Irish Poker Boards
D4Events Feb17
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Personal Logs
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-16, 10:01   #41
eoghan104
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,306
I had a look at your card there. Some good stuff on it and the consistency will come, just keep at it!
eoghan104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 08-08-16, 10:07   #42
The Aul Switcharoo
Member
 
The Aul Switcharoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: waterford
Posts: 2,865
I know it's the cliche but a quick way to get down the handicaps is your short game. You can truly get so many shots by sharpening up your pitching and 100 yards and in. If you ever think you have a few hours on your own hit the course up. Don't even play 18. Go to an outer hole and drop and bring 30-35 balls and just pitch for an hour. It's good practice - both technically and mentally. It always gave me confidence with my pitching that I knew that I practice a lot

I got down to a society 7 handicap/GUI 10 without ever having a great long game. I was generally long and wayward off the tee but you can always make a recovery shot from anywhere. Always try to stay relaxed on the course. If you hit a stinker of a shot, leave out a bollocks and forget about it.
__________________
Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW
The Aul Switcharoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-16, 10:15   #43
eoghan104
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Aul Switcharoo View Post
Go to an outer hole and drop and bring 30-35 balls and just pitch for an hour.
Don't under any circumstances do this.

You are allowed play 2 balls on your own and that's it. There isn't a club in the country that allows someone hit 30-35 balls into a green. It would be wrecked in no time, that's what the practice area/range is for.
eoghan104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-16, 14:20   #44
Mickey Rosa
Member
 
Mickey Rosa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by eoghan104 View Post
I had a look at your card there. Some good stuff on it and the consistency will come, just keep at it!
Cheers I really appreciate that. Yeah I trust that practice will show through, really enjoying the lessons too.
__________________
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day. Gerry Thornley 23/3/09
Mickey Rosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 08-08-16, 14:22   #45
Mickey Rosa
Member
 
Mickey Rosa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Aul Switcharoo View Post
I know it's the cliche but a quick way to get down the handicaps is your short game. You can truly get so many shots by sharpening up your pitching and 100 yards and in. If you ever think you have a few hours on your own hit the course up. Don't even play 18. Go to an outer hole and drop and bring 30-35 balls and just pitch for an hour. It's good practice - both technically and mentally. It always gave me confidence with my pitching that I knew that I practice a lot

I got down to a society 7 handicap/GUI 10 without ever having a great long game. I was generally long and wayward off the tee but you can always make a recovery shot from anywhere. Always try to stay relaxed on the course. If you hit a stinker of a shot, leave out a bollocks and forget about it.
Thanks for the advice, I agree about the short game and have been picking a spot on the range with my 7-9 irons and trying to pick it out. Also working on my short pitch shots on the pitching green. As Eoghan says I don't think I'd last too long peppering any of the greens in Bray with 30 balls.
__________________
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day. Gerry Thornley 23/3/09
Mickey Rosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-16, 10:19   #46
Mickey Rosa
Member
 
Mickey Rosa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 700
Swing Update - Very rough but another lesson this afternoon and then 13 hole comp after that, seeing the swing on video is very helpful I feel.

__________________
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day. Gerry Thornley 23/3/09
Mickey Rosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-16, 10:28   #47
Mickey Rosa
Member
 
Mickey Rosa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 700
I will get some proper multi angle range videos soon. Might also pick up one of these because I can't resist data/tech and can't afford a trackman...

http://ernestsports.com/es14-pro.html
__________________
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day. Gerry Thornley 23/3/09
Mickey Rosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-16, 18:10   #48
TheJiggaman
Member
 
TheJiggaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,661
Just from that angle, your right arm is too stiff. It should be looser from the get-go. Left arm should be stiff/tight. Right arm should be looser.

More hip action probably needed too and the back and forward stroke.
TheJiggaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-16, 20:56   #49
Mickey Rosa
Member
 
Mickey Rosa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJiggaman View Post
Just from that angle, your right arm is too stiff. It should be looser from the get-go. Left arm should be stiff/tight. Right arm should be looser.

More hip action probably needed too and the back and forward stroke.
Thanks man. Just had a lesson tonight and you're bang on, feel like major strides were made in the lesson see I'll post an updated video soon. Incidentally I also played a 13 hold comp straight after the lesson. I played better in the main and was making great contacts with my irons and driver. Changed completely my putting stroke at the end of the lesson though so there was a lot of three putting.

Everything is very positive though.
__________________
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day. Gerry Thornley 23/3/09
Mickey Rosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-16, 17:34   #50
Mickey Rosa
Member
 
Mickey Rosa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 700
No golf today as it was Lady Captain's Prize Day in Bray. Hit the range yesterday and today and thought I was making great contacts with the ball. I had a P2 grip fitted to my putter yesterday too so between that and the new grip/action I've tried to spend a good portion of time each day on the putting green and I think I'm making small strides.

A brief look at the next two months is the following:

I am out of the country and probably away from golf clubs almost exclusively between the 16th of August and 7th of September. It's not ideal but this is the only time of year I can take holidays so needs must. I have plans to work on a number of things over this time which I can take care of away from the golf course which should aid on course (Some mental prep, course study, shot selection exercises and most importantly a goal list for the upcoming year).

I will try to play some level of golf tomorrow, Monday and Tuesday and will be practicing for sure on all three days so will update with my progress before I head away.
__________________
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day. Gerry Thornley 23/3/09
Mickey Rosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 13-08-16, 20:04   #51
NoRiverRequired
Member
 
NoRiverRequired's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Rosa View Post
No golf today as it was Lady Captain's Prize Day in Bray. Hit the range yesterday and today and thought I was making great contacts with the ball. I had a P2 grip fitted to my putter yesterday too so between that and the new grip/action I've tried to spend a good portion of time each day on the putting green and I think I'm making small strides.

A brief look at the next two months is the following:

I am out of the country and probably away from golf clubs almost exclusively between the 16th of August and 7th of September. It's not ideal but this is the only time of year I can take holidays so needs must. I have plans to work on a number of things over this time which I can take care of away from the golf course which should aid on course (Some mental prep, course study, shot selection exercises and most importantly a goal list for the upcoming year).

I will try to play some level of golf tomorrow, Monday and Tuesday and will be practicing for sure on all three days so will update with my progress before I head away.
Keep updating here its good to follow. Took the game back up myself this summer after a good few years not playing, been working hard on my short game coz that's where I'm really suffering score wise. Spent 90mins today with a wedge and bag of balls in the local park, slowly getting the soft touch back!
NoRiverRequired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-16, 21:41   #52
TheJiggaman
Member
 
TheJiggaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRiverRequired View Post
Keep updating here its good to follow. Took the game back up myself this summer after a good few years not playing, been working hard on my short game coz that's where I'm really suffering score wise. Spent 90mins today with a wedge and bag of balls in the local park, slowly getting the soft touch back!
Similar to me. Been playing my whole life but only getting back into it properly recently (when the long evenings are over though it'll be different ).

My short game was always dodgy but it's become more diverse recently and I'm mixing it up around the greens. Never played better in my life and most of it is down to my putting. Very simple little adjustments can make a world of difference in Golf. Some sport.
TheJiggaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-16, 00:07   #53
Mickey Rosa
Member
 
Mickey Rosa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 700
Off the waiting list and on to the time sheet at 7.40 am will throw a round report here at some point tomorrow.
__________________
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day. Gerry Thornley 23/3/09
Mickey Rosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-16, 00:09   #54
Mickey Rosa
Member
 
Mickey Rosa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 700
So up and out for 7.40 this morning after six hours sleep. Got to the course about 7.10 and got a good twenty minutes in on the putting green. I don't have a set putting warmup routine which I think will be helpful and is on the do list.

The competition was strokes off the blue tees. This was my first time off the blues and it's a different course with a few holes in particular becoming significantly more difficult off the back tees. The course plays 350 metres longer off the blues than whites.

Despite a par on the index one, 440 metres par 4, the front nine was one to utterly forget. Two lost balls off the tee due to simply trying to crush the ball off the longer tees made the card look very ugly. It was an extremely frustrating nine holes but I took solace from the fact that I never let the frustration boil over as I would have when I played a few years ago.

The back nine was a completely different story however and was easily the best golf I've played in my memory. I'm not going to break it down shot by shot but things finally started to come together. I ended up with gross 44 for the back nine which is a net two under par 34. Most importantly I think I left shots out there on the back nine, which made me even happier.

There is still so much to work on and most importantly I need to put it together for a full 18, but to play the back nine like that off the back tees had me walking off the course delighted.

I will most likely get a friendly round in tomorrow morning hopefully somewhere local but not Bray and will update here after that.
__________________
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day. Gerry Thornley 23/3/09
Mickey Rosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-16, 00:21   #55
Mickey Rosa
Member
 
Mickey Rosa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 700
Old Conna booked for 7.40am, serious value to be had.
__________________
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day. Gerry Thornley 23/3/09
Mickey Rosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Personal Logs

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 10:47.