Irish Poker Boards
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Personal Logs

Old 08-01-11, 18:54   #1
FeetMagic

Get healthy and fit of course

Alright, I wasn't going to bother with a log because my plans for the year, health and fitness wise, were quite similiar to Lao Lao's plans posted here and I got a ton of good info from there so didn't see the need. But I do have a few q's and there's no harm in having a thread to keep me motivated http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...ead.php?t=7246
My aims aren't too specific. I'm not looking for any drastic weight loss, however I would like to cut some fat especially around the stomach area but I'm hoping this will come as a by-product of my main aim which is to be able to participate in a triathalon by the year's end.

At the minute I'm in decent shape physically but am very unfit. I'm 5'11' and roughly 12-12.5 stone. Basically my plan is to hit the gym 4-5 times a week and alternate between cardio and weights. I will most likely focus on the programme Emmet posted in the above thread and focus on high intensity interval training on the treadmill/bike/cross-trainer, most likely alternating the days between cardio and weights. I haven't been in the gym in a few weeks now with Christmas and all that but will be back in again on Monday.

The other thing is diet. My diet wasn't great the past year but wasn't terrible either. Anyway, over the last few days I've tried to incorporate some of the advice from Lao Lao's thread into my diet.

I'll give yesterday's and today's meals so far:

Yesterday:

Breakfast: One boiled, one bowl of 4 weetabix, normal milk

Lunch: Big tin of tuna

Dinner: Steak, mushrooms, brocolli, carrots, potatoes. Now that wouldnt be a regular dinner for me; it's alot healthier than I'd usually have but I'm going to try keep it up.

Late night snack: Bowl of 4 weetabix, milk.

Today:

Breakfast: Two boiled eggs.

Lunch: A white roll with butter, smoked salmon, lettuce and black pepper.

Dinner: Roast chicken with potatoes, carrots, cauliflower, sprouts, gravy.

Some of the foods I regularly intake that may have to be axed: milk (~2 litres a day), bread (eat quite a lot of rolls), smoked salmon, pasta & pasta sauces, potatoes. Would have been eating a fair amount of junk food but obv I realise I have to avoid this.
Now considering my aim isn't exactly to lose weight, more get fit and cut some fat, is it important that I drop the above items? I would find milk pretty hard to drop completely but I can certainly cut it down. I will drop the white bread pretty easily. Not sure if the smoked salmon is even bad but I'm sure it's not good.

The thing is I have no problem having a protein-heavy diet as outlined in LaoLao's thread but I have trouble having a dinner with no carbs. I'll happily guzzle through a large amount of tuna, turkey, chicken, steak etc but it's very rare I'd have a dinner without spuds/pasta/rice. What sort of alternatives do ye recommend? I read Jackybacks post in the thread that was very good and gave a few ideas for good foods but most of the dinner plans were protein-rich meats accompanied by just salad or veg. Anyone know about the pastas available in health shops, would they be any use?
FeetMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-11, 23:10   #2
Jackyback
Ironman

You probably don't want to hear it but i would reduce your milk intake and replace full fat with slimline when you are using it. Likewise on the white bread i would try cut this out also. Eating pasta is ok in moderation and can be used as a replacement to some meals instead of boring salad Your height/weight ratio is not too bad at all, have you had any BMI / BF assesment done as this will give you an idea on what your starting point is.

If you are training 4/5 times a week in particular doing weights try get a good bit of protein into your diet for muscle recovery. Best of luck with the log
Jackyback is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 09-01-11, 22:11   #3
Mellor

Smoked salmon is fine imo,
but the rest have to go, bread milk rice spuds, or at least be cut down, as these never reallly go totally.
As for an alternative to carbs, i'm a big fan of broccolli and cauliflower as veggies. High in vitamins and antioxidents (eg broccolli has almost twice the vitamin c as oranges /100g), plus they are low in carbs and calories

35 Betfair bonus
Mellor is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Old 10-01-11, 14:50   #4
FeetMagic

Cheers for the advice. Diet seems to be going alright. Had a chicken fillet last night with some veg and just one spud but tonight I'll just go for the meat and some veg. Heading to the gym in a while and I'm planning on doing cardio today. Just wondering, with regard the swimming, are there programmes that people use in the water or would ye just get in and aim for a certain number of lenghts? Also, is there any advantage in doing the different strokes or should I just stick to the front crawl?
Old 10-01-11, 15:07   #5
Jackyback
Ironman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeetMagic View Post
Cheers for the advice. Diet seems to be going alright. Had a chicken fillet last night with some veg and just one spud but tonight I'll just go for the meat and some veg. Heading to the gym in a while and I'm planning on doing cardio today. Just wondering, with regard the swimming, are there programmes that people use in the water or would ye just get in and aim for a certain number of lenghts? Also, is there any advantage in doing the different strokes or should I just stick to the front crawl?
Here is 17 swim sessions i normally use and vary in my training. If your starting from scratch you may want to reduce the distances until you build up your swim endurance and also build from the earlier routines as they are shorter.
This site is also very helpful. Apologies about layout but i cannot attach an excel file.

# Swim Session Description
1 300 warm up, 8x50 drills, 12 x100 @20sec, 8x50 drills and 200 cool down
2 300 warm up, 8x50 drills, 3x125 @ 20sec, 2x175 @ 30 secs, 3x125 @ 20secs, 8x50 drills and 200 cool down
3 300 warm up, 8x50 drills, 16x25 @ 10 secs, 1x400 @ 60 secs, 16x25 @ 10 secs, 8x50 drills and 200 cool down
4 300 warm up, 8x50 drills, 1x300 @ 40 secs, 3x200 @ 30 secs, 1x300 @ 30 secs, 8x50 drills and 200 cool down
5 2500 straight swim at comfortable pace (75-80% perceived effort)
6 500 warm up, 8x50 drills, 4x200 @ 20 secs, 6x100 @ 15 secs, 8x50 drills and 300 cool down
7 500 warm up, 8x50 drills, 16x25 @ 10 secs, 600 pull, 16x25 drills @ 10 secs, 8x50 drills and 300 cool down
8 500 warm up, 8x50 drills, 10x50 @ 15 secs, 4x100 @ 20 secs, 10x50 @ 15 secs, 8x50 drills and 300 cool down
9 500 warm up, 8x50 drills, 200-300-400-500 @ 45 secs, 8x50 drills and 300 cool down
10 500 warm up, 8x50 drills, 7x125 @ 20 secs, 7x75 @ 15 secs, 8x50 drills and 300 cool down
11 3000 straight swim at comfortable pace (75-80% perceived effort)
12 500 warm up, 8x50 drills, 12x75 @ 20 secs, 12x50 @ 15 secs, 12x25 @ 10 secs, 8x50 drills and 300 cool down
13 500 warm up, 8x50 drills, 5x400 @ 45 secs, 8x50 drills, 300 cool down
14 500 warm up, 8x50 drills, 6x(50+100+150) @ 20 secs, 8x50 drills, 300 cool down
15 500 warm up, 8x50 drills, 5x200 @ 30 secs, 5x100 @ 20 secs, 5x50 @ 10 secs, 6x25 @ 5 secs, 8x50 drills and 300 cool down
16 500 warm up, 8x50 drills, 3x150 @ 20 secs, 4x250 @ 30 secs, 3x150 @ 20 secs, 8x50 drills and 300 cool down
17 3500 straight swim at comfortable pace (75-80% perceived effort)
Jackyback is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 12-01-11, 12:36   #6
FeetMagic

Okay so I went to the gym on Monday and yesterday. Had forgotten how unfit I was. Did some interval training on the crosstrainer, a bit of running and some cycling but barely even clocked up 4k overall. So I have a lot to work on fitness wise. On Tuesday I was only in for a short while so did a small mix of weights and cardio and then went swimming. Again, I had forgotten how bad I was at this too, barely managing 10 lengths in a 25m pool.

Diet wise I have stuck to some things quite well. My breakfast every day has been two eggs. Meant to ask it is alright to be eating this amount of eggs or should I find an alternative protein source for breakfast? I had one slip up yesterday at lunch opting for chips and sausages. Dinner was chicken, brocolli, cauliflower, corn, rice and uncle bens sweet and sour sauce. Dinner the night before was a lot of tuna, some pasta and a tomato sauce. So I think I'm doing quite well on the diet front, obviously I need to drop the sauces and try not to go for a fatty lunch again but overall it has been going decent. I haven't had any junk food snacks and am eating a healthy amount of fruit and veg. So all in all, an okay start but plenty of work to do fitness wise.
Old 04-03-14, 11:00   #7
FeetMagic

Endurance (28/02):

~13.5km run @ 1:10.

Meh, should've done more. It's 4 weeks til the marathon and I haven't even run half the distance yet and I'm not sure I will tbh. Don't enjoy it at all and it's hard to do 2 hours + of something you don't want to be doing. I will get through the 42km on the day through jogging and walking; I just won't get it done in an impressive time.

Strength (03/02):

Squat: 100kg x 5 x 5
Bench: 80kg x 5 x 5
DL: 130kg x 5, 120kg x 5, 110kg x 5, 100kg x 5 - each supersetted with 10 pull ups.

Quite happy with that workout. Squats were much deeper than I was doing @ 110kg. Bench & DL were at perfect weights too I think.
Old 04-03-14, 20:13   #8
FeetMagic

Strength (04/03):

Squat: 100kg x 5 x 5
Press: 57.5kg x 3, 55kg x 5, 4, 52.5kg x 4, 50kg x 5 x 2
Chin ups: 8 x 5
Barbell row: 30kg x 8 x 2, 40kg x 8 x 2, 50kg x 8 x 1
Weighted pull ups: +20kg x 5, 5, 4

Squats were ok - legs were definitely feeling yesterday's efforts.

Disappointed with the press but I thought I had loaded 55 and was going to do 5 x 5 so I think I noticed the extra 2.5 and it threw me. Still, overall they were pretty poor. It's an exercise I need to research as I never really got any pointers and am probably missing something as it's one I never really make decent progress with.

I've never done the barbell row and wanted to add more barbell strength exercises so gave it a go. I don't think it's the standard method based on what I've seen in gyms but I'm doing it from the floor and returning it to floor each rep (saw this as optimal method on bodybuilding.com). I was just getting a feel for it here, was ok but will need someone to look at form.

Happy with the pull ups - the weight slipped on last rep so I continued on and did 4 x BW so I'd imagine I had the 5x3 in me.
Old 25-08-11, 10:38   #9
Emmet
Bashful the next day

Get out the sweeping brush and practise the compound barbell lifts before you start in the gym. You'll feel a bit silly but form is vitally important.
Emmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-11, 11:25   #10
Moneymaker

Send a message via MSN to Moneymaker Send a message via Skype™ to Moneymaker
Or just use the bar itself with no weights on it.

As Emmet said, form >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> weight

I see lads in my gym doing 100kg squats and they barely move, it's laughable actually.
Moneymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-12, 12:12   #11
Mellor

Yeah the rower is pretty well regarded for cardio workouts. It's much better than the treadmill for intervals as you stop and start instantly.
Plus it engages your whole body a bit better.

Im going to give number 2 a shot on Monday, not looking forward to number 4.
Just to clarify. Do one of the above per session, maybe 2 of the shorter/easier ones.
Thanks From:
Old 23-05-12, 18:32   #12
FeetMagic

Was thinking you'd be a serious machine to be doing all that haha! Didn't make the gym today and won't be back exercising until Sat but I'll do my best to keep the calories in check.

3 egg whites, 2 full eggs (240)
1 coffee w m/s (110)
Tuna salad on sandwich w crips (450) & cup of soup (150)
1 steak w veg & pepper sauce (400)

Total intake: 1350 kcals
Old 24-05-12, 07:26   #13
FeetMagic

Quote:
Was thinking you'd be a serious machine to be doing all that haha! Didn't make the gym today and won't be back exercising until Sat but I'll do my best to keep the calories in check.

3 egg whites, 2 full eggs (240)
1 coffee w m/s (110)
Tuna salad on sandwich w crips (450) & cup of soup (150)
1 steak w veg & pepper sauce (400)

Total intake: 1350 kcals
Shouldn't have blazed up last night Total intake ended up at 2600 kcals!

Today will be a surplus too as I'm out tonight. ATM I'll settle for 75.5kg come Monday knowing I'll have had a surplus 2/7 possibly 3 though. I know I pretty much can't smoke the rest of these 2 weeks if I want to hit my targets.
Old 24-05-12, 23:45   #14
Moneymaker

Send a message via MSN to Moneymaker Send a message via Skype™ to Moneymaker
Cross trainer is also awesome. My weapon of choice personally but the rower is good also.

Treadmill is only good if you actively wish to destroy your knee joints and give yourself shin splints.

10-15mins of interval training, after each weights session = watch the fat vanish.

Would be something like this;

20s @ 50%, 10s @ 95%. 10 mins = 20 intervals.

You can shorten/lengthen to match your capabilities. That's the beauty of HITT, it's entirely relative and stupidly beneficial for you. When I did it all the time I could pump out 16mins with 10/10 intervals. Only gone back to doing it recently once again to strip bf and I can only manage 12m at 20/10 right now.

It's also much shorter then cardio and a lot less boring as you're too wrecked to be bored.
Moneymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 26-05-12, 15:21   #15
FeetMagic

So the 24th was ~2600 kcals & 25th was about the same. Yesterday was even worse with diet as follows:

Toasted chicken & cheese sandwich
Iceberger, 2 chocolate bars, 1 pack of popcorn, 1 large pack of Minstrels
4 slices Dominoes pizza, 4 cookies, 2 cans of coke

Had a decent bit of vodka too so est ~4000 kcals intake

Today was legs/shoulders, did a good workout & diet back on track today. Will be same story tomorrow & Mon and then weigh in.

2 eggs (180)
Protein shake (250)
Chicken curry w small amout of pasta for lunch & dinner (~700 kcals)
Old 30-06-12, 02:50   #16
Mellor

If you toggle the display button and also the units button you can display various info to you liking. I like time and avg/500m.
You can also go into the log from the menu and review the last few workouts.
Thanks From:
Old 04-07-12, 11:12   #17
FeetMagic

Even though I've bitched & moaned about how much I hated cutting I'm going back to it. I came to the conclusion that there is no point starting a bulk when within a month the majority of my workouts are going to be triathalon-focused. I've got a decent program that involves intermittent fasting & only eating the healthiest of foods so am going to give it a go from Saturday on (one final drinking session for the month on Fri). Additionally I will be doing starting strength (the one with bench press/press & pull ups/chin ups alternating) 3x a week & cardio 2/3 other days of the week allowing 1 or 2 rest days.

Sample day of the diet is as follows:

• 08:30 am: 500ml’s water with a full lemon squeezed in
• 08:30 am: 1 litre of water with 1 tablespoon of wheatgrass mixed in
• 12pm: Chicken & celery salad, 1g Omega 3 fish oil
• 2pm: Handful of almonds
• 4pm: Large green salad with turkey & watercress, 1g Omega 3 fish oil
• 5:30pm: Workout, post-workout shake
• 7:30pm: : Salmon fillet cooked in coconut oil with 2 cups broccoli & cauliflower, 1g Omega 3
• 9 pm: Cup of green tea

Will start SS tonight & get my max for 5*3 for the lifts. Will also weigh in.
Old 04-07-12, 11:25   #18
Emmet
Bashful the next day

you have almost no fat in your diet!?
Emmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-12, 11:40   #19
FeetMagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmet View Post
you have almost no fat in your diet!?
Ya you're right. This diet was given to me by a PT but looks v short on fat alright. I might have to add 2/3 tablespoons of olive oil to every salad.
Old 04-07-12, 11:51   #20
Keane
Martingale Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Keane
Quote:
Ya you're right. This diet was given to me by a PT but looks v short on fat alright. I might have to add 2/3 tablespoons of olive oil to every salad.
Chop in some avocado maybe?

Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Personal Logs