Irish Poker Boards
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Poker > Poker Theory, Strategy and Rulings > Rules and Rulings

Old 19-01-16, 23:04   #1
Flushdraw
The Gamesmaster

Substituting for a player in a tournament

Saw Liv Boeree post this on Facebook

Quote:
Interesting situation during the Aussie Millions tournament where a female player goes into labour fairly deep in the tourney and they allow her husband to sub in and play her stack from that point onwards. Could the fairest solution for all involved (and for future "unforeseen circumstance" situations like this) be to pay out the ICM value of the incapacitated player's stack, no? Can anyone suggest some better solutions?
It's hardly unforeseen that going into labour is a possibility when she is pregnant, but what should have happened to her stack? I think there could be another 20 options before allowing a sub be the right decision imo!

Edit - Found some links on Pokernews

http://www.pokernews.com/live-report...ost.245459.htm

He finished in 25th - http://www.pokernews.com/live-report...ips.134697.htm

Last edited by Flushdraw; 19-01-16 at 23:06.
Flushdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-16, 23:11   #2
shanboghted

tough shit her stack should be blinded out imo
shanboghted is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Old 19-01-16, 23:12   #3
Sickpuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flushdraw View Post
Saw Liv Boeree post this on Facebook

It's hardly unforeseen that going into labour is a possibility when she is pregnant, but what should have happened to her stack? I think there could be another 20 options before allowing a sub be the right decision imo!

Edit - Found some links on Pokernews

http://www.pokernews.com/live-report...ost.245459.htm

He finished in 25th - http://www.pokernews.com/live-report...ips.134697.htm
Despite the circumstances should be blinded away.
Sickpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 19-01-16, 23:16   #4
Flushdraw
The Gamesmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanboghted View Post
tough shit her stack should be blinded out imo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickpuppy View Post
Despite the circumstances should be blinded away.
Was thinking that myself. It's an unusual situation but i'm not sure if the situation has come up before where someone's family member has died, they ended up sick, broke a bone or whatever, but where do you draw the line?

Aussie Millions rules seem to cover it though. (2.13)
Flushdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-16, 23:18   #5
tylerdurden94
Ad-Min-Is-Trator Yo!

Something along the lines of the stack should be blinded out.
Old 19-01-16, 23:21   #6
Lord Sir Banter
Bantersaurus Rex m8

She should play through.

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $
Lord Sir Banter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-16, 23:42   #7
PokerPiper

Was she in the money at that point ? If so, at least she gets something for her trouble but either way I think blind the stack.
PokerPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-16, 00:48   #8
Arazi

The husband was obviously really concerned for the health of his wife and the birth of his child.
Arazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-16, 02:06   #9
Midnitekowby

I had to leave a decent stack behind itm of an ept when my father passed and saw the same thing happen another player at my table leaving under similar circumstances in the wsop main.

As the man said, tough shit you gotta get blinded out here.

Can't believe the substitution is in there rules, wide open to abuse.

Midnitekowby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-16, 03:21   #10
Mellor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flushdraw View Post
Aussie Millions rules seem to cover it though. (2.13)
To me that rules sounds like it is referring to transfer of an entry to another player before it has commenced. A previous rules refers to transferring it to a next years tourney.

Going into labour was hardly unforeseen, she knew she was pregnant when she entered. Should have blinded her out, and always broke "her" table when ever a table was being broken, to spread the advantage around.

€35 Betfair bonus
Mellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-16, 21:02   #11
kakak1

I also had to leave a tournament when we were all in the money when finishing up on the Saturday night, 24 players left I think. I had a very decent stack.

My mistake was in informing the operator that I would not be there on the Sunday and as a result my stack was removed & I was paid 24th place.

Had I just not shown up, said nothing the stack would have been blinded away & such were the speed of the exits I think I would have finished around 10th/11th.

TD's reasoning was because there was no chance of me showing up it was unfair especially to the players on my immediate left.
kakak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-16, 23:20   #12
westlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakak1 View Post
I also had to leave a tournament when we were all in the money when finishing up on the Saturday night, 24 players left I think. I had a very decent stack.

My mistake was in informing the operator that I would not be there on the Sunday and as a result my stack was removed & I was paid 24th place.

Had I just not shown up, said nothing the stack would have been blinded away & such were the speed of the exits I think I would have finished around 10th/11th.

TD's reasoning was because there was no chance of me showing up it was unfair especially to the players on my immediate left.
I've seen you play...... you would have finished 25th if you turned up!
Old 20-01-16, 23:49   #13
tylerdurden94
Ad-Min-Is-Trator Yo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellor View Post
To me that rules sounds like it is referring to transfer of an entry to another player before it has commenced. A previous rules refers to transferring it to a next years tourney.

Going into labour was hardly unforeseen, she knew she was pregnant when she entered. Should have blinded her out, and always broke "her" table when ever a table was being broken, to spread the advantage around.

Quote:
Where a substitute is nominated, entry into the Tournament will be transferred to the substitute and the substitute will act on behalf of the entrant, commencing or continuing play in the entrant’s stead and using any applicable bank of Tournament chips allocated to or accumulated by the entrant.
Quote:

I've seen something like this but they would move that stack every level as to not give advantage to other players & abuse to the SB.
Old 20-01-16, 23:56   #14
Mellor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
Not sure how I missed that whole indented paragraph

€35 Betfair bonus
Mellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-16, 14:26   #15
Atlantispoker

Quote:

That a horrible ruling :-(
Atlantispoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Irish Poker Boards > Poker > Poker Theory, Strategy and Rulings > Rules and Rulings