Irish Poker Boards
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Poker > Poker Theory, Strategy and Rulings > Rules and Rulings

Old 11-07-16, 15:35   #21
gerk2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lplate View Post
I don't disagree with you. But you need to talk to the organiser and nail down the exact rules. Nobody here will disagree with you in principle but none of us are the ultimate decision maker.
Not looking for people to agree with me.i am experienced player who watches poker on tv etc and I have played Omaha,hence which may influence my logic.I want honest opinions cos I still am confused as to why I didn't get best hand.

Straight flush example where player has 4d 5d and board was 6d 7d 8d 9d Ks,the same organizer said that this would win best hand.but like my hand,the 4th card on board improves hand.they both either win or both lose.i think both should be able to claim best hand.

Thanks for all input
gerk2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-16, 15:47   #22
RossiesAbu

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerk2015 View Post
Not looking for people to agree with me.i am experienced player who watches poker on tv etc and I have played Omaha,hence which may influence my logic.I want honest opinions cos I still am confused as to why I didn't get best hand.

Straight flush example where player has 4d 5d and board was 6d 7d 8d 9d Ks,the same organizer said that this would win best hand.but like my hand,the 4th card on board improves hand.they both either win or both lose.i think both should be able to claim best hand.

Thanks for all input
4th card doesnt improve his hand if he's using three board cards and his two hole cards. He has a 45678d straight flush.
RossiesAbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 11-07-16, 17:34   #23
Flushdraw
The Gamesmaster

Your best hand is AAAAK. You can't choose to discard the K and use your 10 to make AAAA10, so you are only using 1 card to make the best hand.

To win the pot, your hand is AAAAK, but if there is a bad beat jackpot or anything and you need to use both hole cards, then your hand doesn't qualify because you're only using 1 card.
Flushdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 11-07-16, 18:49   #24
winkey66

Surley AAA A10 is the best hand unless someone hit a straight flush using their 2 whole cards or AAA AJ/Q/K . AAA A10 has to best hand unless someone beat it . What was the money paid out on ?
winkey66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 11-07-16, 18:53   #25
mdoug

So you're telling me that if the board was K Q J 10, that 8 9 would beat A X?

This game is an utter shambles, you 100% should have won best hand and the guy in charge should be fired immediately.
Old 11-07-16, 18:55   #26
dobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkey66 View Post
Surley AAA A10 is the best hand unless someone hit a straight flush using their 2 whole cards or AAA AJ/Q/K . AAA A10 has to best hand unless someone beat it . What was the money paid out on ?
Well, no. Because the hand is AAA A and the K on the board. His 10 doesn't play. You must use two hole cards to claim the "best hand jackpot". He can't just choose to ignore the K ball.
dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Old 11-07-16, 18:56   #27
dobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoug View Post

This game is an utter shambles, you 100% should have won best hand and the guy in charge should be fired immediately.
Try reading the thread first. Lots of vital info missing from the OP. The hand was for a high hand jackpot, not for the pot at the time.
Thanks From:
Old 11-07-16, 19:03   #28
Flushdraw
The Gamesmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoug View Post

If it's a 'best hand' where you have to use both of your cards, then 89dd qualifies, but AdXx doesn't. Can 89dd lose the pot but win best hand? I guess so.

I don't think it's that difficult to understand tbh. He doesn't mean the best hand to win the pot, he means using both of his cards to win the 'best hand' jackpot which he clearly didn't.
2 Thanks From:
Old 11-07-16, 19:11   #29
Dice75
Bringing the Mac

So somebody holding 22 who got to the river wins

2017 LIVE IRISH POKER RANKINGS

Dice75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 11-07-16, 19:16   #30
Flushdraw
The Gamesmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dice75 View Post
So somebody holding 22 who got to the river wins
Needs to be advertised as a 'best winning hand'
Thanks From:
Old 11-07-16, 19:45   #31
winkey66

You have to read the best hand of the night as an Omaha hand ie 2 in ur hand 3 on the board . So his best hand in these terms is A10 AAA an the K an other card is ignored . Try this, 1st hand of tourney , Player1 has A2 Player2 has KK , board is KKAAA , results r P1 wins pot with AAAAK v P2 with KKKKA , best hand of the night P1 with AAAA2 . Which can be beaten later in the tourney.
Thanks From:
Old 11-07-16, 19:53   #32
Flushdraw
The Gamesmaster

Wink

Quote:
You have to read the best hand of the night as an Omaha hand ie 2 in ur hand 3 on the board . So his best hand in these terms is A10 AAA an the K an other card is ignored . Try this, 1st hand of tourney , Player1 has A2 Player2 has KK , board is KKAAA , results r P1 wins pot with AAAAK v P2 with KKKKA , best hand of the night P1 with AAAA2 . Which can be beaten later in the tourney.
That's not right. If you have 33 and the board is KKK99, then that's what you have. You can't declare KKK33!

Last edited by Flushdraw; 11-07-16 at 19:54. Reason: Edit. On phone so no idea where that smiley came from!
Thanks From:
Old 11-07-16, 19:54   #33
5starpool
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flushdraw View Post
If it's a 'best hand' where you have to use both of your cards, then 89dd qualifies, but AdXx doesn't. Can 89dd lose the pot but win best hand? I guess so.

I don't think it's that difficult to understand tbh. He doesn't mean the best hand to win the pot, he means using both of his cards to win the 'best hand' jackpot which he clearly didn't.
89dd wouldn't qualify in this case either as they would only be using the 9d in your hand, discarding the 8d.
Old 11-07-16, 19:55   #34
Flushdraw
The Gamesmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5starpool View Post
89dd wouldn't qualify in this case either as they would only be using the 9d in your hand, discarding the 8d.
Yes sir, you are correct. Oops!
Thanks From:
Old 11-07-16, 20:00   #35
5starpool
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flushdraw View Post
Yes sir, you are correct. Oops!
Of course I am, it's my site!

Old 11-07-16, 20:13   #36
winkey66

If you have to use ur 2 hole cards then only using 9d for 9-K will not qualify for "best hand of the night" but using 89dd will as a straight flush from 8-Q
Thanks From:
Old 11-07-16, 20:39   #37
5starpool
Administrator

Quote:
If you have to use ur 2 hole cards then only using 9d for 9-K will not qualify for "best hand of the night" but using 89dd will as a straight flush from 8-Q
But you can't choose to use 2 hole cards to suit your purposes. The best 5 cards is always the hand, and if 2 of those happen to be your hole cards you have a qualifying hand for the best hand prize, otherwise you don't. It's not pick and choose, the rules of poker still apply to what the actual hand you end up with each time is.
Old 11-07-16, 20:54   #38
winkey66

You need to re-read OP it's about a best hand pool an "YOU MUST USE YOUR 2 HOLE CARDS"
Thanks From:
Old 11-07-16, 21:07   #39
dobby

Quote:
You need to re-read OP it's about a best hand pool an "YOU MUST USE YOUR 2 HOLE CARDS"
Yes. You must use your two hole cards but you can't just ignore the bog standard rules of the game either lol. The lack of common sense here is really astounding.
Thanks From:
Old 11-07-16, 21:35   #40
luckforsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobby View Post
iThe lack of common sense here is really astounding.
...This +100...
luckforsome is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:

Irish Poker Boards > Poker > Poker Theory, Strategy and Rulings > Rules and Rulings