Irish Poker Boards
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Personal Logs

Old 28-03-16, 22:18   #21
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

Fine effort on the scaled 16.4 Mellor. I was unable to do it last weekend but will come back to the RX with the objective of getting the first three elements done within the 13 minutes. It's brutal programming with the Deadlifts, but lol Castro

21 - 18 - 15 - 12 - 9 - 6 - 3
of
Thrusters @ 43kgs
Bar Hop / Bar facing Burpees

You get to see Castro himself suffer in the above video

So I gave this a shot myself Saturday morning. When you're 135kgs lads the prospect of 84 bar hop burpees is very grim indeed. Added to that, I don't have the rack mobility to have the bar on my shoulders in the thrusters and press out of it so I had to 'Chemerkin' each rep:

To warmup I stretched and mobilised fully; did some presses and front squats from the bar up to 50kgs; did a bunch of thrusters @ 50kgs; some bar hop burpees; and then hopped on the rower @ ~2:00 / 500 pace for ten minutes. After my heartrate came down I felt well prepared. I had forewarned my judge that sub 30mins was the aim.

This was the most awful workout I ever attempted. Opened with a set of nine on the thrusters and automatically your heartrate spikes up, and it just stays up there the rest of the way. The two movements are different but equally demanding. I got through the round of 21 in five minutes, and the round of 18 in 12 minutes. Ended up resting forever between thruster sets and crawling off the floor on each burpee. The thrusters became a real drag too as the effort of holding the bar up through the movement compounded as it went along. My time in the end was 28:53. This is slow, but a bunch of lads down the gym came in around ~25mins and we had one of the lads who slowly (and heroically) grinded his way through 37mins to the finish.

Everyone should try this - it's a brutally simple workout that requires minimal equipment and space but I guarantee you'll learn something about yourself during it.

After recovering for a half hour I judged / cajoled one of the coaches through to a 17:08 workout and I can confidently say afterwards that this workout will kick everyone's ass no matter what their level of strength or fitness. One of the coaches is ~65kgs with a gymnastics background and he posted a time within seconds of mine as the thrusters were as difficult for him as the burpees were for me.

I'll come back to 16.2 and 16.4 over the coming month or so - really feel this Open was an exceptional test across both the RX and Scaled divisions.

Last edited by LuckyLloyd; 28-03-16 at 22:22.
LuckyLloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
Old 28-03-16, 23:00   #22
Mellor

I hadn't check 16.5 yet. That looks grim, nice job getting it done. I'm not looking forward to this one. 30 minutes sounds about right, slow is fast.

35 Betfair bonus
Mellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-16, 23:31   #23
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

Rich Froning doing 16.4:

315 reps which led the way worldwide. Wow is all I can muster.
Old 28-03-16, 23:55   #24
Mellor

Did you see the Bridges' 16.4 video/fiasco?
Posts 330 reps, gets approved by HQ and they announce him as the winner.
Video comes out, lots dodgy reps, internet outrage, HQ docks him 15% of his score.

Now, Bridges has submitted the top score for 16.5.

Froning's score for 16.5 is blank.

35 Betfair bonus
Old 29-03-16, 00:05   #25
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

There's some fuck up every year it seems, and they are very bad at facing the music and addressing these things fully in their own media. Not a single one of his Deadlifts are up to scratch and, being honest, his score post a 15% reduction is ludicrously generous to him. Bad movement standards for 'speed' is a problem that plagues every Crossfit gym and HQ should really have their eye on the ball on that stuff.
Old 29-03-16, 06:03   #26
Mellor

TBH, even in his latest video, some of the thruster lockouts are questionable. He was top score in 16.1 too.

These guys will always make regionals whether they dick around chasing the top spot or not. it's the guys on the cusp of qualifying who'll screw each other out of legit places.

Edit:
I meant to ask, did you do 16.5 scaled, or Rx'd?

Quote:
Rx’d :
Men use 95 lb. (43 kg)

Scaled:
Men use 65 lb. (29 kg)

35 Betfair bonus

Last edited by Mellor; 29-03-16 at 06:07.
Old 29-03-16, 12:31   #27
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

RX'd - anytime I have the movements I'll do as prescribed
Old 29-03-16, 14:41   #28
Mellor

Ah balls, I can't dodge the Rx'd version now. I have the movements, I've done 21 x 43kg thrusters twice this year in Fran.
I've also be doing 10-9-8...3-2-1 thrusters and burpees. So I'm prob decently prepared for this one. By that, I meant I'll know I'll finish

35 Betfair bonus

Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Personal Logs