Irish Poker Boards
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Poker > Poker Theory, Strategy and Rulings > Hold 'Em
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-17, 01:14   #21
Hectorjelly
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,278
Day 6 - Starting roll 380

Finally some run good. Played 20 mtts, won a 6max turbo and cashed in 3 other events. BR up to 690. Busted the $100 ticket.

The standard at the FT of the 6 max was ridiculous. Here is an example hand:

https://www.weaktight.com/h/5872f1aad39043a0538b4815

Looking back at it now river is a clear shove.
Hectorjelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 09-01-17, 11:58   #22
Gholimoli
Irish Terrorist
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectorjelly View Post
Day 5

12 Mtts. Blanked a $100 mtt, but 2 small cashes and a fourth place puts the roll up to 380. Exactly where I started from

Still have one more $100 ticket to fire.

This is why I came 4th. (Warning, bad beat)

https://www.weaktight.com/h/5871b72ad39043302a8b469f


https://www.weaktight.com/h/5871bbd8d39043e5158b45d5



Though this was an interesting spot. I snapped since I had the Jh, might fold without it.
And another interesting river decision. Ill leave out the results and see what other people think.

https://www.weaktight.com/h/5871bdb6d39043e5158b463f
second last hand:
i don't like the 3bet pre and i dont like the flop check as im leading 100% of my range on that flop.
as played ur gonna have to call even with out the Jh...your hand is face up here when u check/call flop .your hand looks like a hand that wants to get to show down cheap ,JJ or maybe Ak with Ah or Kh and your line is very inducing so ur gonna have to make light calls there often.


last hand:i prefer a small flop cr here .
u can do it with ur 9To,KQo ,QT for balance .
i think ppl cbet paird boards way to often and cbet it too big as well so i think constructing a good c/r range there is very profitable.

Last edited by Gholimoli; 09-01-17 at 12:01.
Gholimoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 09-01-17, 15:36   #23
Hectorjelly
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gholimoli View Post
second last hand:
i don't like the 3bet pre and i dont like the flop check as im leading 100% of my range on that flop.
as played ur gonna have to call even with out the Jh...your hand is face up here when u check/call flop .your hand looks like a hand that wants to get to show down cheap ,JJ or maybe Ak with Ah or Kh and your line is very inducing so ur gonna have to make light calls there often.
I think its a good hand to 3bet, its almost good enough to call. On the flop a 100% cbet range is bad and really exploitable, I don't want to bet hands there with no equity so I need some hands to put in a check call range that have showdown value, JJ or JT here are basically the same and both play much better as check calls.
Hectorjelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-17, 15:37   #24
Hectorjelly
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gholimoli View Post

last hand:i prefer a small flop cr here .
u can do it with ur 9To,KQo ,QT for balance .
i think ppl cbet paird boards way to often and cbet it too big as well so i think constructing a good c/r range there is very profitable.
I would sometimes check raise the flop, but similarly to the last hand I don't want all my calls on paired boards to always be medium strength hands, so I need to have some trips in that range.
Hectorjelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-17, 17:45   #25
Gholimoli
Irish Terrorist
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectorjelly View Post
I think its a good hand to 3bet, its almost good enough to call. On the flop a 100% cbet range is bad and really exploitable, I don't want to bet hands there with no equity so I need some hands to put in a check call range that have showdown value, JJ or JT here are basically the same and both play much better as check calls.
you don't have that many hands with no equity on that flop .
All your 99+ have equity ,all ur Broadway's have equity .
You have some 99,88,77 and some 65,89 type hand without s flush draw maybe that has no equity !

And then why not bet with those 89,77 type hands that have no equity on flop that connects with most of your range ?
If my pre flop 3betting range is very Broadway heavy ,how is me leading close to 100% of my range on that flop exploitable ?
Gholimoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 09-01-17, 18:05   #26
Gholimoli
Irish Terrorist
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectorjelly View Post
I would sometimes check raise the flop, but similarly to the last hand I don't want all my calls on paired boards to always be medium strength hands, so I need to have some trips in that range.
U don't need much of calling range on these boards at all .
Amost everything in your calling range plays better as a cr.
Your calling range on that flops is mostly hands with one over to the J on board .

All those do better with cr than with cc .
U get him to fold better hands some times and some times u bink ur over card .

Ur trips certainly do much better with cr than cc.
Gholimoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-17, 20:14   #27
Hectorjelly
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gholimoli View Post
you don't have that many hands with no equity on that flop .
All your 99+ have equity ,all ur Broadway's have equity .
You have some 99,88,77 and some 65,89 type hand without s flush draw maybe that has no equity !

And then why not bet with those 89,77 type hands that have no equity on flop that connects with most of your range ?
If my pre flop 3betting range is very Broadway heavy ,how is me leading close to 100% of my range on that flop exploitable ?
I have quite a lot of hands with no equity on the flop, low suited connectors, suited aces etc. This is a pretty good flop for both of our ranges, so I don't want to put any more chips into the pot with these holdings, if I have a check fold range I need a check call range. Also IMO betting a hand like JJ here is pretty bad, it works much better as a check call (what do I do if I get raised? He is going to raise a lot of draws).

Betting 89s here is much better than betting with my hand, as you have no showdown value and you have a double gutter. Betting sevens doesn't make much sense either. The problem with betting hands like 77 here is the villain is going to call a lot and you have 2 outs. I'd mostly check fold 77. On this board I expect villain to continue quite a high % of the time.

Leading 100% of your range here is exploitable as your range will be very weak and villain can raise or call with impunity, you don't have that many strong hands. Depending on exactly what range you are 3betting with this flop hits his calling range just as much as it hits yours, with QQ discounted for him a little. (And in my case 66 is discounted as well since I think its a bad 3bet).

Last edited by Hectorjelly; 09-01-17 at 20:19.
Hectorjelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-17, 20:18   #28
Hectorjelly
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gholimoli View Post
U don't need much of calling range on these boards at all .
Amost everything in your calling range plays better as a cr.
Your calling range on that flops is mostly hands with one over to the J on board .

All those do better with cr than with cc .
U get him to fold better hands some times and some times u bink ur over card .

Ur trips certainly do much better with cr than cc.
I don't understand why you would want to only raise on this board, and if you do raise every time you have a medium strength hand your raise % is going to be way too high. I'd call here with underpairs, raising them is just burning chips.
Hectorjelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-17, 03:01   #29
Hectorjelly
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,278
A good example would be a A99 rainbow board. You aren't going to want to raise A4o here.

Day 7 Starting BR 690

Solid day, Played 15 mtts, final tabled three and mincashed two others. On all three FTs I had tiny stacks and doked my way up into a position I didn't deserve.

Finishing BR 850 + 2 $20 satellite tickets
Hectorjelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-17, 08:48   #30
robin
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gholimoli View Post
second last hand:
i don't like the 3bet pre and i dont like the flop check as im leading 100% of my range on that flop.
I think you've got this the wrong way round on the flop - QT6s OOP 150 deep as 3bettor is the best example I could think of of a board we should be checking 100%. Villain has, on average, more set combos than us, more two pair and more top pair, and we have poor visibility on lots of runouts with two cards to come.

(this is assuming a normal 3betting range - JT should not be a 3bet in this spot because villain will continue with all 160 (159 now) broadway combos, all of which we're behind and many of which are dominating us)

As played I would be check/calling flop and turn and folding river - the Jh blocker is actually bad for us, since we block KJ/AJ/J9. Blocking a flush is nice but he still has a fuckload of flush combos which don't need the Jh, whereas taking a J out of his natural bluffing combos is pretty bad for us.
robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 10-01-17, 11:03   #31
Gholimoli
Irish Terrorist
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectorjelly View Post
I have quite a lot of hands with no equity on the flop, low suited connectors, suited aces etc. This is a pretty good flop for both of our ranges, so I don't want to put any more chips into the pot with these holdings, if I have a check fold range I need a check call range. Also IMO betting a hand like JJ here is pretty bad, it works much better as a check call (what do I do if I get raised? He is going to raise a lot of draws).

Betting 89s here is much better than betting with my hand, as you have no showdown value and you have a double gutter. Betting sevens doesn't make much sense either. The problem with betting hands like 77 here is the villain is going to call a lot and you have 2 outs. I'd mostly check fold 77. On this board I expect villain to continue quite a high % of the time.

Leading 100% of your range here is exploitable as your range will be very weak and villain can raise or call with impunity, you don't have that many strong hands. Depending on exactly what range you are 3betting with this flop hits his calling range just as much as it hits yours, with QQ discounted for him a little. (And in my case 66 is discounted as well since I think its a bad 3bet).
if you have too many hands with no equity in this spot then you are 3betting too much man.

this would be somewhat a standard 3bet range for me :

range with with little to no equity on this flop:
88 6 combos
99 6 combos
89s 3 combos (the 4th 89s combo has a flush draw so has equity)
T9s 3 combos
78s 3 combos
A2s 3 combos
A3s 3 combos
A4s 3 combos
A5s 3 combos
-------------------
33 keep in mind this is assuming u 3bet 100% of the time with T9s and 89s and 78s and ur Axs , which is not ideal imo but we will go with it here...


rest of the range:

AA 6 combos
KK 6 combos
QQ 3 combos
JJ 6 combos
TT 3 combos
AK 16 combos
AQ 12 combos
AJ 8 combos
KQ 8 combos
KJ 8 combos
QT 3 combos
QJ 3 combos
------------
82

so 115 total combos and 82 have decent to good equity which is about 72% of your range.(closer to 80% in reality if u ever just flat wit suited connectors and Axs) .

leading this flop close to 100% is ok cuz almost 80% is value and only small % has no equity and if he wants to raise me here frequently then i will defo welcome it !

also this flop is much better for your range than it is for his range because you will have to take almost all TT+,AK out of his range .(cuz h 4bets with most of them)

that's nearly 40 combos out from the 82 ,so you can say this flop is almost twice as good for you as it is for him.

your much better not having a check/call range here at all in this spot.

Last edited by Gholimoli; 10-01-17 at 11:07.
Gholimoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-17, 11:28   #32
Gholimoli
Irish Terrorist
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin View Post
I think you've got this the wrong way round on the flop - QT6s OOP 150 deep as 3bettor is the best example I could think of of a board we should be checking 100%. Villain has, on average, more set combos than us, more two pair and more top pair, and we have poor visibility on lots of runouts with two cards to come.

(this is assuming a normal 3betting range - JT should not be a 3bet in this spot because villain will continue with all 160 (159 now) broadway combos, all of which we're behind and many of which are dominating us)

As played I would be check/calling flop and turn and folding river - the Jh blocker is actually bad for us, since we block KJ/AJ/J9. Blocking a flush is nice but he still has a fuckload of flush combos which don't need the Jh, whereas taking a J out of his natural bluffing combos is pretty bad for us.
villain defo don't have more set combos than us as we have all QQ and TT in our range but he don't as he would 4 bet some .he has 3 combos of 66 with maybe 1 or 2 combos of TT and almost no QQ .
even if we give him 1 combo of QQ then we have same number of 3sets.

he does have more TP combos with having all KQ,QJ type hands in his range but we have more over pairs with AA,KK which he don't .

also i don't think he has many two pair combos either as i don't expect him to call 3bets with all his T6 and Q6 and QT opens.
if we say he calls T6s and half his QT then that gives him 2 combos of T6 and maybe 6 combos of QT .
Gholimoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-17, 18:33   #33
robin
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gholimoli View Post
villain defo don't have more set combos than us as we have all QQ and TT in our range but he don't as he would 4 bet some .he has 3 combos of 66 with maybe 1 or 2 combos of TT and almost no QQ .
even if we give him 1 combo of QQ then we have same number of 3sets.

he does have more TP combos with having all KQ,QJ type hands in his range but we have more over pairs with AA,KK which he don't .

also i don't think he has many two pair combos either as i don't expect him to call 3bets with all his T6 and Q6 and QT opens.
if we say he calls T6s and half his QT then that gives him 2 combos of T6 and maybe 6 combos of QT .
My player pool reads could be off but I wouldn't expect people to be 4betting QQ CO vs SB 150 deep, maybe they do though. I would expect 66 and TT to flat the 3bet 100% though.

He may not have many two pair combos but I think we should have 0 and I would expect him to have between 2 and 9 which is enough to make a difference, but the main reason this texture is one we should almost always be checking is because of how dynamic it is - even with AA there are so many nightmare turn and rivers for us that we don't want to bloat the pot, and we want to be checking our draws and sets to protect our strong but vulnerable hands, which will even include sets on a lot of runouts.

In reality I wouldn't be checking this flop 100% and would be looking for exploits but its significantly closer to being a check 100% of the time than a 100% cbet. QT7s is pretty much the textbook 100% check OOP as 3bettor flop even 100 deep, the 6 makes it slightly less dynamic but its still one of the flops we should be betting least often in this spot.
robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-17, 21:06   #34
Hectorjelly
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,278

http://imgur.com/a/SdYdK

This is roughly what I expect his calling range to be, QQ doesn't make much difference as he might 4bet it or not, but then we might expect to just flat call 66 some of the time as well.

You can see it absolutely smashes that flop.
Hectorjelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-17, 22:11   #35
PokerPiper
Member
 
PokerPiper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 578
Nice thread Darragh. Good Luck with the grind!
PokerPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 10-01-17, 23:59   #36
chips1234
Member
Chopper Challenge Champion
 
chips1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: ravaging post flop
Posts: 2,184
have alot to catch up on here, but this thread makes me want to do this again on here, its fun and at least creates discussion. will post on hands when i can darragh BOL
__________________
chips1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-17, 03:28   #37
Hectorjelly
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,278
Day 8 Starting BR 690

Too hungover to play much. Played 5 mtts, chopped an omaha one for $150, also won a $20 ticket.
Finishing BR $810
Hectorjelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-17, 23:28   #38
Hectorjelly
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,278
Day 9

Starting BR $810

Played about 24 mtts, Two final tables including a 5th place for $290 + $50 bounties, BR up to $1085.

5th place was actually pretty soul crushing. Was CL and lost a flip with JJ vs AK, then got it in with AK against shortstack (6BBS) with K2s and lost, then shoved 12 bb with AK and lost to a9.

Had some fun hands along the way. These are both from the final table:

https://www.weaktight.com/h/587c064ad39043cd448b471f

https://www.weaktight.com/h/587c12a3d390430d798b4890


Now I'm over $1k I can mix in a few $20 games.
Hectorjelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-17, 14:22   #39
Hectorjelly
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,278
Day 10 - Starting BR 1085

Soul crushing day. I was on the final table of a big tournament and blew up, made a bad bluff and got called by a ridiculous hand, then instantly stacked off on the rest of the tables. First time I've tilted in years.

Ending BR 1090


One spot I've been misplaying is detailed below, I played it badly the first time and well the second. Call is much better than raise.

https://www.weaktight.com/h/587f87abd3904375178b470d

https://www.weaktight.com/h/587f87ecd390431f438b45c1
Hectorjelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 18-01-17, 21:12   #40
TheBlackRaven
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 9
Do you do anything for your mental game HJ? I've been practicing meditation for a while now and the difference in my poker play when I'm consistent with my practice is like night and day.

Benefits are endless, from emotional control to discipline and also the awareness and general sharpness of mind to notice spots that you might not normally.
TheBlackRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Reply

  Irish Poker Boards > Poker > Poker Theory, Strategy and Rulings > Hold 'Em

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 15:59.