Irish Poker Boards
GG Poker May 17
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Community & Games

Old 30-12-16, 23:01   #1
BennyHiFi

Running (up that hill)

Do you run?

Do you want to run?

Does running confuse you and sometimes you hate runners and other times you wish you were one?

IPB has more than a few regular runners now as well as a handful of occasional joggers and plenty of curious couch-to-5K-ers some of whom have graduated to park runs, 10Ks, half marathons and marathons.

So you know what to do!

I'll start...
BennyHiFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-16, 23:18   #2
BennyHiFi

Goals for 2017? (Distance? PB? Just getting out and running?)

I plan to run 1000Km again. Fifty 10Km runs on average, about 2 per week on average.

Plus four half-marathons somewhere in the middle of that.

In as diverse locations as possible.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BOkWNFkDH5P/?taken-by=neo_narratives
Thanks From:
Old 31-12-16, 01:47   #3
Lazare
GFML

Great idea for a thread Benny, and great timing.

Cross-post from boards..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazare
I was a walking cliche last new years day, wandering around Elvery's buying running gear with my one4all vouchers. So this time last year my 2016 goals were to not waste my xmas bonus on dust collectors.

Thankfully I caught the bug and am a totally changed person, drinking cut back, smoking kicked for good.

My goals for 2017, now that I've a full year of running as a base are to run a race every month starting with my first ever one at the Raheny 5mile, culminating with my one main goal, Dublin City Marathon. My goal for that right now is to simply finish it, running.

I'd like to get a sub20 5k along the way too, currently at 22:15.

Overall though, I want to keep enjoying it as much as I do now.
Old 31-12-16, 18:25   #4
Strewelpeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyHiFi View Post
Goals for 2017? (Distance? PB? Just getting out and running?)

I plan to run 1000Km again. Fifty 10Km runs on average, about 2 per week on average.

Plus four half-marathons somewhere in the middle of that.

In as diverse locations as possible.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BOkWNFkDH5P/?taken-by=neo_narratives

That almost exactly the same plan as I have in mind for myself this year.

Going absolutely mental having been off for three weeks with a groin injury and doing a core strength program from the physio that I hope is working. I could be cycling and swimming away but I've only managed two swims and one cycle in the down time.
Its just so easy to stop and go for a run compared with all the hassle of getting dressed for the bike, fitting it in with the short days and havoing to start ad fionish from home rather than from wherever you are when there is a free hour.

Physio is confident that he can fix me up and says if I follow his plan the only reason I wouldn't do a marathon next year is that I don't want to at the same time he says I'll be doing less running but with more intensity which tbh I don't like the sound of because plodding along forever is my kind of thing.

So the plan at the moment is hopefully by Feb I'll be back up to around 25K a week and will be building up the bike and pool sessions towards the goal of doing either Tri Athy or Lough Cutra olympic at the end of May start of June.
Not going to set a plan for the rest of the tri season until I've done that, I'll see how I feel after but provisionally I'm thinking that I might set a target of doing one or more of
  • Participating in enough qualifying events to enter Liffey swim
  • Half distance tri in August / September
  • Marathon

According to Garmin my records are
5K25:22 5:04 min/km Mar 4, 2015 
10K51:37 5:10 min/km Feb 7, 2015 
Half Marathon1:58:54 5:38 min/km Dec 6, 2014 
Farthest24.23 km   Aug 18, 2014 

Not sure if I'll be setting a target of beating any of those except farthest
Old 31-12-16, 21:08   #5
BennyHiFi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strewelpeter View Post
That almost exactly the same plan as I have in mind for myself this year...

...Not going to set a plan for the rest of the tri season until I've done that, I'll see how I feel after but provisionally I'm thinking that I might set a target of doing one or more of
  • Participating in enough qualifying events to enter Liffey swim
  • Half distance tri in August / September
  • Marathon

According to Garmin my records are
5K25:22 5:04 min/km Mar 4, 2015 
10K51:37 5:10 min/km Feb 7, 2015 
Half Marathon1:58:54 5:38 min/km Dec 6, 2014 
Farthest24.23 km   Aug 18, 2014 

Not sure if I'll be setting a target of beating any of those except farthest
That's a savage time for 10K for a man of your... ahem... vintage if you don't mind me saying so.

My PB (in my 40s) is 57 mins and i doubt if i'l ever get faster without a dedicated speed training plan.

I could do around 51mins in my early 30s but i'm about two stone heavier despite having run 4000Km in the last four years.

But like you i'm much less concerned about times these days than just consistently racking up the miles. Thats what i like. Timing is a great motivator and measurer but things like looking for new runs is higher up my priority list these days.

In 2016 i ran in Cairo, the Burren, south Derry, Tipperary, Clontarf, Drimnagh, Crumlin, Sandymount Strand, Dollymount Strand and Dublin city centre (about a dozen different routes).

Personally i hope you do the marathon - with two runners (you and Lazare) we have enough to form a market or two
3 Thanks From:
Old 03-01-17, 20:54   #6
tipp86
LifeNit

I plan on giving running a shot for the first few months of the year as I dont like going out on the bike in this weather.

I think I will stick to around the 5k mark with an emphasis on speed. I have no idea what my fitness level is like in regards to this but I will post my first and perhaps one again around Paddys day as someone mentioned.
Old 04-01-17, 14:15   #7
BennyHiFi

First 10km of the year done in a leisurely 1:02:08 (i'm not in any rush at the minute as you can tell!)

Just 990Km to go...
3 Thanks From:
Old 31-12-16, 09:40   #8
FeetMagic

I run once or twice a week as part of broader fitness training (get very bored if focused on one activity). Last year's plan was similar to you Lazare in running a 10km race every month. Did one for at least the first 6 months but watching London marathon highlights persuaded me to sign up to a marathon in August and ended up doing a second one in October. I doubt I'll do another one for a few years as they felt damaging at the time. Goal this year is monthly 10km races and a sub 45 10km (PB high 46s), sub 20 5km (PB low 20s) and 5 min mile (PB 5:30ish) so very in line with Lazare! I've been out of action since early October so it will take the first few months to get back to peak fitness and build from there.
FeetMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
Old 31-12-16, 12:23   #9
BennyHiFi

I ran the Belfast marathon in 2003 (4hrs 15sec) but injured myself in the run up to it on an 18mile training run and fecked my knee quite badly during it so decided it unlikely i'll ever do another.

I'd never say never but having ticked that box i wouldn't be running back (pun intended) to do another.

It's a fantastic challenge and looking forward to hearing about Lazare's progress!
Thanks From:
Old 31-12-16, 13:31   #10
ionapaul

I'm a fairly regular Parkrunner and run a bit during each week as well. My main goal in 2017 is to finally hit sub-20 for a 5k; managed a new PB this morning, 20:13 so on paper it's not too far away but in reality I just couldn't do it right now!

I'd also like to run a 10k at some stage, very slowly, to see how I'd do. Not much interest in doing anything longer right now, despite being in awe of everyone I saw on the Dublin Marathon route while out cheering a friend, I'm just not built for longer runs I think.
ionapaul is online now   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Old 31-12-16, 14:27   #11
Lazare
GFML

Of course you are Paul, with that 5k time you've obviously got an impressive Vo2 max. Do plenty of long slow runs at about 6 min per k to build endurance and you'll fly it.

I saw a guy with moobs still running at the 23mile mark.
Old 31-12-16, 14:31   #12
colm_leche

2017 Running Goal is to stay injury free and look for slow steady improvement. 5K is currently 23:12, down from about 28 minutes at the start of 2016.
colm_leche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-16, 15:49   #13
BennyHiFi

i'm running lots during work at the minute, 10K over my lunch hour.

From Merrion Square, down past Lansdowne Road, around Sandymount, through Irishtown Nature Reserve and under the Poolbeg chimneys. It's pretty awesome.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BNiQpwQD...neo_narratives

https://www.instagram.com/p/BNiQcV2j...neo_narratives
Thanks From:
Old 31-12-16, 16:48   #14
MrsFlushdraw
5 Star Mammy

I am in awe of you guys! I hope to be posting some good stuff this time next year!
MrsFlushdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
Old 31-12-16, 18:30   #15
dobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
I am in awe of you guys! I hope to be posting some good stuff this time next year!
Don't mind next year, start this week, use Paddys day as a target and post your progress then. If you struggle, come here for a kick in the hole and some advice. Start at a pace you're comfy with, even start walking and just try and beat yourself every time. GL with it. You can do it!
dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
Old 06-01-17, 21:09   #16
FeetMagic

Ran two 5kms over the past 2 days, first ones in months. 23:04 and 24:12, a good bit off where I hope to be in a couple of months but happy to last the distance.
FeetMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Old 06-01-17, 22:23   #17
ionapaul

Who's Parkrunning tomorrow? Thinking of Marlay for the 1st time.
Old 06-01-17, 22:37   #18
Lazare
GFML

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionapaul View Post
Who's Parkrunning tomorrow? Thinking of Marlay for the 1st time.
Yep, I'm doing my usual though, Griffeen.

Keep meaning to do a bit of parkrun tourism, Marlay definitely top of the list. Gets great numbers.

Want to do Malahide too.
Old 06-01-17, 23:24   #19
ionapaul

I like the idea of going down the country for a weekend away and taking in a new Parkrun on the Saturday morning; there are some really scenic ones out there supposedly! Think I've six or seven different courses under my belt, but that's nothing, there's a guy from Northern Ireland who'se done over 50 courses north and south, which is amazing.

Malahide good fun, but not the fastest course out there. You should definitely try Shanganagh when next ready to aim for a PB, it is fairly fast.
2 Thanks From:
Old 07-01-17, 10:26   #20
BennyHiFi

Still waiting to pop my park run cherry.

Got as far as registering and printing out the barcodes but it's prime hang time with my kid while his mammy gets a well deserved lie.

Tymon Park is only 10 mins away so i'll get there eventually.

You'd really want to be in love with running 5Km though to drive all over the country just to run for 20 or 25 mins in my opinion.

At the beginning i'd drive for maybe an hour to get to a 10km but soon got fed up with the run-to-drive ratio and now would only jump in the car to drive more than 10 or 15 mins for a half marathon.

Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Community & Games