Shoulder press 10x2 @ 8kgs
Tricep extension 10x2 @ 4kgs
Sidelifts 10x2 @ 4kgs
Bicep curls 10x2 @ 4kgs

10/11/13
Deadlifts 5x50kgs, 5x60kgs, 5x70kgs, 5x75kgs, 5x70kgs, 5x60kgs

2 rounds of Squats, Shoulder Press and lateral raises @ 8kgs
3 rounds of Squats, Shoulder Press and lateral raises @ 6kgs

These are the only two I've recorded but I've done more. I still have no set routine yet. I'm thinking I'll do deadlifts 5x5 every time, then 15 reps one day, 10 another and then 5 for another day. It's all a bit up in the air so far though. The journey is most of the fun though. All comments and critiques very welcome as well.

Last edited by Teddie; 14-11-13 at 09:58.
Teddie is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Old 14-11-13, 08:54   #2
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

What's the goal here? Training history? You training at home or in a gym? Just weight sessions or anything else?

Good luck in any case!!
Old 14-11-13, 09:21   #3
Emmet
Bashful the next day

That's a lot of deadlifts!
Emmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-13, 09:55   #4
Teddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
What's the goal here? Training history? You training at home or in a gym? Just weight sessions or anything else?

Good luck in any case!!

No set goals really. Generally just enjoy it and get fitter/stronger. I have a few things I'd like to achieve(stuff like Squat/deadlift X amount, X dips/pull ups etc) but I'm not sure I want it to be goals that alter my training to achieve. Trained in a gym before about 5 years ago, no weights since then but have been running for the last year or more. Training in RAW in town and it's just weight sessions so far with a token bit of cardio at the beginning and end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmet View Post
That's a lot of deadlifts!

Trying to get the form down. Although I went up to high in the weights I think and it went out the window by 75kgs so that's why I decreased back down. I think I might just cap it at 60kgs for the next few runs.

Last edited by Teddie; 14-11-13 at 10:25.
Old 15-11-13, 15:58   #5
Teddie

Deadlifts:
5x40kgs. 5x40kgs. 5x50kgs, 5x50kgs, 5x40kgs

Squats:
5x20kgs. 5x20kgs, 5x30kgs, 5x35kgs, 5x40kgs, 10x30kgs, 10x20kgs

3 rounds of Shoulder press 8x8kgs, sides raises 8x4kgs, tricep extension 8x4kgs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First time I've ever done a barbell squat, felt weird. Hard to get used to balancing it at first.

Took a video of my deadlifts but the quality isn't great. Think my technique needs a bit of work though, I seemed to have round back at the top and my feels left the floor which I don't think should happen. Next time I'm in I'll write a list of steps(mainly found from youtube videos) I need to do and follow that so any advice on what the steps should be?

1. feet hip witdh apart
2. feet under the bar
3. hips back, chest up(looking for an arch in the lower
4. grab bar
5. pull shoulder blades back
6. Big breathe and hold it in
7. stand up and during standing up...
8. Aim to press heels into the floor
9. and move the hips and the chest.

Anything I've got wrong/am missing? Previously I've not been doing steps 5,6,7 or 8 correctly and steps 1 and 2 might not have been perfect either.
Old 15-11-13, 19:44   #6
brady23

Just to comment on the goal setting, I appreciate enjoying the exercise but I think goal setting can ultimately increase the enjoyment.
Setting goals means better structure and ultimately better results.
I attended a lecture last night based on balancing sport and college/work life. Most well known speakers were Donnacha Ryan, John Mullane and Colin Regan.
Throughout the entire lecture all the speakers referred to goal setting as a major contributor to their success.
Perhaps you don't know what you want to achieve from exercise which is fine and although their situation is different because they are competing at a high level but setting goals sooner rather than later will definitely help.
Gl with it.
brady23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 15-11-13, 21:20   #7
Teddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady23 View Post
Just to comment on the goal setting, I appreciate enjoying the exercise but I think goal setting can ultimately increase the enjoyment.
Setting goals means better structure and ultimately better results.
I attended a lecture last night based on balancing sport and college/work life. Most well known speakers were Donnacha Ryan, John Mullane and Colin Regan.
Throughout the entire lecture all the speakers referred to goal setting as a major contributor to their success.
Perhaps you don't know what you want to achieve from exercise which is fine and although their situation is different because they are competing at a high level but setting goals sooner rather than later will definitely help.
Gl with it.

You're probably right and I'm sure I will set goals. I think in saying I'm not setting goals was more an attempt to get across I wouldn't be following a very structured work-out like most people do. I know it's common to have a set routine like 5x5 Chest/biceps, legs, Back/triceps or some variant of that. I've goals already in mind as what I'd like to do but I'll taking a different path to what is probably recommended to achieve those goals as that's what I should have said from the start.

Even if you don't write them down I think it's natural for everyone who does weights to think "I'd like to be able to lift X amount someday". I want to make sure I shape my routine around having fun while trying to achieve goals rather than shaping my routine around achieving my goals if that makes sense.
Old 16-11-13, 01:56   #8
brady23

Yeah definitely shape it around what you enjoy. Personally my out workouts are going through a transition. I used all summer to drop weight and get cardiovascular fit. Now that I have achieved that and continuously maintaining/slightly improving that, I have begun to move away from the standard back/bicep, chest/tricep etc.
Way more metcon, speed, flexibility and power work now. Newest goal is adding inches to my jump for basketball so I'll see how that goes.
As I said gl with it and hopefully you keep it up
brady23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-13, 20:32   #9
Teddie

Goals:

Deadlift: 75kgs, 100kgs, 125kgs, 150kgs
Squat: 65kgs, 75kgs, 100kgs, 125kgs

Dips: 5/10/15/20
chin-ups: 5/10/15/20
pull-ups: 5/10/15/20
Old 17-11-13, 20:38   #10
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

Have you seen something like Starting Strength through for six months or so?
Old 17-11-13, 21:14   #11
Teddie

Quote:
Have you seen something like Starting Strength through for six months or so?

No. Last gym I was in was terrible. Only had a smith machine so I didn't do squats and it wasn't very big so doing deadlifts weren't always possible.
Old 17-11-13, 21:23   #12
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddie View Post
No. Last gym I was in was terrible. Only had a smith machine so I didn't do squats and it wasn't very big so doing deadlifts weren't always possible.
Well I suppose you knew what my next post would be! If you have strength goals, the most efficient way to start working towards them is through simple progressive programming aiming to have limited work sets but adding weight each time.
Old 17-11-13, 21:37   #13
Teddie

Quote:
Well I suppose you knew what my next post would be! If you have strength goals, the most efficient way to start working towards them is through simple progressive programming aiming to have limited work sets but adding weight each time.

It's something I'll look at alright. I'd rather go with 5x5 program if I'm going down that route though. 5x3 is a bit boring.
Old 18-11-13, 12:54   #14
Mellor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddie;
I'd rather go with 5x5 program if I'm going down that route though. 5x3 is a bit boring.
What do you find biting about 5x3, that's not a part of 5x5.
Mellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-13, 13:12   #15
bohsman

Am on week 3 of strong lifts 5x5, gets a bit repetitive alright but I find the constant increasing weights enough motivation to keep it interesting so far.
bohsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-13, 15:30   #16
Teddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellor View Post
What do you find biting about 5x3, that's not a part of 5x5.

After 3 sets you're just getting into it I find so seems like a waste to stop their. I suppose I could just increase the warm-up or something but then why not just do a 5x5 program? Also I think starting out doing more reps will be better for me as it allows more practice on form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohsman View Post
Am on week 3 of strong lifts 5x5, gets a bit repetitive alright but I find the constant increasing weights enough motivation to keep it interesting so far.

I basically need to do either/ideally both squats or deadlifts in the gym to keep me happy. That kind of limits my options in terms of other weights options though.
Old 18-11-13, 15:49   #17
Teddie

Quickly learning the problem with not having a set routine. I waste far to much time wondering what to do rather than doing it so that's one I think I need to rectify asap. I think I'll go with 3 days of

Deadslifts 5x5
Squats 5x5
Bench 5x5
Shoulder press 5x5
Felxibility and core work

Today was the first time I tried deadlifts with the strict form. I found it quick uncomfortable at the bottom of the position in my calves so I need to work on my flexibility. This makes the rest of the lift quite difficult, found myself getting sore in the lower back by the 3rd set.

Deadlifts: 5x40kgs, 5x50kgs, 5x50kgs, 5x50kgs, 5x20kgs.

Dumb-bell squats: 8x10kgs, 8x10kgs, 8x1okgs.

Lunges: 10xnothing, 10x5kgs, 10x12.5kgs

First time doing lunges so started off easy then was happy to push it for last set.
Old 18-11-13, 23:06   #18
Mellor

Quote:
After 3 sets you're just getting into it I find so seems like a waste to stop their. I suppose I could just increase the warm-up or something but then why not just do a 5x5 program? Also I think starting out doing more reps will be better for me as it allows more practice on form.
If 3 work sets feel a little easy now, they they just haven't gotten heavy enough yet. They will pretty quick. I normally recommend people people so 5x5 initally, then drop to 3x5 when it gets heavier.

*Work sets. You know that the 5x5/3 refers to heaviest sets only. The work set.
Warm up sets aren't counted. I've seen people make that mistake before. and it might explain your comments about 5 vrs 3.

Eg, the deadlift sets above;
Quote:
Deadlifts: 5x40kgs, 5x50kgs, 5x50kgs, 5x50kgs, 5x20kgs.
...is 50kg 5x3, even though there's 5 sets. You hit it so move to 55kg next time.

Quote:
Today was the first time I tried deadlifts with the strict form. I found it quick uncomfortable at the bottom of the position in my calves so I need to work on my flexibility. This makes the rest of the lift quite difficult, found myself getting sore in the lower back by the 3rd set.
I once heard somebody comment that optimal form for bench, squat and deadlifts means your body is rigid and tensed is various directions which necessarily a comfortable position.

That said, there prob is an ankle flex issue here too. And lower back pain would suggest hip or thoracic mobility issues too

35 Betfair bonus
Mellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-13, 23:16   #19
Teddie

Quote:
If 3 work sets feel a little easy now, they they just haven't gotten heavy enough yet. They will pretty quick. I normally recommend people people so 5x5 initally, then drop to 3x5 when it gets heavier.

*Work sets. You know that the 5x5/3 refers to heaviest sets only. The work set.
Warm up sets aren't counted. I've seen people make that mistake before. and it might explain your comments about 5 vrs 3.

Eg, the deadlift sets above;

...is 50kg 5x3, even though there's 5 sets. You hit it so move to 55kg next time.

What's a general warm-up routine then? I know I'm meant to move up weight once I hit it but until my form gets better I think it's safer to just stick to 50kgs for the moment. Also one of the reasons I did 5x5 was because it allows more reps and hence more practice but I suppose I could just do that with warm-ups.

Quote:
I once heard somebody comment that optimal form for bench, squat and deadlifts means your body is rigid and tensed is various directions which necessarily a comfortable position.

That said, there prob is an ankle flex issue here too. And lower back pain would suggest hip or thoracic mobility issues too

The problem occurs before I do the usually procedures. I get the feet position, then bend down and grab the bar and as soon as I do that I'm thinking "ugh this uncomfortable". Then I'll square the shoulders, straight the back etc so feeling pain from simply getting into intial position can't be good. It also means that I'm naturally eager to stand up out of the stance asap to stop the discomfort which leads to me rushing it.

Know of a good source for flexibility guides?
Old 18-11-13, 23:48   #20
bohsman

Here's what SL recommends for 5x5 v 5x3, increasing 2.5kg per workout when you succeed..

• If you miss 5x5, try it again next workout. If you miss the same weight in three consecutive workouts, deload for that exercise only.
• Deload after three missed attempts with the same weight by lowering the weight by 10% for that exercise only. Increase the weight in 5lb increments from there.
• Keep doing StrongLifts 5x5 for as long as it works; don't start changing things for no reason.
• After two deloads on squats, switch from 5x5 to 3x5.
• After another two deloads on squats, switch from 3x5 to 1x5.

On stretching/flexibility I've been recommended this website - http://www.bodytrainer.tv/en/strengt...ing/index.html
bohsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:

Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Personal Logs