Irish Poker Boards
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Poker > Poker Theory, Strategy and Rulings > Rules and Rulings

Old 11-07-16, 08:18   #1
gerk2015

BEST HAND

Not sure if anyone would do this in their local game.In my local,I was told -

"YOU MUST USE YOUR 2 HOLE CARDS"

My cards are A 10

The board was A A 3 A K

Going by rule,i think that means only 3 cards on board can be used. Obviously I stated that my hand was A A A A with 10 kicker and that 4th card (K) on board doesn't come into play.

I stated an identical example where 4th card on board improves hand. If player has 4d 5d and board is 6d 7d 8d 9d and Ks.Should player not have straight flush to 8 for purposes of best hand.I was told that this would win best hand where mine didn't and that you cant make quads with 1 card in your hand.

Should I have won best hand?
gerk2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-16, 09:19   #2
gerk2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckforsome View Post
...No, you must use the 2 hole cards in your hand and 3 cards from the board...
I am using my 2 hole cards.I am using my 2nd hole card as kicker.

So you're saying you can only get quads when you have pocket pair in your hand.

Also,should it not be like Omaha except you use your 2 cards.
Old 11-07-16, 09:57   #3
luckforsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerk2015 View Post
I am using my 2 hole cards.I am using my 2nd hole card as kicker.

So you're saying you can only get quads when you have pocket pair in your hand.

Also,should it not be like Omaha except you use your 2 cards.
...never mind I'm still asleep, your right..
luckforsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 11-07-16, 10:56   #4
gerk2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckforsome View Post
...never mind I'm still asleep, your right..
If you think I am wrong,dont be afraid to say
Thanks From:
Old 11-07-16, 12:37   #5
dobby

You only have to use 2 hole cards in Omaha not Holdem. You don't have to use either of your cards in holdem if you and up playing the board. What if a royal flush came on the board, do you just ignore that and use your hole cards to make a hand?

And yes you should have won best hand.
dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 11-07-16, 12:40   #6
gerk2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobby View Post
You only have to use 2 hole cards in Omaha not Holdem. You don't have to use either of your cards in holdem if you and up playing the board. What if a royal flush came on the board, do you just ignore that and use your hole cards to make a hand?

And yes you should have won best hand.
For purpose of wining best hand the rule in my local game is that you must use your 2 hole cards.so you may only use 3 cards on board.This was in texas holdem.I meant to say it'd be similar to Omaha but u use both ur hole cards.
Old 11-07-16, 12:57   #7
Lplate

If the rules state that you must use both cards to claim the best hand jackpot, then strictly interpreting them your hand failed because the best hand you can make out of the 7 available is AAAAK, which only uses 1 of your hole cards. Bit harsh though, to be fair.
Lplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 11-07-16, 13:04   #8
gerk2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lplate View Post
If the rules state that you must use both cards to claim the best hand jackpot, then strictly interpreting them your hand failed because the best hand you can make out of the 7 available is AAAAK, which only uses 1 of your hole cards. Bit harsh though, to be fair.
So,if player has 4d 5d and board is 6d 7d 8d 9d and Ks then even though they have straight flush with both your hole cards they have not got best hand.I think they 4th and 5th cards shouldn't come into play though they may make better hands than 1 u have when you must use both your hole cards.
Old 11-07-16, 13:07   #9
gerk2015

If 4th card was 10 or lower,would I get best hand?when you must use both your hole cards then that means you can only use 3 cards on the board.
Old 11-07-16, 13:45   #10
Strewelpeter

Wat the

Where is this game?
Old 11-07-16, 13:49   #11
RossiesAbu

Quote:
Not sure if anyone would do this in their local game.In my local,I was told -

"YOU MUST USE YOUR 2 HOLE CARDS"

My cards are A 10

The board was A A 3 A K

Going by rule,i think that means only 3 cards on board can be used. Obviously I stated that my hand was A A A A with 10 kicker and that 4th card (K) on board doesn't come into play.

I stated an identical example where 4th card on board improves hand. If player has 4d 5d and board is 6d 7d 8d 9d and Ks.Should player not have straight flush to 8 for purposes of best hand.I was told that this would win best hand where mine didn't and that you cant make quads with 1 card in your hand.

Should I have won best hand?
I dont really understand the question. You had four aces, what were you up against to win 'best hand'? Re the second example, you are using your 2 hole cards so whats the issue? I'm presuming the 'best hand' is a separate prize?
RossiesAbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-16, 13:49   #12
gerk2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strewelpeter View Post
Wat the

Where is this game?
Not sure what you mean
Old 11-07-16, 13:52   #13
gerk2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossiesAbu View Post
I dont really understand the question. You had four aces, what were you up against to win 'best hand'? Re the second example, you are using your 2 hole cards so whats the issue? I'm presuming the 'best hand' is a separate prize?
all players paid 2 into best hand and is separate prize.best hand that ended up winning was house.the rule is you have to use both your hole cards and you can only use 3 on board for best hand prize.this rule eliminates things like houses where board might be AAAKK and player plays board.
Thanks From:
Old 11-07-16, 13:53   #14
gerk2015

Rossies,should I have won best hand on nite where next best hand is house?

Last edited by gerk2015; 11-07-16 at 14:56.
Old 11-07-16, 14:39   #15
dobby

Quote:
all players paid 2 into best hand and is separate prize.best hand that ended up winning was house.the rule is you have to use both your hole cards and you can only use 3 on board for best hand prize.this rule eliminates things like houses where board might be AAAKK and player plays board.
You didn't mention that in the OP. That's a regular thing in local pub games. Usually at a charity game or something where there's spot prizes. So in this instance I can understand why you have to use both hole cards.

You should have won the pot for that hand with quads but not the "best hand" prize with the 2 entry because you're only using one card for quads.
dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Old 11-07-16, 14:55   #16
gerk2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobby View Post
You didn't mention that in the OP. That's a regular thing in local pub games. Usually at a charity game or something where there's spot prizes. So in this instance I can understand why you have to use both hole cards.

You should have won the pot for that hand with quads but not the "best hand" prize with the 2 entry because you're only using one card for quads.
If board was A A A 2 3 and your hole cards was A 10,would you win best hand?or is the only way to win best hand is to hold pocket pair in your hand?
Old 11-07-16, 15:02   #17
RossiesAbu

Quote:
all players paid €2 into best hand and is separate prize.best hand that ended up winning was house.the rule is you have to use both your hole cards and you can only use 3 on board for best hand prize.this rule eliminates things like houses where board might be AAAKK and player plays board.
Bu if you used your 2 hole cards you still had 4 aces didnt you? Your hand is AAAA10
Thanks From:
Old 11-07-16, 15:13   #18
gerk2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossiesAbu View Post
Bu if you used your 2 hole cards you still had 4 aces didnt you? Your hand is AAAA10
That is what my argument was.I'm not claiming that king plays.at start only told u must use both ur hole cards.more bout principle of it than money I think I am entitled to
Old 11-07-16, 15:14   #19
Lplate

Quote:
So,if player has 4d 5d and board is 6d 7d 8d 9d and Ks then even though they have straight flush with both your hole cards they have not got best hand.I think they 4th and 5th cards shouldn't come into play though they may make better hands than 1 u have when you must use both your hole cards.
I don't disagree with you. But you need to talk to the organiser and nail down the exact rules. Nobody here will disagree with you in principle but none of us are the ultimate decision maker.
Lplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 11-07-16, 15:15   #20
RossiesAbu

Quote:
That is what my argument was.I'm not claiming that king plays.at start only told u must use both ur hole cards.more bout principle of it than money I think I am entitled to
A hand is your best 5 cards, you were done imo
Thanks From:

Irish Poker Boards > Poker > Poker Theory, Strategy and Rulings > Rules and Rulings