Irish Poker Boards
GG Poker May 17
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Personal Logs

Old 15-06-14, 13:17   #1
Mickey Rosa

Eradicate The Hook - Golf Log

So I don't know if people will learn as much from this as the fitness logs but I hope it might interest some. I played a bit of a golf in the summers when I was younger and although I was never a member of a club I was playing to a 16 handicap at my height. I'm now 24 and my first love of sports, rugby, is no longer an option due to injury. I've got back into golf in the past few weeks and played 2 rounds in the past few days scoring 18 and 20 points off 22, so lots to work on.

I plan on joining a club (Bray is looking like the front runner) in the next 2 weeks which will allow me to play a lot more. I'm completely free for the summer before hopefully starting a job in October so time isn't an issue. I'll probably take a few lessons from the club pro (I think my core technique is good but I've been woefully inconsistent in the two rounds) I'm also using these videos which I've found to be very easy to follow https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTw...w5xs4wdN-qz7yw

I plan on trying to get 9 holes in with the old man this evening if we can get out and have another round penciled in for Tuesday afternoon.

I suppose my goal would be to playing to sub 15 by this point next year. I can't tell if that's over or under ambitious but we shall see. I'll keep this updated after each practice or round. I toyed with the idea of a stand alone blog but this seemed like a much better fit. If there is a type of information people would like included just shout.
Old 15-06-14, 13:19   #2
Mickey Rosa

So whatever about my golf the two courses I played last week had some serious views.

Bray

Blainroe
Old 15-06-14, 16:11   #3
gorrrr72

On the face of it, getting to sub 15 sounds ambitious if a golfers averages are over 20 shots above that right now.
The sample size you are giving is too small to judge though. If you were just playing once a week you should take at least 10 shots off your current averages in 2 or 3 months just because you would be developing your feel for the short game.
The fact that you were playing to 16 before means you have a natural ability so there is no reason that you couldn't get to that level again, especially with extra knowledge, practice and commitment that you mention. And I assume you are stronger than you were when you were 16 so that'll help a lot too.
The lowest I consistently played to was 17, I haven't played much in the last 5 years though. Maybe 6 or 7 rounds total. If I played a game today I would probably score around your scores but I know that's nowhere near my true ability and with regular playing and practice I would easily get to a 20 average.
Best of luck with it, it'll be interesting to follow.
gorrrr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 15-06-14, 20:45   #4
Mickey Rosa

Just in from 9 holes in Ballinascorney with the old man. Delighted with the improvement since Friday, changed a few small things in my swing based on a few videos I'd watched. Only duffed 2 shots and gave myself puts for par on 5 of the 9 holes. Finished up with 13 points off 22.

Real confident boost of a round, drives were all straight. Things to work on are my distance control and judging the correct club. I simply don't know which to pull out when I'm 120ish out etc and my putting. If I can get down in two puts on every green it will make a huge difference.

Going to head up to the driving range in Leopardstown tomorrow afternoon to attempt to get a better control of my distance and then use the putting green outside. Will probably go around for 18 afterwards on my own, no idea what state the course is in up there. Anyway positive day to kick things off.
Old 16-06-14, 16:22   #5
The C Kid

Playing to sub 15 in 12 months should be achievable imo if you were a true 16 handicap as a kid.

Cool log, will keep any eye out for it.
The C Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 16-06-14, 18:24   #6
Mickey Rosa

Spent 2 hours on the driving range today which was really productive, think I diagnosed the fact that i was over turning in my follow through which was causing me to hook a lot of drives. I also went through every club in the bag just to give myself a rough idea of the distance I can expect from them. Hit the putting green after and tried to get into more of a rhythm and constant follow through, much more to be done in this area.

Went out for 9 holes after, the course for those that don't know it is certainly on the short side but was in really good shape. Overall i was pretty disappointed in how I played, couple of wayward drives, and although I gave myself puts for par on 8/9 I didn't convert a single one which was very frustrating. I think I'm striking my irons a lot more consistently than last week which is a plus.

Finished up with 14 points off 22. I really thought I would shoot better starting out but in hindsight there was certainly improvement however slight. I'm also not stupid enough to think that things will come together so quickly. Have made enquires about membership in Bray so hope to have things firmly in motion by early next week, which I think will be a big step. I was shocked how busy Leopardstown was today, there wasn't a yummy mummy worth her salt not there.

Hope to get something in tomorrow, maybe another 9 in Ballinascorney. Won't be doing anything Wednesday or Thursday so really want to get a good session in.
Old 17-06-14, 20:42   #7
Mickey Rosa

Just in from 9 in Ballinascorney, utter shit show nothing much to report. 3 times put myself in good positions off the tee only to fly the green and still three putting. 11 points off 22.

No golf now until Friday, which should let the skin on my thumb heal with any luck.
Old 17-06-14, 21:20   #8
Silver-Tiger

Post a vid of your swing
Silver-Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 17-06-14, 21:30   #9
Mickey Rosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
Post a vid of your swing
Will get one in the next few days in the garden. As I said will be getting lessons in the coming weeks with any luck so will be slow enough to change anything major now but will throw up a video just to see what the general feeling is.
Old 18-06-14, 08:48   #10
eoghan104

Hey,

I am a member in Bray if you need any advice? Keep up the good work anyway and you will see serious improvement in no time!
eoghan104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 18-06-14, 08:50   #11
NewApproach

Interesting thread, best of luck with it!

I must try to get back into golf myself, serious punting potential.
NewApproach is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 22-06-14, 12:23   #12
Mickey Rosa

Played 18 in Druids Heath with a wieful hangover on Saturday as a result of this. Had 22 points off 22 but didn't enjoy a second of the rounds. The course was very tough, hot and uphill. Couple of yards left or right off the tee and the ball was gone. Got horribly sunburnt which I only have myself to blame for.

Played another 9 in Blainroe yesterday afternoon, had to cover up the aforementioned burnt skin which wasn't very enjoyable. Actually felt I put a few shots together but didn't score well and tbh it was more a social round than anything.

Haven't forgotten about the swing vid, I'll get round to it this week, also looking in to a few lessons.

Still inconsistent. Still frustrated.
Old 17-07-14, 16:44   #13
bigfrank08

This game is driving me nuts,been playing off 17 for over a year now.joined a new club in April and have hit 38 points once and the rest pretty average.been off work this week so been playing loads,been to driving range,tweaking things etc and I'm playing worse than ever it's something I wanna get good at,is the best way to just take lessons Bd learn the correct method,I'm all self taught regards grip,set up,swing etc and know it's nothing like it should be according to YouTube.the professional grip I have tried but it don't feel natural to me so must be doing it slightly wrong,love the game but hating at the minute
bigfrank08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-14, 09:19   #14
Mickey Rosa

I owe this a long update which I will get around to this weekend, been very quiet on the golf front the last three weeks with only four rounds as a result of holidays, graduations etc. Played Druids Glen yesterday though and this happened...

Old 18-07-14, 09:24   #15
Keane
Martingale Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Keane
Keep this going if possible, could be real interesting.
Old 22-07-14, 18:06   #16
Mickey Rosa

Ok proper update time. As you can see from the tweet above I played in Druid's Glen last week as part of a society competition. It was the first time I've gone out and been confident lining up every shot. I ended up with a score of -1 on the Par 3's, but combined this with some terrible driving which meant holes were over before they began. Added to this after three pars in a row I whipped out my phone while waiting on another tee to see a lot a texts about MH17, I happen to be on that exact flight in 2 weeks (more of that later) so scratched the next 3 with my head all over the place. It was a bit of everything in the round but I couldn't have enjoyed it more, ended on 28 points only 3 away from scooping a visitors prize and won the closet to the pin with 18 inches.

I was in Villamoura for the week before this, and managed not to hit a single ball due to a lack of a playing partner despite canvassing the hotel reception to find me one, brownie points earned for not going missing for a day in fairness.

I'm just in from 18 in Charlesland in Greystones, after the horror show with the driver last week I only took it out once. Played 4 iron of most tees and felt in control, hitting most shots well, good direction etc. Lapses of concentration on a few greens cost me a good score. Finished on 28 points with 3 pars, 2 of which were on par 5's. I try to take something positive from each round and today it was this...

Old 22-07-14, 18:54   #17
zuutroy
Minor Local Celebrity

Started playing a bit last year after a 20 year lay off and have gotten back into it a lot since. Joined Roganstown as an associate member and put in my 3 cards which should get me about 18 h/c. Suffering terribly from out to in swing which is resulting shots that start at the flag and then fade right. Have spent an obscene amount of money on gear. Good luck with it, I might start one myself!
Old 22-07-14, 19:04   #18
The C Kid

I'm looking to start playing very regularly again around Dublin from the start of August, was down to a 13 handicapper as a teenager but would probably play to 18-ish now as haven't really played much last few years. Should definitely organise a few 4balls from here if anyone is keen.
The C Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 22-07-14, 19:49   #19
Silver-Tiger

Mickey from looking at your scoring. Your overall goal seems too high i think.
You should be trying to get to 18-19 next summer and then kick on from there.
Trying to drop 7 shots whilst struggling to break 30 points off a current handicap is far too unrealistic given your commitments off the course. You'd need to be getting lessons and playing twice a week to get near your current goal.

I asked you to post your swing and i think you should. If not, get a mate to video and watch it yourself. You learn so much by watching.

I have averaged about 3 games a month since may and that's the most golf I've played since i was about 23. I played off 7 between 18-22 and then commitments ruined me. Working 9-5 in town and trying to keep up golf is rough. I'm 29 now and I've only recently started scoring in the high 30s off 12 and now 11. It's just down to keeping a list of good swing thoughts together and using them on every shot.

My friend taped my swing and when i seen it i wasn't happy. My action is too fast to be sustainable and the amount of fidgeting i do sickens me when i watch. It really doesn't feel like that over the ball. Also my right hand is way to open in my grip and i'm compensating for that in my swing. When i don't, i push it out right. You'll learn a lot from the tape. Do it man.

Here's mine.

Silver-Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Old 22-07-14, 20:22   #20
Mickey Rosa

I completely forgot about the swing vid and don't want it said I don't deliver so ran out into the back garden and got this. Will get a proper one when I get a chance. Tbh it was a shock to see this on video and see how ungraceful it is. I can already pick out 10 things wrong with it myself and tbh wasn't sure if I'd post it but sure here goes

Silver-Tiger I completely appreciate what you say about the target but I put it on the far side of definitely achievable because it's what I do with every goal.

I know many on here will tear that swing apart and most likely rightly so, but just to note I fully intend on taking a lot of lesson with the Pro in Bray who I've only heard good things about when I join.

Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Personal Logs