sets (able for 27.5-30kg here)

Shoulder Press
17.5kg x 10, 4 sets, (aim for 12x2, 10x2 next time)

Left it here, normally do a few isolation excercises here, but the squat and deadlift PBs had be wrecked here.
Well done on the pb's.

Why oh why are you doing so many reps man on the squat?? You did 36 reps before attempting the 100kg. I do two types of strength session, ME (max effort) where i lift heavy and go for pb's) and DE (dynamic effort) where i rarely go over 80% but do more reps (8s and 10s).

Well done on the DL and stick with strict form military, it really pays off. Where's the pullups and superset btw??
TomD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-10, 07:24   #23
Mellor

I have my military form a lot stricter now. Even as early as a few weeks ago I needed to switch to a push press and use my legs for end of sets 2 and 3, that was with 40kg too.
I should of mentioned of on the squats, I propped my heels up on two thin 5kg plates. I feel I squat deeper, easier. Pretty sure my 100kgs were all cleanly to parallel.

I took out supersets for a few weeks. Pull ups are on chest day, looks like:
Pull-ups to fail
Chin up to fail
A set of negitives pull ups x 2

I trying to keep reps up for to keep energy expenditure up high.
The diet wasn't great at the weekend, lots of beer and JimBean and cokes. Plus was away from home so didn't eat great.
The scales said 83kg on tues, i was pissed off as I had been 80.4 previously. Now obviously, I know i didn't actually put on 2.5kg in a week. I knew at the time that it was mostly due to the fact that I was a bit backed up, plus I drank plenty of water that day. But it still has a psycological effect imo.

I need to be 80kg on sunday to be on target.

Cardio tonight,
Metcon, row, HIIT on bike

35 Betfair bonus
Thanks From:
Old 09-09-10, 21:36   #24
Lurker23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomD View Post
Why oh why are you doing so many reps man on the squat?? You did 36 reps before attempting the 100kg.
Totally agree with this.
Lurker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-10, 00:05   #25
Mellor

I'm gonna stick with high reps for a few more weeks then taper into a volume vs max lift split for the last 3 weeks before the deadline.
Looking at it, I'll prob aim to hit 8 reps of squat and deadlift two weeks before the end then maybe test a 1 rep maxs in each,

Last night was Cardio/Conditioning
I normally have oats n eggs for breakfast, was rushing yesterday and threw the oats into my shake for have later. As usual I had it on the bus home from work/to the gym, but when I hit the gym floor stomach wasn't the best. Grin and bear it.

I changed this session a bit and introduced a weight lifting complex, this is where you series of excercises back to back with no rest in between, basically you use the same weight for each and your hands don't leave the barbell. Obviously you use a weight that is lower than normal for your weight sessions.

Warm up - 5 mins on treadmill, stretch

Complex - Military press, squat, bent-over rows, stiff leg dead lifts, 8 reps each, one after the other no rest, hands don't move from barbell.
I started ith 40kg, then droped it to 30kg, then 20kg. The only rest I took was the 5 seconds or so to take two 5kg dumbells off, so its close to 100 reps with pretty much no rest.
Really gets the heart rate up, next time i might take a short breat and keep it at 40kg for 3.

Metcon (forgot my skipping rope)
1 min kettlebell swings, into
1 min 4kg wall balls,
2min rest
(repeat x3)

Bike
15 mins steady cycle,

Rower
3x 500m with 2 mins rest
Working on maintain my pace now, trying to drop it uniformly for each every week.
Times were;
1:57.8
1:57.6
1:57.0

Felt good afterwards. But the early was annoying. Won't have oats near training in future.

Have to do a medical next week in work as I'll be working on Sydney's historic railway buildings, basically to prove i'm of sound body and mind to be near a track. Wonder if it will include body comp, i'll post results here if it does.

35 Betfair bonus
Old 10-09-10, 08:44   #26
Jackyback
Ironman

Quote:
I'm gonna stick with high reps for a few more weeks then taper into a volume vs max lift split for the last 3 weeks before the deadline.
Looking at it, I'll prob aim to hit 8 reps of squat and deadlift two weeks before the end then maybe test a 1 rep maxs in each,

Last night was Cardio/Conditioning
I normally have oats n eggs for breakfast, was rushing yesterday and threw the oats into my shake for have later. As usual I had it on the bus home from work/to the gym, but when I hit the gym floor stomach wasn't the best. Grin and bear it.

I changed this session a bit and introduced a weight lifting complex, this is where you series of excercises back to back with no rest in between, basically you use the same weight for each and your hands don't leave the barbell. Obviously you use a weight that is lower than normal for your weight sessions.

Warm up - 5 mins on treadmill, stretch

Complex - Military press, squat, bent-over rows, stiff leg dead lifts, 8 reps each, one after the other no rest, hands don't move from barbell.
I started ith 40kg, then droped it to 30kg, then 20kg. The only rest I took was the 5 seconds or so to take two 5kg dumbells off, so its close to 100 reps with pretty much no rest.
Really gets the heart rate up, next time i might take a short breat and keep it at 40kg for 3.

Metcon (forgot my skipping rope)
1 min kettlebell swings, into
1 min 4kg wall balls,
2min rest
(repeat x3)

Bike
15 mins steady cycle,

Rower
3x 500m with 2 mins rest
Working on maintain my pace now, trying to drop it uniformly for each every week.
Times were;
1:57.8
1:57.6
1:57.0

Felt good afterwards. But the early was annoying. Won't have oats near training in future.

Have to do a medical next week in work as I'll be working on Sydney's historic railway buildings, basically to prove i'm of sound body and mind to be near a track. Wonder if it will include body comp, i'll post results here if it does.
I like the pain of the highlighted bit, might give it a try.
Jackyback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-10, 09:57   #27
TomD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyback View Post
I like the pain of the highlighted bit, might give it a try.
me too, it kinda simulates hipoxia in the later reps.
TomD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-10, 01:10   #28
Mellor

Friday Session - Chest and Back

This session went well. Went to a new gym, moved house and the another branch of my gym is now closer. I like this one better, more free weights and barbells. Only one squat rack though. so might still go to the old one on leg day.
Started with bench as usual, worked up to 70kg, was hoping to get 6 reps (1 up on tuesday) but when I got to 6 I still had more left so I tried one more, and then another. Was not expecting to get 8 reps, was sittign there with a cheesy smile for a mn or two. Didn't have a spotter and the last was a push.

Naturally, I did the logical thing, I went for 80kg. Grabbed a spotter.
Often you see people on the bench with a spotter helping for every rep, which is ridic imo. for me the spotter is there to lift the bar when I fail, not help me. (there exceptions but you know what I mean).
the first rep was fine, the second a little slower and the guy spotting me was touching the bar, lifted a little. I'm not sure if the third was all me or not. I wasn't all out for any rep and I think I could of managed all 3 myself, was a bit annoyed that he was touching the bar, sort of diminishes the fact that I just benched my bodyweight. As I think i'm good for 80x3, i'm going to up that part of the challange to a full 8 reps.

The rest went well, incline bench was strong, as were flys. rows were good too.

Bench press
40kg x 8
60kg x 8
70kg x 8 *PB*
80kg x 3 *PB* (assisted)
60kg x 12

Incline dumbell bench
25kg x 8 x 4

Decline dumbell bench
25kg x 8 x 3

Chin ups, hammer grip (if that makes sense), two sets to failure,
7 reps, 5 reps,

Inverted rows, feet elevated
8 reps x 4

Bent over rows
55kg x 12
50kg x 12 x 4

DB Chest Flys
16kg x 12 x 3 (flat/incline/higher incline)

Lat pull down machine
12 reps, 4 sets

Shrugs
32.5kg x 12 x 3

Going to the old gym tonight, squat day. Volume session. Too hung over to try big lifts. Prob cut it short as I've a poker game at 7.30

35 Betfair bonus
Old 13-09-10, 10:56   #29
Lurker23

Quote:
Only one squat rack though.

Quote:
I think I could of managed all 3 myself, was a bit annoyed that he was touching the bar, sort of diminishes the fact that I just benched my bodyweight.
I hate it when they do that. I always say, whatever you do, do NOT touch the bar unless I say so. Yet half the time they do. So infuriating. Don't worry about the fact he touched the bar. You know you were good for the 3 reps all by yourself - that's all that matters. Congrats on the benchmark PB.
Old 13-09-10, 11:40   #30
Mellor

Thanks, I really didn't I'd get here this early on bench, hopefully I'll hit 8 reps by the end
Old 14-09-10, 05:05   #31
Mellor

Didn't make the gym last night, was running late after work. I'll get it in tonight.
Plan is to switch squats and deadlifts, jsut so I am fresh for the DLs, normally i've already done few sets of squats and military press* befroe I get to DL.
I'm gonna attempt a 120kg for reps.
Session will look something like;

Legs 'n' Shoulder

Deadlift
60kg x 8
80kg x 8
100kg x 8
120kg x 4+

Military Press *
42.5kg x 8, 4 sets

Squats
60kg x 8
80kg x 8 x 2
90kg x 8 x 2

Upright Row
30kg x 12, x4

Shoulder Press
17.5kg x 12, x2
17.5kg x 10, x2 (aim for 12 here)

Calf Raises
12 reps, 4 sets

Shoulder Raises
Front - 15kg x 12
Lateral - 7.5kg x 12
(repeat)

35 Betfair bonus
Old 14-09-10, 15:09   #32
Mellor

Gym was packed tonight, was a bit annoying but once I hot in to the squat rack, lashed out the 3 main ones

Deadlift
60kg x 8
80kg x 8
100kg x 8
120kg x 5 *PB*

the bar I used for these was a little on the smooth side
so it sort of slipped a little on 120kg, but 5 reps is a new best. Will try a rougher bar next week

Military Press
42.5kg x 8, 4 sets
First time finishing set 4 at 42.5kg, so 45kg introduced soon

Squats
60kg x 8
80kg x 8
90kg x 8

was going to do 4 or 5 sets here, but was wrecked.
Wasn't so much my legs but my back/body. Deadlifts had me too wrecked to keep my body upright under the bar

Upright Row forgot about these

Shoulder Press
17kg x 12, x4
Got out 4 sets for 12 reps, was 17 not 17.5 though, new gym has 1kg increments not 2.5

Calf Raises and Shoulder Raises to finish as above

Also, today I signed up for a run at the weekend (as suggestef). It's this Sunday, so I've got less than 5 days notice.
It's only 9k, across the Sydney Harbour Bridge, but I've never ran past 5k before. Bordom gets to me.
Cardio tomorrow, prob do a 7k prep run hopefully I'll focus long enough to finish 7k in 40 mins. Would like to do 9k in 45-50 mins

EDIT: Weighed myself too, tipped the scales ae 80.5kg, a little behind target but not bad considering I took a trip up to 83 at one stage. 79 by friday week I hope.

Last edited by Mellor; 14-09-10 at 23:32.
Old 15-09-10, 14:07   #33
Mellor

Took it handy enough tonight,

Cardio
7k run in 37:34
Some light work

Had more in me for the run but happy enough with 5.30 a k for my first run over 5k.
Hoping to go sub 45mins on sunday.

Last edited by Mellor; 16-09-10 at 07:00.
Old 16-09-10, 23:46   #34
Mellor

Thurs 16th
Chest n Back

Bench Press
Barbell x 8
40kg x 8 (I knew instantly here that I wasn't 100% today, equalling last week would be tough)
60kg x 8
70kg x 8 (losked it out, but took everything)
*got a spotter*
8xkg x 2, failed on 3

My spotter was an irish lad, told him not to touch the bar and he wasn't near it until i called him, So all me for 2 reps, my form is less than perfect on my max lifts, I concentrate too much on giving it everything and forget some of the minor stuff. Need to correct that. I'll have to add a rep a week to hit 8, but this was second target, original will be next week imo

Neutral Grip Chin ups
8 reps x 2
6 reps (should get 8x3 soon)

Dumbell incline press
22.5kg 4 x 8 (was no 25 or 27kg free, find 22.5 easy now)

Dumbell flys
18kg x 12 x 4

Bent over rows
60kg x 12 x 2
50kg x 12 x 2

Lat Pull down machine
3 sets, 50-60kg, varying grip width

V-Bar Dips
8 reps x 2
7 reps (almost got 8x3)

Shrugs
27.5kg x 12 x 4

I'm gonna go light tonight, no dead lifts, take a shot at 100kg squat for one set, no other legs, just all my shoulder stuff.
Current shoulder excercises are;
Overhead press, dumbel press, upright row (narrow), front raise, lateral raise

Anybody got any suggestions for other shoulder work?

Progress - 6 weeks to go

Weight - 80kg

Run 4k in 19:00
Row 3k in 12:58

Deadlift - 120kg for 5 reps
Squat - 100kg for 5 reps
Bench press - 80kg for 2 reps

35 Betfair bonus
Old 17-09-10, 00:12   #35
Lurker23

Quote:
My form is less than perfect on my max lifts
Could be the fact that your focusing on lots of high rep work beforehand. Also, unless there's some major form issues, I wouldn't worry too much about being perfect for max lifts. If it's a true max there's gonna be some kind of natural compromise by the body between form v weight.

Quote:
Anybody got any suggestions for other shoulder work?
I really like this article that I've read about shoulders recently.

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/shoulder_health.htm

I think I need to incorporate inverted rows and cable Ls into my routine somehow. Also, I despise upright rows tbh. Through personal experience and research I think they're an injury waiting to happen.
Thanks From:
Old 17-09-10, 00:36   #36
Mellor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker23 View Post
Could be the fact that your focusing on lots of high rep work beforehand. Also, unless there's some major form issues, I wouldn't worry too much about being perfect for max lifts. If it's a true max there's gonna be some kind of natural compromise by the body between form v weight.
i knew I'd have sort of issues with that. Goes with the fact that goals are in cardio, weight lifting and weight loss.

Cardio would be easier if I wasn't doing weights 66% of the time,
Weights would be easier if I was on a deficit to loss weight, or doing higher rep for weight loss
Weight loss is going pretty much on track, but i'm not too concerned about the number on the scales, over the last few months, my weight has been pretty static, but my body fat is down and muscle mass up. I know you can't do two at the same time, but put it down to nob gains and the fact that prob in very short cut/bulk cycled most of the time rather than constant deficit.

Quote:
I really like this article that I've read about shoulders recently.

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/shoulder_health.htm

I think I need to incorporate inverted rows and cable Ls into my routine somehow. Also, I despise upright rows tbh. Through personal experience and research I think they're an injury waiting to happen.
I love inverted rows, the problem is its very hary to find somewhere to do them when busy. Only optiions I have are squat rack or smith machine. Plus there are fixed BBs to 650kg now, so I don't even use the rack for BB BORs afterwards.

I like upright rows, but I don't go very high weight on them. I getnerally go hard on mil.press DB press befroe hand then do 12 reps on rows and raises

35 Betfair bonus
Old 20-09-10, 02:29   #37
Mellor

Sydney Harbour Bridge Run
Ran the 9km bridge run yesterday. Was a great experience, being my first "event".
I've never really ran much on the road. A 5km run a few months ago was about it. So all my prep was in the gym, on the treadmill as above.
I was pretty comfiortable running for 5km at 12km/h (5 min pace) and on weds I did a 7km run at 5.5 pace, with this in mind I had my sights set on a 45min race time. The usual banter started with the house mates, "it's much easier on a treadmill", "the road will be hills" etc, negociations began for an over/under prop bet. I wanted 50mins, house mate wanted 45. I was going to take the middle 47.5, but the comment about hills made me bottle it. The night before, he gave in and agreed on 50mins.

On race day, I was in group A, front runners. I slept in a little and forgot an ipod and a watch. I could live without the ipod, but was concerned about not have a timer for pace. Oh well. There were 15,846 runners so the start area was a little hectic. A number of the B group were in front of me, as well as a lot of people who clearly weren't going to be able to run at a reasonable pace. Don't get me wrong, everyone is welcome to run at what ever pace suits them, I'm hardly top class, but people shouldn't be in front if they can't keep up. The first km was spent weaving around various runners until we got to the crest of the bridge.
It's the only day of the year when you can cross the bridge on foot and it was quite an experience. People have asked me about the view, but tbh I didn't really look at much else except the road ahead.
The km markers ticked by and I was a little concerned that I was behind pace. I was still generally passing others and at the half way point I was feeling pretty good. The section from 5-7km was the toughest, a hilly path through the bothanical gardens, one in paticular was painfully steep for about 100m, it took a lot to keep moving here. A big flat straight followed and I knew I was heading towards the finish. Although due to my novice mistake, I was actually 100% sure of the route and where the finish was exactly. I was waiting for a 8km marker to get ready to pick up the last km. It never appeared, as I got over the last hill I seen a crowd and the stand at the finish. A few hundred metres away, I picked up the pace and past out anyone who was immediately ahead of me and aimed to catch the group ahead. I crossed the line and as soon as I stopped started seeing stars. I could barely open the free bottle of water I was given.

I still didn't know my time. I didn't know when I started either so asking the current time was useless too. I reckoned my time was between 45-55. Probably pretty clsoe to the bet. I'd have to wait for the timing chips to be collected and the results to be posted online. My bag wasn't over yet so I took a stroll around the recovery village, some fruit, a cup of cereal and free blood pressure testing. Sure why not. It was something like 106/61, which is very good apparently especially after the run.

I finally got my bag and headed home. I'd have to wait to check results online. Just as I jumped on the bus I got a text;
Congradulations, you completed the bridge run in 39:49
Shocked and delighted all at once. A bit of mental maths and I figured I was sub 4.30/km pace. Which means, my goal off 18mins for 4km has been hit (must of been at some point). I knew I'd make it, just didn't think it'd be part of a 9k run.

Got my placing this morning online.

It was a great experience and like most who try out these runs, I've already decided to do a half-marathon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bridge Run.JPG (61.8 KB, 667 views)

35 Betfair bonus
5 Thanks From:
Old 20-09-10, 08:07   #38
Jackyback
Ironman

Great time Mellor. Careful with the half marathon, next thing you know you will be running full marathons
Jackyback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-10, 01:23   #39
Mellor

Lol yeah I know.
I've always planed to do a marathon, then very so often I think cop on, you not actually going to do one, its a dream like the north pole.
But I think I might, half definitely. Just need to rake up another entry level ones, 10k/15k/half I think

35 Betfair bonus
Old 22-09-10, 00:35   #40
Mellor

Chest and Back

Bech press
20kg x 5
60kg x 8
70kg x 8
75kg x 5 (failed on 5th)
70kg x 7
60kg x 8

Neutral Grip Chins
8 x 3 (only 6 on last set)

Incline Bench
40kg x 8
50lg x 8 x 3

Inverted rows
8 x 3

Decline Bench
50kg x 8
70kg x 5 *PB*
60kg x 8
(was using a cheaper oly bar, wasn't 20 kg, hence I had to play around with the weights to get it right, was told after it was 10kg)

Bent Over Rows
50kg x 12 x 4

Chest Dips
8 x 3

Lat pull down
12 x 4

Squat volume session tonight, aiming for 8 x 8, leaving out DLs, maybe some lunges at end

35 Betfair bonus

Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Personal Logs