Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Personal Logs

Old 22-07-14, 20:22   #21
The C Kid

Sergio-Tiger more like!
The C Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Old 22-07-14, 20:23   #22
Mickey Rosa

@C-Kid a few fourballs sounds great, tbh I see no reason IPB couldn't have a society but that's a job for down the line.
Old 22-07-14, 21:09   #23
Silver-Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Rosa View Post

Silver-Tiger I completely appreciate what you say about the target but I put it on the far side of definitely achievable because it's what I do with every goal.
You're a qualified barrister so i won't be disagreeing with you there man.

No-one will tear your swing apart btw. What good is that to anyone?

After a pro tidies up your grip and stance i bet the first thing he tries to do is straighten up your left arm on your backswing. It's your wrist that should lengthen your swing, not your elbow.
You can't break it like you do. You must lose an awful lot of power and accuracy from it. Watch any pro and you won't find one that breaks their elbow in their backswing.
Good tip on getting a head start on this is to get an empty 2 litre bottle, cut off both ends and place the remainder around your elbow. It will restrict you from doing this. It will feel weird as fcuk for a while but will open your swing up to being more fixable.
Silver-Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
Old 22-07-14, 21:15   #24
Mickey Rosa

That's exactly the type of feedback I wanted, really appreciate it. It's the first thing I noticed when I watched it on the video too, will work on it.

Will try to post a video here every few months, slash do a montage to see progression.
Old 23-07-14, 01:36   #25
gorrrr72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
Mickey from looking at your scoring. Your overall goal seems too high i think.
You should be trying to get to 18-19 next summer and then kick on from there.
Trying to drop 7 shots whilst struggling to break 30 points off a current handicap is far too unrealistic given your commitments off the course. You'd need to be getting lessons and playing twice a week to get near your current goal.

I asked you to post your swing and i think you should. If not, get a mate to video and watch it yourself. You learn so much by watching.

I have averaged about 3 games a month since may and that's the most golf I've played since i was about 23. I played off 7 between 18-22 and then commitments ruined me. Working 9-5 in town and trying to keep up golf is rough. I'm 29 now and I've only recently started scoring in the high 30s off 12 and now 11. It's just down to keeping a list of good swing thoughts together and using them on every shot.

My friend taped my swing and when i seen it i wasn't happy. My action is too fast to be sustainable and the amount of fidgeting i do sickens me when i watch. It really doesn't feel like that over the ball. Also my right hand is way to open in my grip and i'm compensating for that in my swing. When i don't, i push it out right. You'll learn a lot from the tape. Do it man.

Here's mine.

Wouldn't worry too much about the fidgeting, it releases tension. You have a good shoulder to hip turn ratio, you are right about your grip, way too strong. I also thought your overall length of swing was too long, way past parallel. This is all imho of course.
gorrrr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 23-07-14, 13:56   #26
Mickey Rosa

@Silver-Tiger been working on that with the bottle etc all morning, haven't hit a ball just swinging. Actually feels much more natural to get more rotation into the swing. Still hope to get a quick 9 holes in tonight, will update if I do, thanks for the advice again.
Old 23-07-14, 14:47   #27
gorrrr72

Joined the society in the local pub, they only play once a month but it's better than the once a year I'm doing now. I haven't played since this time last year and the next society game is the end of the month. I could do with heading to the driving range before then but either way it should be interesting.
Old 23-07-14, 14:52   #28
gorrrr72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
You're a qualified barrister so i won't be disagreeing with you there man.

No-one will tear your swing apart btw. What good is that to anyone?

After a pro tidies up your grip and stance i bet the first thing he tries to do is straighten up your left arm on your backswing. It's your wrist that should lengthen your swing, not your elbow.
You can't break it like you do. You must lose an awful lot of power and accuracy from it. Watch any pro and you won't find one that breaks their elbow in their backswing.
Good tip on getting a head start on this is to get an empty 2 litre bottle, cut off both ends and place the remainder around your elbow. It will restrict you from doing this. It will feel weird as fcuk for a while but will open your swing up to being more fixable.
Good advice Silver, I will get a mate to record my swing at the DR if I get there this week. Sorry for derailing your thread MR.
Thanks From:
Old 25-07-14, 08:58   #29
Mickey Rosa

Didn't end up getting out on Wednesday evening but played 18 in Kilcock with the SO's father and his mates yesterday. Ended up with 26 points but should have broken the 30 grail in reality. Played very well over the front 12 including back to back pars, and was putting like a dream. Still a few duffed shots but decreasing all the time. Tried to incorporate the straight arms which Silver Tiger talked about don't know if I got it bang on but definitely an improvement.

To put it in context I hadn't had a par before Druid's Glen and now I'm confident of having at least 3 a round and increasing all the time. I need to make some time to get to the driving range so I can get comfortable with the driver because losing the 50-70 yards using an iron on the longer holes is certainly hurting.

One of the lads yesterday, while only playing off 17 decided to take it upon himself to critique and offer suggestions to everyone after every shot. When I told him after the 6th hole of this, in the politest way possible given the company, that although I knew I had things to work on I'd rather just play my own game I thought the problem was solved. Then hit a shot on the 8th fairway that although it didn't fly majestically did advance up the fairway 150 yards and left a chip into the green, his immediate questions "You mustn't play much do you?" I kept y head down, he finished with 21 points.

Hope to get another few games in over the weekened, whatever about the standard of my current play I've never enjoyed playing so much which can only bode well for commitment going forward. Enjoyed playing with the girlfriends dad though and we do get on very well so should get another few games from that direction.
Old 25-07-14, 09:24   #30
SSP

Really cannot emphasise enough the importance of getting some lessons in. Going to the driving range and practicing is essentially worthless unless you have something to work on. Without lessons and something to work on, you are just grooving your mistakes and reinforcing bad technique.
SSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-14, 09:28   #31
Mickey Rosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSP View Post
Really cannot emphasise enough the importance of getting some lessons in. Going to the driving range and practicing is essentially worthless unless you have something to work on. Without lessons and something to work on, you are just grooving your mistakes and reinforcing bad technique.
Agreed I've always said throughout this log I'm going to get lessons in September, between now and then I'm friends with and playing with some good golfers who are making sure I'm not being a total noob.
Old 26-07-14, 16:45   #32
underachievement

cool log,best of luck with it.
my sister was showing me a super free app while taking in a bit of golf in dunmore east last week. its from UBERSENSE.COM . its lets you slow your videos right down and completley analyse your swing from every point! even lets you put in line/circles to see where bodyparts should or shouldn't be going! super cool app!
underachievement is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 27-07-14, 21:21   #33
Mickey Rosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by underachievement View Post
cool log,best of luck with it.
my sister was showing me a super free app while taking in a bit of golf in dunmore east last week. its from UBERSENSE.COM . its lets you slow your videos right down and completley analyse your swing from every point! even lets you put in line/circles to see where bodyparts should or shouldn't be going! super cool app!
Thanks for the heads up will defo check it out.
Old 27-07-14, 21:22   #34
Mickey Rosa

Played 9 holes in Ballinascorney this evening, had a few pints after so will keep this short. Drove like a dream never hit a ball so far in my life, putter was a bit off but there was no consistency in the greens. Had 14 points for the 9 holes, happy enough.
Old 19-08-15, 21:51   #35
Mickey Rosa

So it's time to revive this. I started this log with such great intentions and then got a job which resulted in no time for life let alone golf. A very kind person got me 4 lessons for christmas and I took the first of them up yesterday. The coach was extremely nice and made slight adjustments to my swing which I could instantly see the benefit of.

Ended up playing 18 in Delgany today and ended up with 26 points off 24. Having not played in over a year I was more than happy with that. I was carrying my clubs and for anyone that doesn't know the course it's built of the side of a mountain so was tired enough near the end.

The slight changes the pro made yesterday meant I could count on one hand the number of properly duffed shots and if I putted better I could have had a very tidy score.

He told me yesterday that with my swing, which he thought was decent, if I played consistently for a year with lessons I could have a tidy enough handicap.

Maybe this will be the year I keep it up through the winter...hopefully.
Old 04-08-16, 07:41   #36
Mickey Rosa

Well it's time to revive this again, I didn't play last winter but find myself again with great intentions I confidently say it's going to be this year I swear. So I got my three cards done in Bray over the past 2 weeks. Resulting in this:

I have played 81 holes since Sunday morning including one lesson. I'm not setting the world on fire but the shots are there imo. Played Glen of the Downs yesterday in an open competition, the front 9 was a horror show in the wind and rain but had 19 points on the back nine which I was very happy with.

I'm someone who loves data in anything I do, so I've started using game golf (https://www.gamegolf.com/) which will allow people to check in on my rounds and see shot by shot if your interested, but more importantly will be a very good record for myself. I'll link the rounds here as we go.

I'm playing this Saturday and most likely Sunday too so will check in with how that goes. They will be my first competitions in Bray with my own handicap and both are strokes.

This is going to be the year.
Old 04-08-16, 09:18   #37
eoghan104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Rosa View Post
Well it's time to revive this again, I didn't play last winter but find myself again with great intentions I confidently say it's going to be this year I swear. So I got my three cards done in Bray over the past 2 weeks. Resulting in this:

I have played 81 holes since Sunday morning including one lesson. I'm not setting the world on fire but the shots are there imo. Played Glen of the Downs yesterday in an open competition, the front 9 was a horror show in the wind and rain but had 19 points on the back nine which I was very happy with.

I'm someone who loves data in anything I do, so I've started using game golf (https://www.gamegolf.com/) which will allow people to check in on my rounds and see shot by shot if your interested, but more importantly will be a very good record for myself. I'll link the rounds here as we go.

I'm playing this Saturday and most likely Sunday too so will check in with how that goes. They will be my first competitions in Bray with my own handicap and both are strokes.

This is going to be the year.
If I was you I would play the Stableford competition on Sunday. That option is there for every medal. The Blue tees are very tough..... just a suggestion.
eoghan104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 04-08-16, 09:29   #38
brady23

I've started playing. I've had 5 lessons from the Pro in Naas GC pretty expensive and very analytical, it's good but I'd say a lower handicap would find it more beneficial but no doubts my technique and ball striking has improved a lot.

I joined Dunmurray springs till the end of August, moving to Auckland then so figured it would be a good hobby to have while there, first card for the handicap finished with a 99 but that included 3 pars and 5 bogeys so capable of dropping a few shots soon I think.

Last edited by brady23; 04-08-16 at 09:34.
brady23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 04-08-16, 10:34   #39
Mickey Rosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoghan104 View Post
If I was you I would play the Stableford competition on Sunday. That option is there for every medal. The Blue tees are very tough..... just a suggestion.
Didn't know that, great shout.
Old 08-08-16, 09:36   #40
Mickey Rosa

That pretty much sums up the weekend. Two competitions in which I failed to get to the buffer zone of keeping the same handicap or the hallowed land of a cut. I'll write a longer post about both later in the week, but it was simply a case of a couple of bad holes in each round and not putting everything together on the other holes. Call me delusional but I fully believe the shots are there to make a cut score and get this cut started.

Off to practice on the range/pitching and putting green now with a another lesson tomorrow. Next competition is a 13 hole stableford on Wednesday.

I'm frustrated but in now way downhearted from the weekend.

Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Personal Logs