Irish Poker Boards
GG Poker May 17
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Personal Logs

Old 02-07-15, 15:28   #61
Tar.Aldarion

Send a message via MSN to Tar.Aldarion Send a message via Skype™ to Tar.Aldarion
Also one session of weights and I'm pissed off at people putting weights in the wrong places?
Old 02-07-15, 16:31   #62
Sickpuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
I let him do what he thought, he gave me a lot of exercises like you guessed above, then in 3-6 weeks I'll start on the 5x5, I like this. It was fecking hard going today because I'm pretty weak in a lot of areas but I enjoy it.

So what i'm doing for the moment (these only range from 4-9kg til I get better form and I'll up it soon):

shoulder press 4x15
lat pull down 4x15
bent over single arm row 4x15 x2
chest press 4x15
prone row 4x15
prone fly 4x15
walking lunges 4x15 x2
bicep curls 21s 3x15
Tricep extensions 3x15

Then some other non weight work:
double leg raises 2 x 25
plank 2 x 30 secs
ab taps 2 x 30 secs
cross overs 2 x 30 secs
back extensions 2 x 25

Finally cool down stretches.

I'll try that 3 times a week and keep my cardio 2 times a week.
Thats a lot of exercises for a complete newbie.
Why are you going to do this and then do 5x5 ?
Not giving out just curious.
5x5 brilliance is its simplicity.
Be better off doing 5x5 can throw in a few bicep curls and other isolation exercises if you wish.
5x5 the exercises are compound exercises exercise more than one muscle group.
Think that programme is needlessly complictated how long does a work out take?
Good luck with it anyways
Sickpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 02-07-15, 17:09   #63
bohsman

Agree on 5x5 and simplicity in general, simple but gets really boring as you start to struggle, would highly recommend Candito 6 week - http://www.canditotraininghq.com/fre...ngth-programs/
bohsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 02-07-15, 17:27   #64
pokerhand

Hey Tara,

GL with this. Losing 45 pounds is awesome. Like yourself I lost 61 pounds so far and starting to get into the fitness in order to tone up. Am currently mainly doing cardio and core (planking as trying to improve the fitness before tackling the weights. I havent really be doing much weights so far, only dabbling in order to get used to it, but will probably start taking it more seriously in mid August after my holidays.

Just wanted to say GL and try not overdo it as that is a surefire way to lose interest. Keep it fun and you will get a lot more of it. Not an expert by any means as many here are more qualified than I am, but coming for the same place as you (except massive meat eater ) am interested in how you progress, only stumbled on this thread today. Will be using this as my motivational tool as I will be reading this for tips etc...

Good luck again!

Last edited by pokerhand; 02-07-15 at 17:31.
pokerhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 03-07-15, 08:20   #65
Tar.Aldarion

Send a message via MSN to Tar.Aldarion Send a message via Skype™ to Tar.Aldarion
Got blood tests done this morning, everything should be in order but I like to check.
Cardio day today. I thought more of my muscles would hurt today but it's just mainly a bit sore in my abs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerhand View Post
Hey Tara,

GL with this. Losing 45 pounds is awesome. Like yourself I lost 61 pounds so far and starting to get into the fitness in order to tone up. Am currently mainly doing cardio and core (planking as trying to improve the fitness before tackling the weights. I havent really be doing much weights so far, only dabbling in order to get used to it, but will probably start taking it more seriously in mid August after my holidays.

Just wanted to say GL and try not overdo it as that is a surefire way to lose interest. Keep it fun and you will get a lot more of it. Not an expert by any means as many here are more qualified than I am, but coming for the same place as you (except massive meat eater ) am interested in how you progress, only stumbled on this thread today. Will be using this as my motivational tool as I will be reading this for tips etc...

Good luck again!
Woah great job man, 61 pounds
What cardio do you do? I was running but now I'm doing crosstrainer every time, not as full a workout for me. I was the same with the weights, I still have more weight to lose but would like to start weights now at least a couple times a week, seems a bit counterproductive to lose calories and put on muscle but I'm sure there are newb benefits.

Good luck, my brother is using me as motivation as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohsman View Post
Agree on 5x5 and simplicity in general, simple but gets really boring as you start to struggle, would highly recommend Candito 6 week - http://www.canditotraininghq.com/fre...ngth-programs/
Cheers will check this out, I don't really want to do the same thing every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickpuppy View Post
Thats a lot of exercises for a complete newbie.
Why are you going to do this and then do 5x5 ?
Not giving out just curious.
5x5 brilliance is its simplicity.
Be better off doing 5x5 can throw in a few bicep curls and other isolation exercises if you wish.
5x5 the exercises are compound exercises exercise more than one muscle group.
Think that programme is needlessly complictated how long does a work out take?
Good luck with it anyways
Not much reason! I like variety and these are exercises I can do easier at home, also my brothers do them and have the weights already. I'll probably be doing a mix and mat of all the things in time but I do like variety in those exercises. I think I'll transition to what you say pretty fast. I want to do some prone flies anyway they were pathetic.

Not really sure how long it will take since he was showing me them all and correcting me as well yesterday, that is a worry, I'm only in there an hour so I may leave the core stuff until home and just do weights and see can I finish them in an hour. I think I can streamline by doing one set of one, then doing a set of another to let the first muscles rest.
Old 03-07-15, 08:26   #66
Emmet
Bashful the next day

Worth trying to keep your workouts <1hr imo.
Emmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 03-07-15, 15:00   #67
Tar.Aldarion

Anybody ever have a problem where they can't rotate their wrist far enough? Like if I hold my arms straight out and try to put my hands face up, I cant. My hand is at about a 30 degree angle, this makes straight curls very hard/sore on wrists.
Old 03-07-15, 16:59   #68
Teddie

Quote:
Anybody ever have a problem where they can't rotate their wrist far enough? Like if I hold my arms straight out and try to put my hands face up, I cant. My hand is at about a 30 degree angle, this makes straight curls very hard/sore on wrists.

Most people do bicep curls with an EZ bar for this purpose.

Your gym should have one of these. If not you can just do hammer curls.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercise...e/hammer-curls
Teddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 03-07-15, 17:02   #69
Tar.Aldarion

I haven't seen one of those, might try hammer ones. I know my wrist cant turn as much as other people which is a problem.
Old 03-07-15, 18:02   #70
pokerhand

Quote:

Woah great job man, 61 pounds
What cardio do you do? I was running but now I'm doing crosstrainer every time, not as full a workout for me. I was the same with the weights, I still have more weight to lose but would like to start weights now at least a couple times a week, seems a bit counterproductive to lose calories and put on muscle but I'm sure there are newb benefits.
I was grossly overweight so the loss came mainly from food and not exercise, ie cutting out the dairy, biscuits and reducing the bread and pizza. And basically watching the calories intake and limiting same.

I do the theadmill for 20 - 40 minutes depending on time and energy. I like running and hate HATE the crosstrainer so stick to the threadmill. I like mixing up the speed so go at a steady pace for 8 mins or so and then ramp it up by 30% for 1 min then back for 5 min then increase it by 10% and up the gradient for 3 mins etc... Basically mix it up and push myself a little. On weekends I like to try to to longer,

Sometimes do the bike but the treadmill and free weights are my weapons of choice. For me workouts should be challenging but enjoyable.
pokerhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 05-07-15, 16:17   #71
Tar.Aldarion

Second day of the weights routine (first weekend gym trip ever ) It was hard work but I got it done in an hour (minus core). Felt fairly terrible towards the end, hard going. Was no break, one set of one exercises on to the next while that muscle rests. Will try the core stuff later.

prone fly easily my worst thing followed by tricep extensions.
Old 07-07-15, 18:49   #72
Tar.Aldarion

3rd weights day today, found it much easier and faster to do, must be careful not to go too fast. Will up some of the weights now I think.
Old 08-07-15, 08:55   #73
Tar.Aldarion

recommendation for video programs on flexibility? I like to follow along.
Old 11-07-15, 13:32   #74
Tar.Aldarion

Did weights thurs, cardio fri, weights today. Longer session today just putting a lot of exercises up a couple kg. They still range from 3-10kg

Witht he kinda light weights I do do I really need a day off to do cardio?
Old 12-07-15, 19:05   #75
Tar.Aldarion

Another weight session today followed by core, raised my puny weights a bit. Have lost so much strength losing over 3 stone in weight.

shoulder press 4x15 6kg -> 8kg
lat pull down 4x15 level 8 -> level 10. 12 is max on machine.
bent over single arm row 4x15 x2 8kg -> 10kg
chest press 4x15 6kg -> 10kg
prone row 4x15 4kg -> 7kg
prone fly 4x15 2kg ->4kg
walking lunges 4x15 x2
bicep curls 21s 3x15 4kg -> 7.5kg
Tricep extensions 3x15 6kg -> 7kg

Still can't supinate wrists so that kills me, trying some stretches.

Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 12-07-15 at 19:07.
Tar.Aldarion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-15, 14:20   #76
Tar.Aldarion

Did cardio today, 14 of the last 15 days have been gym days o./

crosstrainer levels 13-15 for 50 mins. 8.5km 650cals.
Old 14-07-15, 13:24   #77
Tar.Aldarion

Weights and core today, managed to get it done in just over an hour. Might try some deadlifts next time.
Old 15-07-15, 13:44   #78
Tar.Aldarion

Got my blood tests this morning, word doctor used to describe them was "beautiful" as she flicked through all the pages shaking her head, nearly burst out laughing at that. Everything was perfect with B12 on the border of high, healthiest bloods she had seen and am being told to keep whatever I am doing up. Feels good man, first test since veganism so was wondering if anything would be fucked up.

Did my heart checkup then, ECG etc and that's all perfect too, commented that I must do lots of sport, haha, yeah 20 years ago. Think my heart rate is going sub 50 from mid 70s last year

Anyway onto today's session, level 14 on the xtrainer, 50 mins, 8.5km, 670 cals. Felt that one.
keeping up my streak of 16 days. Weights + core tomorrow

Saw a guy putting back weights and put 20kg onto a barbell a guy was actually using by accident, was hilarious (although dangerous), the guy lifting was so confused as to why it had gotten so much harder for his right arm.
Old 16-07-15, 13:37   #79
Tar.Aldarion

Continuing with 17 day streak it's weights and core again. I'm not sure how you represent the weigths so I'll say what I use in each hand

shoulder press 4x15 8kg
lat pull down 4x15 level 10. 50kg?
Bent over single arm row 10kg
chest press 4x15 10kg
prone row 4x15 8kg
prone fly 4x15 4kg
walking lunges 4x15 x2
bicep curls 21s 4x15 8kg
Tricep extensions 4x15 8kg

core:
100 second plank
30 second plank
ab tabs 2x 30s
leg raises 2x25
leg scissors 2x30s
back extensions 2x25
Old 18-07-15, 13:12   #80
Tar.Aldarion

Yesterday I did cardio, xtrainer 52 mins 660 cals, level 14.

Today upped some weights:

shoulder press 4x15 8kg -> 9kg
lat pull down 4x15 level 10 ->11 55kg?
Bent over single arm row 10kg -> 12kg
chest press 4x15 10kg -> 12kg (1x15 14kg)
prone row 4x15 8kg - > 9kg
prone fly 4x15 4kg -> 5kg
walking lunges 4x15 x2
bicep curls 21s 4x15 8kg
Tricep extensions 4x15 8kg

core:
120 second plank
60 second plank
ab tabs 2x 30s
leg raises 2x25
leg scissors 2x30s
back extensions 2x25