Irish Poker Boards
GG Poker May 17
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Personal Logs

Old 07-04-15, 09:51   #41
Tar.Aldarion

Send a message via MSN to Tar.Aldarion Send a message via Skype™ to Tar.Aldarion
Did feck all over the 4 day weekend, ran 10k sunday night but hurt my knee, so I'm back to doing feck all again.
Old 13-04-15, 13:03   #42
Tar.Aldarion

Send a message via MSN to Tar.Aldarion Send a message via Skype™ to Tar.Aldarion
Was back at the gym thursday, friday and today.
9.5k, 8.5k and 5.5k on crosstrainer. Probably fit enough now to run after a week, reminder to just go slow as it's not worth speeding up and knocking yourself out for a week at a time.
Old 13-04-15, 23:35   #43
Tar.Aldarion

10k run tonight, took it very easy as leg is clearly still not recovered.

Have been seriously slacking off on my pullups again, fml, I enver think about them
Old 14-04-15, 00:19   #44
Lord Sir Banter
Bantersaurus Rex m8

Fitness smitness

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $
Lord Sir Banter is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 14-04-15, 00:41   #45
Mellor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
Have been seriously slacking off on my pullups again, fml, I enver think about them
Do you have the pull-up bar permanently set up in the house?
One method that might work is rather than setting aside a time for 3-5 sets of pullups in one block. You can spread them out over the day. Everytime you pass the pull bar do one set with the band. Over the day, you get your 3-5 sets done, and you do this one your 3 days.

Wake up, do a set on the way to the bathroom.
Get ready for work, do a set on your way out the door.
Get home do a set.
Waiting for the kettle to boil for your tea, do a set.
Before bed do a set.

Each set takes maybe 10 seconds, so its no great time out of your routine. The workload isn't intense enough to build up a sweat, but over time reps will increase.

€35 Betfair bonus
Mellor is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Old 15-04-15, 20:28   #46
Tar.Aldarion

Thanks that's great advice, I don't have it set up and usually, the only door it fits on is the bathroom door. Maybe I'll just leave it there and incorporate my toilet goings into it. Wanna pee, that'll be a set.

Yesterday 6k crosstrainer
Today 6.5k crosstrainer

Gonna set up pull up bar now.
Old 15-04-15, 23:41   #47
Mellor

Quote:
Thanks that's great advice, I don't have it set up and usually, the only door it fits on is the bathroom door. Maybe I'll just leave it there and incorporate my toilet goings into it. Wanna pee, that'll be a set.
That'd be perfect tbh. Everytime you go bathroom get it a quick set.
I wanted to set mine up on the bathroom but don't think it'll fit.

€35 Betfair bonus
Old 16-04-15, 22:44   #48
Tar.Aldarion

The bathroom is actually class, I've done a good few today passing by because I basically cant avoid it.

Did 8.5k on crosstrainer today.
Ran 3k tonight and leg gave in, walked another 4k.
Old 24-04-15, 15:45   #49
Tar.Aldarion

Monday - thursday
8k, 8.5k, 8.6k, 9k on crosstrainer. Still can't run with knee.
Am getting fitter going t o the toilet still.
Old 28-04-15, 13:53   #50
Tar.Aldarion

Yesterday 9km, today 8.75 km on xtrainer. Still can't run, very annoying. Have started doing some chinups as opposed to pullups for a while
Old 01-07-15, 14:32   #51
Tar.Aldarion

Exactly 1 year since I started eating better, and 11 months since I started going to the gym. 47 pounds lighter. Getting weights routine from a gym staff member tomorrow. (Never done weights before so probably can do fuck all)
Old 01-07-15, 14:41   #52
Sickpuppy

Quote:
Exactly 1 year since I started eating better, and 11 months since I started going to the gym. 47 pounds lighter. Getting weights routine from a gym staff member tomorrow. (Never done weights before so probably can do fuck all)
47 pounds is great well done.
With weights getting your technique right is more important than what you can lift.
Dont be put off because you see some beast of a man lifting 10 times what you can.
Hes probably been training for years.
Get your technique right and the weight you can lift will rise good luck.
Sickpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Old 01-07-15, 14:54   #53
Emmet
Bashful the next day

Quote:
Advice - http://www.exrx.net/ & www.stronglifts.com

You really only need to learn a couple of exercises that work on the main muscle groups for the first 8/10 months of training tbh!

It's worth asking the gym staff member to teach you these and focus on them mostly.
Squats - legs/arse/core
Deadlifts - shoulders/back
Bench Press - chest/arms
Military/Overhead Press - Shoulders/arms

In my own experience (several years ago mind!) you usually get given a "12 minutes on the bike, 12 mins cross trainer, lift some dumb bells up, try all these other weights machines" in the main from a gym trainer. These are the low-risk low-reward exercises. They don't want to be mucking around giving you the direction that would really benefit you because, honestly, it would take up a fair bit more of their time and effort.

Of course there will be many exceptions to this, but be wary of the 12/15 different exercise per session 'plans'.
Emmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 01-07-15, 15:05   #54
The Situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmet View Post
Advice - http://www.exrx.net/ & www.stronglifts.com

You really only need to learn a couple of exercises that work on the main muscle groups for the first 8/10 months of training tbh!

It's worth asking the gym staff member to teach you these and focus on them mostly.
Squats - legs/arse/core
Deadlifts - shoulders/back
Bench Press - chest/arms
Military/Overhead Press - Shoulders/arms

In my own experience (several years ago mind!) you usually get given a "12 minutes on the bike, 12 mins cross trainer, lift some dumb bells up, try all these other weights machines" in the main from a gym trainer. These are the low-risk low-reward exercises. They don't want to be mucking around giving you the direction that would really benefit you because, honestly, it would take up a fair bit more of their time and effort.

Of course there will be many exceptions to this, but be wary of the 12/15 different exercise per session 'plans'.
Think its moved forward tbh although probably depends on quality of the gym/trainers. Can only speak for Westwood but trainers in there are all about compound lift heavy programs with only 5/6 different exercises per session.
Old 01-07-15, 15:12   #55
Tar.Aldarion

Sounds good thanks, anything with pictures of what the things are is great. I've wondered what 5x5 was, So 5x5 sets of the same weight at an exercise basically? Apart from I should do 1 in each set of deadlift? Those are great links cheers.

I thought I'd do teh likes of curls and a few other lifts with those little weights too. Like I see people hold the weights at their sides and then lift them outwards and upwards, and some people shrugging with weights and so on. Or lying on their back and putting them in the air, my technical mumbo jumbo needs work.

Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 01-07-15 at 15:15.
Tar.Aldarion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-15, 15:15   #56
Emmet
Bashful the next day

Stronglifts App is perfect. Shows you the weights you should use. Has a link to the video of each exercise too. Has a tracker so you can watch your progress.

It was so good that I paid the extra €10er after a while to get the premium stuff (totally not needed) just to throw some cash at them.
Emmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 01-07-15, 15:24   #57
Tar.Aldarion

Will have a look at that app cool.
Old 02-07-15, 02:25   #58
Mellor

Quote:
47 pounds lighter.
Amazing progress, Well done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmet View Post
+1 for EXRX.net
SL has its flaws, but by and large its one of the better starting points.

There are versions of 5x5 that are basically Stronglifts with some added assistance lifts (curls, shrugs, etc). something to thin about down the line once you have the big 6 lifts down.

Quote:
In my own experience (several years ago mind!) you usually get given a "12 minutes on the bike, 12 mins cross trainer, lift some dumb bells up, try all these other weights machines" in the main from a gym trainer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Situation View Post
Think its moved forward tbh although probably depends on quality of the gym/trainers. Can only speak for Westwood but trainers in there are all about compound lift heavy programs with only 5/6 different exercises per session.
from what I hear, you still get both.
The difference between a Gym induction for a "fitness instructor", and a proper program was a legit Personal Trainer.

€35 Betfair bonus
Thanks From:
Old 02-07-15, 08:42   #59
Tar.Aldarion

Basically I know my program now so just want to be shown the technique, so I should be ok, he doesn't have to think too much. I want to do curls shrugs as well, will probably try and throw them in and see how much the work load is. Current weight 163lb (from 210), must check back in and see how this changes, there is fat to be lost and muscle to be gained.
Old 02-07-15, 14:05   #60
Tar.Aldarion

I let him do what he thought, he gave me a lot of exercises like you guessed above, then in 3-6 weeks I'll start on the 5x5, I like this. It was fecking hard going today because I'm pretty weak in a lot of areas but I enjoy it.

So what i'm doing for the moment (these only range from 4-9kg til I get better form and I'll up it soon):

shoulder press 4x15
lat pull down 4x15
bent over single arm row 4x15 x2
chest press 4x15
prone row 4x15
prone fly 4x15
walking lunges 4x15 x2
bicep curls 21s 3x15
Tricep extensions 3x15

Then some other non weight work:
double leg raises 2 x 25
plank 2 x 30 secs
ab taps 2 x 30 secs
cross overs 2 x 30 secs
back extensions 2 x 25

Finally cool down stretches.

I'll try that 3 times a week and keep my cardio 2 times a week.

Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 02-07-15 at 14:49.
Tar.Aldarion is online now   Reply With Quote

Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Personal Logs