Irish Poker Boards
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Personal Logs

Old 22-11-13, 15:46   #41
Teddie

didn't get to read Mellors or bohsman posts last night but those are probably the final nail in the 5x5 deadlift coffin for the moment. Had more of a think about Emmets/Mellors previous post and as Mellor also points out above I realised doing 5x5 and being knackered by the end last two sets that form goes to pieces it's probably better too drop the sets so I tweaked it a bit this morning.

Deadlifts:
warm-up 5x20kgs, 5x20kgs, 5x20kgs
5x40, 5x45, 5x50

Three sets felt a lot better, I think if/when I reach a high level then dropping down again would be needed but for the time being 3 sets is quite manageable.

Squats: Warm-up 5xbody 5x20kgs
5x30kgs, 5x35kgs, 5x40kgs, 5x45kgs, 5x45kgs.

Happy enough with the Squats. Still not found them hugely taxing but when doing them on my own far cautious about not failing on them. Also still figuring out where my level is at. 4th set felt a bit tough on the last rep but on the 5th set I did feel I could have moved up to 50kgs.

Bench:
5x20, 5x25, 5x30, 5x30, 5x30,

Last set was a struggle, definitely wouldn't have been confident finishing it off at 35kgs. Might go for the 2.5kgs increase next time. Looking at it if I can do 3 sets of 30kgs their should be room for increase.

Shoulder
5x20, 5x25, 5x25

Was fuck'd after the third set. Might consider moving bench press before squats to give shoulder a bit more recovery.

Legs raises 3x8 and crunches 3x8
Finished two dips as well, once goal achieved already - ship it. Then did 3x5 press-ups.
Teddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-13, 16:05   #42
Teddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohsman View Post
StrongLifts 55 Workout AStrongLifts 55 Workout B
Squat 55Squat 55
Bench Press 55Overhead Press 55
Deadlift 15Deadlift 15

Explanation from the 5x5 site why they only do 1x5 on DL - http://stronglifts.com/why-deadlifts...ts-5x5-squats/

I'm really new to all this so can't really argue for or against programes, just figure if SL and SS work for a lot of people without any major arguments against it it must be fairly well balanced and would take a lot of reading up to make your own program anywhere near as good or balanced. I wouldn't be sure about DL, OHP and Bench Press all on the one day for example.

At a guess the above table would keep you happy till you have better flexibility.

I definitely understand the argument for picking a program and going with it, but I do enjoy the trial and error method so far. It's like taking a car journey. Most people will want to get from A to B in the quickest time possible which is what a structured program will do in terms of weight lifting but for me doing weights I'd rather take the more scenic route. It will probably take me longer, but it will also be more interesting for me and I do think I'll learn more this way. So far I've learnt a good bit that I don't think would have happened if I'd done a structured program. It's also lead to some great tips and advice posted. If I'd simply said on the OP "I'm doing Starting strength, here it is" I doubt I'd have gotten much advice/feedback.

On that program you posted, it looks good. But to me it just seems very little. 20 minutes and I'd be finished, which with high intensity might be good but I can't imagine being that gassed that I'd want to stop after 20 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellor View Post
I'd recommend sticking with 1x5 for deadlifts once you get going. I think its ok to do higher volume to get the form right but only is they are light.
If you feel like this;

I'd stop straight away.

Once you change focus to increasing the weight. I'd be doing as few warm up sets as possible and a single work set. You might end up doing 5 sets once the weight 100kg or above, but the jumps between weights need to be large so that you haven't lifted a massive total by the 5th set. Bigger jumps from set to set are better.

This is definitely becoming obvious to me now. I think once I get to the stage where I'm breaking down on the third set or else my squats are becoming more demanding then I'll need to re-jig my routine. For the time being I'm going to take it slow with the weight increases though. Also it works fine with the bench and Squat because I'm starting out with just the bar so I can't really go lower for a warm-up anyway.

Last edited by Teddie; 22-11-13 at 16:17.
Old 22-11-13, 16:40   #43
bohsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddie View Post

On that program you posted, it looks good. But to me it just seems very little. 20 minutes and I'd be finished, which with high intensity might be good but I can't imagine being that gassed that I'd want to stop after 20 minutes.
I've been doing the 5x5 day on day off ignoring weekends, with the increases I may not be gassed but my arms and legs are shattered by the end of it. Am also at the stage where I'm failing OHP at 30kg and close to failing bench, 32.5kg up next.
bohsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-13, 18:29   #44
Teddie

No room for deadlifts so started in a different order.

Squats:
Warm-up 5x20kgs, 5x20kgs

5x35kgs, 5x40kgs, 5x45kgs, 5x50kgs, 5x55kgs

Felt fine, last set was a bit of struggle. Bar felt a good bit heavier on my shoulders. Definitely seemed like a much bigger jump than 5kgs, bound to happen though.

Bench:
5x20kgs, 5x20kgs, 5x25kgs, 5x30kgs, 5x35kgs.

Finally looked up how to do a bench press on youtube before this and realised I was doing it all wrong. Felt bit eaiser with better form but last set was tough, especially last few reps. I think next time I'll do 5x20 then two sets at 25kgs and finish on 35kgs.

Shoulder Dumbell press:
5x10kgs, 5x10kgs, 5x10kgs

Was wrecked after 3rd set. Need to space between this one and bench.

Deadlift:
warm-up: 5x20kgs, 5x20kgs

5x45kgs, 5x50kgs, 5x55kgs.

Felt good on the dead's.
Thanks From:
Old 28-11-13, 18:23   #45
Teddie

Today was an enjoyable struggle.

Deadlifts:
warm up: 5x20, 5x20, 5x20

5x50, 5x55, 5x60

Bench:
5x20, 5x25, 5x25, 5x30, 5x35

Last set wasn't too bad. Not sure If I just increase the end weight or just move the two sets to 30kgs as planned. Will see how I get on after my first 30kg set next time.

Squat:
Warm-up 5x20

5x40kgs, 5x45kgs, 5x50kgs, 5x55kgs, 5x60kgs.

Knew from the warm-up this would be a struggle. Thought at 40 that I'd have little chance to finish at 60kgs. After the 4th set I was just going to try 55 again but decided to give 60 a bash. Very tough, not sure how much depth I got though.

Should Press:
5x20, 5x20, 5x25, 5x25, 5x30

Again very difficult by the last set. Although first time I've managed the five sets so happy with that.
Old 03-12-13, 17:54   #46
Teddie

Did a 3km run at the weekend, first time in a while and did it in 14:55. Not great and legs were fairly sore for a few days after it.

Deadlifts:
Warm-up 5x20, 5x20, 5x20

5x50, 5x55, 5x65.

Jumped 10kgs for the last set. I think incrementing in 5's is just going to take to much out of me for the last set. Record the last two sets so will have a look at them later.

Bench:
5x20, 5x25, 5x30, 5x35, 5x40

Very pleased with bench. First time I've been able to add weights for each set.

Squat:
Warm - up - 5 body squats, 5x20
5x35, 5x40, 5x45, 5x55, 5x65.

Decided to do the same as with deadlifts. Last set was okay.

Shoulder press:
5x20, 5x25, 5x25, 5x30, 5x30

Happy enough. Improvement from last time.

Last edited by Teddie; 03-12-13 at 18:07.
Old 03-12-13, 19:52   #47
Teddie

Looking at the video my form is still pretty poor. Can't get down low enough to be comfortable. Is doing deadlifts not using the full ROM in a squat rack okay?
Old 03-12-13, 22:07   #48
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Looking at the video my form is still pretty poor. Can't get down low enough to be comfortable. Is doing deadlifts not using the full ROM in a squat rack okay?
I can't easily get into a good position either, so I half squat down lower than I need to, grab the bar and then raise my ass to get into position:

Also more hip, glute and hamstring mobility work.

You can also consider some top down exercises like Top Pull Deadlifts or RDLs.

Form being poor at this point is fine!! Fix it rather than giving up and going to rack pulls though.
Old 03-12-13, 22:50   #49
Teddie

Should have said, the plan was to go to rack pulls while I continue to work on flexibility. The aim is definitely to be able to do proper DL's. I'm just not sure if a few weeks doing rack pulls while working on flexibility is better/worse/no different then plugging away at what I'm currently doing but go back to lowering the weight.
Old 05-12-13, 16:37   #50
Teddie

Deadlifts:

I went with the rack option and had the bar set at about knee height. Looking at more videos online and my own form I noticed that when I reach standing position and go back down I don't just tilt my back forward and then bend the hips when I reach knee level. I tend to tip the back and bend at the same time. Bar is then shooting out infront of me rather than being tight into my thighs. didn't go into the routine with any set idea on weight/sets. I think I'll start putting deadlifts at the end when I am fully warmed up and more flexible as well. Starting them first when I have flexibility issues isn't ideal probably.

5x20, 5x30, 5x30, 5x40, 5x45

Should Press:
5x20, 5x25, 5x30, 5x35, 4x35

first time I've failed on a weight, disappointing but bound to happen soon enough.

Squats:
Warm-up 5x20, 5x20
5x40, 5x45, 5x50, 5x55, 5x65

up to 55 it was fairly easy, last set wasn't easy. 10kgs away from squating body weight so hopefully have that chalked off by the end of next week.

Bench:
5x25, 5x30, 5x35, 5x40, 5x40.

Just managed to finish out the last few reps on the last set. Did my ab stuff before bench due to someone using it so pretty happy with it though considering was the very last exercise I did for the day.
Old 05-12-13, 16:47   #51
Theresa
lwaysone

Why don't you sort your flexibility issues before you start deadlifting?

You'll never get a strong deadlift if you arent flexible enough to get into the position.
Old 05-12-13, 17:14   #52
Teddie

Seems to make more sense to me anyway to work on the parts of the DL I can do instead of not doing it at all. If I don't do it now then when I'm flexible I'll need to work on everything, where as if I keep doing what I'm doing now I should just need to worry on the lower part once my flexibility is sorted. Open to suggestions on it, but from what I've read doing racked DL's is fine if you can't do full ones.
Old 05-12-13, 21:25   #53
Theresa
lwaysone

They are absolutely fine but do them AND do some flexibility work, you'll get into a better habit as well.

If you were to Deadlift normally now it'd be like trying to drive a car while hovering over the seat. You could do it but it'd be much easier to sit into it properly.

My Deadlift form is shocking so pinch of salt and all that.
Old 05-12-13, 22:06   #54
Teddie

Ah yea I am doing flexibility work as well, didn't make that very clear at first. Hoping in a few weeks I'll be able to do the regular deadlifts. Also think breaking it down will help overall. I find it very hard to remember all the necessary movements/positions/tips etc for the deadlift so having to just learn half and working on that half on it's own should make it stick in the memory easier.
Old 06-12-13, 17:39   #55
Teddie

Back to back days which I wasn't looking forward too.

Sqauts:

Warm-up 5x20, 5x20, 5x20.

5x45, 5x50, 5x55, 5x60, 5x70

Last set was pretty bad in terms of form, I'd say it was half repping all of the way. I think the problem is I was to eager to push on and reach 75kg's so I forced the increases a bit. For the next two sessions I am going to max out and 70kgs and try aim for depth.

Deadlift:
Warm-up 10x20, 10x20, 10x30

5x35, 5x40, 5x45

Again the bar was set at about knee height. It's going to be a long battle to get everything down right and fluid. Very slow movement and stopping at the top and bottom to make sure I have everything set.

Shoulder Press:
5x20, 5x25, 5x30, 5x30, 5x35

Glad to finish last set after last time. Last rep was a struggle though. Trying aim for two sets of 35 next time and I'll be delighted if I manage that.

Bench press was busy all the time so couldn't do that. Did 3x5 push-ups instead. Nothing like some push-ups to make you feel weak.

Core work:
3x8 lying leg raises - these after bad for my lower back, need to find something else
2x8 crunches - should probably introduce weights at this stage(?)
3x15 second planks.
Old 14-12-13, 20:08   #56
Teddie

Went out last weekend drinking and was in bits all week. ugh. Being busy this week didn't help either. Finally managed to drag myself to the gym today.

Squats:
warm-up 10x20, 10x 20
5x45, 5x45, 5x50, 5x55, 20x40kgs

Wanted to do something different after the last sessions. Made more of an effort to go as deep as I could. Found 55kgs very tough and doubt I would have managed 60kgs so finished off with something dfferent.

Shoulder press:
5x20, 5x25, 5x30, 5x35, 5x30

Difficult 4th set @ 35kgs. Up until then I felt pretty good. Might aim for the two at 35 next time depending on how I get on before.

Deadlifts (Half ROM, bar set just about knee height)
5x30, 5x30, 5x40, 5x45

Slowly improving and getting more fluid in the reps.

Bench:

Felt good with this one. 40's at the end weren't to bad.

Overall pleased enough I kept it at the same level considering the last week my diet has been non-existent.
Old 10-01-14, 00:50   #57
Teddie

Ugh, only realised it was nearly a full month since I was last in the gym when I came in here to post. Fuck'n Christmas & lack of self discipline.

Bench:

Squat:
5x 20 warm-up
5x40, 5x45, 5x50 ,5x55, 5x60

Felt good, seemed like I could go deeper as well. Hit the holding bar thingy a few times which I'd never done before.

Shoulder:
5x20, 5x25,5x30,5x35, 4x35.

Felt grand until the 2nd last set then it seemed to nose dive. 5th set was horrible, wobblying it all over the place.

Half-Deadlifts:
5x40, 5x50, 5x55

Getting better with the top part of the DL, spending less time reseting at the top and the movement seems smoother.

Got Kelly Starrett 'How to become a supple leopard' for Christmas to going to give it a good bash now.
Old 10-01-14, 03:06   #58
Mellor

Quote:
Half-Deadlifts:
5x40, 5x50, 5x55
I imagine what you doing are rack pulls. Just in case you want to do a bit of googling on how to get the most out of them.

Quote:
Got Kelly Starrett 'How to become a supple leopard' for Christmas to going to give it a good bash now.
Got this also.
You should include the initial tests, and later fixes, that you do in the log. I'll try to do the same. Hips are my worst spot, probably due all day in a chair.

35 Betfair bonus
Mellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 14-01-14, 17:31   #59
Teddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellor View Post
I imagine what you doing are rack pulls. Just in case you want to do a bit of googling on how to get the most out of them.

Got this also.
You should include the initial tests, and later fixes, that you do in the log. I'll try to do the same. Hips are my worst spot, probably due all day in a chair.

Just getting the bracing sequence down is going to be an achievement, I don't actually really understand what he wants from the book. Even standing and pointing my feet straight ahead will be very strange to get used to. I think this is the first time I've tried to re-train something that comes natural in my adult life so it's going to be an interesting experience.
Old 14-01-14, 17:42   #60
Teddie

Disaster session today. firstly I forgot my sweat towel which is pretty much the nut worst thing to forget(I don't shower in the gym so no towel at all).

Squats:
5x20, 5x20, 5x20
5x40, 5x45, 5x50, 5x55, 2x60

Disaster number two happened here when I reached the bottom of the second squad and then got a sharpish pain in my lower back on the left. Squeezed out another half rep and then felt it was wiser to just stop.

Very annoying, hoping it was only a minor pain but it's still noticeable now so probaly won't be gone by tomorrow like I'm wishing.

Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Personal Logs