Irish Poker Boards
D4Events Feb17
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Personal Logs

Old 05-03-15, 00:41   #1
Tar.Aldarion

Send a message via MSN to Tar.Aldarion Send a message via Skype™ to Tar.Aldarion
Fitness and stuff

Gonna be doing hell and back in a few months (12km obstacle course http://www.hellandback.ie/) so may as well track what I do here for it.
I am in no way fit first off, bit overweight, so this will be a good challenge.

I can't run very much yet as I have very sore shins when I try it.
Bought exercise mat, foam roller, running shoes, pullup bar so far.
I go to the gym a bit and cycle to work and back every day (10 km total)

This week:

Monday:
9km on crosstrainer, resistance 12, 50:00.
45 pushups
Few arms weights machines (no idea what anything is called). I am not really focusing on weights yet, more cardio. I do reps of 12, 3 times per machine. I don't know what weights are in the machines but I have them at 12/12.

Tuesday:
10km on crosstrainer, resistance 12, 39:50.
Couple weights machines

Wednesday:
10km on crosstrainer, resistance 12, 50:00.
Couple weights machines
Jog 6km (I stress jog, took 46 minutes)
52 pushups.

Will just be doing random similar stuff, will see how it goes. Not gonna do much weights really for a couple months, just bodyweight stuff like pushups and pullups, maybe squats, lunges and sit ups.

Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 05-03-15 at 00:43.
Tar.Aldarion is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Thanks From:
Old 05-03-15, 00:49   #2
The Situation

Good luck.

Have you had any sessions with a personal trainer in your gym? If not, reckon it'd be worth it, they'd have a much better idea of the type of programme you should be doing to prepare best for the hell and back.
Old 05-03-15, 00:55   #3
Tar.Aldarion

Send a message via MSN to Tar.Aldarion Send a message via Skype™ to Tar.Aldarion
Thanks. Haven't asked but good idea, will do. Especially as they have all done it before. Judging from pictures up on the wall!
Old 05-03-15, 01:46   #4
Mellor

I've never done a Hell&Back type race, but from what I've seen I'd say that pull-ups are very important.
I'd started including them 3 times per week from here. Keep the reps low and concentrate on getting volume done overall rather than constantly going to failure.

35 Betfair bonus
Mellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 05-03-15, 08:37   #5
coillcam

Good luck with this Tar.

Just on the shin pain, its shin splints. I had it myself for a couple of months when I started back training (about 4 or 5 years ago now). This was after a couple of years sitting on my ass doing nothing. Essentially your legs aren't conditioned to take the impact of running just yet. Try jogging on grass rather than the road, its much more forgiving. That said even really fit people can develop shin splints.

The way I overcame the pain was by regularly stretching my calves and Achilles. 2 or 3 times daily. I'd also do single leg calf raises on a step, again 2 or 3 times daily. Do a set til you feel the burn. Repeat 3-5 times for each side. Also foam rolling will help. Mash your calves and shins as best you can. If your feet get sore, I find rolling a tennis ball or hurling ball underneath quite beneficial. Lastly get a good pair of trainers, it will help no end. You might find that something with a little heel is ideal or a thin, flat barefoot shoe. It depends on your stride. You'd probably get better advice from someone who does running/triathlons.
coillcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 05-03-15, 10:06   #6
Tar.Aldarion

Ordered 16kg kettlebell and resistance band this morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coillcam View Post
Good luck with this Tar.

Just on the shin pain, its shin splints. I had it myself for a couple of months when I started back training (about 4 or 5 years ago now). This was after a couple of years sitting on my ass doing nothing. Essentially your legs aren't conditioned to take the impact of running just yet. Try jogging on grass rather than the road, its much more forgiving. That said even really fit people can develop shin splints.

The way I overcame the pain was by regularly stretching my calves and Achilles. 2 or 3 times daily. I'd also do single leg calf raises on a step, again 2 or 3 times daily. Do a set til you feel the burn. Repeat 3-5 times for each side. Also foam rolling will help. Mash your calves and shins as best you can. If your feet get sore, I find rolling a tennis ball or hurling ball underneath quite beneficial. Lastly get a good pair of trainers, it will help no end. You might find that something with a little heel is ideal or a thin, flat barefoot shoe. It depends on your stride. You'd probably get better advice from someone who does running/triathlons.
Thanks, will try the exercises out, I tried this before so maybe I should do it regularly.
Wasn't really sure what exercises to do for sore shins.

I have flat feed and had/have osgood-schlatters disease, jsut to make running even harder for me haha. Bought some trainers, and debuted them last night, got gait analysis and they are much better. Definitely make a huge difference to the way you run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellor View Post
I've never done a Hell&Back type race, but from what I've seen I'd say that pull-ups are very important.
I'd started including them 3 times per week from here. Keep the reps low and concentrate on getting volume done overall rather than constantly going to failure.
Just waiting on the bar to arrive and will get stuck in, I'd say I'm useless at them. Sounds like a good plan to me. I want volume with everything, I don't want to jsut burn out and be sore for a few days.
Old 05-03-15, 15:47   #7
bohsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by coillcam View Post

Really frustrating, I walk easily 20km a week for work and back and have been active with that and football for the last couple of years, now that I've upped the tempo it's hitting me while walking some of the time. I'll be in bits walking to football then sitting for a minute to change into boots and completely ok by the time the game starts.
bohsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-15, 15:56   #8
Tar.Aldarion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohsman View Post
Really frustrating, I walk easily 20km a week for work and back and have been active with that and football for the last couple of years, now that I've upped the tempo it's hitting me while walking some of the time. I'll be in bits walking to football then sitting for a minute to change into boots and completely ok by the time the game starts.
Yeah I find it very frustrating, stops me running and I have to job slowly, not even out of breath. Walking very fast does it to me even. And it fades and comes back so fast.

Thursday
9.2km on crosstrainer, resistance 12, 50:00.

Fairly fucked today after the 1200 calories exercise last night, also fecking hungry!
Old 06-03-15, 02:02   #9
Mellor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
Just waiting on the bar to arrive and will get stuck in, I'd say I'm useless at them. Sounds like a good plan to me. I want volume with everything, I don't want to jsut burn out and be sore for a few days.
When the bar comes, test your max pull ups the first day, then we can base training volume off that number.
Old 09-03-15, 23:05   #10
Tar.Aldarion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellor View Post
When the bar comes, test your max pull ups the first day, then we can base training volume off that number.
Ok this i s tough, I did a couple of chin ups, couldn't do pullups. My wrists are sore from it.
I think I should start with negative chinups or something. (and lose weight)

Monday
8.5km on crosstrainer, resistance 12, 50:00.
53 pushups

Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 09-03-15 at 23:07.
Tar.Aldarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-15, 23:54   #11
Mellor

Quote:
Ok this i s tough, I did a couple of chin ups, couldn't do pullups. My wrists are sore from it.
How many chin ups?
If you can do 3 or 4, then no need for negatives imo

35 Betfair bonus
Old 10-03-15, 10:10   #12
Tar.Aldarion

yeah that is what I could do, albeit poor form. Will work on pullups so. it wasn't even close haha.
Old 10-03-15, 11:16   #13
coillcam

You could grab a couple of resistance band to assist your pull ups for a few weeks. Though some guys don't like them as there is a slight bounce/catapult effect.
Thanks From:
Old 10-03-15, 11:19   #14
Tar.Aldarion

I've ordered the black one on here http://www.amazon.co.uk/E-PRANCE-Pre...esistance+band

Might give it a try with it so cheers. I don't mind if there is a bounce I'll be getting rid of it as soon as I'm able and I believe I really need the help.
Old 10-03-15, 11:25   #15
coillcam

Quote:
I've ordered the black one on here http://www.amazon.co.uk/E-PRANCE-Pre...esistance+band

Might give it a try with it so cheers. I don't mind if there is a bounce I'll be getting rid of it as soon as I'm able and I believe I really need the help.
Grab the next grade down also. You might find it easier to progress to the next band and then to full bodyweight. Besides that, they are multi-function and really useful for a variety of exercises.
Thanks From:
Old 10-03-15, 23:59   #16
Mellor

Here's a micro-program for pull-ups;

Pull-up progression

The program: 5 sets of pull-ups, 3 times a week, (simple right )
  • Sets 1-3 to be regular pullups (follow rep scheme below)
  • Sets 4-5 to be band assisted pull ups (more reps, but stop before failure)

Sets 1 - 3Day 1Day 2Day 3
Week 13,2,23,3,23,3,3
Week 24,3,33,3,24,4,4
Week 35,4,45,5,45,5,5
Week 46,5,56,6,56,6,6
Week 57,6,67,7,67,7,7

The three numbers represent the reps for sets 1,2 & 3.
The reps for the banded sets are undefined, will depend on the band and your weight. Go with what feels comfortable, don't go to failure, but try to maintains and increase reps over time.

35 Betfair bonus
Thanks From:
Old 11-03-15, 10:05   #17
Tar.Aldarion

Awesome thank you. Will try to get me doing them as fast as possible. I get a lot of abs DOMS from pushups yet, just to add to the experience of trying pullups last night.
Old 11-03-15, 11:45   #18
Mellor

Forgot to include, don't do them on consecutive days. Keep 1 day rest between them.
Mon/Wed/Fri works well, but similar invving Sat or Sun is fine too
Thanks From:
Old 12-03-15, 14:15   #19
Tar.Aldarion

Last night my ex showed me some yoga, I am terrible. I find it quite a workout tbh. She is only a beginner but 100x better than me, fairly sore today. Probably because she is skinny and flexible and I am fat and not. The brand of yoga she does seems quite intensive, I think it seems like a great idea for me to start doing it.

Today I did 30 mins on the crosstrainer and that's it. I'm fairly run down and everywhere hurts. Might try some pull up practice later as my resistance band has arrived.
Old 13-03-15, 15:23   #20
Tar.Aldarion

Another day another crosstraining. Have a guest staying with me for a week so haven't been able to do much in the evenings.

50 mins crosstrainer, 8km

Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Personal Logs