Irish Poker Boards
GG Poker May 17
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Poker > Poker Theory, Strategy and Rulings > Rules and Rulings
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-12-15, 09:47   #1
derek2222_ie
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 21
3 Cards

I was just wondering what happens if a player only realises he has 3 cards after all the action has taken place and he is about to muck his cards.

There was an all in preflop by the player in question and all other players folded but when he went to show the other players his hand he realised there was another card stuck to the back of one which he did not originally see.
derek2222_ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-15, 10:25   #2
Irisheman
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 788
Oops! In this instance the hand is null and it's a miss deal to my knowledge. Ie: everyone gets returned to the original state. Then I would suggest the dealer to count the deck! ;-)
Irisheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 14-12-15, 12:38   #3
Jam-Fly
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,886
I think the player with 3 cards' hand is dead, but all other hands are live if there has been 'substantial action' and the hand plays out as normal.
Jam-Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Old 14-12-15, 13:41   #4
derek2222_ie
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 21
All other hands had already folded.

The player with the 3 cards was the only one with cards left (he did not even know he had 3 cards until the rest had folded). There were two limps, a raise and a shove from the player with the 3 cards.

Do the players who limped and raised get their money back?
derek2222_ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-15, 13:48   #5
dobby
Member
 
dobby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: The Infirmary
Posts: 6,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by derek2222_ie View Post
All other hands had already folded.

The player with the 3 cards was the only one with cards left (he did not even know he had 3 cards until the rest had folded). There were two limps, a raise and a shove from the player with the 3 cards.

Do the players who limped and raised get their money back?
Hand is over imo. Player with 3 cards wins the pot as last player standing.
dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 14-12-15, 13:57   #6
Jam-Fly
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by derek2222_ie View Post
All other hands had already folded.

The player with the 3 cards was the only one with cards left (he did not even know he had 3 cards until the rest had folded). There were two limps, a raise and a shove from the player with the 3 cards.

Do the players who limped and raised get their money back?
sorry hadn't noticed that in OP. In this specific case, I'd award the player with 3 cards the pot and give him a warning. It's the player's responsibility to ensure he has two playable cards (e.g. he doesn't have three cards, one of his card isn't a joker etc).
Jam-Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Old 14-12-15, 14:13   #7
derek2222_ie
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam-Fly View Post
sorry hadn't noticed that in OP. In this specific case, I'd award the player with 3 cards the pot and give him a warning. It's the player's responsibility to ensure he has two playable cards (e.g. he doesn't have three cards, one of his card isn't a joker etc).
Thats exactly what I did. But I had no idea if I was right or not. I genuinely feel it was an honest mistake. Because all the action was over he didnt even need to tell anyone about the 3 cards. He could have just thrown them into the muck.
derek2222_ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-15, 14:21   #8
Jam-Fly
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by derek2222_ie View Post
Thats exactly what I did. But I had no idea if I was right or not. I genuinely feel it was an honest mistake. Because all the action was over he didnt even need to tell anyone about the 3 cards. He could have just thrown them into the muck.
the rules can never cover all the possibilities that can be thrown up so judgement has to be used in these cases. If you think it was a genuine mistake, I think awarding him the pot is fine. By the letter of the law, I'm not sure what the correct decision is.
Jam-Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 14-12-15, 14:35   #9
Hectorjelly
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,261
He can't win the pot. Last man standing rule gives the person with the only live hand remaining the pot, however he doesn't have a live hand.
Hectorjelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-15, 14:42   #10
dobby
Member
 
dobby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: The Infirmary
Posts: 6,535
Much like Nick Power winning a hand with no cards? The only logical thing to do is aware him the pot imo.
dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-15, 11:24   #11
derek2222_ie
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectorjelly View Post
He can't win the pot. Last man standing rule gives the person with the only live hand remaining the pot, however he doesn't have a live hand.
So in your opinion should all the money be given back to the people involved in the hand and a misdeal declared?
derek2222_ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Irish Poker Boards > Poker > Poker Theory, Strategy and Rulings > Rules and Rulings

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 23:00.