Irish Poker Boards
D4Events Feb17
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Personal Logs

Old 29-02-16, 05:45   #1
Mellor

IPB - Crossfit Open Thread

The annual Crossfit Open commenced this week. And I thought it might be interesting to run a thread on here for people on here to play along. For those that down know, the Crossfit open is a set of 6 specific workout over 6. One workout is announced each week and athletes have a week to submit a time/score. They come in various formats, such as maximum rounds or max weight in a given time. Lowest time for a set workout, most reps without missing a cut off, or similar.

Each weeks "event" is a secret until CF HQ announce it. The main workout is the R'x worked that the top athletes follow, they also release a scaled version for us mere mortals. It’s probably best for interest is anyone playing along opts for the same version, buy by all means choose whatever version you want. At a guess, I’d say it will be the scaled one both weeks.

Hopefully we get a few interested. I’ve mentioned it to a few already. I’ll share it in the BBV and Fitness thread too.
(@Lloyd feel free to edit the above as you see fit)

For more info see http://games.crossfit.com/about-the-games/the-open

35 Betfair bonus

Last edited by Mellor; 29-02-16 at 05:57.
Mellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 29-02-16, 06:05   #2
Mellor

WORKOUT 16.1

Rx’d
Complete as many rounds and reps as possible in 20 minutes of:
25-ft. overhead walking lunge
8 burpees
25-ft. overhead walking lunge
8 chest-to-bar pull-ups

Men lunge 43kg
Women lunge 29kg

Scaled

25-ft. front rack walking lunge
8 burpees
25-ft. front rack walking lunge
8 jumping chin-over-bar pull-ups

Men lunge 20kg
Women lunge 15kg

Equipment
• Barbell
• Collars
• Plates to load to the appropriate weight for your division
• Pull-up bar
• Measuring tape

Notes
Prior to starting this workout, each athlete will need to mark a starting point on the floor, measure out 25 feet and make another mark on the floor at the finishing point. Additionally, intermediate marks must be made at every 5-foot interval, each of which represents 1 rep of the lunge.

This workout begins with the barbell resting on the floor near the pull-up bar. At the call of “3, 2, 1 … go,” the athlete will pick up the barbell and lunge with it overhead for 25 feet. They will then perform 8 burpees, jumping over the barbell on each repetition, before picking the barbell back up and lunging back in the opposite direction. Once back at the pull-up bar, they will perform 8 chest-to-bar pull-ups, and then will head back to the barbell to begin the next round.

Scoring
Your score will be the total number of repetitions completed before the 20-minute time cap.
So, 1 round is worth 26 reps (5+8+5+8)

I think the Rx's version is a lot harder than it sounds. Trying to hold 40kg+ over head after 15mins won't be happening. I'd say scaled is the best option here, and probably will be most week.
For more info, videos, how to st it up, etc. See the link below.

http://games.crossfit.com/workouts/the-open/2016#tabs-1

35 Betfair bonus

Last edited by Mellor; 01-03-16 at 01:09. Reason: added scoring and info
Thanks From:
Old 29-02-16, 15:32   #3
The C Kid

Stupid question here, presume those weights are inclusive of the bar?

Might give this a go and see how embarrassingly bad I am at it.
The C Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-16, 15:38   #4
FeetMagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by The C Kid View Post

Yep, inclusive. Going to give it a go tomorrow I'd say.
FeetMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 29-02-16, 22:16   #5
Mellor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The C Kid View Post

Yeah inclusive, so for the scaled version, a standard 7ft bar with no weights on it. Or even a 20kg fixed bar like this one;

I think the scaled version should be manageable, the RX'd looks a nightmare.I'll be doing it tomorrow I think.

35 Betfair bonus
Old 29-02-16, 23:54   #6
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

Did the scaled this evening and got 180 reps, or just short of 7 rounds. That's a very pedestrian score (like ~17,000th of 25,000 scaled competitors worldwide). My approach was to try and go very easy at the start and attempt to have a consistent workload throughout. Probably went a bit too hard initially, my first round was like 2min10sec and average round time was just over 2min50sec. Not perfect pacing but not bad - felt shattered at the end but didn't blow up and didn't feel like I left a huge amount out there.

In terms of advice I'd say to get your heartrate up when warming up. I did a five minute row about six minutes or so before kick off and it served me well. My heart rate spikes doing burpees so I took them real easy. Lots of T Spine, hip and quad mobilisation before. Oh and I used a ladies bar with 2.5kg change plates just so the bar was a bit easier to pick up off the ground and to discipline the bar hop as it should be an actual jump with two foot take off and landing.

I think the scaled version is a very good, fair and accessible workout. This is all aerobic engine and pacing. None of the three movements will cause failure but you will gather cumulative fatigue. If you get ahead of your heart rate you will be fucked so take off slower than you'd like.

Interested to see what people get!!
Old 01-03-16, 01:11   #7
Mellor

Doing this tomorrow, was planning on budgeting 2mins a round (30seconds per set). Aiiming for a steady pace. No idea if that achievable though. Might dial back the pace.

35 Betfair bonus
Old 01-03-16, 19:45   #8
FeetMagic

Did the scaled workout this evening. Got 13 rounds in with about 10 secs to spare. The burpees in between lunges were the killer. Think I'll do it again in next week. Feel like I could hit 15 on a good day.
FeetMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Thanks From:
Old 02-03-16, 19:41   #9
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeetMagic View Post
Did the scaled workout this evening. Got 13 rounds in with about 10 secs to spare. The burpees in between lunges were the killer. Think I'll do it again in next week. Feel like I could hit 15 on a good day.
That's pretty insane going!!
Old 02-03-16, 23:10   #10
Mellor

Did this last night. 9 rounds exactly.
Bit of an awkward set up, in that I had a bit of distance between the pull up bar and the lunge area. Wasted a bit of time walking between them but by the middle rounds I needed the rest anyway.
Was aiming to pace 2 min rounds, but time slipped away over the first 5 rounds not sure how it happened, if I mis-read clock or something. I was also stupidly doing kipping pull-ups (very bad at these). Switched to jumping pull-ups after 5th round and managed to maintain 2min or so to close. Might have hit 10 if I did that from the start

9 rounds - 234 points

35 Betfair bonus

Last edited by Mellor; 02-03-16 at 23:32.
Thanks From:
Old 02-03-16, 23:27   #11
Mellor

13 is crazy FM. I nearly got sick after 9 rounds. I had a look at the leaderboard, 15 would be top 12th in the world.
I was trying to get the video of one of the top scores, but most aren't working.
But here's a guy from Ireland with a working video that was high enough on the leader board.
http://games.crossfit.com/judge/16.314434

35 Betfair bonus

Last edited by Mellor; 02-03-16 at 23:37.
Old 04-03-16, 10:44   #12
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

http://games.crossfit.com/workouts/the-open

Very different test this week. Don't have double unders so I'll be going scaled. This will really challenge your efficiency - getting through that work in four minutes while hitting the movement standards will be very tough
Old 07-03-16, 23:29   #13
Mellor

Was away since last friday, only getting a chance to look at this one now.
Will be scaled for this one also. Will be going well to get past the first few rounds here.
at first I though the skipping was the challenge, then I seen the weights are increasing for the cleans. They get heavy quickly.

Lloyd linked the workout above, but for the the sake on posting here, in metric, etc

[size]WORKOUT 16.2
[/SIZE][/B]

Rx’d
Spoiler

Scaled

Beginning on a 4-minute clock, complete as many reps as possible of:
25 hanging knee raises
50 single-unders
15 squat cleans, 43kg

If completed before 4 minutes, add 4 minutes to the clock and proceed to:
25 hanging knee raises
50 single-unders
13 squat cleans, 52kg

If completed before 8 minutes, add 4 minutes to the clock and proceed to:
25 hanging knee raises
50 single-unders
11 squat cleans, 61kg

If completed before 12 minutes, add 4 minutes to the clock and proceed to:
25 hanging knee raises
50 single-unders
9 squat cleans, 70kg

If completed before 16 minutes, add 4 minutes to the clock and proceed to:
25 hanging knee raises
50 single-unders
7 squat cleans, 83kg

Stop at 20 minutes.

Equipment
• Pull-up bar
• Jump rope
• Barbell
• Collars
• Plates to load to the appropriate weights for your division

Scoring
This workout is over when the athlete fails to complete all the repetitions within the cut-off time for that round. The final round ends at the 20-minute mark. The athlete’s score is the number of repetitions completed up to their cut-off time.

Notes:
This workout begins with the athlete standing under the pull-up bar. At the call of “3, 2, 1 … go,” the athlete will have 4 minutes to perform 25 toes-to-bars, followed by 50 double-unders, and then 15 squat cleans. If all 90 repetitions are not completed by 4 minutes the athlete’s workout is over, and they will stop and record their score.

If all 90 repetitions are completed within the 4-minute window the athlete will earn an additional 4 minutes to perform another 25 toes-to-bars, 50 double-unders, and 13 squat cleans, this time at a heavier weight. and so on...

In this workout, another person may assist the athlete in changing the plates on the barbell during the workout, or multiple barbells may be used.

35 Betfair bonus

Last edited by Mellor; 07-03-16 at 23:54.
Old 11-03-16, 04:36   #14
Mellor

I failed to complete the 3rd round by the 12 min mark. I managed 2 rounds, 25 knee raises, and 7 cleans.
I had lost about 2 mins by the end of the knee raises and plates changing. Notice the cock-up? I forgot the third set of skips. I remembered just after I finished.
To get an idea of where I was at, I picked up the rope and did 50 single unders right afterwards. Took 50 seconds. If I did them in the right order, I'd might have managed 3 or 4 cleans only.

Good workout. Once you get through the cleans, you are guaranteed the next 75 reps. But that's the challenge as the cleans are tough to pace.
I think I'd have round 3 in me, especially if I had somebody to change the plates for me. But 4 would be my limit I'd say. 9 x 70kg is not easy to do fatigued.

Reps I did: 210
...reps in the right order: 203
Reps I would have done in the right order: 256/257

35 Betfair bonus
2 Thanks From:
Old 12-03-16, 15:40   #15
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

16.3 Scaled

Quote:
7 min AMRAP of:

10 Snatches 20kgs
5 Jumping Chest to Bar Pull Ups
Didn't have muscle ups so gave the scaled version a go this morning. Deadlifted and pressed beforehand which was dumb given it's essentially a pure pulling workout. Goal was to get 7 rounds done total and I managed 7 rounds plus one snatch so 106 reps, with me finishing the 7th round in 6:52.

That might not be a terrible score as I was able to go unbroken on muscle snatches the whole way through and I'd imagine people taking on the scaled version might not have that strength even with the empty bar.

Was happy with my pacing, tried to think of it like a 2k row so the aim was to start feeling uncomfortable about 4 minutes in and hang on and it was spot on for me in that regard. Forearms / hands / shoulders smoked at the end. Good workout.
Old 13-03-16, 22:06   #16
Mellor

I think this is my favourite one so far. The snatch load is low enough that I should go unbroken, aided by the fact that the start position for an empty is "clearly below the knees" not on the ground. And overall reps are on the lowers end. And time is relatively short.

Lloyd did you do 16.2?

35 Betfair bonus
Old 13-03-16, 23:45   #17
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

Didn't fit it in last week. Will come back to it at some stage.
Old 16-03-16, 05:25   #18
Mellor

I liked the look of this one. Shorter duration, less technical variations. Nothing grindy about the exercises. Mostly a test of gas-tank, and keeping it together on the snatches.

The goal was to work within the 40-60 sec per round. No need to start off any faster than that as 40sec works out at 10 rounds plus, whixh is loads. I get set up properly. 15kg bar with small plates to lift it off the floor (Thanks Lloyd) and set up a box under the pull-up bar so I'm actually only 6" away and not wasting time/energy on a larger jump.

Spoiler

35 Betfair bonus
Old 21-03-16, 06:49   #19
Mellor

WORKOUT 16.4
[/B]

Scaled

Complete as many rounds and reps as possible in 13 minutes of:

55 deadlifts
55 wall-ball shots
55-calorie row
55 hand release push-ups

Men deadlift 61kg . and throw 9kg ball to 9-ft. target

That's the scale version. The R'x is not much different. 102kg deadlifts and handstand push ups. I'm not a fan of it tbh. 55 reps deadlifts is not my idea of smart programming. It looks very grim ingeneral. Completing one round will a good result, not sure how much rowing 55 calories is.

35 Betfair bonus
Old 23-03-16, 05:04   #20
Mellor

I felt 1 round was a big score here. So decided to pace it as 3 mins per exercise, with 1 min to spare.

Deadlifts: Started fine. Well ahead of the clock. Broke them up into 20, 15, 10, 10. The last set was tough.
Wall balls: Was dreading these, but they were pretty easy. Must of overestimated the weight. Broke them in to 3 sets. 25, 15, 15
Row: Had to use a water rower, as no Concept 2 nearby. Should be about the same. The plan was the take it handy. I figured a 55 calorie row is about 3 mins work. But I really had no idea how much a calories is worth. At about 35 cals, I figure that its not a linear calories per 100m thing, it goes up quicker the faster you row. So kicked it up a gear to finish.
Press-ups: 3 mins left going in. Loads of time
20 reps Quick break
10 reps shit thats all!!
10 reps time is running down fast
5 reps, last 30 seconds
5 reps fuck this shit
5 reps...

... had 3 seconds to spare so stumbled to the barbell and pulled a single.

Score: 221 Reps
I reckon that single rep would have made a huge difference in my placing, had I actually been entered.

35 Betfair bonus

Last edited by Mellor; 23-03-16 at 05:17.
Thanks From:

Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Personal Logs